Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

What's the point of stealth if you cannot die with rations equipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Isn't the main idea about the regenerating health is that you have realitevly small health and you need to... you know... HIDE?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress you games for being user friendly.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not sure what is oh so wrong with his perfomance here... he sounded perfect to me.

The only problem with "kept you waiting huh" was that it wasn't Hayter who said it. That's it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

And I can still repeat equiping rations, soliton radar and slow reaction time from guards...

Not sure what's wrong with removing alert counter, sounds like the opposite of streamlining.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The MSX games never mention that Snake knows he is a clone/son of Big Boss, it was just told to us in MGS.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

! is still in.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I dunno, I thought Major Zero being the head of the Patriots was kinda cool, but executed horribly. Especially how it worked with Sigint, even Paramedic shows some interest in genetics in MGS3.

It would've been better if in POOPS or Peace Walker we would meet these people and they would explain why they are doing this in their own words.

I also kinda expected Ocelot to call Zero instead of some random director at the CIA for foreshadowing...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Funny thing about Love Deterrence is that it was the song that broke the ice and made me Marathon trough the MGS games (at least the ones I could play).
I was always curious about the series, hearing all manner of crazy things about it and whatnot, then I heard Love Deterrence in some video. When I learned it is in fact from Metal Gear Solid I was so stunned I had to see the context. But I can't just start in the middle, I was always confused what the hell was going on, even in MGS1 I had no idea what they were talking about.
Actually playing trough the games from the beginning didn't help me understand it better, it made me got used to the overall confusion. By the time I got to Peace Walker it was just natural.

And to add to the ongoing converstation my favourites were always the sneaking musics.

MGS3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38OrYAAYISk

MGS2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNSJGPl8X4

And of course the classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dShYD9LU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Now to play MGS2 PC to celebrate :dance:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They could do the same thing like in MGS4 with "David Hayter as Solid Snake" in the end credits then something silly happens.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So was this thing mentioned here beofore or...

If not, here's the japanese audio drama about the famous Snake vs Kaz naked fistfight

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ShineDog posted:

After Paz' underwear creepshot I'm not really giving Kojima the benefit of the doubt on these things.

Excuse me, but that's clearly swimwear.

gannyGrabber posted:

But... What do you all think of the way Quiet's treated?

Well she is mute, that's instant +1000 sexism points

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

But there's no way to take down your pants, that's crazy talk.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Can't wait to learn how this customisable control scheme will be the same like it was in the MGS1 and 2 port.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

He also needs to act evil, not sure how that would've worked out...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's just nothing in MGS3 that establishes (or even hints at) any of your support team turning into the corrupt characters MGS4 says they are. It was one of the crowning moments of bad writing in MGS4 to try and awkwardly force more continuity between all the games.

I'm actually one of the few people who likes them being the Patriots, for no other reason than making them relevant beyond being the 60s version of the support staff.

It is obviously retconned, but there are some hints though. Sigint working at ARPA, becoming the DARPA chief and recognising Ocelot as a member of the Patriots.
As for Para-Medic I always laugh because the last time I've read a complaint about this and played the game, the first codec call I got from her was "Hey Snake, ever heard of genes? It would be so cool if we would clone you, not that I EVER would do something like that". As for the Gray Fox thing, I blame the movies.

blackguy32 posted:

Portable Ops was pretty much made to show how Zero wasn't the nice guy that they let on.

That was pretty forced though.

It would've been better if at the end of MGS3 Ocelot would talk to Zero instead of the nameless CIA chief.
At least Poops deals with him.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 9, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hopefully we get some explanation for why Zero liked the Boss so much, but we might as well expect the worst and be prepared when they say that one part of POOPS is canon and it was Zero who told Volgin to shoot the nuke.

There's one thing I don't get about the whole "last MGS game" saying: If he really wanted it to be the last, then why not make a proper ending?
I mean, when Vamp is alive, Liquid-Ocelot escapes, we learn that a grand conspiracy is still around and the crucial information about this grand conspiracy is actually fake, how can we expect nothing built on to this? MGS3 only tells us the story of Big Boss, but it's not that relevant in the grand scheme.
MGS4 had a proper ending (it even cuts loose threads that did not exist before) and building anything on to it that's not Rising would be forcing it.

Oh and Big Boss was always cooler than Solid Snake :colbert:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Thinky Whale posted:

Wait, what? Nothing about retconning Zero into the bad guy has ever been anything but weirdly forced, but that makes even less sense. He super admired the Boss (setting aside that not making a whole lot of sense either) so he intentionally started the events that would have her dying as a traitor?

Besides, I always liked in a series full of elaborately orchestrated plots, the thing that sets off the whole series is just a crazy dude doing something crazy because he feels like it.

To be fair, PoOps never actually downright said that it was Zero, but it was stupid anyway. If we can ignore Null, then we can ignore this.

Honestly, the only good thing in PoOps story was the beginning and the end... and the part where Big Boss says "I won't be used like the Boss" I guess.

blackguy32 posted:

Hot Coldman was the one who planned for The Boss to die.

Huh, I missed that.
I'm pretty sure when PoOps was written they meant Zero though.

... or the nameless CIA chief.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Kojima is a monkey with a typewriter and there are bits of Shakespeare in the mess he writes. The fun part is finding the good things in the vast sea of stupid.
That and the presentation is excellent. From what I've learned looking at the fandom of many different games, it's easy to forgive a really bad story if it's pretty enough.

MrLonghair posted:

PC GZ footage was played live. PC options:

e: That was short. Spotlights panning in the distance, mouse and keyboard-play demonstrated by using it for a 40 meter snapshot headshot.

So how does the mouse controls work, is it like PC FPS games, or is it like the MGS2 PC/Emulator where the mouse tries to emulate the Analogue stick.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Phantom Pain will be so dark and serious you guys.

Remember that puppy? He's only there so you can MURDER HIM IN COLD BLOOD!
Cardboard boxes with pictures on it? Fultoning goats? Using horsepoop to destroy vehicles?
This is all a ruse, the game will be too dark for silliness like this.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Momomo posted:

Having stuff like the dog doesn't make it any less dark when we're supposedly going to have stuff about child soldiers and racial tension. I see the game being tonally confused and it'll make it uncomfortable to think much about.

Welcome to Metal Gear

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

* Emulate the PS2 version. The main drawback here is that I don't have a controller that supports the pressure-sensitive face buttons, and I don't know if the game is playable without them

Pressure sensitivity can be emulated with keyboard by using different buttons for different sensitivity levels.

Bigger problem with MGS3 is that the game uses some weird post-processing that emulators cannot handle normally, I needed to find a special build for this otherwise the game halts at the first codec screen.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh boy we are back to this talk again...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If TPP won't have dynamic toilet usage for enemy soldiers I'll be greatly disappointed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Oh really? That sounds interesting.

EDIT: Is there any information on the main auxiliary feature of Phantom Pain?
Like Snake Eater had the whole survival thing with snake eating, hunting and field surgery while Peace Walker had the base building and R&D stuff.

From what we saw there will be base building but not sure on the specifics. What we know is that you can still steal people but also vehicles, gun placements, resources, goats, puppy dogs for your base. There are also multiplayer missions where you can invade other people's base and steal their stuff or something similar.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm still hoping for at least one "kept you waiting huh" at the post-credits scene from Hayter.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Am I delusional for holding onto hope that TPP will let us run around with access to more than just a standard rifle, side arm, and special weapon at once?

Because it would be awesome if the weapon system operated like the older MGS games. A gigantic inventory, accessible from anywhere, and a handful of quick slots you can sign and select from on the fly.

Nah, it will be like in Peace walker where you decide your equipment before the mission.

We might get more specific support from mother base so we could change gear mid mission, maybe

Davoren posted:

So there's something I've been wondering about the original Metal Gear, Snakes mission is to take down outer heaven right? If that's big boss' operation, why is he acting as snakes support to begin with?

He is sending him to an ambush, tells him to abort the mission, sends him to the wrong truck, and "forgets to tell you" about gas chambers and electric floors.

The real answer is that this was baby Kojima's first big plot twist.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 22, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Shoehead posted:

After re-reading the plot of Metal Gear I really hope we get to see Dirty Duck and the Egg Plant in PP.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

The Shotgun in Ground Zeros is loving sick. That is all

The story of Shoot-gunner

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Can't wait to see videos with Snake killing children while naked and wearing a chicken head.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There's one thing I've learned about Metal Gear when I marathoned it through a year or two ago: You don't get Metal Gear, you get used to it.

And yes, if you want to play through all of them go by release date mostly due to gameplay reasons. Heck, screw the HD release, start with the MSX games, the story is not complete without learning about Big Boss's poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

One thing about emulating Peace Walker:
If you use PPSSPP, use one of the newer builds after you get the most stable version, otherwise you'll get one of the most dickish emulating bugs I've ever seen when fighting Peace Walker.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You can't say this and not explain what happens, emulator bugs are my favorite thing about them :allears:

Ok, you know the final battle against Peace Walker, where she constantly tries to shoot the nuke?

Well the bug is when you get her health below 2-3 bars, for some reason she gets invulnerable and the damage is not registered. Now at the same time this is the point where she tries to launch a nuke, so you just wham on her constantly but the countdown keeps ticking.
I honestly thought this was some manner of copy-protection.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I really want to see Kojima's reaction to these mods in the next Kojima station.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Aurain posted:

Worse soundtrack

Get out, the sheer fact that we have more than 4 songs makes TS's music much better.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ApexAftermath posted:

I think I could probably take the new music if they had kept the original VOs and not gone insane with the bullet time crap.

But... they did...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

So disappointed in so many people in this thread. :colbert:

Kiefer is a joke, a washed up terrible actor. I can't listen to snake without hearing a stupid timer ticking down in the background as he gets even more of his family killed.

Hayter owned, he was cheesy and it was awesome, specifically because MGS is all about being cheesy and awesome.

Kiefer doesn't even sound anything like him, he sounds waaaaay more like he's faking it than Hayter ever did.

Grow up

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Can't wait for Sutherland to say the lines: "diarrhea", "meow meow meow", "you've got a great butt"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Guys, it's obvious.
He's Decoy Octopus, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's cute that you guys think there will be a FOX engine remake of the MSX games.

They will come out right after the MGS4 engine remake of every Metal Gear ever.

Rookoo posted:

It's possible I may have finally gone insane waiting for the game to come out.

BB has a right eye, he just cannot see with it.

Petals are there because the ghost of The Boss or something

• Locked thread