Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Physical and Digital are priced the same in Japan, so I think GZ is indeed right as a $20 RRP product. Hurts to pay twice for a current-generation physical version (and my PS3 is pretty dead).

Since it's MGS it's going to have replay-value better than the last tens of AAA titles I played but :ohdear:

e: Four hours for the first lap through, for $20 to $40, is a good deal anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I don't dig that we're forced to pay $10 extra for current-generation versions compared to Japan the most. gently caress that.

Infamous Second Son back on the shopping list.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Are you addressing anyone in particular?

The internal dialogue of all of us.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Main mission speedrunning in that little time makes it sound like running straight to the targets, freeing them, then calling in and getting in the helicopter. There's a lot of island and environment.

(Technically a lesser looking Xbox One version was inevitable, you need to make sacrifices to hit 1080p and even more to reach 1080p60 due to the esRAM being 8 megs too small to make it not a nightmare, to put it in laymannish terms. It's unfortunate.)

Dear Konami, lay off him and let him do other high-budget titles than ones with Metal Gear in the name. All those IPs they have.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Metal Pro Evolution Gear Solidoccer.

A sports action game by Hideo Kojima.

They've got PES, SNK's got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBss550AjEI
I'd like to see it done. Cybernetic soldiers out on another battlefield.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

quote:

The Deja Vu mission changes Camp Omega into a landscape reminiscent of Shadow Moses, including the music, lighting and even Miller doing impersonations over the CODEC. Beating it will unlock the polygonal Solid Snake skin.

I'm okay with this.

quote:

As stated before, progress made in Ground Zeroes is transferred to The Phantom Pain, giving people who played the prologue a ‘clear advantage’.

I'm going to have to buy this.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Being a Euro I'll import GZ physical PS4 from across the Atlantic because videogamesplus wants €26 for that, or £22 (a fiver for shipping). Far less painful of a price to pay. I'll handle the wait because Second Son.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 6, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I would pay good money for Hayter VO DLC, man.

If Hayter could de-salt and do that, that would be genius.

Seemlar posted:

The Gaming Informer guys who wrote the big piece on GZ/TPP put up a video talking about their impressions of Ground Zeroes - http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/06/exclusive-playthrough-impressions-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes.aspx

On one hand, it's like the MGS2 demo that came with ZOE. On the other hand, it's cheaper and doesn't come with ZOE. People need to watch this video.

e: They talk of the ending very loosely after the horse bits, be aware.
e: They also say focus on the game (they played it after all) rather than the price.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 7, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Reminder that current-gen and past-gen versions of this cost the same in Japan, but that the rest of the world gets boned for no good reason :smith:
(drat lot of people being done with a game after they finish it and get all the trophies/achievements in here, at least there are no Hayterfangirls)

Scyron posted:

Fulton Recovery system confirmed!

It's in Phantom Pain.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The people at the pretty big media event for GZ going on right now haven't paid squat, but they're saying real nice things. Kojima's retweeting on his Japanese account mainly at the moment: https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

And from a Famitsu interview, the "map" of TPP is 200 times larger than GZ, with the hope that the concentrated gameplay of GZ will tide people over until TPP.

The GZ island is pretty loving huge as it is.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 13, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah - TPP is set in that big desert environment, and while I have no doubt there will be an absolute shitload to do, a lot of that space will likely by empty, open land.

Of course, open land can be nice in and of itself, conveying the proper atmosphere.

At least four separate huge environments, it's nothing like an Elder Scrolls game which people got to expect.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder if they'll litter the empty land with collectibles and secrets.

Bug collecting; Lift rocks, pebbles.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The PS4 and Xbone prices were the ones that got lowered, you living-in-the-past person :colbert:

And about time they realized it was stupid. Same price no matter the console in Japan, only more expensive if you want to go physical.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

From GI's post-Kojima interview podcast it's about Hayter being unable to act his lines out well enough for the motion-capture to work, and it's a helluva detailed motion capture form.

blackguy32 posted:

Snakes Revenge also has that bad rear end jungle music at the beginning.

I thought of this kind of jungle music and had to refresh my memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKjNOcjDXY

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Bought MGS3 for the Vita, because I never actually played that one. People seriously wanted more of that quality Snake voice-acting?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Are there any US-accessible limited editions of GZ bundled with extra poo poo like action figures and eye patches that I don't need but I will be excited about for 20 minutes when they show up?

Japanese pre-order regular comes with the reversible cover with beautiful Shinkawa art and a cassette tape box that flips to become a holder for whatever tiny device you use for iDroid.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

You get Peacewalker HD (for PS3) if you pre-order the PS3 digital over PSN. Not too shabby.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

That's certainly not how it looked in the gameplay trailer.

Here CQC-ing a guy seems to fully restore Snake, and when confronting the APC later he also fully regenerates health. Either this was a special demo, or they've changed it, or it's a matter of difficulty setting, or these count as minor wounds, or GI was wrong, or something.

That's an ancient build made for last September's Tokyo Game Show.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I'm okay with sitting out Dark Souls 2 until April 25th but drat if Sony's Scandinavian arm cannot get me a healthy PS4 before GZ :argh:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

acksplode posted:

First impressions from watching the live stream:

Carrying each person individually to an extraction point is a miserable way to farm recruits compared to PW's fulton recovery. Is fulton reserved for PP or something?

I can confirm that, yes. Story-reasons we'll have to figure out.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Get all XOF tags to unlock the platform-exclusive mission, confirm/deny?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

GZ is only 4GB on PS4 :stare:

Eat poo poo 49.9 gigabyte Titanfall PC install.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Kojima wants to take it into the serious business route (so probably no Johnny Sr.) and then there's the face-acting required mocap setup, so Hayter won't happen unless he becomes one of the few easter-eggs promised to exist in one form or another, which is doubtful with the amount of salt extracted from him.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

Personally, because I only have a PC and am not likely to get this for a long while, if at all, so I don't care about spoilers, but was that rumor mentioned earlier about Hayter voicing someone credited as an 'Unknown Soldier' a hoax or true?

It was 4chan

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Decent motherbase minigame, but it makes my Galaxy S3 feel small. I gotta get a tablet. Fast-paced, fast-forward time is earned in realtime so consider it a metal gear tamagotchi.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 18, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Took 174 minutes of having a great time until I got the main mission over with, that's the kind of MGS player I am. 9% completion from that.

I actually liked these 60fps cutscenes, as for the ending: CSI quickly got gorier than that, not to mention films. People on other forums are loving special.. The wait is going to be long.

iDroid makes me want to get the cheapest 10" tablet required to run it, for the sake of TPP.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

dog nougat posted:

The companion app is really a great addition. You probably don't need a 10" tablet unless you're blind. I'm running it on a Nexus 7 and it's perfectly legible. I can also run it on my phone a Galaxy S3, but the text is a bit les legible, however it's still incredibly convenient being able to run around and fiddle about in the idroid simultaneously.

I mainly want a higher than what the cheap small units carry resolution.

The GZ Android/iOS app minigame of Mother Base benefits nicely from playing GZ. You can build freaking Gekko in AFV factories!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh man it benefits from playing GZ? That's amazing!

Big thing is that it unlocks the five hour speed-up timer and makes it seemingly infinite, it also adds a good charge of hours. The Gekko seem to automatically drop into the build list of any AFV factory you have, 120 unit cost. Just a question of time until maximizing everything then making sure the save data stays safe, it's going to add something for TPP.

It was worth the pain it was to get PS4 and phone to play nice with the cheap wifi router I have. Maybe a 7" tablet could do a good job at future titles takes on this after all, was disappointed to find my VITA couldn't do anything but do glorious beautiful OLED remote play.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

As an audio person I'd like to have a talk with the voice director. Rarely felt like the "presence" of the voices fit, I get where Sutherland was heading to by direction and his own acting and I prefer it over Hayter (and he surely improves and gets more "right" in TPP, acceptable as it is), but I miss how I enjoyed the non-Snake voices in previous games. Chico was great, Kaz is god, MGS3 had some bits that felt off in performance of lines but overall I was a huge fan. Skull Face sounds too acted up, unless it was directed that way because he's a nutcase. (No idea how the Japanese Skull Face sounds like. Surely as unreal as the English one, with how voice acting works there. That would explain it.)

Running 1080p60 (never saw a framedrop) is the most current-gen thing about the graphics, but I'm sure the engine will mature and take better advantage of the hardware for TPP with larger visual resources too (and 1080p60 for the Xbone with how SDKs always improve and how new tricks are figured out for performance). Absolutely loving what I'm seeing and playing and the replay-value delivers.

Just miss some things from previous games. I'm okay with dropping some of the classic-MGS non-realistic things since Kojima's taking the serious-business route, but at least keep knocking and tapping on things to get the attention of guards. Lemme snap a twig.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 21, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Only an SMG and a (weak-feeling) assault rifle, at least so far. I gotta keep getting rewards and find out what remains.

Not having a minimap adds to the difficulty with guards, and the need for tagging. Having such a tight third person camera is huge too, combined with their good eyes it's nothing like previous games, I get cases of "oh come ooooon" but I figure it'll get tweaked in time for TPP. Lemme hit something to make him snap his head rather than wait for the slow analogue turn.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

There's no way to set audio to Headphones mode and that ticks me with how off footsteps often feels in direction and distance. I expect better on that front.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I also see shadows do goofy things behind detail like a line of tubes on a wall (looks ugly an unpolished when it happens), there are some cases where texture filtering plays up, but at least I have never ever managed to see a drop in framerate.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The English Skull Face is comparable in style to the Japanese version, but the Japanese Chico totally sounds like an anime version of him would. Really prefer the English voices, like Kaz. Japanese Kaz has a voice for a character beyond his position in the game, could instead be a bossy cool main character.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 23, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The cassette tapes make for very uncomfortable listening, but I wonder if the people crying about the rape have read a book, watched TV, film, looked at what happens in the city they live in? Are games supposed to be a sacred bastion of killing people any way desired and living a wild criminal life but god forbid there's even the mention of rape? Because that's the impression I get from so many people going on about GZ. Also seen this in GTA5 with how two female characters were initially portrayed as being bad people, when the interesting good female characters were forgotten and one female character introduced as bad actually had a good grip on her life and tried to set things straght and make life better for those around her. Also see how down people got over the fact that a huge breasted woman likes to wear a muffin top corset in Dragons Dogma despite it really not suiting her, that's something that happens in real life also and those naturally insanely-endowed women get hate there too.

If the content and not just the optional tapes in GZ got to you, you might want to reconsider your plans of ever getting TPP, with what Kojima's been hinting about in interviews since the very first introduction.

Now for more important business, how do I replicate this?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

One day I hope to be of high enough skill to not need Reflex Mode in this. Jesus.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Konami started a little Twitter campaign for goofy GZ screenshots: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23%E3%82%B3%E3%82%B8%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86_%E6%BD%9C%E5%85%A5%E5%86%99%E7%9C%9F&src=hash&mode=photos

Worth browsing, there's some gold.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Mmm that's a delicious rear end trailer.

https://mega.co.nz/#!5Aki0J6D!7pxpMB9WzTzfQ5gD_AstHziP4NZRaCooCxb67EG56Io if you want a download on Mega, 30fps

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"I once carried your sorrow to the heartless sea"? What?

"I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I'll always be with you"

Speaking of his dead troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

If they handle the writing right, we're going to turn to the dark side together with Big Boss over the course of the game, instead of feeling forced to play a character taking an unpleasant turn and the whole world telling him he's going a bad way. Please please please get deep on the psychological.

Feels indeed like the horn got adjusted for this, retconned ahead of release to be more of a clear horn.

e: I could see it being very carefully shaved down after the crash but there he is with the new hand and a clear horn

net cafe scandal posted:

The horn is visibly longer when he's soaked with blood, but not anywhere else. Probably some symbolism there

and oh poo poo

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 9, 2014

• Locked thread