Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm guessing Portable Ops is as close as you can get to discontinuity, since it got all of one line in Peace Walker and that was along the lines of "Let's forget that ever happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I don't want to live in a world where Metal Gear Acid isn't canon. PANSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psh, Solidus was president, that always ages you 20 years.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I always thought the idea was that he had to send someone in to rescue our Gray Fox and all that to keep up appearances, but he obviously didn't want that to really happen, so he sent a complete rookie. Whoops, that didn't work out well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

See, if he sends in Gimpy McGee everyone will catch on that he wasn't really trying to pull this operation off and

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The thermal goggles trivialize a lot of things in MGS3. The Fear fight is actually kind of tricky without them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Night vision goggles are in The Pain's cave. Kind of hard to find while it's still dark, but they make navigating that thing far less annoying.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The best one is if you killed a guard on the mountain, one of the vultures ate him and then you ate the vulture. "You ate me!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As far as I remember, they're all replaced by those hoverchair guys from earlier.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Stamina kills on bosses get you their dog tags, collecting every dog tag gets you a bonus item when the game is over.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Manhunt (the first one) is the other big one I think of when it comes to games that actively tried to make you be stealthy because the alternative sucked. That was also a pretty underrated game in general. It got that Arkham Asylum feel of "There's a group of big bad tough guys, but they'll break down soon enough once I start picking them off" down way before Arkham Asylum was thought of.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Rose is pretty much the worst thing ever, yes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dr Solway Garr posted:

I think you're also literally missing a big chunk of the game in that if you select "I have not played MGS1" at the start, it skips the whole tanker mission.

This is also the only way it really makes sense that they give you a big tutorial on how to play the game after you've already been playing for a couple of hours.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"Your room is as empty as your heart!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"drat it Pliskin, your wandering in and getting your rear end kicked all over the place by Vamp ruined everything!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Er, you got the great big plot dump cutscene from Stillman prior to that, right?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

She has two channels, one for saving and one for talking. I think. Or maybe she just pops in on the Colonel's channel.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Actually yeah, it was Paramedic who had a save channel and her own channel.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Eh, it was a lazy copout. One of the more fun things about MGS2 was how everyone was like "What in the name of hell is that" around Vamp.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I really never got why people made such a stink about a vampire running around when you already had Mantis being Mantis.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Meryl is alive, but the only reference to her in this game is a throwaway line on the Tanker.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, later on Ocelot outright calls it a 'recreation', which seems more accurate.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I like how it's so convoluted that at the very end Snake just kind of goes "Yeah, make up your own mind, whatever."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was also in the KGB for a while, apparently with Vulcan Raven.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm not sure if you've played MGS3 yet, so spoilers.

Philosphers were the group Volgin keeps going on about, a loose collection of the US, Russia and China who pooled all their money to take over the world, or...something. Then Volgin's daddy swipes all the money (the location of it was the Legacy chip Macguffin everyone was after), Ocelot winds up with it, and the loose group eventually evolves into the Patriots

I think I got that right.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It looks like she morphed into Alfred Ashford.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

From what I remember it's really hard to actually get that conversation, as you have to be before a specific point in The Pain's cave and once you're past it you can't get it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You should also play Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2, because the stories are crazy in ways that would make MGS2 cry. Ghost Babel is also pretty neat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It was Otacon in MGS2. One of his bungled Mei-ling proverbs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It is kind of fun how every last one of the MGS3 support team (and Big Boss) managed to come down with a bad case of the crazies.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

MGS3 Online was so great. I never stopped laughing at how hiding in a cardboard box actually worked on other people. They just never stopped to check those things.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Christ Chico, make up your mind.

"I want to die!"

*Soldiers attack*

"Don't let me die!*

*Accidentally blow him up*

"I want to die!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's easier to drop Emma off someplace out of the way (like that dark room with the guns. Don't leave her by the elevator like I did, more people come in that way), take out the enemies and then come back for her.

Coincidentally this is also how I'm going through Ground Zeros, for the most part.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Stage 4 - Try not to crack up at Cam Clarke's "IIIIIIIIIII SEE YOU!" and die.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You also get one of the rare moments of the Colonel (regular Colonel, not Crazy Colonel) actually being funny.

Colonel: Well this is a wet op.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So I finished the standard Ground Zeros mission. Well, that was...dark.

I mean, Paz was kind of a shithead, but "Rip her intestines out, put a bomb up her hoohaa and shove her out of a helicopter" was mean.

It was also short enough to accurately be called a $20 demo, but the side missions are fun.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh yeah, I think my favorite moment in this was jumping into the tank at the Admin building and just kind of idly driving back and forth while no one noticed. "Nothing to report!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Gas mines and Fulton balloons. Set gas mines in the path of the vehicle, when the other guys have gotten far enough ahead to not notice you, run up and get rid of the guys who are napping. Repeat until they run out of guys. You can also use the tranq gun in lieu of mines, but it'll take longer.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think it depends on the difficulty of the mission. On some of the later ones those eagle eyed bastards were spotting me from a mile off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Remember the basics of CQC; Put the other guy's face three feet into the nearest wall.

• Locked thread