Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Aren't early january release dates usually just placeholders when there is no actual announced release date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I'm replaying MGS2 and I just realized something: why did Emma decide to work on an offshore oil rig if she was afraid of heights and insanely afraid of water?

The patriots were holding her kitty cat, Mr. Fluffybuns, hostage as collateral.

RIP Mr. Fluffybuns

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I'm expecting ground zeroes to be a slightly more robust modern day version of the demo disc that came with ZoE. nothing more, nothing less. I'm willing to bet that within a year some speedrunner will be able to any% GZ in 25 minutes, and 100% in about 45 or so.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Many, many people played full price for ZoE just to get the demo disc.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Snake should have died in the microwave hallway,

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't have a picture ready because I'm on my phone, but we can't forget how Ocelot is basically Lee van Cleef. Old Snake was patterned after van Cleef as well, funnily enough. :v:

Lee van clleef starring opposite kurt 'snake plissken' russel in escape from new york. Although ocelot is clealry modeled off of the spaghetti western cleef, its still kinda neat.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

PSN says you can download at 12:01 AM EST, so if you're lucky enough to not live on the eastern seaboard you could be playing this business tonight.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Did they say if they're actually going to put up MGSGZ for the PS4 on PSN? :v:

At this point if they offered Cross Buy, I'd just get the PS3 version to be on the safe side.

I don't know, I just looked at the info for the pre-order and triple checked that it said 12:01 EST, because I was thinking about racking out right after work and getting up to let it download and just stay up tonight, PST wouldn't be worth it, I probably would barely get to watch the first cinematic before I'd have to go to work, but like the above poster that's 11 PM for me, which should give me enough time to beat the main mission if my internet cooperates.

I'm fully expecting it to not work, mind you.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Hittin' the hay now. I really hope the EST thing wasn't a typo

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

AtrociousToaster posted:

It's available for download for me, PS3 version.

How did you get to the download? All I can download is the theme, still?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

This is a dramatic shift in tone for the series. Jesus, that was brutal. I beat it in about an hour and a half, and I'm glad I didn't resort to a walkthrough. I'm gonna dig into the side ops now.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The only thing this is missing is a boss battle. Traditionally, the first encounter in a metal gear game where you HAVE to fight your way through is just a bunch of regular guards, and the ending cutscene feels like such a missed opportunity.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

Maybe it would have taken place on Mother Base as it's being ripped up? I dunno.

That's what I was referring to, I just didn't want to use spoiler tags because it's a pain in the rear end on my iPad.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

One is on snake. roll in the prone enough and you will see a cutscene where it comes loose.

One is on the roof of the east (I think) side of the admin buillding, jump up on one of the nearby generators and then leaoff of that to be able to grab on the roof.

One is in a puddle on the heliport, at the furthest edge away from the admin building,

One is found on the ground near a set of tents, it's near a pile of trash

one is on top of a generator behind a locked fence. Near those white trailers/buildings

Thats all I remember offhand, and my cardinal directions might me off. There's another one thats easy to get, but the position is so generic I can"t think of a way to describe it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

But more realistic Metal Gear guards would be even dumber and lazier when no one knows Snake is sneaking around cuz drat this is boring and guard duty suuuucks, but they'd be almost impossible to get past after a confirmed sighting or body found because holy poo poo someone just killed Fred, what the gently caress is going on today

My NCO made a joke to this effect when he saw me playing MGS downrange. Guard duty loving blows, but if someone actually infiltrated a base and killed someone we'd be lucky if we got an all clear after a week. More than likely the whole base would be in a higher security posture long after snake had starved to death. Probably forever.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

She had an ear canal full of C4, packed in there real good.

I simply do not care what evidence you have otherwise.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Actually now that I think about it, you could watch the scene where paz explodes and see where the explosion starts. If i remember right it seems like it comes from her upper chest cavity. She also could have been forced to swallow it/ eat it

Really though, I think that what most people thought is exactly what you're supposed to think. War is pretty loving brutal, and there's so much media where destroying other human beings is 'fun' or a 'goal', that Kojima may have (rightly, in my opinion) felt it was time to take the whimsy out of his mercenary simulator. On the way to that event, how many US Marines did you kill? There was another time in the series that a snake went up against what he thought was just a group of US marines doing their job, and as a consequence only brought a single non-lethal fire-arm. He only escalated force when terrorists boarded the ship and started killing people. Big Boss feels no compunction to do the same and brought a rifle.

Another interesting meta concept is that the series pretty much beat you over the head with the concept that mercenaries are a bad thing that have terrible consequences for an entire game. Big Boss' thing is that he's so goddamn charismatic that soldiers flock to him to fight for his hosed up mercenary cause - just like the people who bought the last two games. For christ's sake it's established over the course of the game that they're deliberately deceiving nuclear weapons inspectors. Big Boss' cause is already heinously evil, and we're helping him succeed in his misguided cause every step of the way.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You know, I always thought that canonically, Big Boss avoided killing as much as possible. Either because he was great at sneaking around, or because he figured that these people were just doing their jobs.
Snake was the dick who killed for the sake of killing.

Big Boss was the warrior who couldn't stay away from the battlefield. Snake tried to quit at least twice - After MG2 he was hanging out in Alaska trying to drink himself to death, and after MGS he and Otacon founded philanthropy, which was strictly an anti-metal gear organization. He shows up at the end to fight the patriots, that's true - but liquids accusation that he enjoys killing disturbed him (and the thought that it might be true can actually make snake physically ill in 4 as a gameplay mechanic) and Big Boss' similar accusation was enough to cause him to abandon soldiering entirely. Big Boss' response to being forced to kill his mentor by his country was to conclude that it was the 'country' part of that equation that was hosed up and promptly started his own army that didn't have a country. Armies aren't non-profits devoted to solving the Metal Gear problem nor are they a cabin in alaska where at the very least you don't have to kill anyone.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I would argue that he's trying to make it more brutal and not doing a perfect job. Quiet's outfit is up there in lovely design ideas.

Kojima seems to have some issues with women. Almost all of his female characters are awful carictures of women. Although Ocelot being completely gay bones for the whole snake clan and also the secret hero of the entire series seems like a positive step forward for gay characters. I bet he was on board with liquids plan immediately after liquid said "and I'm never going to wear a shirt, even though it's alaska."

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As much as I hate to say it and as much as I love new MGS this probably would be better if the whole thing had been released as one package. The side ops are interesting but at the end of the day you're loving around on exactly one map and one of the series hallmarks (interesting boss battles) are totally absent. I could see someone being pissed at paying thirty bones for this. I'm not, but I could understand it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Really, it's pretty brutal and has a sort of sexual violence thats a little disconcerting, but we live in a world where insurgent groups have strapped suicide vests to mentally disabled women and sent them into groups of civilians.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

There was a simulation of snake's tanker mission that was probably fictional, I think raiden mentions it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

There are a handful of games from the PS1 era that I really wish would get remade. Actually, I wish someone would start a studio where all they do is take old games, update the textures and models, and leave everything else intact. Same engine, same voice acting, same story, same gameplay, just without looking at a man made of boxes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Comic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsQbk5tXhM

With it cut like this and set to the music you'd never know how grim the tone of ground zeroes is. People have gotten good at editing with the PS4 already.

It is something beautiful, in a Dr. Strangelove sort of way, how something that is simultaneously a(n arguable) no holds barred take on the horrors of war also allows the player enough agency to subvert this entirely and say, hurl a marine into a group of marines like bowling pins, or re-framing the chico encounter so that it seems as though chico is terrified of Big Boss precisely because he knows how reckless he is, and is immediately subdued and hurled off of a cliff. Snake travels between targets effortlessly, battering them with empty magazines, which appears to confuse the deadly AI.

You couldn't do this with Call of Duty.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey sometimes you just gotta make sacrifices!

I'm sure somewhere there is a medical support guy that lost his licence over whatever is going on with The Pain.

"mm, yes, Cpt. Gilbert, I'm sure you're wondering why you've been summoned to talk to the head of the OSS. Well, as an army physician your service has been commendable, but now we have a new assignment for you - Dedicated physician for a team of Super Soldiers known as 'The Cobra Unit.'"

Captain Gilbert was found dead in his suite, hanging from his belt in the shower. The suicide note was bizarre, mentioning "micro" bombs and a man who is at least part ghost.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The Masterstroke would be the epilogue of TPP being the catastrophe from Snatcher.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

eugh...disgusting!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Seems like a moral thing, although it may actually cost money to use military designations in fiction, but I wouldn't think so. Either that or the guns of the period were deemed too uninteresting as most of them were already represented in two other games.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the first game in the timeline, so while developing it the team could include whatever they wanted, and only had to reference the plot points that they wanted. The characters were essentially all blank slates, except for Big Boss, and the only things we know about him is that he is a bad guy 30 years later and that he was cloned. The team had a ton of freedom and none of the baggage that the series usually suffers from.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

It was a cannon that was transported by railcar, the Schwerer Gustav.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Time to read Zinn posted:

The game would be much easier if the guards couldn't call a base-wide alert without a radio. Shooting the radio man is a cool mechanic that's been in the series since like 2 so it's a shame they removed it. Kinda strange they choose a more realistic model of visibility and then do that. There's nowhere to hide from the guards, either, unless you run into a different area, so the evasion just turns into Pacman now. But evasion was never a very well-developed part of MGS.

Too true - and maybe they recognize this by giving you the option to game over if you're spotted, of course that also could be to aid the hard core, or both. I also feel like the roll is sorely missed from GZ.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

All the snakes are tragic heroes, it's kind of refreshing, really.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I really hope they're not pulling a bait and switch with the main character. It would be a bit old hat at this point.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

It would be awesome if Ocelot's turning point is figuring out who is mother is and what happened to her and why. After that, he's fully with BB in burning the loving world down.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

You can play MGS1 in some form or another on literally every console sony has put out since 1995.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Wouldn't it just be zone of the enders?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

After zanzibarland Snake realized he was being used by the government, didn't like it, and retired. After snake-eater Big Boss realized he was being used by the government, didn't like it, and became an international super-terrorist.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

If grey fox was a teenager (let's say 16) in portable ops that would make him 41 in the original metal gear, 45 in MG2, and 51 in MGS.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

In MGS4 Otacon uploads some close combat programming to it to enable it to be a match for Ray. He tells you this while you're leaving hangar in Rex, I think.

E: f,b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I wish they would have put the cutscenes back in the HD version of MGS2. I would have liked to see a little more of Arsenal Gear.

• Locked thread