Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really hope this isn't a hoax.

It's not. The article announcing it is on the site, you just can't click on it because they uploaded it too early by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It is a Steambox joke.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aw man now I see it too :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All you'd need to do is add an eyepatch to Solid in that pic and put "And then I'm gonna FULTON you!" at the end and you'd be pretty much up to date.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh they didn't swear their loyalty to Big Boss, that'd never work. He just let Miller run loose in the brig until all the stubborn soldiers got tired of him and went to their posts at mother base, just to get away from him.

Gruckles posted:

Because Mother Base has the best ice cream socials and sock hops of any military force.

Audio logs can prove this.

Also best naked shower fights, I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, getting these parts off the bosses in Peace Walker feels like I'm playing Monster Hunter with this stuff,

Y'know, funny you should mention...

edit: snipped the image, I won't spoil the surprise

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have finished the story, or at least I've finished Chapter 4. I don't know if 5 is considered part of the story or not.

Alright well if you've finished the story then you've unlocked the pre-requesites to unlock the thing I snipped so:

Your Monster Hunter comparison wasn't entirely off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Stab posted:

He hasn't finished chapter 5 yet.

Oh, do you have to finish chapter 5 to unlock it? Ah well. I just love posting that screenshot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Master of inconsistent names.

Yep, that's Master Kazuhira McDonell Benedict Miller alright.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We've also got more pepsi, mountain dew, and doritos than you could ever want. No shut up, it was a merch tie-in, MSF's funding doesn't come from nowhere you know!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Improbable Lobster posted:

People should announcing fan remakes before they're done, otherwise they're just begging for a C/D letter

Yes because going to the huge effort of creating a fan remake and then being sued/C&D'd for even attempting to put it out there without asking is a much better idea than a "no stop that" slap on the wrist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, you make the game and don't tell anyone about it until it is done and out there so that when you DO get C/D'd the game will have already spread online. Getting C/D'd is almost inevitable so long as you aren't making a flash game or some other poo poo that no one cares about so you might as well wait until you have something to show for it.

E: That's assuming that you actually want to put a game out. If you announce it early then you might as well just cancel it then and there because 9/10 times you'll be getting an email from lawyers in a couple hours.

Then you are guaranteed to get sued so no that's still a bad idea. But at least people will be playing our hard work while Konami is sapping my money every month until I am 50 years old!! :downs:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Snake opens his presents first and is initially upset that he got mostly clothes, until Liquid accuses him of receiving the better jeans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really the only qualifications current Big Boss meets that apply to the old Big Boss are "has eyepatch" and "has the patriot sometimes".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Meryl ending is better thematically anyway. Considering how they bastardized her in MGS4 I think I'd have preferred the Otacon ending to be canon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7YhYnTQHg&t=310s

Tickle rods are best torture scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The custcenes in Twin Snakes are god drat hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Miller being Liquid the whole time is like my favorite thing about MGS' multiple-plot-twists-in-a-row because I'm pretty sure you only have 2 mandatory conversations with him throughout the entire game besides the part where he is introduced. If you don't bother talking to him, the twist changes from "Master Miller was Liquid the whole time!" to "Yet another person on Campbell's ops team is an idiot double agent!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Campbell must be so easily fooled too. Like all it would've had to take is Liquid going "Yes, Colonel Campbell, I am Master Miller. It is me. Master Kazuhira Benedict McDonnel Miller. Alaskan huskies and socks." and he's just "yep I'm convinced welcome aboard".

edit: Joke's on Liquid, he spent the whole game cosplaying as a dude who routinely got in naked shower fights with Big Boss and preyed on teen foreign girls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the convo you can have with him in MGS1 if you go into the women's bathroom and hang around before Meryl gets there, in which he admonishes you for doing so and then says "but personally I don't fault you for it". He was a creepo even before MGS4. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

Don't forget the tape cassette that plays the national anthem which causes all guards to immediately halt and salute for the duration.

On a serious note, if Phantom Pain doesn't let me fulton poisonous hamsters I'm loving done with the series.

Poisonous goddamn zanzibar hamsters.

I love the Metal Gear series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think something similar to the blue ! from Peace Walker would be a good middle ground. The reason it's in that game is because the PSP has poo poo when it comes to precise aiming, so they give you an extra split second to get on target before the guard actually goes on alert. In GZ/TP it could be there because they expect you to use reflex mode but you don't have to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sharzak posted:

Tablet posting so I can't kink it but in that third image snake is shooting rockets at a different snake? Proof david Hayter is in the game after all?

It's part of the multiplayer teaser thing. The two Snakes (TWIN SNAKES? :aaa:) represent different players.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Japanese MGR has a DLC sword that's imbued with Solid Snake's spirit so I'm just gonna assume they finally killed him off.

That thing Kojima said about being tired of Snake still bugs the crap out of me because he's only actually in like 3 MGS games compared to Big Boss' six.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blackheart posted:

This is so retarded, I pretty much have to see it now.

Solidus coming back as a cyborg with a huge-rear end washing pole as some kind of blind swordsman would be loving radical.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'd much rather they did something new and interesting (like they did with Rising!) rather than just retread old story beats for fanservice.

You are playin' the wrong game series, friend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with you. I'm just saying that rehashing the plot with new people but some of the old people is a solidified "thing" in Metal Gear-land.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Alchemist posted:

So.. how the hell did Kojima end up making the next Silent Hill? Is there a story behind this, or is Konami getting frustrated of the last 3 or so installments to the series being really sub-bar so now they are just throwing poo poo on the wall and see what sticks?

Kojima mentioned he wanted to do the next Silent Hill game since there is no Team Silent anymore and Konami was like "yeah sure why not". As far as I know there is nothing to it other than that because every SH game since 4 has been made by a different developer every time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My initial reaction was "oh please god no just let the series die already" but now I am hesitantly excited.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GreatGreen posted:

Watching a few let's plays have made me remember why I never got into these games before. David Hayter does the most obnoxious try-hard-to-be-badass voice I've ever heard. Christ.

*exaggeration*

It's pretty much nothing like that but I do agree that Snake/Big Boss' voice can be a bit silly sounding. I don't like Kiefer much better though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I just don't like it, it has nothing to do with it not being David Hayter's dulcet grumbling tones. Maybe in the actual game it won't be as meh-worthy of a performance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mash posted:

Not too keen on Troy Baker as Revolver Ocelot yet, he just sounds so average.

Despite just ragging on Kiefer for being Big Boss, this is what I'm actually upset about in the voice actor choices department. I hope Troy Baker Ocelot doesn't end up just sounding like Troy Baker.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kojima was like "Well what if we just make it Zanzibar again so I can put in those hamsters" and someone slapped him and said "no just make it generic middle east" so he did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, Phatom Pain utilizing the clock in a Dead Rising-like way would be kinda cool. "This is happening at this time, so be there or you'll miss it", et cetera.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's because that kinda poo poo doesn't work in other video games. Other games have attuned you to not experimenting with out-of-the-ordinary means because there's generally only one or a few plainly obvious ways to do things. Games like Metal Gear Solid bother to mess with that trope a bit so that when you do realize you have the ability to break those conventions, it becomes a more interesting game because o it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the one about the Raikov mask where Sigint goes in detail for like 5 minutes about how intricate and amazing it is for the time period right down to the dynamically blinking eyes, and then Snake goes "What about making the mouth move?" and Sigint just laughs and calls him crazy.

edit: Speaking of the Raikov mask, after Snake gets his eye blasted off, the Raikov mask will have one eye closed, so it's cool they thought of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

xergm posted:

That could have more to do with the fact the Volgin caught him with the mask, which is the whole reason the torture takes place. Guards were probably told that Raikov was to be detained on sight until it could be verified it wasn't just some blinkable mask.

This is true, but funnily enough despite already knowing this, Volgin himself will be fooled for a second during your first fight if you put it on while facing away from him and then turn around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I could be playing exciting new games, not MGS3 for the twentieth time...

Why would you when you could play MGS3 for the twentieth time?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All I can imagine when I hear "MGSV Special Stage" is Big Boss running down the sides of a 3D tube full of landmines and gold rings. If you collect enough rings you get a special shiny cardboard box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

jerkstoresup posted:

Yep, that's Kaz. Ocelot is there as well (plus his personal unit?) but no sign of Big Boss anywhere. Time to speculate!

Big Boss is Quiet confirmed.

• Locked thread