Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
3 is probably my favourite in the series, but what frustrates me is how terrible I am at it. I never got the hang of the stealth mechanics and when I try to emulate the youtube videos where people are running full sprint in European extreme right next to guards and not getting caught or alerted it never works out well. How do they make it look so easy?! Still to this day during playthroughs I play like a bitch and just tranq everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, since we're talking about MGS3 stealth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boXdHEEf-s8

Edit: Oh man that URL is perfect. :allears:

Fuuuuuck, that's exactly the type of video I was talking about.

Is there a good breakdown of guard mechanics in this game somewhere? Experimenting by myself is just a miserable loving failure each time.

The sad thing about these videos is unless you've played the games before it doesn't look like you're doing anything impressive, from a new player's perspective. Just looks like a guy running around. :downs:

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

In It For The Tank posted:

Check out this insanely in-depth FOXHOUND Rank guide.

It's still a work in progress after like 20 months of development, but this guy demonstrates multiple ways to progress through each area of MGS3. Watching these videos will give you a good sense for how guard mechanics and stealth gameplay work, and should allow you to begin developing strategies of your own.

The latest video ends with the Fury.

Holy loving poo poo this is ridiculously actually amazing. He's like that magician who reveals the tricks of other magicians on TV, except instead of magicians here we're talking about Japanese MGS players, who apparently all just inherently have mad MGS skills

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
There's barely any information on how the PS3 and 360 versions play. All we know is that it's 30fps and 720p right? I hope that's all the differences are and that functionally they are on par with the current gen versions.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

MrLonghair posted:

You get Peacewalker HD (for PS3) if you pre-order the PS3 digital over PSN. Not too shabby.

I was planning on getting ground zeroes anyway so I might do this even though I own peace walker on PSP, as well as the PS3 HD collection on Blu ray. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually I can't check at work, is this offer valid on Canada PSN store?

Trico fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 6, 2014

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
There's a Fulton scene in the Dark Knight that manages to not look that cartoonish. Maybe TPP will look something like that?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What I love about MGS games, is that nearly all boss battles have some method of cheesing them whether through design or glitch. An example of the latter is the fight with the Pain, where by eating a fake death pill and reviving when he turns his back, and throwing a stun grenade, you can unleash an entire AK clip to train all of his stamina in mere seconds. An example of through design is the fight with The End-- either headshot him early in the game, or set your internal clock forward a few weeks. It's nice that for most boss fights there's effectively an option to skip them, if you don't feel like playing through how they're supposed to be played you don't really have to. And most of these tricks are completely nonobvious the first time you play, so most of the time you play through it "correctly" before stumbling upon the shortcut methods.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
I will be 90 years old and still occasionally someone will unearth details about MGS3 I didn't know about.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Which MGS games were released on PC? I only know about MGS2. Which one was the terrible one?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Wait we're talking about Substance right? I wish Subsistence had been on PC. I lost my PS2 and my PS3 refuses to read Blu rays anymore. I need a way to play MGS3! (I tried using my PS2 copy in an emulator but it runs terribly.)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
I know the PS4 version has leaked, but has anybody in the wild gotten their hands on the PS3 version? I'm still anxious to know how smoothly it actually runs. (Despite the fact that I'll be playing it in only 3 days anyway)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Is Stealth camo and infinite ammo bandana back in this game?

Konami can keep their cardboard box, if I can have these two unlockables.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Does anyone know if it's possible to eliminate the entire map of guards? Whether by killing or tranqing or CQC?

One of my favourite dicking-around activities in the MGS series is finding out ways to take out every single guard on the map without being spotted, and then running around the map shooting off guns and making Snake be a complete spaz. Which wouldn't work if guards were infinitely respawning.

MGS3's hold up mechanic was the best for this because they wouldn't get up after any amount of time, and you could be as loud as possible without having to resort to killing guards.

Trico fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 17, 2014

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

I said come in! posted:

I wish we could get a confirmation on when this will be available on PSN tomorrow.

I preordered the PS3 version and the PSN store told me it would be ready at 12:01AM. But then again, who really knows with Sony?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Speaking as a huge MGS fan, I am definitely planning on spending a lot of time replaying the missions.

But the reality is, from what we've heard through early leaks and official previews, there's not a lot of content for those who plan to only go through the main story once. I feel like more casual players going into this, expecting maybe a Blood Dragon amount of campaign length will be disappointed.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
gently caress yeah

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What loving dark magic did KojimaPro have to get involved with to accomplish these near-instant load times on PS3? I hated playing stealth runs on games like Dishonored or Human Revolution simply because reloading your previous save took a good minute of staring at the loading screen. I'm really impressed at how fast restarting a checkpoint in this game is, on last gen hardware. It's so refreshing, being able to retry a section for perfect stealth, and only having to wait mere seconds in between attempts.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

timeandtide posted:

Serious question: how do you roll? Kaz's tutorial says L2+L3, but that just brings up your weapon for me unless it's something you use contextually.

Aim your gun, move to the side, then click in the left stick while still moving to the side.

You need to be prone for this move to work. The traditional MGS roll is gone!

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
So it seems the knockout mechanics have been changed again for this iteration:
(I could be wrong, but this is what I gathered so far)
Basic CQC slam: very short knockout
CQC grab+choke: longer knockout
Tranq dart: indefinite knockout until discovered
Hold up+"get down" option: effectively knocked out indefinitely until discovered

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

KidDynamite posted:

On Hard they get up from everything. It's pretty annoying.

Oh poo poo, even holdups?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

AtrociousToaster posted:

Try rolling for a long distance. Gets you a XOF patch and a loving hilarious cutscene.

Holy poo poo, that's what that was? I thought I randomly found one while rolling and I thought the slowmo played on your very first patch discovery regardless of what you were doing. I didn't know it was roll-specific.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

AtrociousToaster posted:

I think so, since they show it falling into snakes suit and then coming back out. It was literally the first thing that happened when I started the game last night cause I was dicking around with the controls and I could not stop laughing.

Honestly, I used that goofy rear end move to get around everywhere in MGS4. It keeps your camo index low, it's pretty fast, and it looks ridiculous as all hell for long distances. I'm glad they brought it back in this game.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
No other sound in games has as much of an effect on me than the MGS alert sound. Sneaking in this series is the most tense and nerve wracking stealth game play available.

Btw, how long do you think it'll be before we get crazy Japanese Nico Nico videos with high level guard fuckery? I can't picture it in this game, with the relatively simpler loadout Snake gets.

Trico fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 19, 2014

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

The Dark Id posted:

Huey drove his Professor X wheelchair into a swimming pool after he caught teenage Otacon banging his wife. It seems unlikely. :v:

Hahaha I keep forgetting that happened. MGS is awesome

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

blackguy32 posted:

I keep trying to do the CQC slam from a standing position but he always grabs the guy first to restrain him and then he does the throw. The manual says I can do it without restraining the guy first. What gives?

I was having trouble with this until I realized prolonging your R1 (R2 on PS4) will make Snake restrain the guard. So to do CQC slam only, you need left stick in any direction + very very brief R1 tap. I had a problem with this because in the old games, R1 (regardless of press length) plus left stick direction would cause a CQC slam, so in GZ I was actually holding R1 down without realizing it.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
David Hayter changed his twitter profile to Kiefer Sutherland again.. I was rooting for him at the start but he really can't seem to let this go.

Speedball posted:

Move slower when you get closer!

Alternatively, hold down the aim button as you close the distance, and the holdup should trigger before the guy has a chance to turn around if you keep it held down as you get to the right distance.

Basically, don't wait until you get close to press aim, by that point it'll be too late.

Trico fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2014

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Anyone with a more intimate knowledge of the mechanics know what the difference between the white guard suspicion indicators is?

As far as I know, there are two types:
1. A traditional "ring" style which informs you of the direction of the suspicious guard. (as in far cry 3 or splinter cell blacklist)
2. A lens flare that gets brighter and wider on the corner of the screen that comes in from where the guard's location is.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Interesting nuance I noticed today: If you aim with the empty magazine while prone, Snake will insta-rotate to the direction of your camera like in MGS4, whereas normal guns will adapt his body position according to where you're facing.

Useful for if you want to instantly change the direction Snake (ie. if you're prone and you want to immediately head backwards)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
The only thing I feel was lacking about GZ was the lack of items in the left D-pad slot. We only get NVG and we never find anything else on the base for that slot. Would've been nice to have had some extra stuff to play with. Every game in the series has had a plethora of completely useless items (and also not-so-useless items) in the "equippable" item slot that were fun to play around with.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
These hosed-up fan theories will be retroactively considered "pretty sane" when the actual game comes out and the plot is so much more bizarre than anything fans can imagine.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Won't sneaking become too easy now that you can Fulton everything away? Even if there's a recharge period you cannot run out of Fultons, so effectively you don't need to worry about guards waking up, right?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Who says the line "A shining light, to our brothers in arms, even in death" in the E3 trailer? I actually can't tell if that's Kiefer or Kaz talking. I'm for real. I had trouble distinguishing the two in GZ as well. They don't always sound alike to me, it's only some lines. What the gently caress is wrong with me

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Ahhhh I can't wait to do the Intel operative rescue mission pacifist run with the mouse, I struggled so much with it on PS3.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Is this really new?

I remembered the previous stream playing exactly the same.

Goat sound effect, fart sound effect, then the Quiet trailer...

Is this a repeat?

V that's right, the tattoos... I can't understand Japanese but it seems like they're just recycling the previous presentation's script lol

Trico fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Man, they're not even trying to pretend that the gameplay demo was rehearsed and planned out in advance like crazy

edit: they even focused on the boots the same way they did last time

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
HAHAHA Lisa decoy this time! something different finally!

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
gently caress YEAH bring on the fashion show again, that's what the gently caress I'm waiting for

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

don't forget that otacon uses an Apple computer in MGS4

Also the unnecessarily faithful recreation of the clickwheel iPod in-game item

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Cosmos posted:

Counting down the days till GZ comes out on PC. Anyone else here that hasn't played GZ yet and is waiting for the Steam release?

I played it on PS3 but I am awaiting the PC release for two main reasons: 1) smoother gameplay and clear graphics and 2) owning the poo poo out of the Intel Operative mission by using the mouse to aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZzNJ6o-2A

Here's a link to a video guide some guy made for the knockout times and spotting distances in this game.

The spotting distances seems to be flaky and it doesn't seem to be consistent in the actual game, but the knockout times are pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMptPmlL6bQ

Additionally, here is another link to a video guide featuring an absurdly detailed analysis of CQC in this game.

• Locked thread