Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't really notice any button prompts, where are you seeing them? I found myself more annoyed that we got too little information, since it seems to have no health bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I didn't really like the new Snake, but that part with him and Kaz talking confused me. In the Japanese release, I thought Snake was the one giving the new plan (figuring out Paz might be working for Cipher, etc) and then it switched to Kaz when talking about his mission. In the new trailer, it seems to be all Kaz.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

John Luebke posted:

The biggest issue I'm having with Sutherland's performance so far is that he doesn't sound as if he's part of Kaz's conversation, I'm not sure how to explain this but his individual lines just don't really connect with Kaz's VA's delivery.

After watching it again I think I agree. It sounds like he was just kind of prompted to read the lines without any real context.

Ironically, "Kept you waiting, huh" actually sounded like he was talking to Kaz, for me, though that's kind of a problem. He's supposed to be saying it to the viewer, as a nod to MGS2, but instead he's saying it to someone else.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I wonder if there will be a moment in MGS5 like there was with Gray Fox at the end of MGS1, where you can't fire the missile because Snake doesn't want to kill him.

If you use up all your Stinger Missiles before that scene, Snake says he can't because he's out of ammo. Puts a whole new spin on that scene.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

For me, it's more that she's Pearl from Spongebob. I still like the voice, but realizing that was the weirdest thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I love the plot of the MGS games, but I'm under no illusions of it being good in any way. It's an anime plot for people who don't watch much anime, and that's fine.

I did think the ending of Revengeance was loving stupid though, even by MGS standards.

Revengence felt like the guys at Platinum understood what Metal Gear was truly about, even moreso than Kojima. Seeing the guy try and tackle real issues like racism and Quiet's design tell me he really does think he can write, while Platinum literally had a beefed up US senator punt Raiden fifty feet in the air while an unseen crowd cheered.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If anything I think Platinum's light touch on the plot in MGR works to it benefit; they never filibuster you with twenty minutes monologues about convoluted fake history and THEMES and whilst it's entirely possible to ignore the game's politics and appreciate it purely for the spectacle, making the villain a libertarian congressman who wants to reignite the war of terror to further his political goals is probably the most grounded and true to life Metal Gear has ever been.

Yeah, exactly. You still get the Metal Gear craziness and they even touch on serious issues, but they convey it far better than the main series games ever have. We've gotten Snake calling himself nothing but a murderer a million times, but he doesn't typically do much killing in cutscenes. Raiden slices a kid in half just to get at the rear end in a top hat taking him hostage.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Except MGS1 was all about the threat of nuclear weapons. Hell, even MG2 was about how war scars a person for life. The oh so amazing Snake Eater was also about the dangers of nationalism.

So unless Kojima has never understood the series we all proclaim to love, Revengeance did nothing.

Kojima's not a great writer but he's a writer with passion and ambition and I respect that. It's why I love MGS2 more than any other MG game. It was the one he clearly tried his best at.
The problem is that he's completely garbage at conveying them, which is what I mean. Revengeance got its point across without hours and hours of cutscenes with awkward dialogue.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Armstrong was about a million times more satisfying to take down then like, anything in the past MGS games (except for maybe The Boss, but that's different).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I honestly don't see how you can have a better underdog story than defeating the guy who was literally created to be better than you in every way.

Because as far as the story and gameplay goes, this means absolutely nothing and we don't even know if it was the case. Snake has spent his entire life being trained for battle and so has Liquid. The only real difference in the two is that Liquid jumped at the chance to get a Metal Gear, something Snake has already destroyed twice before in the timeline.

Also, having to go through fighting him over and over is really exhausting and made the previous ones seem completely pointless. Metal Gear is destroyed but he doesn't actually care, you push him off Metal Gear and he still doesn't care, why are you even fighting him if he's just going to shake it off? In the end, he dies from FoxDie from a complete lucky chance. If that hadn't happened, Snake probably would've been killed, completely out of the player's (and Snake's) hands. That really doesn't feel satisfying to me at all.

Armstrong did the same thing to an extent, and even that was overkill. He didn't need three "rounds" to prove how strong he was, I would have just preferred two.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It reeked more of bad writing to me than it did showing Liquid's superiority. We got what, three different showdowns between the two before he finally died? At that point you can really just keep asking "Why didn't Liquid just get up again?" (which he ended up doing which renders everything moot anyway). They really have a bad habit of trying to draw out the drama in order to make it more epic, when all it does is come off as a cheap ploy. That's why hours and hours of cutscenes explaining things is a lot less effective than Rising's five or so minutes of things actually happening.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Anybody who plays through MGS1-3 (I'm still not really sure about MGS4 but its buried under such monolithic cutscenes that its pretty hard to parse) and thinks Kojima isn't aware of what he's writing on a few levels is taking a fairly superficial reading of the material. Just because Metal Gear Rising is over-the-top action in its boss fights and their introductions and monologues doesn't mean that its more "self-aware" of what MGS is all about, it means its doing what a game in its genre is supposed to, be over-the-top about its boss fights. Platinum simply managed to weave in some fairly unsubtle tie-ins to various themes that the MGS brought up over the course of the series, mostly from MGS2 and 4.

But come on, Kojima literally wrote in cheat codes to MGS2 as a serious part of the story ("Infinite ammo"). He deliberately made MGS2 a rehash of MGS as part of a not-so-subtle dig of the nature of sequels, among other reasons. MGS3 even does this! Seriously, compare the broad strokes of MGS1 and MGS3 and its still very much the same kind of plot with the same kind of characters, with a few major exceptions. It was just told straight instead of of being part of a critique. Kojima was well aware a large majority of the fans and players didn't really get/appreciate/like what he'd done in MGS2 so he put that in a desk drawer and wrote a silly, over-the-top (yes, the game with the Beeman, Not-Spiderman, Geriatric Sniper, and Flaming Skull is just as over-the-top as throwing a Metal Gear RAY into the air and "Nanomachines, son."), Cold War spy-action-thriller with a lot of the same beats as the previous two games but instead of taking itself seriously to make a point (not that MGS3 didn't have a point or themes, just that literally everything didn't revolve around them, unlike MGS2) it took itself just seriously enough to absolutely break your heart at the end.

The problem is Kojima has always tried to have it both ways. While he is clearly self aware, he still tries and fails to have serious messages, and seems to think he's actually good at doing so.

Also, while Armstrong is clearly making fun of the rest of MGS, he still fits perfectly in the grand scheme of things. That's why he fits so well and that's why it feels like Platinum knew what they were doing better than Kojima.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

One thing I never understood was how Rose and Colonel Campbell knew each other in MGS4, when they never actually met in MGS2 since the colonel in that game was actually an AI. Rose's new design was pretty good though, but I don't know what the point was to only having two codec frequencies you could call, and one of them was just for telling you how to prevent your psyche from going down.
The part that always confused me is that they thought Rose was the character players would want to talk to. Did anyone actually like her in MGS2? There's like zero incentive to ever call her in 4, and it's really a shame the codec calls were so bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If the game's really that short, I have to wonder what point there is to having a Mother Base. Wouldn't the game be over before you even get anything good?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

I had no idea there would be base stuff in Ground Zeroes... why the gently caress are people complaining about the length then? Obviously it is meant to be played a few (hundred) times.

Aren't there only five missions total? Doing those over and over sounds like it'd get boring pretty fast.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I hate the way the game looks. The MGS2 graphic style has not aged very well, and just looking at Snake and Liquid makes me glad they didn't stick with it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

People are afraid of change.

The reasons they gave really make me dislike the change. MGS' story will never be taken seriously. Never.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Only a 5% chance? That's no fun. Give us the option to shoot the balloon down ourselves.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They're entertaining games with really silly things happening, but yes, they are stupid as all hell. That's why I'm annoyed at Kojima taking all these new liberties with the series in the name of making a more serious story. The guy has like no leg to stand on when it comes to these things, so I'm really hoping the games don't suffer.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Comic posted:

Every single game has had some higher message to it. MGS1 was anti-nuke, MGS2 was about information control, MGS3 was about nations and ideologies, MGS4 was about... uh, nukes, information control, and nations and ideologies. Also the costs of war. Peace Walker addressed the potential cost of peace.

Kojima trying to say something serious about things isn't new. He might just be actually trying to address stuff like racism, how the first world treats the third world, and stuff now more directly.

The very broad themes are alright in their own sense, but the way the guy writes is pretty crap. Just look at the hours of cutscenes talking about how war is bad in MGS4, and then notice the million different things you can put on your gun to kill people. I get really conflicting messages from the gameplay and the story.

edit: I enjoyed Policenauts, I also like how you can pinpoint the very moment Kojima lost his mind (secret organ black market moon base).

Momomo fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 14, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Aurain posted:

I wonder if anyone ever thought Tatiana was someone other than EVA?

I thought it was so incredibly obvious that I instantly discounted EVA.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If by opening you mean the vid that plays before the title screen, I've owned the game since the Essential Collection for the PS2 came out, and I have yet to watch that movie fully.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Putting the controller on a flat surface helps a lot too.

Get a bottlecap and rub the side of it against the button, that lets you press it a lot faster. I really don't know why it works, but it does.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

mascotte posted:

I'd say that Eli fits into that trope way more than Skullface. The couple seconds we see of Eli in the trailer have more hints at him being Liquid Snake than we have of Skullface being someone we know in everything we've seen so far. Kojima said that he wouldn't concern himself with the canon if it meant he couldn't tell the story he wanted to tell, so I don't think we should be hesitant to accept new characters.

He's around the age Liquid would be during this time, and he was shown with a snake on his lap when we saw him. I think it's pretty clear it's supposed to be him.

Skullface is totally going to be Hot Coldman.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Couldn't it be Solid Snake also? What is keeping it from being him?

Mostly that his name is Eli and we know Solid's name is David, I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't like the Twin Snakes cutscenes mostly because the game's a remake. If it was its own thing, it'd probably bother me a lot less, but this was adding a bunch of action to a game that was toned down when it came to that. That's why stuff like Snake jumping on missiles bothers me but Raiden slicing a Metal Gear in half is perfectly fine.

Also, I still think the codec portraits in MGS1 are far better looking than any of the ways the other games try and portray them, awful animation and all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

People say Twin Snakes is overwrought but don't bat an eye at the fact you have a shirtless fistfight on top of a burning robot. :shrug:

All things considered, I hated that part. Dude just wouldn't loving die so the dramatic fist fight was absolutely pointless.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mistle posted:

Many MG games harken back to "fistfight in dangerous area", it's one of the "things a Metal Gear game does".

By this criteria, the fistfight at the end of MGS4 is bad, and on that metric, you possess factually wrong opinion :colbert:

That one was fine because Ocelot actually died in it. I just hate that Liquid got beaten and fell off the Metal Gear just for him to be perfectly fine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

My main thought during that trailer was "I wonder if anyone's still going to argue Big Boss isn't evil now?"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

This is why the games are so charming. It's just an increasingly ridiculous soap opera.

Kojima seems to have gotten the wrong idea and thinks his stories are unironically good though, that's why I don't like Snake's new voice. He's trying something different with this game, but has shown no real proof that he's up to the task of making a grimdark Metal Gear game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I have always gotten really mixed messages from MGS' anti war message when they give me the option of customizing my gun in about a billion different ways. The series may preach that war is bad, but it ends up feeling glorified to me when all is said and done.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Didn't stop Kojima from doing it again in MGS3. I didn't think Miller was Liquid since even though the voices were the same, VAs get reused a lot. For Tatyana I figured there was no possible way Kojima could write something that stupid and obvious.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

randombattle posted:

People also forgot to mention the hour+ long cutscene at the end where in snake says absolutely nothing while Big Boss rants about how this guy Zero who Snake has never seen or heard of is actually the bad guy even though he is an incontenent vegetable. God that whole ending was loving terrible.

I hate most of the stuff they talked about, but I love it as an ending because it's by far the most MGS thing about the game. Kojima's original ending where Snake and Otacon give themselves up sounded terrible anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You can nonlethal her just fine. In fact, doing pure CQC is the coolest way to go about fighting her at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

acksplode posted:

I think the demo had white blood and I honestly thought it looked better and made more narrative sense :\

It makes more sense narratively with Sam, but there are scenes like Raiden pulling the sword out of his stomach that are more effective with the red blood. It's kind of interesting, the way it ended up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Why would he do anything he does? Because any time you can think of Ocelot betraying someone (even himself) then it's probably true.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The problem with porting an updated MGS4 to another system is that you'd have to play MGS4 again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

She probably did have a job, I figure Raiden wanted to be able to give his family the best life they could have, especially since he can't really function in normal day-to-day life.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ausmund posted:

...um she shes the person that saves your progress. She's probably the most important codec contact you have. And couldn't you say the same thing about Chinese proverbs and movie chat with Paramedic? Why aren't those characters hated and despised like Rose?

You don't have entire conversations about the proverbs. She tells them and then explains them, she doesn't constantly pester Snake about their meanings.

Rose might have had some plot reason or some meta reasons for existing to bug the player, but making a character just to be annoying isn't really winning any points with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There is no way in hell I would ever buy another MGS set-

al-azad posted:

Metal Gear Collection for Steam? Yes please.

God loving drat it. That better not be it, Kojima.

• Locked thread