Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Butler explained that their single "Reflektor" was inspired by the band's trip to Haiti two years ago, after The Suburbs came out. The band was preparing its setlist for a performance in rural Haiti, and found themselves considering what kind of music they should play for an audience "who had never heard the Beatles before," "stripped of context" with "no history of rock and roll to rely on." They realized people could connect to their music on a rhythmic level. According to Butler, they experienced something similar on a trip to Jamaica, where they recorded with producer Markus Dravs.

Butler said the band has been playing with Haitian congo players at home in Montreal, which has contributed to the underlying "voodoo rhythms" of their new music. Two Haitian percussionists will be touring with the band. "It does something really magical to the rhythm section," Butler said, "[these] deep African voodoo rhythms are the language in Haiti, [they're] basically how people communicate."

Butler ultimately described the sound as a "mash up of Studio 54 and Haitian voodoo." He commented on the increasing prevalence of genre-less taste today. "To me the joy of making music in 2013 is you're allowed to like Sex Pistols and ABBA and that's fine," he said. "It's such an explosion, anything that's good rises to the top, and we want music that respects that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
this is probably like graceland without the self awareness

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

i also occasionally read pitchfork op

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

i also occasionally read pitchfork op

please don't try to discredit Skylar K.'s pitchfork-quoting skills.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Temple of the Dog BaCK? "It's pretty great how" Eddie Vedder yelled at the dog house, "they really resopond to the jingling of keys," Vedder also says. We're "going for a ride." Hit the jump for tour info: @ with chris cornell

Theophilus
Oct 5, 2002

nazi nazi
no one in haiti has ever heard the beatles

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
savages

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
that they have heard, but they thought it was all hype

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
anyway good job on i was made for lovin' you 2.0

for the Win

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Skylark posted:

Butler explained that their single "Reflektor" was inspired by the band's trip to Haiti two years ago, after The Suburbs came out. The band was preparing its setlist for a performance in rural Haiti, and found themselves considering what kind of music they should play for an audience "who had never heard the Beatles before," "stripped of context" with "no history of rock and roll to rely on." They realized people could connect to their music on a rhythmic level. According to Butler, they experienced something similar on a trip to Jamaica, where they recorded with producer Markus Dravs.

ahahahah ohmygod i'm dying over here

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

please don't try to discredit Skylar K.'s pitchfork-quoting skills.

4real i cannot BELIEVE a bunch of people just rushed to embarass themselves and post some absolute bullshit when there is as glorious of an OP as that

imagine that. imagine the loving ARCADE FIRE getting ready for a show in haiti. the dude who bangs on poo poo and the spooky lead singer probably probably said really racist and uneducated poo poo, the accordion player sick with anxiety.

who asked them to come out to "rural haiti" if no one wanted them there?

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
To me the joy of making music in 2013 is you're allowed to like Sex Pistols and ABBA and that's fine

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
arcade fire rage against the suburbs but end up doing the white person thing. nice.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

can't wait to hear AF's ecclectic take on voodoo rhythms op

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i went to a haitian voodoo ceremony and i learned that ogun is some 'win', quipped win bulter winkingly '-)

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

animal drums posted:

To me the joy of making music in 2013 is you're allowed to like Sex Pistols and ABBA and that's fine

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
yall do realize that the lady singer of arcade fire is haitian right

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

you do realize that's his wife but dude said "voodoo drums" like 20 times and then "It does something really magical to the rhythm section [these] deep African voodoo rhythms are the language in Haiti, [they're] basically how people communicate" typical hippie racism

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
win butler made his own version of oblique strategies where every card says "Do what a black guy would do". black people's connection to music, and to the natural world is very pure and meaningful. i feel like one failing of us white people is we get caught up in all these complicated ideas that weigh down the white mind, that sometimes we can't even just feel the beat and really make the rhythm that's natural

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Skylark posted:

win butler made his own version of oblique strategies where every card says "Do what a black guy would do". black people's connection to music, and to the natural world is very pure and meaningful. i feel like one failing of us white people is we get caught up in all these complicated ideas that weigh down the white mind, that sometimes we can't even just feel the beat and really make the rhythm that's natural

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Skylark posted:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
in 2000, Soulfly promised to take us "Back to the Primitive" -- in 2013, Win Butler is taking the primitive and bringing it forward, to us.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
in the neon bible track "black mirror", arcade fire talked about a black mirror. in their new single, "reflektor", the reflektor acts as a kind of "black mirror", reflecting music in a black way.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
when you hear the arcade fire's "Reflektor" at brunch, the tribal voodoo motifs embedded in its jaunty rhythms may remind you as you tuck into your eggs benny that someone somewhere else is tucking into a disc of clay. looks like brecht may have found his spiritual heir at last

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
you've listened to Ready to Die. you've watched The Wire. you've seen how the other half lives -- but have you FELT it? you may know the language of the streets, but these voodoo rhythms will teach you the language of the SOUL

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Skylark posted:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

cf posted:

Savages

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

Skylark posted:

in the neon bible track "black mirror", arcade fire talked about a black mirror. in their new single, "reflektor", the reflektor acts as a kind of "black mirror", reflecting music in a black way.

haha

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Skylark posted:

Butler ultimately described the sound as a "mash up of Studio 54 and Haitian voodoo." He commented on the increasing prevalence of genre-less taste today. "To me the joy of making music in 2013 is you're allowed to like Sex Pistols and ABBA and that's fine," he said. "It's such an explosion, anything that's good rises to the top, and we want music that respects that."

started frm the bottom now we here

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

that they have heard, but they thought it was all hype

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Skylark posted:

xcvb
Mar 17, 2007
these people never even heard the beatles. theyre more into tupac and, idk, ray charles

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

xcvb posted:

these people never even heard the beatles. theyre more into tupac and, idk, ray charles

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

That's some Win.

k records gf.
Jun 14, 2012

thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
._.
butler continues: "we're definitely going for more of a tribal feel - weird skeletons wearing clothes who do magic, a chorus of hooting children like the music in that x-files episode about haitian immigrants - that kind of thing. after all," he pauses to apply makeup based on the "witch doctor" character from scooby doo, "the original drum tracks were elephant footfalls."

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

looooooool

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

lol ps how white of a haitian?

and also lol http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/09/12/arcade_fire_graffiti_marketing_vandalism_or_both_relektor_ads_are_a_nuisance.html fake graffiti promoting this record

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Slackerish posted:

yeah,.. well... Im haitian him too right now

k records gf.
Jun 14, 2012

thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
thrash night
._.
win butler appears onstage in blackface dressed as baron samedi - "our next record will be a concept album about breast ironing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solidus
Nov 1, 2005

ε===(っ≧ω≦)っ♡
fail butler

• Locked thread