Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I've been replaying the series and I've never played Peace Walker, but I was curious what's the best time to play it? I figured after 3 but before 4, but I'm not sure how it fits together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Ok so weird question here: I'm playing through MGS 3 again and I noticed something odd under the room where you first find Sokolov. There's this odd lit up trap door looking square, and I did notice a trap door in the room during the cutscene. Is this explained later and I just forgot about it or what?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any downside to buying Ground Zeroes digitally? I've been waiting to play it and I want to make sure I get all the content like the bonus stuff for TPP and the DLC missions.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Big Boss starts beating a "recruit" with a sock while screaming "SNAKE DON'T PLAY THAT!"

Heads up too; if you are wanting to play Revengeance, it's on sale on PS3 as well as part of that big Konami sale.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I'm playinng through MGS4 again and I read about certain items you unlock on a second playthrough, like the emotive ammo and colored smoke grenades. I know that certain things don't show up until you get the Mk. II, but I just got to the part where you meet Drebin for the first time and I don't see anything like that. I'm thinking maybe it comes up later, and searching the internet hasn't been helpful because most results are people asking what the ammo and stuff does. Thanks.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think you just have them on a second playthrough - you don't need to buy them.

I totally forgot you have to load the epilogue save to get that stuff. The only thing that sucks now is I wanted to get a few of the trophies added, but of course, my end save is from before the patch.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Comic posted:

it's possible to get the MGS3 Platinum in one run. I did it. It can be frustrating at the end though since getting all the kerotans while also not killing anyone is difficult and takes a lot of reloading saves during the end chase sequence. Also a guide because you're likely not going to find those on your own without knowing where to look on your first run.

How in the bluest of all fucks do you get those kerotans in the bike chase near the end? I wasn't even going for them and I saw one at like a roadblock on the mountain trail part and I don't see how you can hit that one. I am absolutely horrible at aiming in any of the games before MGS4 though, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm on MGS4 now in my playthrough of the series and I still really love that game. The first time I played it, I wasn't really into MGS and had no idea what was really going on as I had only played 2 and 3 (and that had been years and years before) but now having played them all and so recently, the story actually makes sense. I mean, it's still convoluted as all hell, but I'm actually following it a lot better now.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The reason you don't remember anything about them is because literally the only time they are ever even mentioned outside of your fight with them is when Drebin tells you their life story after you kill them. The game ALMOST pretends they don't even exist outside their fights except for Mantis.

Sir, I'll have you know I reduced their stamina/psyche. I'm no hero killer

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Ok, I will preface this with two things: one, it has been like four years since I first beat MGS4 and two, this is obviously spoilers for the end of that game (and yes, I realized I'm using black bars for 6 year old game, but I figure there might be some people playing for the first time coming into this thread since it's become the de facto MGS thread).

With that said:

I have always thought in the many years of me being a MGS fan that Liquid Ocelot was literally Liquid taking over Ocelot's brain via the arm and NANOMACHINES, but during Big Boss' little end monologue, he says something about even with all the advances in tech, you can't make someone completely someone else. I was a bit tired, and that cutscene is extremely long, so maybe I just misunderstood it, but I took him to mean that Ocelot used the hypnotherapy to convince himself he was Liquid and all to help EVA get Big Boss's body and all that. I looked up Liquid Ocelot's page on the Metal Gear wikia, and that mentions imbalances in psyche, which I take to mean that those seizure like things he was having during MGS2, but I'm still a little fuzzy on exactly how that all breaks down. For how convoluted MGS gets, I actually have most of it down, it's just Liquid Snake and Ocelot, and when exactly each "dies" for good and who is who exactly

Also, I love replaying the game and using different FaceCamos. It's funny to have "Old" Snake hack and cough and poo poo when you're wearing the younger version.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

K8.0 posted:

MGS2 is honestly a pretty good game as long as you don't save very often.

But then how will you learn Otacon's nuggets of "wisdom"? (at least in the Tanker chapter)

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

I love the MGS story, as much as it doesn't add up and is made up as it goes, it was always compelling for me. Though I haven't played POOPS (that is a funny title), and PeaceWalker's story felt a bit unessential other than the epic speech BB gives at the end. But Solid Snake crawling through a microwave thingy in MGS4? The epic ending and epilogue? That stuff hit me like a ten ton load of manly emotion. And let's not get started on the ending of MGS3, some of the best storytelling in game history.

If Hideo's story here is trash, well I'd like to live in the dump! I feel safe there... in the dump.

I totally agree. As unsubtle and at the same time, as convoluted as the story in a Metal Gear game can be, there are some pretty heavy themes in them and some legitimately well done character work. I think we all know who the real star of the games is: :ocelot:

The first game I played in the series was MGS 2 when it was re-released on the original Xbox, and I played that when I was like 12, so imagine my confusion/delight. I of course totally devoured the rest of the series over the next couple of years and have played them multiple times since and as I've gotten older, I started picking up on a lot more. I think I like the juxtaposition of this almost Clancy-esque, milsim realism and then here's this dude who can make a tommy gun out of bees, but it's a testament to the game because you can just keep on trucking.

Also, I had a question about Peace Walker since it's my first time playing it: on the extra ops like the marksmanship challenges and poo poo where you can play as Snake or your soldiers, should I bother running all my combat team guys through it, or will their stats build up fine on their own?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

cat doter posted:

poo poo, really? How was anyone supposed to know all this?

I still haven't completed zeke and the extra AI mechs are really hard to beat. Maybe I should actually start trying to find co-op games.

I know the feeling. I'm just now on the fourth searching for ol' Zadornov and I'm a little lost at times, but I've been using the IGN guide: http://www.ign.com/wikis/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker and the Peace Walker wikia: (specifically this) http://peacewalker.wikia.com/wiki/Extra_Ops_Walkthrough . Even those are incomplete in a lot of areas and yea, it leads to poo poo like that you quoted, so I just read ahead and have spoiled some of it for me to avoid confusion.

I'm just clearing ops and having fun with the game; I'm not too concerned about S ranking or anything. I just wanted to play PW since I had never touched it and I still need to play Ground Zeroes (and then convince myself/just break down and play Acid and POOPS) because damnit, I can't get enough Metal Gear now.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

Once you realize how important it is to use magazines/smoke grenades/etc. to makes missions easier the possibilities really start to open up. If you have the sneaking suit, especially so, because then you can run right up behind people and hold them up without stopping.

Yea I have the sneaking suit and I have S ranked a few of the vehicle capture ops, but I'm waiting for poo poo like the Fulton Mine for some of the harder ones (per the wiki's tips; if that's even advisable).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I'm playing Peace Walker, following this guide for Extra Ops when I spot this line: "If you shoot him in the anus, he'll go down in one hit"

New thread title?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is probably what will happen when Kojima actually really totally truthfully retires and Konami wants to squeeze more cash out of that bandanna.

Hell, you don't even to "fix" his aging. I'd play as grizzled Old Snake again, minus the "You'll be a walking bioweapon in months" thing. I'd also love him being mentor to a whole new character and I think there's always a story to tell post MGS4 (and MGR if Kojima even considers that "canon").

Let's be honest though, the only game we need is a RPG where you play as Ocelot with a dialog tree system for being a triple agent. And gun tricks, lots of gun tricks. :ocelot:

Peace Walker question while I'm here: For anyone who has the platinum, how hard/long do the multi trophies take? I don't know if I'm even going to go for the plat necessarily, but I was curious.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Maybe a Fulton magazine that fultons only the clothes of the person who gets hit with the magazine. They stand and shiver naked while Ocelot fingers them :ocelot:

But enough about my fetish... :ocelot: :fap:

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

btw never google image search Tselinoyarsk O_O

Eh, it can't be that b--

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/GADtAQV.jpg :nws: (NWS just on the safe side)

:stare:

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Electromax posted:

MGS3 is a special game but for me the true nostalgia king is MGS1. Truly a special experience that first time in 1998. The snow, Snake's breath, the credits over the gameplay (!), the voice acting, the cutscenes, the interesting radio conversations, the muddy-but-somehow-compelling graphics... I could not beat that game enough times. I was older and more restrained when MGS3 came around (although everything after planting the C4 was also riveting the first time).

Yea, I've been replayed MGS1 (after having played through them all recently) and I'm always amazed how it holds up. I think it's one of the best examples of working with the limitations of a platform, because while the graphics are pixelated and a bit muddy, the art direction/design makes up for it.

I finally got both endings and man, the stealth camo makes MGS1 a breeze (but in a totally awesome way).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

The MGS2 re-release on Xbox was my first actual MGS game. I had seen the first one in magazines and stuff, but I didn't have a Playstation at the time so I never got a chance to play it.

Also, just noticed on my third run through MGS1 that Gray Fox's suit changes colors. It's amazing how many things you never see/won't see without playing through multiple times.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

Alright, finally finished the last of the extra ops, got all S ranks on every main and extra op, now I just have a few more trophies to round up and I'm good!

I think I've got like two online trophies, one for camaraderie and one for doing every VS op. I've already done Team Deathmatch, guess I'll just have to check every now and then to see if people are doing the other ones. Also gonna have to do a little grinding for Paz diaries and special ZEKE head parts.

That drat camaraderie trophy is the only I need for platinum. I think I've only got like 5 or 6k right now. How'd you do it? I tried leaving my PS3 on and hosting a match for people to join (as there are apparently a few still playing) and got a bit, but nowhere near that 20k.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I...I used a turbo button for the Peace Walker one. :smith:

Ocelot would be ashamed...

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Well, I kept missing the pre-orders for the CE but thanks for that Best Buy link. Now I'll have a bitching robot arm to go with my shrine of nerdom.

I've been re-re-replaying the series and man, the poo poo you find it's kind of amazing. In the Tanker chapter in MGS2, when you are heading through the dark hallways to the holds and the guard is walking towards you, you can duck into a side room. Well there's this one pipe leaned up against the wall where you are leaning and at first it looks like a bit of scenery, but then I slid and knocked it over. Guard hears, cue the "Huh? What's that?" and meanwhile I'm still shocked it actually reacts. As far as I know, that pipe is just in that one room.

Every week I learn something new about one of the MGS games, every loving week...

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

The pair were in Laos together, but retired when the U.S. withdrew its forces.

They were a sniper-spotter team.

In country, they were known as Glaz and Palitz, the "eye" and the "finger".

I've sent VIs of the targets to your iDroid.

Take a good look.

But more importantly, is their extradition on the table in the peace talks?

And will the war truly be over only when they are dead?

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I tried searching around, but does anyone know if the CE will still get the Day One content? I don't remember exactly what the Day One stuff is, but I do remember an "ADAM-SKA Revolver".

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Tell me about it, I'm trying to fill the Phantom Pain with other Metal Gears (trying to grind out the plat on 4; probably going to play MG1 and 2 since I've never played them) and it's just enough. Now time to watch the trailers for the hundredth time...:ocelot:

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

As convoluted as the story is, after playing all of them I think you can get the big story beats down just fine. It's more the smaller details that are either buried in codec exposition or completely not in a game that are definitely hard to figure out.

Overall though, by the end of MGS4, most of the open plot threads are tied up (albeit not the neatest in some cases) and you can at least articulate Solid Snake's story.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

It's funny how my brother never really was into Metal Gear, but since I've been replaying the series (for the hundredth time) and since he's seen all the trailers and gameplay, he's pre-ordered a CE along with me.

While I'm posting, I was trying to wrap up the plat on MGS3 and I got all the Kerotans (the bike chase ones were not as bad as I feared), but I apparently missed one of the animals/plants/etc. for the Markhor rank. I thought I was careful and checked off each one as I went, but I clearly missed something, but at least I have the Stealth camo now. So replaying it should be a breeze.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

MissileWaster posted:

Did you get the Tsuchinoko? I'm pretty sure it counts for that rank.

Yes, I definitely got it. I probably just messed up saving/loading somewhere and forgetting to grab one of the items on the list. I mean, hey it's yet another excuse to replay MGS3 (like I needed one).

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Finally got the plat on MGS3. I think I missed one of the mushrooms for Markhor on my last run, but hey, at least I got all the Kerotans.

Speaking of archival footage, that's something I've always like about the games. It's just kind of nice to see real world context in a game about a dude who can shoot bees, nanomachines, war economies, etc.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So will there be a Phantom Pain app or will the GZ app just be updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Captn Kurp posted:

dont tell anyone i told you this but i think its all a ruse, i bet david hayter is still there and theres a real big boss and kojima still works with konami and everyone is a big happy family and theyre doing this for the game because kojima likes his little games

Yea, Kojima went to make games at a farm upstate son...:smith:

• Locked thread