Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

He thinks it might be 'a little behind compared to games made exclusively for next-gen', though if what we've seen in the trailers is his idea of 'a little behind', then I'm reassured.

There have already been complaints about the graphics not being pretty and "next-gen" enough :downs:

New gameplay demo, this time taking place in a daytime mission

I don't know Japanese so I'm going to assume they were playing at the absolutely easiest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's good to see that Kojipro is making sure the English version retains the same quality of the original Metal Gear Solid dub, for a moment I was worried we might have had good VA this time around.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Spalec posted:

It's probably just we're all used to hearing David Hayters increasingly ridiculous growl. After an hour of gameplay I'm sure he'll be fine.

David Hayter's growl can be pretty terrible, especially post-MGS2, but Sutherland sounded really disinterested throughout this new trailer, and he botched the "Kept you waiting, huh?" line pretty badly. Weirdly enough, he had actually managed to nail the previous trailers.

EDIT: Skullface is the worst though. Had to be an intern.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Actually I always expected Skullface's english voice to sound like a Fallout ghoul.

Only if it's Dean Domino.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Chickenfrogman posted:

Kiefer sounded fine outside of the "kept you waiting, huh?" which sounded incredibly weird.

keptyouwaitingHUH?!!?

I really wonder why that line wasn't re-recorded and what prompted Sutherland (not my favorite actor, but not exactly a bad one either) to deliver it that way. It almost sounded like he was being pressed for time, or trying to match the lips movement.. except the facial capture is based on his acting performance :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Now where does Senator Armstrong figure in to this?

Metal Gear Rising 2 will be the poignant story of how Senator Armstrong developed his stance on war through the teachings of his football coach.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

The real survival game. We need to make sure nobody actually teaches Kojima english.

The English tweets are actually handled by a translator, as far as I know. :downs:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Aurain posted:

Apparently, over on NeoGAF it has been confirmed that the EU versions of Ground Zeroes don't have the Shinkawa reversible cover :(

That's really disappointing, Shinkawa's art is the best thing about the whole Metal Gear series.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Can someone give me a rundown of the new health system and how it works in practice in the game? I've watched a playthrough, but the guy was simply too good and never got hurt in the first place :( (which is pretty rare for Let's Plays, now that I think about it).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

fivegears4reverse seems to genuinely not enjoy metal gears story or the way Kojima writes, so why keep consuming more of the same?

Might be he enjoys the game parts or enjoys the stories despite the flaws? Besides, that's kind of a lovely way to deflect criticism, dude.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
My eyes also look different colors depending on the lighting. I assure you, I'm not actually Decoy Octopus. Then again, I'm not part of a Kojima-written-and-directed videogame :v:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you've already played the other games, then, uh, do whatever you want? I mean, Metal Gear Rising is an action game that plays in the same fiction as Metal Gear Solid, but besides that, I'm not sure it actually fits in any particular slot if you're doing a "whole series playthrough" or anything of that ilk.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Speedball posted:

Typos will be the death of us all.

There were a bunch in the original too (it's =/= its nghtnghnthgloaksmdlak) but none as funny as that one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What point have you reached? Parrying is *the* fundamental fighting mechanic of the game, and I really would suggest you to try and practice it on mooks until you get the hang of it. You absolutely don't need to stand still to pull it off though!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

it feels more like a fighting game.

Well, it *is* an action game and they've always been rather open about that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It was a cool trailer, but it further confirms that they're taking Metal Gear into even deeper grimdark territories, welp.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dexo posted:

To be fair, haven't almost all of the MGS trailers been serious and grimdark before launch.

Not to the point of putting child soldiers and knife fights in their trailers, I don't think. Granted, my memory is fuzzy (I'll check the old trailers later), but if I recall correctly how they were presented before release, Metal Gear Solid 2 was all about Snake escaping from the Tanker and replacing Raiden on Big Shell, with the snippets of cutscenes shown being less blood diamond-y and more pulp spy stuff, and Metal Gear Solid 3 was all about showing off the jungle and the 60s vibe. Metal Gear Solid 4 might have been grimdark, though I can't help but remember the Raiden trying to assassinate Snake to become the protagonist stuff.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That's weirder than anything I've ever seen in a Metal Gear game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Joe Gillian posted:

One of the noticeable differences between videos is that the part where he drops the crate on the dude seems to be missing entirely from the higher quality playthrough.

That's not true?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Footage from the secret "Classic Dub" mode.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Aurain posted:

I suspect this may be fake

A FAKE?!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

People should announcing fan remakes before they're done, otherwise they're just begging for a C/D letter

If you're trying to recruit it's pretty necessary to announce what you're doing, otherwise you'll get 0 buzz and interest. That said, these projects are always a bad idea, 9 times out of 10 (statistics coming from my fat arse) they get C&Ds, and that one project that doesn't will not be completed anyway because coordinating projects on that kind of scale is really difficult, especially if you don't have the experience.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Dominic White posted:

Yep, they had official written authorization from Konami.

Are you sure they had actual written authorization? From what I read on Eurogamer (I think?) the agreement was purely verbal, which means it probably was no agreement at all and Konami, as a company, had yet to give its official opinion on the matter.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
When people complain that next-gen didn't do anything to advance videogames I'll just point them to the advanced dog rendering it allowed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Did you guys already discussed the English version of this video to death? Because I kinda dig Sutherland's performance here, even though I have difficulties associating his voice with super-goofy Hideo Kojima character BIG BOSS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94LZ1a-3To

P.S. : D.D. rocks as a puppy name.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
People in the Year of Our Lord 2014 still watch Zero Punctuation? That's surprising.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Subyng posted:

how about a spin-off where you play as liquid :shrug:

Only if they make Liquid shouting "BROTHEEEEER" an action that is mapped on the controller and let me spam it during gameplay and cutscenes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

Basically re-enact this video but with Sutherland and Hayter. GOTY.

I.... what is that supposed to be?! :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Im trying to download the demo to see how the controls are

Don't bother if you don't have a Circle Pad Pro. The normal 3ds controls are really, really bad.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

non-Ironside Fisher threatens his whole crew and a couple times the president of the united states because he doesn't get what he wants (but AMERICA'S at stake, man, so it's fine to threaten the president's family!!).

What the :psyduck:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Nanomachines don't exist at this level.

That's what Decoy Octopus would want society to think. :tinfoil:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Spalec posted:

I'm pretty sure you could create an entire blog around screenshots of butts in Metal Gear games.

First butt should have been Snake's. I'm offended by the fact it wasn't.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

This thread in a nutshell:

(someone brings up Quiet)

Whose footprints are these?

(someone brings up Twin Snakes)

What was that noise?

(someone brings up Quiet)

Whose footprints are these?

(someone brings up Twin Snakes)

What was that noise?

repeat ad nauseum

That's what Decoy Octopus would say. Are you Decoy Octopus?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dunno about books, but IGN has a decent video where he lists his 5 favorite movies and explains why they are his favorites.

Surprise! Kojima actually has really good taste.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Kaz calls him Snake during Ground Zeroes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Is there anything official outside of that beautiful jpeg?

I mean, I loving want Rising 2. So bad.

It's from the Taipei Game Show. Only that "2" unfortunately, no announcements or anything.

I'm still super excited.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IGN Italy apparently leaked the release date: September 1st.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Damo posted:

But if that doesn't happen -- I shouldn't have any issues playing the UK version on my USA system, right? Am I right in the fact that the only real difference between UK/USA versions of TPP Collector's will be the PEGI rating vs ESRB on the box?

I don't remember if the Collector's includes DLC, but if it does, you might only be able to redeem the codes on the UK SEN store.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I'm waiting for people to start unironically going "No... it's all got to be a big conspiracy by Kojima... Silent Hills CAN'T be canceled, it's just a trick!"

Waiting? They already did it on NeoGAF man. Some people will stand in front of the corpse of Hideo Kojima, in the year 20XX, and still shout "What an epic troll! Best ruse ever! :smuggo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope/think Del Toro, Kojima, and Reedus have enough star power combined to collaborate on something else. I mean I really liked Silent Hill 2 but the series really isn't the most creative thing out there.

In the same audio recording, Del Toro basically goes on to say that now his focus is 100% directing. The man has been burned twice while attempting to work on videogames, so I can't really blame him.

• Locked thread