Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Finndo posted:

I thought the most pervasive truther rant was in relation to the Pentagon, claiming that nobody ever saw a plane there or something.

I had someone use this on me one. I pointed out that the Pentagon is right in the middle of a cluster of buildings run by the military. People scamper back and forth between them all day, so many, many people saw the plane come in. People like my father.

Then he asked me if well maybe it could have been a cruise missile that my dad mistook for a plane. I told him my dad was in the military for 20 years and had been working for a missile-related contractor for years since, and could identify every missile the US used.

He changed the subject to the moon landing.

VVV No. This was a guy in one of my gen ed classes freshman year of college. He was a drama major, and not terribly well read even within his own field. It was really :psypop: but he pretty quickly figured out continuing to bring this poo poo up was a bad idea, given that we had no choice but to spend time together and I was totally willing to punch him.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't a lot of assassinations and "lone gunmen" types conspiracy nuts? The unibomber sure had some conspiracy-nut political views. "The Gay Agenda" conspiracy results in a hell of a lot of dead or beaten gays around the world. "Vaccinations are a western plot to make us all impotent and control us!" kills a lot of aid workers in Pakistan. Hell I'd say most "terrorists" are inspired mostly by really lovely religious/political conspiracy theories.

The vaccination workers in Pakistan get shot because the Islamists think they're a front for the CIA. Reminder that part of how Osama bin Laden was tracked down was a vaccination program that was a front for the CIA. Not defending them, it's awful that this poo poo is getting people killed AND stopping us from finally irradiating polio, it's just that the Islamists aren't actually crazy on this one point.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wheeee posted:

I think the point is that by the time we could feasibly make a nuclear-powered car we'll have better, safer options anyhow.

Clean, safe large-scale nuclear power generation is already technically feasibleand I think there's a better chance of an updated/rebuilt power grid and better batteries/supercapacitors for cars than there is of us ever driving around with a Mr. Fusion.

If we're talking fusion then it's entirely possible to have a safe helium 3 powered car since neither fuel nor waste products are dangerous and the reaction itself can be totally shielded with just aluminum foils thanks to not producing anything worse than beta radiation. Just felt like I had to point that out for some reason. :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Grouchy Smurf posted:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2009/10/21/color-photography-from-russian-in-the-early-1900s/544/

Random pictures.

Seriously, do you people really believe that you great grand parents were blue and no one noticed?

My god, this also explains America's sudden fascination with itty bitty kitty titties. I don't know how I never realized.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Martello posted:

I also love all the questions.

BROWN HAIR....GLASSES,,,,ANNOYING VOICE,,,,IS THIS THE SAME WOMAN?

IS THIS A ""CRISIS ACTOR???""!!

ARE """THEY""" LYING TO US?

GLOBALISTS??

I read somewhere that a lot can be gleaned about a person's mental state by their writing. If that's the case, I figure all the question marks indicates uncertainty about the insane theories they claim to believe so strongly. It's like they don't even buy their own bullshit, and it comes out in their writing.

The phenomenon of quotes for emphasis is larger than just conspiracy loons. I hate it so much.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Strudel Man posted:

You'll love/hate this, if you're not already aware of it.

:lol:

The very first thing on the page was

God, it's been a long time since I've laughed so hard while also wanting to kill myself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

razorrozar posted:

I did specify "if interstellar flight is achievable". It very well might not be, much as the romantic in me wants to believe, and if it's not of course they haven't been here.

In fact, given that we haven't detected massive interstellar trade routes, it's pretty likely FTL is either a pipe dream or so far beyond our reach that it amounts to a pipe dream. Or that not enough interstellar societies exist to form the kind of communities that would use them.

A possibility I don't see mentioned much is the galaxy could be full of intelligent life and interstellar travel possible, but humans happen to be the most technologically advanced because all the other species are even dumber and more shortsighted. Like, the entire rest of the galaxy is like America in Idiocracy, and our dumb asses (that is, human kind) end up being the voice of reason. :eng99:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

SJWs wouldn't be SJWs if they had the threat of force behind them. They'd be the Taliban.

I don't follow. :pwn:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GlyphGryph posted:

It seems more likely that racism is a necessary but not sufficient cause.

Quoting for emphasis, since people are continuing to act like he's defending birthers.

They hold their nose and support Cain because they have other motivations in addition to racism. They are racist AND partisan. Refusing to let human beings, however terrible, be reduced to caricatures with only a single personality trait (racism) is not being complicit with racism, jesus loving christ. If anything, it paints them in a worse light because it expresses how willing they are to engage in blatant, cynical hypocrisy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slanderer posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read in D&D. Conservatives have a lot of dumb beliefs, and racism is only one of them.

I'm glad to see someone else say this. I went through a series of discarded post drafts, the most civil of which was "how do you get your pants on the right way?" then decided it would be better to not respond. Does conservatism not exist in a society before it encounters other races? How does conservative opposition to any action on climate change reduce to racism?

That last part is actually relevant to the thread. It always boggles my mind when people trust the makers of electronic gadgets, but not climatologists. Like, how can you believe that scientists are willing to conspire en masse to perpetuate a giant hoax, yet still own a cell phone, let alone a GPS enabled smart phone?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nintendo Kid posted:

Even more so, the Brits, Americans, and Soviets were all grabbing scientists within their first invasion and then occupation zones just as soon as their troops were taking the land. Many of the "high value" people had already been grabbed before Hitler shot himself, and we know from multiple opposing sources that Hitler hadn't left the bunker property, let alone Berlin, for an extended time before he shot himself.

My favorite part of all that is Von Braun defecting by having his brother approach a random-rear end private and say "yo, my brother designed the V1 and he wants to defect." Can you imagine being that private?

:stare: "uh lemme get my CO."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

emfive posted:

I think you guys mean V2

The V1 was a pulse jet cruise missile.

The way I've seen the story told Werner's brother actually said V1. Now that I actually check that had to have been a typo or a mistake because, you know, von Braun didn't design the V1.

No idea about the Stalin thing.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 25, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EXAKT Science posted:

From Facebook, shared by the an-cap I keep around for the stupid poo poo he posts:

:stare:

I'd be soooo tempted to respond to this post with links to unedited ISIS videos with the start time set right to the messy parts.

Or maybe one of the videos that show a woman with a clearly visible blown-open head but her arms blurred out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Under the vegetable posted:

My big conspiracy theory is that the incredible quantity of conspiracy theories dominating american discourse is inextricably linked with the dire, shameful state of mental health care in america. There are so many undiagnosed, untreated schizophrenics running around, it's crazy.

Schizophrenia isn't the only one. Schizotypal personality disorder produces weird beliefs, though it's more a product of weird thinking than outright delusions. Eg it's less "the government implanted a tracking device in my skull" and more "it is the destiny of the Aryan race to take control of eastern Europe."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AddMEonFacebook posted:

lol DSM-V. ad-hom some more

DSM-V is an embarrassment.

Since you're evidently never going to elaborate on how business interests lead to WW1, could you at least elaborate on this, preferably not in the form of a premise, a yawning gulf, and then the restated thesis? Discussion is a lot more interesting when the people involved present actual arguments.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I'll just continue to label your posts as ad-homs or strawmans until I see one that I think is serious.

In that case I'm going to reply to every single one of your posts with "this post exhibits the fallacy of the undistributed middle" and then poo poo my pants, over and over, while crying.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jack Gladney posted:

Stop taking the bait for gently caress's sake.

It's not like this thread has a lot else going on right now. If there were posts other than AddMe, people would be responding to those.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Under the vegetable posted:

Some guy I know on Facebook posted today about how the moon is an artificial satellite and if we blew up the moon all real humans would get superpowers like underwater breathing and ok just here

Looking into this lead me to something I feel compelled to share:

quote:

The younger Tempelhofgesellschaft was founded in Vienna in the early 1990s by Norbert Jurgen-Ratthofer and Ralft Ettl to teach a dualist form of Christian religion called Marcionism. This one was a part of the main THG/Homburg. The group identifies an "evil creator of this world," the Demiurge with Jehovah, the God of Judaism. Jesus Christ was an Aryan, not Jewish. They distribute pamphlets claiming that the Aryan race originally came to Atlantis from the star Aldebaran (this information is supposedly based on "ancient Sumerian manuscripts"). They maintain that the Aryans from Aldebaran derive their power from the vril energy of the Black Sun. They teach that since the Aryan race is of extraterrestrial origin it has a divine mission to dominate all the other races. It is believed by adherents of this religion that an enormous space fleet is on its way to Earth from Aldebaran which, when it arrives, will join forces with the Nazi Flying Saucers from Antarctica to establish the Western Imperium.

source

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shbobdb posted:

I get that you aren't there yet, it will come. For now, just forget about the Illuminati and let's just talk about the conspiracies on the ground that we all agree happened.

You're what this thread needed. I want to Add You on Facebook.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tercio posted:

I'd like all my conspiracy theory delivered in song from now on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_etUjsXPQ6Y

Some of the comments are great.

quote:

ill-informed but lyrically gifted for certain lmfao

quote:

FACT - Bush used Termites to bring the buildings down!

quote:

What do masons do? Build buildings. What happened on 911? Buildings destroyed. Coincidence?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't know that this is strictly thread relevant, but with the death of the attention economy thread, this is the best place I can find for it, and it's too dopey not to post somewhere:

quote:

You can download MetaMath a proof checker, and it’s database set.mm, and it’s book for free. If you read the book, and reimplement say the python version (like 300 lines or so) in a different language (to make sure you understood every step in the algorithm) and verify the database, then you can know with certainty that each of the 18000 theorems with proofs follow from the axioms, without even understanding what the theorems say. This is what I mean with indirect understanding.

Define a belief system to be a set of axioms, then using proof checkers one can verify proofs. As soon as *anyone* finds a contradiction, “true=false” is proven in this belief system, and *every* statement in the belief system is both true and false and hence useless. The only mitigation is switching to a different belief system, or dropping one of the conflicting axioms (and all theorems that rest upon it). So dropping an axiom is also a change of belief system…

After “publish or perish” for Open Source, we will have “formalize or fossilize” for Open Understanding.

Since machine verification requires the proofs to be in a machine readable format, educational software could be built to train and maintain ready knowledge of axioms, theorems, proofs, belief systems… (so that the user can transform indirect understanding to direct understanding)

So when choosing what to universally teach to children as a minimum (like alphabetism) refrain from domain specific knowledge, but definitely teach everything required to understand proof checkers, belief systems, … so that they know how to gather human knowledge into a coherent belief system, and can verify proofs of claims they do not belief in an automated way, so they know when to stop being stubborn.

One can not prove cryptographic primitives to be unbroken, one can only claim as an axiom that no algorithm to break it with high probability with tractable scaling of requisite resources is publically known yet.

This even changes the concept of democracy, if humanity maintained a belief system, only one person needs to find an inconsistency and the rest is forced to resolve the problem. We could vote things like “use known set of rules A (with known provable properties) until someone finds a set of rules B (with stronger desirable requested properties)”…

Source: one of the comments here http://hackaday.com/2015/08/10/defcon-vs-iot-on-hackability-and-security/

To my shame, I was unable to resist touching the poop.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Illuminti posted:

There's an amazing video of a guy explaining how he's being ganag stalked because his jeans are ripped. Gangstalking is definitely one of the weirder ones

Relatively sane people can believe most conspiracy theories, but gang stalking is literally classic schizo. Like, an example you'll see in textbooks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Illuminti posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the posters over at the Icke forums have already identified that reporters who got shot live on TV earlier today as a false flag operation.

this was posted as relevent somehow

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=297731

:staredog: That's one hell of a post.

Further reinforces my desire to feed Icke's stuff into a Markov chain bot and set it loose on youtube.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nolanar posted:

Someone linked this over in the pseudoscience thread, but it fits in perfectly here too: The ConspiraSea cruise! Yes, that's the real name, and it appears to be a real thing. Guest speakers include a bunch of loving nutjobs. The main name that jumped out at me is Andrew Wakefield, of fake vaccine study fame.

If you're playing the conspiracy theory drinking game, go ahead and call the paramedics now.

Can you imagine the freakout if that ship sank?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sharkie posted:

How threatened do you feel when you see black people saying "kill whitey"?

Can someone please drop the catty sarcasm and actually make a point?

Like, is empathizing with the systematic oppression that motivates "kill whitey" comments good enough, or am I supposed to think they're actually constructive?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Could you explain what rhyming logic is? I'm just finding lists of words that rhyme with "logic."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A great many conspiracy theorists are actually just crazy. There isn't logic behind it. I'm serious. A poo poo load of them are literally schizophrenic but not being treated.

Also, schizotypal personality disorder. It's like schizophrenia with much milder impairments. Folks with this see spooky significance in mundane events, and frequently have bizarre beliefs resulting from strange thought patterns, rather than full-on "the lizards are telling me I'm Jesus" delusions. Lots of magical thinking and paranoia.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Spazzle posted:

Has batman ever lost to superman?

Yes, in The Dark Knight Returns.

Vvv that's still a loss! :V

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 1, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

twistedmentat posted:

You know, that's a conspiracy theory I can believe in!

Oh poo poo i'm dead. Awe! Who's a good doggy? Yes You are yes you are!

As with so many things, the secret to a happy life is not overthinking it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The AK is the equivalent of a wet, frayed towel against a tank or a plane.

The standard strategy for infantry to fight tanks in urban situations involves knocking holes in interior walls of apartment buildings or row houses, running around through the resulting rabbit warren and popping out unpredictably (like murderous whackamoles) to fire rifles or machine guns at the tank's hatches. The idea is to force the crew to button up, limiting their situational awareness, while also forcing them to divide their attention many different directions. This provides cover for a dude to blast the tank in the butt or track with a carefully aimed rocket or missile, or to run up with a satchel charge.

So basically in the scenario described the dude is hosed due to being alone at least as much as he's hosed by just having a bow. This is something I don't think I've ever seen a prepper address. They all seem to expect to survive just fine as a lone, isolated homestead.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreyjoyBastard posted:

And your objection is?

If the world has always been a dystopia then the word is useless in the same way as Austrian economist's idea of "rational." It's just masturbation, dick waving over who can be the most pessimistic and who can most venomously condemn all human endeavor. I see it as a coping strategy on exactly the same vein as the conspiracy bullshit this thread is supposed to be about. Concluding that things are hosed will always be hosed and have always been hosed assuages fear of the unknown, grants one Enlightened status justifying smug superiority over the regular sheeple, and conveniently removes any responsibility to try to actually fix anything.

Popular Thug Drink: what's your opinion of automated just-in-time supply chains?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 23, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

God drat it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

site posted:

Did you seriously just extend a quote of yourself.

I'm phone posting and not terribly bright.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

C.M. Kruger posted:

Well DARPA just announced they're going to be doing some cyborg stuff.
http://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2015-01-19

Just wait until the program accidentally releases poison gas, killing hundreds of thousands of people in Singapore.

Seriously though, given how wacky the stuff we know about is, the top secret stuff has got to be bonkers. Waterboarding:butthummus::neural interfaces:???

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stumbled on this today at work:

wikipedia posted:

The [Order of Nine Angles] promotes the idea that human history can be divided into a series of Aeons, each of which contain a corresponding human civilization. It expresses the view that the current Aeonic civilization is that of the Western, but claims that the evolution of this society is threatened by the "Magian/Nazarene" influence of Judeo-Christian religion, which the Order seeks to combat in order to establish a militaristic new social order, termed the "Imperium". According to Order teachings, this is necessary in order for a Galactic civilization to form, in which "Aryan" society will colonise the Milky Way. It advocates a spiritual path in which the practitioner is required to break societal taboos by isolating themselves from society, committing crimes, embracing political extremism and violence, and carrying out an act of human sacrifice. ONA members practice magick, believing that they are able to do so through channeling energies into our own "causal" realm from an "acausal" realm where the laws of physics do not apply, with such magical actions designed to aid in the ultimate establishment of the Imperium.

And that started me on a hell of a wiki chain:

quote:

Several academic commentators to have studied the ONA express the view that the name "Anton Long" is probably the pseudonym of the British Neo-Nazi activist David Myatt, although Myatt has denied that this is the case.

quote:

David Wulstan Myatt[1] (born 1950), formerly known as Abdul-Aziz ibn Myatt[2] and Abdul al-Qari,[3] is the founder of The Numinous Way,[4][5][6] a former British Muslim,[6] and a former Neo-Nazi.
Myatt describes the Numinous Way as "the result of a four-decade long pathei-mathos and [...] the often difficult process of acknowledging my many personal mistakes",[105] and writes that it is an apolitical, and individual, way of life,[106] based on empathy and πάθει μάθος, pathei-mathos,[106] where race and the concept of the folk not only have no place[107] but are regarded as unethical abstractions.[57][106]

From the talk page of that article:

quote:

Political scientist George Michael has written that Myatt is an "intriguing theorist," [9] with a reported IQ of 187, [9] who has embarked over the years on a series of "Faustian quests." [9] — I seriously doubt this guy has an IQ of 187, mainly, because he's a follower of Islam (not exactly a religion that attracts geniuses). It would be nice if someone could verify the source given for this bold statement.[6] ISBN 0700614443 page 142. — EliasAlucard (Discussion · contribs) 00:32, 16 January 2008 (UTC)

I loving love it. All of it. But especially that talk page post. It's like a huge shaggy dog joke.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DKD posted:

TRUE FACTS from some guy I met:

-The only reason Yo-Yo Ma got famous was because "they" (the sinister liberal-Islamist alliance) didn't want yet another famous Jewish violinist
-The reason why cops are called "pigs" is because when they retire, they're ready for the slaughter. By which he means, the Black Panthers kill them.
-This is done primarily through contact poisons.
-Many things are done via contact poison.
-Contact poisons that are very hard to detect unless you know what you're looking for (he knows what he's looking for).
-The reason his art career never took off was because he wasn't liberal/gay enough for Them.
-He's not saying that the Ottoman Empire was behind the Hindenburg disaster, and also for starting World War I, but wasn't it awfully convenient for them that all the old colonial powers were suddenly killing each other???
-The Protocols of the Elders of Zion is partly true, you just have to change "Jews" to "Muslims." Because it's actually a description of the sinister Islamic conspiracy to take over the world. Also, the reason it's anti-Jewish is because of the Jesuits.
-Speaking of the Catholic-Islamic alliance, he's pretty sure that the reason why women used to have to cover their heads in church was because the Catholics were trying to appeal to people "from a certain part of the world."

At some point, I think this sort of delusion stops being paranoia and starts being a sort of liberation from your lovely life, a gnostic apotheosis.

Hm, a racist, antisemitic, homophobic paranoid who blames others for his failed art career. :hitler:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

laserghost posted:

Well, I hope that there are pagans in Europe who aren't rascist shitheads, but where I live identifying as a pagan is basically a codeword for being a nationalistic hateful oval office who's also at odds with Vatican because of Jewish influences, sprinkled with pseudohistorical mythology. Shouting "slava" and using "the sun symbol" is of course part of the "heritage", not a shout out to good ol' Alfie, silly!

It's really distressing seing such blatant hate groups becoming more and more widespread and politically involved (even on mainstream level) here. But I guess that's subject for the Eastern Europe thread.

Weird. All the pagans I know are liberal, tolerant women, and half of them are bisexual. But then again they're more about Cernunos than Odin.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

blowfish posted:

lolicon is a very legitimate means of artistic expression you philistine :weaboo: :furcry: :aatrek:

I believe you mean ephebocon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I found this comment on a YouTube of the pink elephant scene from Dumbo. I had to share, and this seems like the thread most able to appreciate it.

quote:

That is disgusting.

The line about worms and micro organisms is where apparently they drive people insane by locking them inside coffins filled with maggots and spiders and stuff as part of satanic rituals. This disney film is most likely some kind of mkultra programming video and is disturbing as gently caress. There was a pizzagate documentary where a mother had to discuss with her daughter what had happened to her daughter, and her daughter had been locked inside coffins with horrible things.

The 'elephants' are the 'elephants of the room' the ones who don't fit in. Pink I'm sure refers to some kind of perverted sexual thing.

This video always, always, always made me feel physically nauseated watching it, and with the flashing lights there is plenty of room for subliminal messages to be put there in and trip and trigger someone out.

• Locked thread