Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sadly, I haven't seen any good guides to making a Fate game posted anywhere.

The best advice I can give is to look at the Fate System Toolkit and look at the example subsystems in there. You may be able to reuse one or two of the magic ones wholesale, for example.

But if you're trying to get satisfying FF14-ish mechanics out of Fate Core, you're going to have to put in the work to come up with subsystems for multiple jobs, there isn't really a way around that.

e; a good starting point would be to turn the classes (e.g. MRD/GLD/THM/etc., not the jobs) into packages of specific skills and stunts which the players choose 2-3 of.

You could probably repurpose or hack several of the existing System Toolkit magic systems for BLM/SMN but you'd still need to make something up entirely from scratch for the non-magical jobs, not to mention Fate doesn't do combat healing at all.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I was reading an article about adding a discover action and at the end it also suggests just rolling attack and overcome into one action. I've never played before but that seems like an elegant idea and I wonder why the two weren't originally integrated? It also mentions something about how it would stop an arms race to +10, is there any way you can get an attack bonus up to +10 but not an overcome bonus?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sadly, I haven't seen any good guides to making a Fate game posted anywhere.

The best advice I can give is to look at the Fate System Toolkit and look at the example subsystems in there. You may be able to reuse one or two of the magic ones wholesale, for example.

But if you're trying to get satisfying FF14-ish mechanics out of Fate Core, you're going to have to put in the work to come up with subsystems for multiple jobs, there isn't really a way around that.

e; a good starting point would be to turn the classes (e.g. MRD/GLD/THM/etc., not the jobs) into packages of specific skills and stunts which the players choose 2-3 of.

You could probably repurpose or hack several of the existing System Toolkit magic systems for BLM/SMN but you'd still need to make something up entirely from scratch for the non-magical jobs, not to mention Fate doesn't do combat healing at all.

I actually think I have handled that decently. I gave each class a package which has a set of regular skills and then gets its own unique skill named after itself (Marauder for example gets Provoke, Physique and Marauder). Then the class name skill gets its own uses (using Marauder again, it gets an Overcome, Attack and Defend use, but no Create Advantage). We are only using the classes that launched with 2.0 for now as we work towards nailing the feel of the game. I also did this for Disciple of the Hand and Disciple of the Land, and then each player picks one of from each category of DoW/DoM, DoH, DoL. So you might pick something like Archer/Botanist/Carpenter. Then you rate those as your Good, Fair and Average Class and do the usual Atomic Robo style of rating things up if you have skill overlaps. Each class also gets a class aspect that is picked from the "starting story" thing from Fate Core.

The place where I feel like its not coming together super well is missions/leves. I'm not sure how to bring that together to guide the players towards doing cool poo poo and I also still have no real idea how the gently caress I should be handling equipment, which I think is a pretty important part of the FF universe in general.

I'll definitely take a look at the System Toolkit though, thanks for the link!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Apocron posted:

I was reading an article about adding a discover action and at the end it also suggests just rolling attack and overcome into one action. I've never played before but that seems like an elegant idea and I wonder why the two weren't originally integrated? It also mentions something about how it would stop an arms race to +10, is there any way you can get an attack bonus up to +10 but not an overcome bonus?

I think it's more that the proposed tweak to Overcome doesn't incentivize slamming someone with too many shifts to soak. Since you reach the damage cap by Succeeding With Style, you don't need to go through the same amount of accruing free invokes.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Til Dawn, the book about playing competing DJs in the future, came out a couple days ago. This is one that I've been looking forward to for a while and I like the finished product a lot. There's explicitly no physical conflict, and relationships with other players get more of a mechanical focus that plays into the new DJ battle system.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
How about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay adaptation where your career and race give you your base skills at +1 then you use milestones as advances to improve to +2 and when you’ve bought all your advances you can move to a new career and begin buying advances up to +3 and so on? I kind of like the idea but I wonder if it’s two low powered for Fate only starting with a bunch of +1s. Though I imagine you’d still be stronger than a starting Warhammer character.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

TaintedBalance posted:

The place where I feel like its not coming together super well is missions/leves. I'm not sure how to bring that together to guide the players towards doing cool poo poo and I also still have no real idea how the gently caress I should be handling equipment, which I think is a pretty important part of the FF universe in general.

Equipment super doesn't matter in FF. Like yes, it matters for players but that's because we need a sense of progression. Characters unbounded from mechanics keep using basic-rear end weapons in all the FFs I can think of. 'Gets a new weapon' is supermove province in Dissidia, for example.

If you want to reward heroism though, why not reward players with macro scale resources for heroics? Things that aren't direct increases in player power but they can use for impact, like free declarations stemming from fame or renown.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

TaintedBalance posted:

I actually think I have handled that decently. I gave each class a package which has a set of regular skills and then gets its own unique skill named after itself (Marauder for example gets Provoke, Physique and Marauder). Then the class name skill gets its own uses (using Marauder again, it gets an Overcome, Attack and Defend use, but no Create Advantage). We are only using the classes that launched with 2.0 for now as we work towards nailing the feel of the game. I also did this for Disciple of the Hand and Disciple of the Land, and then each player picks one of from each category of DoW/DoM, DoH, DoL. So you might pick something like Archer/Botanist/Carpenter. Then you rate those as your Good, Fair and Average Class and do the usual Atomic Robo style of rating things up if you have skill overlaps. Each class also gets a class aspect that is picked from the "starting story" thing from Fate Core.

I'll definitely take a look at the System Toolkit though, thanks for the link!

I've been thinking about how I would run a FF14 Fate game lately, and I've been thinking along the same lines as you with job-specific skills. I think it makes sense to make class packages for each of the base classes, and upgrade those class packages when players choose their jobs. I think the one downside of this is that there's going to be a lot of overlap between skills like Shoot and Archer, but if you can come up with unique cases for each then go for it. Adding disciple of the hand/land classes as skills is also an interesting idea, but only if your game is going to involve a lot of crafting/gathering.

The alternative I was thinking of was to add a new stress track for mana, which could be ticked to power job-specific stunts or used as a +2 equivalent when doing an action related to your job. All jobs would have access to mana and would help enforce the semi-super nature of being a Final Fantasy hero. You could also name this track Echo if you wanted that to be more mechanically relevant in your game.

I think trying to make mechanics for leves is unnecessary, they have no story significance in FF14 so I wouldn't use them more than as a plot point in a campaign kick-off. "You all find yourselves in Sastasha after accepting a leve to investigate pirate activity in the area," or something like that. After that, players should be guided to things by strong NPCs, which the game does as well.

Equipment is definitely not important in FF14, they're mostly stat sticks with changeable appearances. :v: Not to say you can't make it more important though! You could guide each player towards earning their own Relic Weapons. The second Encyclopedia Eorzea has some small lore snippets about the special weapons for each job, those might give you some ideas for plots for side quests. I don't think I would make a character's Relic Weapon anything more than a new Character Aspect though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I think it makes sense to make class packages for each of the base classes, and upgrade those class packages when players choose their jobs.

There's no point in reproducing FF14's bad job unlock mechanic in a tabletop game, especially when having players upgrade like that doesn't add anything meaningful.

Jobs either shouldn't exist except insofar as players can choose to name an aspect or stunt after them, or else they should just be your Roles.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no point in reproducing FF14's bad job unlock mechanic in a tabletop game, especially when having players upgrade like that doesn't add anything meaningful.

Jobs either shouldn't exist except insofar as players can choose to name an aspect or stunt after them, or else they should just be your Roles.
Mechanically, definitely don't reproduce how FF14 does job unlocks, but I think there's a lot of narrative potential to the party getting their first Job Crystals - way more than the game gives. To me, it signifies the transition from above-average adventurers to realm-renowned heroes.

In terms of Fate mechanics, I wouldn't do more than rewording one of your aspects to include your job and allowing new stunts that fit them. In my mind a Dragoon's Jump is more of a stunt than a flavoring of a regular attack, and wouldn't be something any regular Lancer can use. Maaaaaybe an extra skill point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With Google plus going away very soon, has anyone ever made a repository of all the Fate hacks?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
The newest FATE Kickstarter for Fate of Cthulhu debuted yesterday and has already met its funding goal. If you've ever wanted to play a game of 'What if Cthulhu was more like Skynet?' here's your chance.
Stretch goals will add more terrible timelines based on Mythos monsters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Everything Counts posted:

The newest FATE Kickstarter for Fate of Cthulhu debuted yesterday and has already met its funding goal. If you've ever wanted to play a game of 'What if Cthulhu was more like Skynet?' here's your chance.
Stretch goals will add more terrible timelines based on Mythos monsters.

Of note, the like....4th or 5th page of the book straight up calls out Lovecraft for being a horrific racist and antisemite. And lists some references of POC authors who have done Mythos works without those qualities. Good poo poo

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Trying to get a PbP game going in the game room running a mix of Fate Freeport and Atomic Robo to play through an old 3.5 campaign called Red Hand of Doom. Could use one or two more players if anyone would like to join in!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895653

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
How do people modify the initial skill set for Pulp?
My general thought is that rapport and empathy should be one skill so that fight/shoot are more similar. Also I split lore from academics because pulp heroes can be super brainy without being mystical or the reverse. Lastly, I feel like sneak and burglary are used so commonly together that they should be one skill, especially since you can’t get through the game with just one of them like you could being super good at athletics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I have a Fate Condensed Hack that is ready for feedback.

Let me just say that this is a game that will require the X Card

Let me explain some backstory. Somehow, when I saw this scene in Persona 5 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OeO1g8iWvs ), I got the idea for a game where you played teenagers with transforming superpowers fighting society. It was a vague idea but it just kind of came out from this one scene. You can see lingering influence of it in the document.

Then this developed oddly in my head. See, I kind of view Persona 5 as a superhero property. And I love superheroes so that mixed together. I was also rediscovering World of Darkness for a tick, until I learned how abusive the parent company is So, World of Darkness was on my mind. That's why the in progress document is called The Lost. I needed a name and just went with The Lost from Changeling The Lost with no greater thought. Everything kind of just started as weird anti-establishment teenage superheroes. It started to mix with WoD. But then, at some point, it basically started to get very LGBT+. Probably because I'm trans but everything shifted to LGBT+ superheroes at some point, specially trans, non-binary, agender, gender fluid superheroes fighting against oppression literally. It's honestly a little muddy

As a result, like with some microgames I made in the past, it started to touch on some real life issues and beliefs that I have So, kind of why I think its unsellable, even if I cut out the placeholder GIS art, did layout, etc. This is just a design doc.

Anyhoo, without further ado, the game: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xqWge25Ii-SeaED8rETur3A7uqKxpARCgEKbxVB3VE/edit?usp=sharing

Any commentary is appreciated!

I'm really worried this game might be offensive, honestly.

Oh also, I haven't touched Fate in forever. And I lucked out that Fate Condensed came out mid development. So I think I may have hosed some things up.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Quick skim notes:

Intro: "with the help of their tulpa, an enanmation body..." - I assume this is meant be 'emanation'? But shouldn't it be 'emanated'?

It's mentioned that Resource stress is rarely inflicted. If so, why is it there? Shouldn't something as major as a stress track always have at least some relevance to the game at hand? Considering the themes it might make more sense if Resources isn't just money but *all* your resources, social capital included, and is a frequent target of attacks. Losing friends, money, and even basic dignities is a serious concern minority groups face after all.

On a similar note, four stress tracks is A Lot. Is it strictly necessary to have them? It seems like you could just fold mental and phys stress under the umbrella of resource and identity trauma.

The tulpa usage section is kind of poorly written. It gives an example, but no actual rules or even guidelines on what escalation should be like, and whether it should even occur. I'd go over it again and fix this, as it's probably an important part of the gameflow.

With regards to Protests and Riots, are you familiar with Ryan Macklin's concept of compel refusal redefinition? His blog is defunct, but something he pitched was that a lot of the time, refusing a compel feels bad because you're chucking a fate point into the aether to make sure something doesn't happen. What he suggested was to make compel refusals grant a +2 to the next relevant roll to the situation, signifying the character rising to the challenge gracefully and bravely. This seems relevant to this particular contest. I'd also consider not making it require an unanimous refusal to guarantee a Riot breaks out - otherwise, it's going to incentivize players to never dip below 1 fp out of fear they will not be able to pay the price when a Protest is ongoing and thus take the story in a direction everyone else wanted to avoid. That's a surefire way of guaranteeing the wrong kinds of friction erupt between the players.

Authority figures seem utterly untouchable if you try to do anything but use your apex combination against them. With a big group, even that will probably not stop them from auto-Swsing vs players. The teamwork boost is a Bad Design that stifles player expression.

I don't feel confident enough about my knowledge of the theme to comment on offensiveness or lack thereof. Take these comments as coming purely from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully they're useful! :shobon:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Transient People posted:

Quick skim notes:

Intro: "with the help of their tulpa, an enanmation body..." - I assume this is meant be 'emanation'? But shouldn't it be 'emanated'?

It's mentioned that Resource stress is rarely inflicted. If so, why is it there? Shouldn't something as major as a stress track always have at least some relevance to the game at hand? Considering the themes it might make more sense if Resources isn't just money but *all* your resources, social capital included, and is a frequent target of attacks. Losing friends, money, and even basic dignities is a serious concern minority groups face after all.

On a similar note, four stress tracks is A Lot. Is it strictly necessary to have them? It seems like you could just fold mental and phys stress under the umbrella of resource and identity trauma.

The tulpa usage section is kind of poorly written. It gives an example, but no actual rules or even guidelines on what escalation should be like, and whether it should even occur. I'd go over it again and fix this, as it's probably an important part of the gameflow.

With regards to Protests and Riots, are you familiar with Ryan Macklin's concept of compel refusal redefinition? His blog is defunct, but something he pitched was that a lot of the time, refusing a compel feels bad because you're chucking a fate point into the aether to make sure something doesn't happen. What he suggested was to make compel refusals grant a +2 to the next relevant roll to the situation, signifying the character rising to the challenge gracefully and bravely. This seems relevant to this particular contest. I'd also consider not making it require an unanimous refusal to guarantee a Riot breaks out - otherwise, it's going to incentivize players to never dip below 1 fp out of fear they will not be able to pay the price when a Protest is ongoing and thus take the story in a direction everyone else wanted to avoid. That's a surefire way of guaranteeing the wrong kinds of friction erupt between the players.

Authority figures seem utterly untouchable if you try to do anything but use your apex combination against them. With a big group, even that will probably not stop them from auto-Swsing vs players. The teamwork boost is a Bad Design that stifles player expression.

I don't feel confident enough about my knowledge of the theme to comment on offensiveness or lack thereof. Take these comments as coming purely from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully they're useful! :shobon:

First off, thank you for taking the time to read everything. It's very appreciated.

Let me respond to your points through list.

1) Emanation body is just the term used to describe a Tulpa when I took a brief glance into its actual religious history.

2&3) Oh wait, that's an even better idea. I misunderstood you at first. But mixing Physical and Mental Stress into Resource Stress then having Trauma be its own stress works so much better for the themes of the game. Physical and Mental are so bland, that's got some pizzaz and it fits the metaphor we are going. I'm using that. I went phys/mental because that's the bogstandard default, but your direction gives things more of an identity.

4) Okay, that's fair. The general idea is that, when Tulpas are summoned, both the narrative and mechanics get tougher. The passive opposition increases by a step in the ladder to account for the increase in stats and it should be accompanied by a narrative escalation of events. How does that sound?

5) That's not a bad idea. Getting a +2 for refusing the compel is certainly doable. However, the unanimous decision is a sticking point either way. I made it unanimous because otherwise one player can throw a monkey wrench in things and start a riot. True to life but a cause of player friction. Your thoughts?

6) Authority Figures are really not supposed to be fought until their keys to power have been stripped. When I finished the Society section, this will be discussed. They're supposed to be untouchable until then. If that was taken into account, perhaps an Authority Figure can slowly lose their Big Boss bonus as they lose keys to power?

7) I completely understand. I'm trans myself, but I still feel uncomfortable as I am not enby, ace, or fluid.

I really appreciate the feedback and will take it into account.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Following up on a couple points a bit...

4) So if I get it right, manifesting your tulpa lets you stack skill + approach together, but increases passive opposition by +1 in response. This makes sense when people are reacting to you, but what about when you're interacting with your environment only? That might be an edge case and unimportant, but what about when you're trying to persuade someone who's at least willing to hear you out already (examples: your mom who doesn't know what to do with you coming out as trans, but sincerely loves you, or a member of another counterculture who's been betrayed a lot and is thus wary but would absolutely be your soul brother if he let you into his circle of trust)? It seems weird that the situation would escalate negatively instead of simply becoming easier to solve.

Also, bonus addendum which I feel bears talking about : what happens when you go loud while in the presence of apathetic-or-better members of society? Is it an automatic lose condition since it'd rapidly shatter the masquerade if you started walking on walls or flying while people take videos of it? Is there a reason not to flaunt your powers if you got 'em?

5) Wouldn't a majority suffice? It's very hard for most of the players to completely end up out of fp, and it allows players who need it to take the fps and generate juicy drama instead of feeling like they let the team down. It'd still be a group decision, just not one that clashes with the mechanics.

6) This'd be a great thing to add and make clear. Right now it reads like they always have the bonuses no matter what, which makes confronting the Authority Figures utter suicide - like, risky enough I would not do it without at least 6-7 fp per player and extreme fp-bombing tactics, which is never a fun look. If this disappeared and the bosses went down to the levels suggested by the Adversary Toolkit, that'd be a lot better.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'm curious how people go about making solo bosses interesting and legit threats to the party. I've been doing it by first following the Fate book's recommendation of making their skills/approaches +2 higher than the party. But I've also been experimenting with giving them more than one action (generally two actions), or stunts somewhat stronger than what the players can get. Some example of stunts I've used include gaining +3 instead of +2 on all boosts gained from defending with style (which I then generally burned on offense), dealing 1 stress on all physical contact (for a hivemind that can assimilate anything it touches), and stuff like that. I also tend to have the bosses focus on offense so they can lay on the stress.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, give’em more turns. Better than an impossible + bonus. Or no + from invoking consequences of a certain type.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I'm curious how people go about making solo bosses interesting and legit threats to the party. I've been doing it by first following the Fate book's recommendation of making their skills/approaches +2 higher than the party. But I've also been experimenting with giving them more than one action (generally two actions), or stunts somewhat stronger than what the players can get. Some example of stunts I've used include gaining +3 instead of +2 on all boosts gained from defending with style (which I then generally burned on offense), dealing 1 stress on all physical contact (for a hivemind that can assimilate anything it touches), and stuff like that. I also tend to have the bosses focus on offense so they can lay on the stress.

Give them some kind of environmental threat. The players have to spend some turns dismantling some kind of ritual/trap/etc while taking fire, or risk taking an absolutely massive attack when the badguy cashes in all his Fate Tokens on the fun toys in his premeditated battle arena.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

More actions is how I made a solo boss a challenge, but I also used a Bulletproof they couldn't just punchhard thru. This also helped constrain things since they had to spend actions to open the boss up to damage. Maybe that'll help?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey ya'll, long-time FATE GM but I've always done FATE in a sci-fi or modern setting. My new playgroup is leaning towards doing a high-fantasy (D&D style) story, so I'm probably going to need a Magic system.

I don't really vibe with any of the examples in the System Toolkit book, so I'm curious what other options you have used to mimic D&D style (not Vancian specifically) casting?

I could just totally sidestep it by saying "you want to cast Magic Missiles, take SHOOT. You want to cast Stoneskin, take PHYSIQUE" and honestly I'm kinda leaning towards this because it gets rid of the "gets to take ARCANA and use it for every skill check" issue that FATE can run into.

There's a wrinkle, though - my players aren't D&D veterans (they're actually totally new to actually playing RPGs, though they've been exposed to them via cultural osmosis and video games), so the classic D&D spell list is alien to them.

Any other links to systems that do high-fantasy fireball and feather fall and flight and wall of iron type casting you can recommend?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I wrote a magic system for FATE that builds spell effects on the fly using the Elements in a sort of grammar. It hasn't been playtested much because the game that was using it didn't last very long, but I think it has good bones if you/your players are down to experiment a bit. I can PM you if you like.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've used an extra set of stress boxes for casting spells, representing exhaustion/attention from the demons.
Casting spells cause stress, and casting too many or too powerful spells causes consequences.
It does require you to define how much stress a spell causes, but I simplified it a bit by saying that direct damage causes more than utility spells, and multi-target causes even more.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kenning posted:

I wrote a magic system for FATE that builds spell effects on the fly using the Elements in a sort of grammar. It hasn't been playtested much because the game that was using it didn't last very long, but I think it has good bones if you/your players are down to experiment a bit. I can PM you if you like.

Yeah, don't go full Ars Magica, but especially for fresh faces a marriage of "here are discrete elements used to assemble spells, you use them to justify these four extremely broad system actions" might be really attractive and graspable.

It's honestly a fun enough idea that makes me want to write it up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kenning posted:

:justpost:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I seem to recall people liking the Fate Freeport Companion as a good take on D&D-filtered-through-Fate, that might be worth a look. Though it was one of the rewards for the Core KS eons ago so is probably not state of the art anymore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah gently caress it, here's the outline:

The system of magic is based on control of the elements. The elements being used will be the classic 4 elements – earth, air, water, and fire – as well as two other elements, life and death (or light and dark, depending on your taste). A magic user will have, in addition to their regular skill columns, proficiencies in each of the elements, relating to their ability to use that element in magical spells.

Spells in this system will be based on a magical grammar, which will permit magic users to invent new and exciting spells dynamically, which can then be recorded and maintained for future use. A spell has 3 major components – nouns, verbs, and adjectives. A 4th component is the object or direction or shape of the spell. Spells are produced by creatively combining these components.

Now let's address each of these issues (elements and components) in turn. We'll start with the grammatical components, and then describe the elements and their characteristics.

Nouns are simple enough. This is the real manifestation of the element in question. While for the 4 elements, this is straightforward (Earth is earth, Fire is fire), for Life and Death it is a bit more complex. Manifesting true light or spirit, or true darkness or hunger, is inherently more difficult.

Verbs are actions associated with the element. The verbal characteristics of each element are covered in the description of that element, but the lists provided are intended to provide a broad outline, rather than a comprehensive description. There are certainly other actions and behaviors that might be ascribed to one or another element.

Adjectives are characteristics that can be applied to the nounal manifestations of the elements. Mostly this is intuitive (Fire with the adjective Water applied is liquid fire/lava/napalm), but more abstract and rarified adjectives are possible, though they will be more difficult to achieve.

Objects are the targets of a spell, usually a person or thing in the world. Objects can be directly acted upon by Verbs or Adjectives, though this is more difficult than having the Verb or Adjective act on a Noun (i.e. it's more difficult to simply apply the Adjective of Life on a person to heal them than it is to apply it to Nounal Water, creating a healing potion).

Now, as to the elements:

Earth

• Nounal Earth is the true manifestation of earth itself, i.e. soil or dirt. Other forms of earth (mud, stone, lava, sand) are earth modified with adjectives.
• Verbal Earth involves making, constituting, solidifying, and holding. It is used in instances of building and shaping.
• Adjectival Earth makes things heavy, solid, concrete/material, real, and persistent.

Wind

• Nounal Wind is the true manifestation of air/gas. By its nature it isn't well-contained, and unless acted on by other elements of a spell, tends to simply disperse once the spell is released.
• Verbal Wind involves moving, transporting, lifting, and flying. It also involves dispersing, disappearing, and fleeing, though these are more abstract (and thus, difficult) aspects.
• Adjectival Wind makes things light, insubstantial, quick, invisible, and fragile.

Water

• Nounal Water is the true manifestation of (fresh) water. Other states of water (like ice and steam) are water modified with adjectives.
• Verbal Water involves changing, shifting, cycling, and combining. It also encompasses growing and refreshing, as more abstract uses.
• Adjectival Water makes things cold, liquid, calm, and malleable.

Fire

• Nounal Fire is the true manifestation of flame. It burns magically until the spell is released, at which point it will snuff out, unless it has been applied to fuel of some sort, which allows it to burn as a natural flame.
• Verbal Fire involves rending, separating, and engulfing. It also encompasses exciting and beginning, as more abstract uses.
• Adjectival Fire makes things hot, energetic, unstable, and chaotic.

Life

• Nounal Life is the true manifestation of light. In a slightly more complex form, it is the true manifestation of spirit. The light disperses when the spell is released, though spirit lingers somewhat.
• Verbal Life involves repairing, invigorating, protecting, and increasing. It also involves containing and controlling, as more abstract uses.
• Adjectival Life makes things bright, healthful, safe, stable, orderly, and quick.

Death

• Nounal Death is the true manifestation of darkness. In a slightly more complex form, it is the true manifestation of hunger. The darkness dissipates when the spell is released, though hunger lingers somewhat.
• Verbal Death involves destroying, reducing, slowing, and ending. It also involves releasing and apprehending (i.e. seeing/understanding), as more abstract uses.
• Adjectival Death makes things dark, damaging, perilous, slow, and free.

I had a pretty simple spreadsheet I would use to determine the difficulty check for the spell working, where each additional component to the spell would increment the difficulty of the check, as would additional sophistication/difficulty (i.e. making the spell effect a larger area, making it happen further away, making the movement more intricate than a straight line, etc.). Players had a magic casting skill (either Magic or Religion, since I had a custom pantheon for this setting), and rolled that skill to perform the spell. Magic users could also buy proficiency in various elements at character creation by trading out slots on the skills pyramid, stunts, or points of refresh (I'd need to look at some documents on my home computer to recall the exchange rate I was using). Proficiency was used to decrement the difficulty of the spell check, as long as the spell used the element in question. I had a few different progression trees with magic to encourage specialization.

If players were just casting a spell to create an effect (i.e. make a rain storm) the difficulty would just be the difficulty of the spell. If it was contested somehow they would have to also clear the difficulty of the contest (i.e. to break down a door with an earth ram), which means they could fail to achieve their end without the spell backfiring somehow.

The goal was to make magic interesting and fun to use without trivializing the other skills and stunts. By sacrificing other parts of the character sheet to buy proficiency magic users just have a somewhat more open-ended series of choices and a wider possibility of consequences for failure, but not an inherent advantage over other PCs. The system as written also obviously requires a lot of table talk to work out how a spell would work. We never got this far, but I imagine a good move would be to create a sort of spell book for magic users where a spell could be recorded and then cast with a +1 bonus if it's used again in the future. So Fireball could be N Fire V Wind O Enemy = 4 difficulty (spells start at 1 difficulty before anything gets added to them), and if it's recorded as a spell you can cast it at 3 difficulty, and if you're 1 proficient in fire you can cast it at 2 difficulty, while Shield could be N Air A Earth = 3 difficulty, and recorded it's 2.

As I said, this has fairly limited playtesting, but it might be a fun starting point for people who want a rich magic system. I'd love to hear what folks think, since I've been wanting to start another game in the setting I developed this system for, and I'd love to tighten it up a bit before then.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shrecknet posted:

Hey ya'll, long-time FATE GM but I've always done FATE in a sci-fi or modern setting. My new playgroup is leaning towards doing a high-fantasy (D&D style) story, so I'm probably going to need a Magic system.

I don't really vibe with any of the examples in the System Toolkit book, so I'm curious what other options you have used to mimic D&D style (not Vancian specifically) casting?

I could just totally sidestep it by saying "you want to cast Magic Missiles, take SHOOT. You want to cast Stoneskin, take PHYSIQUE" and honestly I'm kinda leaning towards this because it gets rid of the "gets to take ARCANA and use it for every skill check" issue that FATE can run into.

There's a wrinkle, though - my players aren't D&D veterans (they're actually totally new to actually playing RPGs, though they've been exposed to them via cultural osmosis and video games), so the classic D&D spell list is alien to them.

Any other links to systems that do high-fantasy fireball and feather fall and flight and wall of iron type casting you can recommend?

In the early days of Fate Core someone made a system called literally "High Fantasy Magic", which is online at the Fate SRD.

The Fate System Toolkit also has an entire chapter on magic subsystems up at the SRD.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm making a FATE/PBTA mashup with Savage World elements based on an original setting that is a mix of Bleach, RWBY, and Dark Souls. Would this be a good spot to post the draft and discuss some elements of the work?

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Covok posted:

I'm making a FATE/PBTA mashup with Savage World elements based on an original setting that is a mix of Bleach, RWBY, and Dark Souls. Would this be a good spot to post the draft and discuss some elements of the work?

:justpost:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wild Hunt is the name of the game and you can see the rules there. The setting is in another document that I need to port back into this document.

The premise is that you are a Hunter, a person tasked with fighting the Reapers of the Wild Hunt. In the world of Residue, people are undying. However, if they are overcome with emotions -- such as severe depression or the pain of severe injury that would normally cause death -- you lose yourself to the beast and become a Reaper. Reapers are usually mindless and stalk the living of the world. The Great Schools fight back against the Wild Hunt, a collective of Reapers that have marauded the world since the Centuries War that ended the Age of Kingdoms, by training people to be Hunters. Hunters can use Dust, which is what makes up all life on Residue, to perform spells and use the secret art of Awakening. Awakenings are basically Shikai and Bankai's from Bleach or, in other words, super powers that come in two levels of power. Hunters enjoy many privileges but are basically constantly thrown into near death experience. As such, they rarely start families and instead become extremely close to their Team. The Great Schools aren't benevolent, however, and do many cruel things to ring everything they can out of their citizens. This is why so many choose to live in small villages outside the walls of the University Cities. The Great School allows this to occur, but also are known to withhold aid from these villages that grow too big to be a threat or don't show proper respect to the Great Schools.

Gameplay wise, Wild Hunt is a mix. Originally, I was making it for Cortex Prime. However, Fandom Inc has been dicking us around and refuse to drop a license, instead advising people to contact them for licensing. This is in direct contract to their Kickstarter pledge to make a SRD. And I bakced the kickstarter too. Anyhoo, I said gently caress that. Direct negotiation would be a nightmare and likely result in me having to accept the same terms they expect Netflix to use for the upcoming Dragon Prince game or the upcoming Masters of the Universe game.

Instead, I decided to make my own system. Similar to My Pet Monster, I used elements from different games to try to make the experience I was going for. The replacement of Fate Dice and Numerical Skill Rankings with a Dice Step system is takeng from Cor...Savage Worlds. The move structure is from PbtA. The Power System is based on Venture City. The combat system is inspired by the new Avatar Legends RPG mixed with Fate Core.

The game is built to be dramatic. You see, the gameplay loop is built around getting emotionally hurt, getting consequences, challenging consequences, redefining your aspects, etc. You essentially can only grow by challenging your aspects and the game treats Aspects from Consequences as more valuable than your other Aspects. After all, the larger your Consequence, the larger dice is added to your Advancement Track, compared to a set size based on the type of Aspect for your other Aspects. Advancement is also random, inspired by...uh, something I shouldn't say. You spend dice from your Advancement Track to make a move in the hopes of meeting the proper result to get the desired advancement. Since you can only have five dice in the track, in incentivizes you to get hurt so you can get even bigger dice in there.

The game further pushes into the theme by having Reaperification, the only way to die, not being a guarantee. You can save against it using a move and, if you get the best possible result, you Transcend it and become a Transcendent. I don't know if I should go into that, but, basically, the Great Schools are wrong, killing Reapers is not neccesary, and Reapers can both be cured through reaching out to them and people can Transcend it by holding on to their Values and Relationships. Since using your newfound powers actually turns the Schools against you as part of activation, if they see it, this is a natural, gameplay method to reinforce the idea that you eventually need to turn against the schools. Once you get far enough to unlock the highest tier of power, which players will naturally want to do but also do their best to grow their characters first to hedge their bests because the success of advancement is random, you are now living proof of the School's lies so they naturally turn against you. This also will, of course, reveal the School's underbelly and, hopefully, result in players overturning the Great Schools with a better system.

The entire game tries to subtly push people to get hurt, grow from it, keep getting stronger, survive Reaperification, become a target of the Schools, defeat the Schools, and end the game in a better world. It does this by subtly placing mechanics that make this inevitable, but never outright saying this will happen in the rules.

Otherwise, I think it's a cool mix, but it's unplaytested. We were supposed to do a playtest but it fell through.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

phone posting so i don't have a good way to shrink the pic to get it attached so selftweeting, sorry

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1437074414068240386?s=19

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean it should have more aspects. At minimum you can include Purple and Referency

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Reviving this thread, because I picked all of these up for a combined total of $20 and I'm extremely excited to start a campaign.

Thumbed through the core rulebook once already and I can't help but feel like some of these mechanics (Aspects, primarily) have influenced the gameplay in Disco Elysium. Are there any cRPGs that were explicitly influenced/based on FATE?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It hasn't really hit CRPGs in a big way, mostly because the care and use of aspects is left up to human judgement, and the computerized equivalent would mean tagging literally every random roll in the game with every possible aspect for whether it can apply or not.

There's an isometric RPG called Space Wreck that uses Fudge dice, at least.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t think so, because being able to compel and rewrite customizable aspects feels like a nightmare to program. There are some adequate choose your own adventures where you pick from a menu of stunts and aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is FATE Accelerated just a simplified ruleset for the game? How do people find using it over base FATE?