Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I said come in! posted:

At this point probably not, but it would be real nice to see MGS3 and 4 on PC. The former is amazing, the latter is a complete trainwreck.

FTFY. Seriously, even Chip and Ironicus were tired of MGS4 before they ended their LP. Everyone should see it, but it's probably the worst MGS (after 2). The gameplay is good but there's too little of it and it's being constantly brought down by a terrible plot full of retcons and asspulls. Also, it ends like four times.

Really wish the HD Collection made its way on Steam. I don't think porting it would be that expensive, seeing how there's a 360 version (similar architecture IIRC) but Konami are pretty terrible with that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I honestly kinda hope the FOX engine is gonna be like Konami's version of Capcom's MT Framework Engine in that they run really well on whatever you wanna run it on.

Well judging by Pro Evolution Soccer (which runs on Fox Engine since last year) it is pretty demanding in terms of specs. But then again PES is developed by Konami's b-team. MGR ran perfectly.

ChaosArgate posted:

I was reading up on how Bluepoint remastered the games in the HD Collection and part of the process was building a good PC version, so I hope they can refine that build and push it to Steam at some point. Peace Walker on Steam sounds like the best thing. :allears:

MGS3 in 1080/60! Seeing how well MGR did and that RE4 remaster sold so well they are doing RE1 HD on Steam now (I know it's Capcom but still) Konami would be really silly not to put out HD Collection.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

2 seems really rushed and it shows in the its pacing. Playing as Raiden wasn't even an issue for me but the plot was completely retarded especially since I don't buy the deconstruction angle one bit. Even if Kojima did try it, he mostly failed. I guess I just liked to dick around with 4's gameplay more in the brief periods I could actually enjoy it. The saying's true: odd-numbered MGSes are the best.

e: although 2 had a great soundtrack, loved the synths.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I got a question for people who played Ground Zeroes (I'm waiting for the PC port) - MGSV is like Peace Walker gameplay-wise, right? It's still a collection of small but more open-ended missions? What's the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Wow, this sounds awesome. How's the gunplay btw? Is going guns-blazing a viable option?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ground Zeros serves as a preface to Phantom Pain plot-wise. It's like the tanker episode in MGS2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Nakar posted:

All evidence so far suggests this will be Super Duper Peace Walker, so if you loved Peace Walker you'll probably love TPP. Of course it also looks way better than Peace Walker and will probably play way better if the GZ control scheme is any indication (and as we've seen from the gameplay videos, TPP has far more in the way of features).

Peace Walker with a huge open world. If there's one person in game industry who will try to make an interesting open world it's Kojima. Just think of the crazy stuff he'll put there.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

If you start Main Ops 006 and ride to Afghani village #4 in less than 15 minutes you can press your ear up against a door and hear baby Johnny Sasaki making GBS threads his guts out.

Or find sentient cats and dinosaurs and hunt them to use their bones as metal gear cannons. Yeah.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

MGS, MGS3, and Peace Walker have the best codecs. MGS3's is really good with giving weird advice on how to fight bosses you might not think about.

Quoted for truth. MSG3 had one codec call where Snake asks the weapons guy about the naked camo saying: "Can I take my pants off?". This cracked me up like hell. Just the delivery on that was brilliant.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, that's why MGS3 codec is so good. Pretty much everyone treats Big Boss like a dumbass. They respect him as a soldier, but still treat him like he's retarded at points.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm getting married this month and I DEFINITELY can't afford to spend more money on crap, but still...

I was watching last MGSV conference stream with my wife and she couldn't understand why the main protagonist was tying a balloon to a goat and why I was so happy to see that. "There's this Japanese game-maker, see, and he's basically insane..."

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah that's actually the first version of MGS1 I ever played, but IIRC about how that version looked, even the PC version wouldn't look so great in a 2014 release.

It was actually called MGS Integral, it came with VR missions.

Also, please this be MGS3 appearing on Steam. Just that one game and I'll be happy.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

When does todays Kojima Station begin?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

RJWaters2 posted:

The only thing revealed was a teaser from tomorrow's TGS presentation in which Quiet has full-body stealth camouflage powers and jumps into Mother Base from a chopper. Miller and some soldiers were impressed, is what I took away from it.

Wait, so the TGS presentation is tomorrow, not next week?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

e: So when are we getting actual MGSV news? Soon?

Bookmark this stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKC-mwfJdII

Schedule:
September 18
12:00 – 13:05: Vocation – new information, trailer and gameplay demonstration for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Unveiling of new merchandise. Hideo Kojima, Ken-ichiro Imaizumi, Yuji Korekado, Jackie Tan, and Dante Carver.[/quote]

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Two things from that gameplay video:
- Kojima really liked Far Cry 3
- Quiet sings a little tune through her comms every time she takes a sniper position

EDIT: Oh, and Kojima apparently confirmed that it's coming out in 2015.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 18, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

I love that, now that we're playing the Big Boss we came to know, we're also building an ocean hunting lodge for superpowered weirdos, and they can actually come with us on missions!!

The real question is: can you take Running Man with you on missions?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

Translated cutscene dialog (via reddit):
Snake's lines are something that can be interpreted, as Quiet will most likely die in MGS5... but I'm going to refrain from watching any more cutscene segments if possible. I want these kinds of moments to be fresh when I play them for myself.

I really hope Kaz reads his line like this.

Here's the subbed version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5haAOFrRQM

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder if that means there'll be more support characters though...

There will be and there's gonna be at least one more gameplay video this TGS showing a different support. Not sure if it's shown tomorrow or on the 20th.

This pretty much confirms that the game is going to have PW mission structure. A-ok by me if only they tone down the vehicle fights.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

New stream coming up in 5 hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OBiTn6Smw

(Since it says GZ in the title it may contain the release date for the Steam port)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

loss.jpg

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

TGS gameplay demo with English narration is up on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-exclusive-kojima-q-a-on-the-tgs/1100-6422389/

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

This game is already crazy in terms of features. Day/night cycle, weather effects, buddies, huge open maps, lots of upgradable weapons and costumes, destructible environment (there's a bridge getting blown up in this last video), base building and exploring, wild animals, fultoning everything apart from the buildings, weapon physics with bullet drop, horse that can poo poo on command. There's been like three ways to take an enemy helicopter shown so far and none of them involved rocket launchers ffs. Oh and you can set grass on fire, Far Cry style.

Someone here mentioned that the game will be QA's worst nightmare and they were right. They will be testing it for months and people will still break it on the on the release day, whenever that may be.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

It's a pretty safe bet that they'll announce the date like a month before or so without any fanfare. Konami put MGR on Steam on the first day of the x-mas sale, three weeks before launch. There was only a single tweet saying it'd come out soon, a month before that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

So hey, will the PC version of GZ have only the Jamais Vu mission or both of them? Any info on that?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The GIG posted:

The consoles recently got patched to have both so PC will probably have both too.

Oh, cool. Is any of these missions any good?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

They're alright. Deja Vu is a little better than Jamais Vu. In Deja Vu,m you go around the base and try to recreate MGS scenes. If you recreate them all, you get to take a Metal Gear quiz where Kaz impersonates everyone. The models are replaced with PSX counterparts, and it's snowing. In Jamais Vu, you have to take out all the guards who are Snatchers. At the end you have to fight an onslaught of Snatcher guards.

Ok, this sounds awesome, especially the quiz.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

One day I should really play MGS4. Or more realistically watch chip's lp.

You should absolutely do that, be sure to choose the videos with uncut commentary so they'll talk over all the cutscenes. It's amazing how they started with MGS3 and were basically gushing about the game the whole time and when they get to MGS4 they are mostly bored out of their minds. 4 has some very cool ideas but it really is the weakest of the series.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Cosmos posted:

Counting down the days till GZ comes out on PC. Anyone else here that hasn't played GZ yet and is waiting for the Steam release?

Same here. I also have this delusion that Konami will release HD Collection on Steam some time. And I feel stupid because I've seen the Zero Punctuation review lately and the guy spoiled pretty much all the twists in the game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I know. His point on MGS4 sexism was pretty funny and true, though. That game's such a loving mess.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Which of the MGS games is the easiest to 100%? MGS3?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I meant trophies. Didn't even think of the original. I've beaten it twice or thrice but don't know what ghost pictures are. And can you change your camo in MGS?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

That's a pretty good way to put it. Writing in MGS and MGS3 had a lot of cheese but it was really endearing whereas 2 and 4 just go on and on like a wiki page.

Re: female characters in MGS4: I don't remember anything about the four beauties apart from the fact that one could fly and one had Doctor Octopus tentacles and at the end they jumped out of their suit completely wet and posed for pictures. That's simply bad writing.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

So hey, Ground Zeroes on Steam is confirmed to be locked to 60fps. Konami also published the control schemes:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
December 18th

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 13, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ground Zeroes on PC looks pretty spectacular: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/100955

And here's the Kojima Station from which these comparisons were taken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2LhPD2LOs

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 20, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MGS4 will be available on PSN December 17th:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-03-for-the-first-time-metal-gear-solid-4-will-be-available-as-a-download
Game's a huge clusterfuck but it's cool to see it in digital form finally.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

I hope nobody holds their breath actually believing this is actually going to happen.

It is. From what we've seen so far MGSV follows the Peace Walker design - there'll be lots of missions you can take (on the fly even) but only a handful of them will move the story forward. The focus seems to be on the base building, too. Hope there'll be less vehicle fights this time but you can fulton pretty much everything in TPP.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

And the price is gonna be good ($15?) since 18th is the start of the Christmas Sale. They did the same thing last year with MGR. Can't wait.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'm at 60% in Ground Zeroes on PC. Just have to do the S-Ranks and unlock the trials on hard. Some stuff I noted:
- the chopper music seems to be botched. The game never remembers the song I chose and nothing plays during extraction. Not to mention you can't import your own tracks.
- everybody gushes about the graphics but MGSV has some really impressive audio design. There's the sound of wind in the microphone during running and stuff like the soldier's voice doubling with the radio chatter when he reports near you. Really good music, too. That Baez/Morricone track owns bones. I read somewhere that it was in PW, too, but don't remember it from there.
- is it a bug or are the binoculars equipped with directional mic?
- the animation is top notch for the most part but they really should do something about landing. Snake doesn't even stop after jumping from any height, he literally hits the ground running. Looks funny.
- gotta respect the way the game's being built. They were prepping the engine for a few years, now they're just adding content. That's the way to go. Ubisoft on the other hand is just slapping some glue and sticks onto their franchises on yearly basis and everybody's surprised they don't work so well.
- That said, I wonder if the Fox Engine really is complete because GZ shows its limitations at times. There's lots of pop-in which is understandable when you deal with this amount of detail in huge levels but it does gently caress with the gameplay sometimes. Like you'll see tranqed enemies fall on the ground after you look at them, this happens really often after loading the game. The patrol routes number is also limited. There's lots of times when I left guys sleeping in the open but no one found them because I was far away and the game didn't move the soldiers from the other side of the base. I think this will be changed a bit in TPP because they showed how the patrols change during the day/night cycle. Maybe the levels will be a bit smaller this time.
- LoD is a bit hosed, too. Like sometimes the game will decide that I can see the barrel next to the AA Gun but other times it disappears until I switch to the first person view.
- I must admit I did not see that Chico having forced sex with Paz tape coming. That was a brutal change of tone, especially after Peace Walker.
- rolling shouldn't even be in the game. It's really awkward to pull off and it's not that useful.
- gently caress the marking trial in that Blow Up The Air-Defence side-op. I spent two hours hunting for the last two guys.
- everybody's talking about Sutherland but why didn't they get Quinton Flynn for Raiden? I know there's only a handful of lines, but couldn't they just reuse some stuff from MGR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Kiggles posted:

You'll regret that one of these days. First, rolling is really easy. Just order of operations. Hold the aim button. Start moving left or right. THEN press the print button.

Second, when you get knocked on your rear end and your cover blown-up from a grenade, you'll be thankful you don't have to stand or slowly crawl to get behind the nearest cover.

Never had that kind of situation, really. I'm just camping at rooftops, very rarely shooting anyone with live ammunition. But thanks, will try it.

Oh, and one other thing. I know this game is basically a tech demo, but they really should disable the choking/gasping sounds on the soldiers when you interrogate them at gunpoint. It's really silly.

• Locked thread