Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm quite OK with Kiefer but still bummed that they didn't go for Richard Doyle if they wanted a new voice for Big Boss. He could pull of the facial capture easily, dude was even in Air Force One.

The voice direction being weird again is kinda odd, it's probably still Kris Zimmerman, and while the MGS games have always had some problems there she also did Revengeance and they knocked it out of the loving park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

It also helped that a different team did the localization for Revengeance, and more notably they knocked it out of the loving park. For better or worse, Kojima's own games don't get much leeway when it comes to localizations.

True. Doesn't Kojima also go to the VO sessions? With his direction overriding the more …sensible one.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't MGS1 also the only one where, to Kojimas chagrin, the English script isn't just a direct translation but a mild effort to make it sound okay?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

I don't think you can say this - when I first played MGS3 I had never seen Family Guy (still haven't) and thought she was weird in parts. Not terrible, just a bit off.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Actually considering the thread we're in, she was Naomi in MGS4.

Hale was Naomi in MGS1 and Twin Snakes as well.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Spermando posted:

All I want to know is whether the game will go up to 1985. It was BB's best year.

Hope BB runs into Dead Cells predecessor, a clandestine organisation known as SOFT CELL.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Shadow cascade 10 metres out? Yep, that's current gen.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

A robot with boobs and a cock.

Nice!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

A literal cockpit is IMO bad design because if video games have ever taught me anything most baddies get shot in the dick.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

considering the earlier big announcements on Spike TV, I imagine it will be something pretty noteworthy.

What if it's MGR2 WHOOAOAOUAAH!?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Skrill.exe posted:

Ah, that old Constitutional loophole.

Constitutional loophole!?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Holy poo poo guys a watermelon!

But… no sword?

Shameful.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Squallege posted:

Really glad this didn't make it.

Yeah, same goes for the nude B and B Corps.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Hmm yes what we got was much classier

Well at least they weren't totally completely butt naked.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Wasn't that only censored to get around an AO/Z/PEGI-18 rating and not vetoed like the original ending?

Yup, Kojima didn't want to get an adult rating.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Where's the one fro MGS4?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

didn't even know there was one

Haha, that's the stuff.

Although it would've been like 5 discs even with the uncompressed audio.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Poor bastards without stereo sound in 1998 I salute you.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Comic posted:

It's more an action movie/western/spy movie plot for people who really really like them. Or at least one person who really really likes them. (That person is Kojima)

Personally I enjoy the heck out of them.

Also I wonder if Hayter normally does weird things with his face when he does Snakevoice. I know there was some video game award presentation he was dressed as Snake but I remember something feeling 'off' about him.

There's a video from a con or something where he did it for someone and he was talking normally. IIRC it was MGS3 era-ish, though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Actually he means that Donna Burke will be wearing a microphone 24/7 and we'll be hearing that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

marauderthirty posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who watches all of the cutscenes of these games even though I've seen them all before. All of them. :shepface:

10/10 INTERACTION BONUS EVERY TIME

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Simon Templeman for Big Boss and Michael Bell for Solid Snake.

Get it done.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Michael Bell was The Fear.

Oh yeah.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It's 2014 where are my mooing robots?

Could do without the proxy wars, to be honest.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Stick a 50cal or a Mk19 on top of that thing.

Or a saddle.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

randombattle posted:

I figured you were going to go with this. You can tell when I linked this to the lp thread.

Hahaha, those are some pretty good comments.

Split it wide open indeed.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Squallege posted:

All those band posters and then a Harry Potter poster right in the middle :psyduck:

Harry Potter is brutal as gently caress.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Comic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also going to be a testing grounds, see what resonates with players and what they don't like, etc.

Kojima in March 2013 about development costs - "There's a different way of tackling this problem," he said, "something similar to a TV series, where you can use pilot episodes to test the waters before you jump completely into the project. It can be distributed via download channels, so the player can try it out before production continues. Something like that wouldn't take that long to create, maybe a year, and if it's successful, you can continue."

So be prepared for ZOE3 except you get two missions and then you have to wait two years to play the rest sorry it got canned because the Metacritic was 2 points off. I'd rather have smaller teams reuse tech and make something like Blood Dragon and Gunslinger and those UbiArt games.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Revengeance handles a bunch of the serious/ridiculous Metal Gear stuff better than any Metal Gear game and all that without 30 minute cutscenes and in a game about a faux-ninja cyborg slicing dudes, brains and a dog shaped robot buddy.

Although that last part would fit in any MG game I guess.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Is that Solid Snake or Big Boss on the right? He looks a lot younger than Big Boss is in Ground Zeroes, so I'd assume it's Solid Snake at the age he was in MGS1, except he has the eye patch.

It's pretty cool how far game graphics have come in 16 years, though.

I believe it's Ground Zeroes Big Boss. We haven't really (have we?) seen him fully lit like this so it might look weird. Beard looks low-res though and isn't using polygons KOJIIIMAAAA!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

REX is the quintessential Metal Gear IMO.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Major INTERSpess posted:

Why? Isn't that what the game upgrade program is for? $10 upgrades to the next gen version?

Only if the game/publisher supports it. Ground Zeroes doesn't.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

timeandtide posted:

Oh man, Kojima says on Twitter that they developed an "80s filter" for TPP...but they had to remove it because it was "too heavy" even for next-gen.

My dream of proper 80s visuals is crushed like the blacks in an Xbox One shader.

I don't know what the gently caress they were trying to do but this sounds weird because games have been doing saturation and colour correction and image artifacting for years.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't think Kojima is going to make a video game about David Carradine's last days, man.

…drat

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It's Vic Boss you D rank soldier!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Whenever someone says The Pain used bees I get a massive :goonsay: :spergin: urge to correct them.

Stop getting Metal Gear wrong :negative:

He shot bullet bees from his mouth though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The only thing I wish they'd updated with MGS3 is the mouth flapping. I forgot how univerally those improved during the PS360 era. Some of them are laughable in-game.

As for the fire, it looks alright but it seems to jutter about at 15fps while the rest of the game runs normally, or at least it does in the scene where Sokolov's burning his books. I don't know if that's by design but it's jarring.

Anyway I'm getting my arse kicked trying to no alert no kill the Ocelot Unit. They always seem to spot me from nowhere. gently caress using the really cheesed methods on Youtube though.

Well Russian doesn't sync up with English (the lip-sync looks bad because it's synced to the Japanese voices and they'd have to redo everything so yeah).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

It's not just the syncing, it's the flappy mouths. I probably didn't notice it back then but wow they're improved mouth animation drastically since then.

Except for when Snake makes some sort of anguished noise. Then they use all of the rendering power of the PS2 to animate his wrinkly lips.

Right, sorry.

This was pretty good too

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I knew you had it in you :ocelot:

Speaking of MGS3 anyone happen to know where those odd cutscenes featuring Raiden warping in out of nowhere and doing dumb things and other random characters in amusing/perplexing conditions came from? I remember a cutscene where the guy who wanted to shake BB's hand was CQC-ing BB at the start of the Snake Eater mission and thrashing him until BB would shake his hand.

IIRC the Secret Theatre things started out as a joke among the cutscene people until Kojima saw them and decided that everyone should see those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0iu6Tgvac

…240p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"Maggots, Michael. You're eating maggots. How do they taste?"

• Locked thread