Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest, I have no idea how you can play any video game on the market if hearing the same voice in two roles ruins your suspension of disbelief. I don't mean that in an offensive way, it's just that there's so much overlap and so few voice actors that you'll inevitably hear the same few people over and over and even the best voice actors in the world have a limited enough range they'll probably recycle voices eventually.

I know that comes across as "what's wrong with you" but I don't mean it that way. I just don't get how it could happen here and not in "Troy Baker voices everyone ever" games. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ideally, voice actors have range and don't have to sound exactly the same at every role they ever take. Which didn't happen with the Boss, which left me wondering when I was going to hear a SWAT Cats reference or a comical news update in the middle of her beating the poo poo out of Snake at the end of Virtuous Mission.

Lori Alan has literally been acting since she was five and has demonstrated a lot of range. The fact that you can recognize similar voices among her roles does not mean she doesn't have range. Billy West does half the voices in Futurama but he also basically used his Fry voice for Skeets in Justice League Unlimited. It's a side effect of being one person.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Steve Blum has an excuse, he's literally told to sound the same despite a proven ability to do some crazy poo poo. I don't know about Jennifer Hale, I've only heard one role of hers across three games, it's basically her biggest spoken role yet.

You never played Bioshock Infinite? Knights of the Old Republic? Tales of Symphonia? Mercenaries? Hale is super-prolific.

Actually considering the thread we're in, she was Naomi in MGS4.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 28, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

She also played Emma in MGS2.

God drat it Otacon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Celery Face posted:

I'm replaying MGS2 and I just realized something: why did Emma decide to work on an offshore oil rig if she was afraid of heights and insanely afraid of water?

She probably didn't have a choice. It wasn't like she could get them to work on her stuff somewhere else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

swamp waste posted:

That scene is cool. A giant battleship just cut Manhattan in half and the former president who is also Snake and a terrorist is lying dead in the arms of the George Washington statue, wearing future samurai armor, and everyone is nonchalantly milling around like the Puerto Rican Day parade just went around the corner or something. Okay I guess!! In a way it captures a state of bizarre shock better than having a bunch of reaction shots of people screaming or whatever.

e: pretty sure that scene was written before 9/11 but was it directed and rendered by then too? Cause how surreal must that have been for the people working on it

They had to literally just cut a big chunk of the final scene out because of 9/11. It was entirely done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's funny, I had the opposite reaction, and I literally squealed when the Platinum Games logo appeared.

Same. I was only moderately caring about MGR before that happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It appears to be some kind of Shadow Moses redux or something? The Darpa Chief showed up for a minute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So is this like teh general MetaL Gear Solid thread? Because I was curious to hear some other people's thoughts on this.

Which MG game do you think had the best soundtrack?

Although every MG game I've ever seen has some good music, including the old MSX titles, I don't think any of them can compete with the original MGS. The OST is just perfect from beginning to end.

It isn't even a question. Rising.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You recognize Troy Baker from somewhere because Troy Baker is in loving everything these days. He's been Batman AND the Joker. He was both Booker DeWitt and Joel from The Last of Us. Dude is everywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neurion posted:

Oh. I need to get out more. :(

I would suggest getting out more would make you LESS likely to recognize a prolific video game voice actor!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

You wouldn't spell Claude like that in Japanese that picture is someone naming him Hiroaki. Claude would be クロード and isn't the same pronunciation or spelling as Cloud's default name of クラウド. I don't think there is any truth to Cloud ever being Claude at all.

And Vic Boss is just how they translated Boss of Victory. Which is a pretty sweet name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHNSmSIDlA&t=36s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MDVtRQsdlu8#t=435

Also for the record I have the Japanese artbook. Cloud is intentionally named Cloud as in the white fluffy things in the sky. This is mentioned in the artbook Aerith is named Aerith as a transliteration of the English word Earth. It's supposed to be "Cloud and Earth" as a stupid Japanese name thing. It is in no way supposed to be Claude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I also don't agree that glorifying psychopathy as the cure for PTSD is better writing. Solid Snake retiring to Alaska to drink himself to death in solitude is a tad more realistic and less horrible don't you think?

Uh, they're not glorifying psychopathy. The entire core of the story is that Raiden suffered immense trauma problems and that he can't actually magically cure them or make them go away. His entire thing is "I am extremely hosed up and even though I try to pretend otherwise it hasn't gone away just because I wished really hard, I don't want that to happen to anyone else."

At no point are you looking at Raiden and going "man, there's a healthy together guy who has gotten over his trauma" and the game doesn't present it as such. It presents him as a sad broken person desperately fighting to make sure nobody else ends up like him because he's so immensely hosed up. There isn't a cure for being raised as a child soldier and the best Raiden can do is hope nobody else ends up like his hosed up rear end.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is why I don't like sequels. Raiden was happy at the end of 2? Let's make him a miserable death-seeker. Meryl realized that her dream of being a soldier was just a way to try and understand "her father" that she never got to know? Let's have her still be a soldier and rip off Mr. and Mrs. Smith. There's so much inconsistent characterization in MGS4 that it hurts me.

... Raiden wasn't happy at the end of MGS2. He'd just been forced to kill the closest thing to a parent he'd ever known at the manipulation of a horrible group of Illuminati and the only person he may have any form of connection with was a traitor who was using him.

You have a weird-rear end idea of a happy ending if you thought that was going to end well for Raiden.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

And it's entirely logical that Newt died at the start of Aliens 3 thus invalidating the climax of Aliens. It makes sense because of reasons, just like Raiden being depressed makes sense because of reasons.

Only why does Aliens 3 exist and why does MGS4 exist? No reason. They are unnecessary and unwanted.

Actually it does make complete sense. It's immensely nihilistic and depressing but it makes sense and is a logical continuation of the themes expressed in the film. Alien 3 actually makes a bit more sense as a followup to Alien 1 than it does Aliens. It's infinitely more nihilistic but not out of place.

This is actually true for Terminator 2. In fact Terminator 2 flat-out rejects the idea introduced by the first film in favor of something optimistic but completely out of tone while Terminator 3 goes "nope, first film was right."

However in the case of both those films, the second film was way more positive than the first first film. The second Metal Gear game is exactly the opposite. It is a game about the player and player-character being used against their will and at no point do they really get to break free of that control and instead they do exactly what the villains want for the most part.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can only find a tumblr screenshot of it, now that I'm on a real computer, but it was a real tweet.

Man, I thought he wrote "chin" there for a moment and thought the trend of chin-scraping would carry on in MGSV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

If everything integrates well I'm convinced this game will keep me busy well beyond 2015. Was that last screenshot just a normal tablet or a vita? Does Sony do a tablet for the ps4, or are there no more details about it? It looks strange having it connected to the screen or the system, defeating the purpose.

Normal tablets can connect to Sony stuff. Sony put out a special app for Beyond: Two Souls for example that lets you use a tablet as a controller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spalec posted:

Yeah, the flippy missile backflips aren't the problem, it's the fact Snake does them which has never been seen otherwise. If Grey Fox appeared and did the missile backflip bit it'd be fine.

Snake slow-motion flips out of the way of a tank shot even in the original MGS.

Twin Snakes is obviously over the top but Snake does a lot of hilarious poo poo in cutscenes and out of cutscenes in MGS1. It is the game where the ideal solution to fighting a ni-invincible katana-wielding cyborg ninja is to fist-fight him like out of a Japanese Animes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just out of curiosity by the way, why didn't people like Portable Ops but loved Peace Walker? I'm of the opposite opinion, so I'm quite curious to know.

It has significantly worse controls, significantly worse mission design, a more poorly implemented soldier-captured mechanic, a hell of a lot less personality, and a boring tedious story which is never going to be mentioned again in any Metal Gear game. It has basically nothing going for it except that it was a PSP Metal Gear and frankly I'd rather play AC!D over Portable Ops any day of the week if I was desperate for non-PW Metal Gear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I loved the controls. They were nice and clunky, as they should be. Sure its artificial difficulty but its good difficulty! I do agree with you on the soldier-capture though, but how you can say the game with Null, Coldman, the ice guy, Gene, and the (Portable Ops Spoiler) surprisingly sad death of the first recruit, secret recruitment missions for most characters and a giant Rayquaza Metal Gear has less personality is beyond me. What Peace Walker had was insanely stupid garbage, which whilst funny, should not be the core of the game. Sorry, but I dont play MGS to be forced to repeat the same mission over and over again.

There are tons of ways to do artifical difficulty or limited controls without playing like poo poo. PoOps didn't play that way because of intentional design. It played that way because the PSP was a system just powerful enough to do these things but not designed with a control scheme that worked it out. It's the same thing that gave us The Claw for Monster Hunter and all but the most crazy die-hards are thankful that poo poo is being moved away from.

Most of those characters you mentioned have no personality. That is in fact Null's entire gimmick. Most of them are completely unmemorable as evidenced by the fact you can't even remember the ice guy's name. Null is only 'memorable' because he is Grey Fox, Gene I guess is slightly memorable for being Proto-Big Boss, and I'm not sure why you mentioned Hot Coldman when he's a Peace Walker character who is only hinted at in Portable Ops.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But Peace Walker isnt. Peace Walker is pure unadulterated insanity, and whilst that has its place it just doesnt sit well with me that it is showered with praise when really, its A: The easiest and B: The simplest. Also, the boss battles were dull and annoying and all of the characters (Except for Chico, Strangelove and maybe Miller) were also incredibly boring.

Peace Walker has a number of gameplay mechanics and concepts which other Metal Gear games don't. Trying to claim it is simpler than, say, MGS1 implies that you're seriously stretching or don't actually remember how simple a game that was. (As a hint: It didn't even have first-person aiming!)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Its not the simplicity that I dislike, its the difficulty. MGS1 didnt have First Person Aiming (Which is a good thing) and it didnt have the over the shoulder aiming. There, you had to SNEAK. Later, you could silently kill. I'll shut up about Peace Walker and Portable Ops now, but I just hope the aiming isnt ridiculously easy and the game actually challenges the player now and again.

I really think you need to replay those games because you are hilariously misremembering how easy they are. MGS1's guards were complete idiots. MGS2's were not much better. MGS3 had CQC which was hilariously overpowered and you could pretty easily get through a lot of sections 'steathily" by running up to guys and chain-spamming takedowns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also, Coldman is different to Hot Coldman, Coldman was the black guy on the floating thing that tried to kill you whilst you rode an elevator.

That dude is named Cunningham, not Coldman, by the way. His name is a Snatcher ref.

Blackheart posted:

Maybe he'd be more memorable.. if he was called Cold Hotman!

Every character in Metal Gear should be named some variation of that. Big Smallboss. Peace Milwar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

I hope that Kojima continues his need to explain absolutely all the weird poo poo from the older games in this one, and there's like a scene where Ocelot is nefariously dropping venom into hamster DNA with an eyedropper, giggling madly.

Also I want a boss fight with Sandy Desert, Leafy Jungle, and Wet Ocean.

I desperately want super-realistic Zanzibar Hamsters. More than anything. Even if it's just in a goofy bonus mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

God drat they really don't even attempt to explain/question Volgin's lightning powers in 3? I could've sworn there was at least a line mentioning that he was experimented on, or something, but I didn't see anything of the sort in my replay.

Just gotta walk EVA around a bit and throw The Boss on the floor and I can begin the impossible task of beating Peace Walker in 9 days.

I finished Peace Walker in a day. If you're just rushing the story you should easily be able to do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

I'm buying a PS4 for a glorified demo because I can't stand to play it on a rickety old PS3 when I know I could be viewing it at much higher fidelity. Also because money is like a concept, man.

A concept that gets you sandwiches. My favorite kind of concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrushedB posted:

Okay, so there's a pretty funny set of Easter Eggs apparently in the Deja Vu mission.

You find logos of past Metal Gear games around the base and looking at them will get a call with Kaz(?) where he gives you a short history lesson on them... except for the non canon ones like Ghost Babel or ACID, where Kaz acts like he doesn't remember those games. Well, one supposedly canonical game also gets that treatment.

http://i.imgur.com/wXirN6h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QYkAkMv.jpg

Ahaha, Portable Ops gets "I don't remember."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Metal Gear is also the only thing Konami produces that's worth a drat anymore. Pro Evolution Soccer is a joke and Castlevania belongs to Mercurysteam now. They probably drive a dumptruck full of money up to his house every time they want a new game.

MercurySteam completely hosed up the latest Castlevania and even before that they said they're not making anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I don't know anyone yet who has complained about the length of this except for games journalism and people who haven't played the game yet.

Has it been revealed yet why Chico can plug in his headphones into his chest yet? I haven't unlocked everything but it's really puzzling me.

I've seen quite a few people on twitter/facebook complaining about it. Largely people who got stuck with the Next Gen Tax. I think Konami would have done a lot better if they just went $20 for everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only problem I have with Sutherland is that he's distracting because pretty much everyone else is the same voice. It isn't his fault but it's like when a cast member gets replaced mid-season and everyone struggles really hard to pretend it's the same guy. I always get a half-second brain hiccup where I go "oh, right, that's Snake talking."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

What would a date with Big Boss entail?

Peace Walker can answer your question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Well, I know what a date with Boss circa Peace Walker would be like, but what about Boss circa Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain?

It would be exactly the same except everything is more depressing and he has a different voice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Myself and others on here have put at least 12 hours into it. How does that qualify as demo length? This argument keeps coming up and it keeps getting shot down because it's not true.

That doesn't really work for me.

Etrian Odyssey 4 and Etrian Odyssey Untold both have lengthy demos which contain multiple levels of the dungeon and allow you to import your save data to the main game. Bravely Default has its own 'unique storyline' demo with modified character classes and dungeon layouts which also imports content to the full game and which many people spent tons of hours playing. Those are unarguably demos and yet were released for free.

Dead Rising: Case Zero released something very similar to Ground Zeroes but at a fraction of the price. It was one map but a completely unique map with its own designated boss and storyline and goofy easter eggs. It was a for-pay demo but much more reasonably priced than Ground Zeroes (especially with the Next Gen tax.)

I liked Ground Zeroes it's unarguably a $30 demo. "I spent a lot of hours playing this demo" doesn't mean it is't a demo, nor does it having bonus features/extra missions/whatever. Those are all things demos have done before in some form or another.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

timeandtide posted:

Even leaving aside the "replay it" option that the game pushes you towards, there's 4-6 hours* of content for $20 ($30 if you're paying the Next Gen Tax). People talking only about the main mission only are literally pretending/forgetting about the other 5/6 of the content in the game, since there are other missions in it. Blood Dragon was $15 at launch, I believe, and that was comparable in length but was benefitted by being able to use preexisting things from Far Cry 3 (sharks become laser sharks).

*my time, including two extra replays of the main mission to unlock Deja Vu, was 5 hours 42 minutes

And none of this changes the "this is effectively a demo" thing. It is structured and built exactly like a demo. If it was released for free it would be a really really drat good demo. I knew this going in and I paid $30 for it and I don't feel particular upset about it but trying to go "it's not a demo! You can replay it a bunch" is silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also handled extremely poorly in this game. Metal Gear as a franchise is not really at its best when trying to be Incredibly Serious Business and Ground Zeroes is (especially in the main campaign) almost nothing but that.

Ground Zeroes plays great so basically the biggest concern I have for The Phantom Pain is that it's going to be this attempt by Kojima to be Serious and Mature and full of rape and torture which is not at all where the franchise (or Kojima's) strengths as a writer lie, which is more cheesy action movie by way of anime. The subject matter has appeared before but either been handled poorly or rendered so ridiculous nobody could take it seriously. (Ocelot's goofy "I'll know if you're not mashing the button" makes it a lot harder to take his low-budget torture seriously compared to a weeping child with bolts through his Achilles tendon.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Hmme yes, this was obvious without finding the audio log that implied it was in a body cavity.

Considering that they noticed the scar from the first bomb implantation instantly and didn't find the second one at all, that does imply pretty heavily that it was inserted without surgery. There are not a lot of choices for that and they are all awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Also my favorite aspect of Kojima's writing is actually how he blends in the gruesome truth of life with the levity of genre fiction. Its a paradoxical series and always has been, and I'd say that realm is where Metal Gear is at its best.

Except in previous games there was an actual balance here. Ground Zeroes lacks almost any levity (outside of maybe the console-exclusive mission) and ratchets up the realism. That's the problem.

If this was any other game on the market people would be laughing their asses off at it. Some of the stuff in Ground Zeroes is DmC-level writing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Did you play to the end of MGS3? Cause come on.

The ending of MGS3 where you have a dramatic anime fistfight with your mentor in a field of white flowers, followed by a goofy russian roulette duel against a guy who has effectively been a joke character for most of the game?

It is possible for something to be both silly and still hit strong emotional points. A lot of comedies or even just good action/adventure movies can do this.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

This is absolutely true, Dr. Strangelove being a fine example. It's pretty clear when a comedy is taking its subject matter seriously. But I'd have to contend that a series which allows you to view a woman's underwear via X-ray vision in one game, and then listen to her be raped and tortured in the sequel isn't doing a good job of communicating that.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. As I said above, it's a matter of tone. You can do a lot as long as it doesn't feel out of place but I don't think GZ hits that and I'm frankly worried Phantom Pain will be worse about it, either by being too serious or by having incredibly wacky things right alongside child soldiers being violently onscreen tortured or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

On a more interesting controversial note, I assume everyone else picked up on that Ground Zeroes is as-explicitly-as-possibly set in Guantanamo Bay? And that one of the side missions is hunting down and executing American war criminals that are hiding out there and would otherwise surely escape justice?

That poo poo is hardcore serious-business topical, and about as dark as you can get too.

The ending even says the President promised to close it down and didn't. I found that a better and more depressing 'dark but topical' message than anything involving the rescuees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is perhaps the most amazing typo I've seen on these forums to date.

• Locked thread