Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a possibility that the prologue is played as someone else? Maybe miller? Him and big boss are missing some limbs, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So. What WAS he reading?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Snix posted:

What the hell are you talking about? His name is Iroquois. Haven't you played MGS2?

In case you just don't know, and are not being un-funny: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0009034/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing peace walker again right now and God loving drat, is this game the best MGS game. If MGS 5 is anything like peaace walker, it will be AWESOME.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have Poops and a psp. I am playing peace walker right now, for the second time. I understand it a lot better, having just played all the other metal gear solid games. I didn't play poops or acid though.

Can someone tell me if I *have* to play poops? like, should I just give it a go or watch an lp/cutscene summary video? And acid? which is the better of the two acids? I don't see myself ever playing both.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So it's not fun to play?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm totally getting a ps4 to play this. Waiting for the ps4 ground zeroes bundle! (hoping!)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
'Kojima's version' implies he was not involved in poops. Was he not?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's just a standard thing that happens to clones. I don't know what the technical terms are or anything, but when you clone something that's a certain age, the new clones will already have the ... telomere shortening? that someone of that same age will have. The whole 'death of dolly the sheep' thing happened just a few years before MGS4 came out.

"Some have speculated that a contributing factor to Dolly's death was that she could have been born with a genetic age of six years, the same age as the sheep from which she was cloned.[17] One basis for this idea was the finding that Dolly's telomeres were short, which is typically a result of the ageing process.[18][19] The Roslin Institute have stated that intensive health screening did not reveal any abnormalities in Dolly that could have come from advanced aging.[17]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)

So I think it's just "he's a clone, that's what happens" although I think it would also mean he'd never actually be a super soldier 'cos at age 20 he'd be basically 50 years old if he was cloned from big boss at age 30, say. Also wasn't the foxdie mutating and making solid snake ill?

edit: derp metal gear solid wiki:

"As an artificially engineered human, Solid Snake's lifespan was predesignated through telomere and gene modification. As part of the Les Enfants Terribles Project, he was engineered to be short-lived to prevent enemy forces from copying his genetic code."

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 4, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Mustach posted:

That's a great find.

So the right side is clearly less "alive" than the left, given the dead flowers, a missing sheep, and the decrepit shepherd. Another interesting detail is that the paintings on the left have white flowers, while those on the right have blue that correspond with the ones in the room. The flowers look kind of like the ones from the end of MGS3, but I don't know flowers well enough to be sure. Either way, a left-to-right reading seems to have an abstract theme of the shepherd (Big Boss, Zero, or the concept of PATRIOTS HEROISM represented by Big Boss?) getting new life when the sheep is cloned.

Also, only the right side has the muscle-man; not sure how that fits in. Oh, but the other side gets a fake muscle man when you fight Octopus, hmm…

Well this is a good time to introduce my theory that Decoy Octopus is actually The Boss's clone.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm replaying peace walker and just 'finished the game' (psp/ps3) and could do with some co-op action to move my game along a bit. If I host will some people join my bullshit missions and help me along please? I need to get to the real ending. Silkhorn on psn.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Squallege posted:

If anyone's up for some Peace Walker on the PS3 hit me up. I've already got the plat but I'll help out with missions and stuff. PSN is Squallege

Thanks! I do want some help if possible. I've got stuff to do now but I've already finished it and re-started it, and am on the chapter 4-> 5 bullshit. I would like to get the fulton launcher or grind some reasearch guys especially since I don't have enough r+d to even develop all the stuff I've got.

edit: I, as 'silkhorn', am gonna host some battles, etc now that I need for progressing.

redreader fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 16, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Snake has an A-rank in everything, some goons have an S-rank in everything.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
playing some peace walker co-op right now. need some help getting intel guys or just s-ranking the high up missions for fulton mines/launcher, or for getting cocoon armor. Silkhorn is my psn name.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

mortalwombat posted:

If you play with someone who has Fulton mines or launcher, you can pretty quickly run through one of the early missions that pass through the Camino de Lava Junction and grab the Intel snipers on the ledges overlooking the area with the abandoned train. The mine gas reaches them if you set it directly below them and shoot it from a distance.

For those with the launcher, there's a sleeping Intel soldier at the hill end of the conveyor above Miner's Residence, but I can't remember their rank. They have do have some special skills.

You can also farm Female POWs pretty quickly in Miner's Residence if you're going for WAC Coordinator. There are two Female POWs and the mission takes less than a minute with the launcher.

I'll be on in six hours or so. I can run some of those if you're on. I suppose I could also grind for Cocoon. Do you have any interesting things you want to try out? Or fun tricks that you like that others might not know about?

Hi. I'll let you know in this thread, if I'm still on in 6 hours. I don't really want to do anything like that: I already finished this game and am re-playing from scratch for my 'play all metal gear games' thing I'm doing.

edit: I just finished it! yay! I'm done here, ready for MGS V :) Thanks for the offer of help but I'm not going to play this any more.

redreader fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 30, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What is the whole deal in peace walker with 'vic boss'? I don't get it. Just a rebranding of big boss?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Paz tapes being a can of worms? I thought they were just "I am cooking for the soldiers at the base. look at the butterflies, haha". I never got all of them.
edit: ah, just saw the youtube link. Disregard!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kibayasu posted:

They never re-released the HD version of Peace Walker for the Vita as far as I know so unless they patched the PSP version to accept the two control sticks the Vita has you definitely want to play it on a console. The PSP only had a single knub which makes the controls more cumbersome to deal with. The other two HD games did get their own separate Vita version so they should work fine, just smaller.

The psp version is the definitive one because if you live in a city you can get research guys at level 99 well before the end of chapter 5, just by recruiting. Any time I have ever recruited on the ps3 I only got 1-3 dudes. With a psp you walk around the block/downtown/wherever there are lots of wifi points, and recruit every 20 paces and get 8?9? guys.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Elephant Ambush posted:

I loved the original PSP release because at the time I had a job where I rode the train to a downtown job. I could just sit in the train every morning recruiting dudes. I had some crazy overpowered dudes by the time I finally finidhed everything.

Yeah this time I played it, I walked through downtown mountain view (silicon valley) every day recruiting people and getting the max every time I hit recruit. The next day I'd time my recruits differently or just walk back one block over. I didn't get great results in the train, but sometimes managed 1-2. There's too much space between the tracks and any houses.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any pre-order bonuses that seem to be must-haves? I want to get this game, but I don't want to get a gimped version of it so I sort of want the PS4 version... but... I don't want to buy a ps4 just for one loving game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
They're charging 30 loving bucks for the game. It won't be a 3 hour game. They also said they were using the peace walker style base building... I know that the base gets destroyed at the end of GZ but it doesn't mean that they can't make you pokemon-style build up the base with 30-50 hours of gameplay before that. I don't expect it to be a short game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just found a metal version of yell dead cell, when trying to figure out if there was any metal gear music in the revengeance soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxTlVMaqo8

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

There was a shark boss fight originally planned for MGS 2? :stare:

The harrier fight is one of my favourite voice acting bits in the series. David Hayter and John Cygan trying to out-yell each other is great. I'm suprised that there are fans that really dislike MGS 2. It has story telling problems, yes, and it's not as good as MGS 3, but it's still aged pretty well, and has a lot to recommend about it.

I finished MGR - it's a shame Armstrong doesn't have more screen time. Every line of dialogue he has is great. I'm glad the DLC is free, since the Bladewolf DLC is so short that I would have felt ripped off paying for it.

I played through all of the games in order recently and the one I had played the least beforehand, was MGS2. I didn't have any idea what to expect, but I knew people hated it. GOD drat IS IT AN AWESOME GAME. MGS2 is full on crazycakes and I love it. It takes a while to start ramping up the crazy but when it does, it DELIVERS bigtime.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

That loving Sned posted:

Is that Solid Snake or Big Boss on the right? He looks a lot younger than Big Boss is in Ground Zeroes, so I'd assume it's Solid Snake at the age he was in MGS1, except he has the eye patch.

It's pretty cool how far game graphics have come in 16 years, though.

E: Here's what Young Snake looked like in MGS4, for reference.

That is one straggly-rear end beard. I tried to grow a beard recently and it looked like that (i.e. terrible) so I shaved it off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, since we're talking about MGS3 stealth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boXdHEEf-s8

Edit: Oh man that URL is perfect. :allears:

I... what... I remember spending about 15 minutes trying to do that section. :smith:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm willing to bet that won't happen.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The phantom pain in the bum

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was going to get MGSV on ps4, and get a ps4 FOR MGSV... but I just pre-ordered this on ps3. I hope that's not a bad decision. I loved peace walker, and recently played all MGS games and really, really want to know what happens to big boss! :f5: :ohdear:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Also as far as I can remember, the peace walker "oh poo poo!" closing credits post-credits talk is between miller and the boss, in which: miller reveals that he knew all along that paz was a kgb plant but wanted to work together with her anyway because.... I forgot. Maybe he was using her to help build up MSF?

also big boss gives a speech to all his msf men saying "we'll probably go to hell. We'll fight for the good guys, the bad guys, whoever gives us money. we'll do dirty jobs. We don't care. I just want to make a place where soldiers are happy. somewhere... outSIDE heaven. OUTER HEAVEN!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

abagofcheetos posted:

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I didn't even think of that...

Everyone playing online with you must really hate you by now!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Years from now Hideo Kojima and Hidetaka Miyazaki meet in a bar.

They decide to compare notes and go on to create the greatest cliff-diving simulator of all time.

Right at the start I fell off a cliff, grabbed on, guessed the wrong button to pull myself up.

I liked this! it's worth 30 dollars because I like metal gear and the story was advanced a bit. I was looking forward to an MGS 2 or 3 style intro though: SNAKE YOU'RE GOING IN VIA HALO... AFTER THE SECOND WORLD WAR <SOMETHING> WAS SPLIT INTO EAST AND WEST etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was gonna get a ps4 just for this game. Now I don't know what to think. Is there any confirmation that the pc release is definitely coming after the other releases?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Clearly Hayter will voice solid snake in TPP. If liquid's around, solid should be too. Won't he show up and wreck boss' base at some point?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Did solid know who liquid was before mgs1? In mgs1 it seemed like liquid knew or knew of, and hated solid, but solid didn't know about liquid.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
At some point (how do so few people know this?) When they call for reinforcements, the answer is 'negative'. I cleared out the base a couple of times but my kill count was about double the original amount of bad guys. Also, if you get into a big firefight then escape and the enemy stands down, you'll notice that the base is suddenly very depopulated.

Ground zeroes question: is tranq or strangulation better? I want to take out a ton of guards and sneak around the entire base undetected. Which lasts longer?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
For the ground zeroes S-rank I'm not quite confident enough in my own ability to not ever have an alert. I mean I get that telling people to lie down is a good option but I'm not good enough to execute on it. And I don't want to break the game by watching and copying a speedrun video or something or reading a 'best route'.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I had never played any MGS game apart from 4 and then peace walker, then I decided to play them in order last year, so I did and finished them all.
Give 1 a miss or watch a let's play. It's good but it's dated and some sections are really tough (last boss fight, cyborg ninja fight). Play it if you feel the urge!
Play 2, 3, maybe 4, peace walker, ground zeroes.
Two is sort of dated ish but if you get the HD collection it is pretty good. Two is *loving bonkers* and very rewarding. Great game!
Three is amazing and if I'd played it when it game out my mind would have been absolutely blown. It's seriously a great game.
Four is pretty good! Yeah it's a decent game and it's metal gear. Yep.
Peace walker is my favourite of the lot. I played it on psp and ps3, whichever floats your boat.
Ground zeroes, the actual plot part, will take you maybe 1.5-2 hours max. It's got the best gameplay of the series so far but it's clearly missing some of the stuff the final game will have.

If you really want to do it the minimal way at least play 3 and peace walker, or watch lets plays. These are the games featuring the character in V, and are the games chronologically before 5. 1 and 2 (and probably 4) will be referenced in such a way that makes you think 'ohhhh, I see'.

Another reason to play the entire series is that 1/2/4 have big boss (the character of 3/peace walker/5) as a big bad dude. but, in 3/peace walker, big boss is a good dude. So V is the story of him turning evil.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't play it when it came out so I don't have the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. Either way it's a really great series.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Booya posted:

He singlehandedly destroys a tank, beats the best sniper in the world in a sniping contest, kills a psychic, destroys an attack helicopter, and kills a big fighting robot piloted by another supersoldier in the course of like, one day dude.

I don't know about you guys but MGS1 was the hardest of the lot. I also had some trouble on the fat man fight in MGS2 but overall 1 was pretty drat tough, especially liquid and the ninja. So yeah what snake does in 1 is really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Meme Emulator posted:

I found a file I forgot to delete the last time I had this problem back in 2011! No wonder the 'delete everything' strat didnt work, I still had some legacy data floating around.

Im having a heak of a lot of fun so far, don't quite understand why the game gets so much hate. Laughing Octopus was a lot of fun to fight, when she was 'hiding' in a pile of boxes and didnt even bother to stealth I couldnt help but laugh.

I don't remember that part of the fight. Do you mean she actually fell into the boxes?

• Locked thread