Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Rutkowski posted:

SilverSeven, really sorry about both of us leaving when you joined the dressing room but it's 1:40AM here and I need to sleep and Flaggy just finished his cooking during the game before.

But at least we won!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ugh, Ill be so glad when this little stretch of assignments is done. I might just crunch a bit tomorrow to open up Wednesday as a night to relax to the soothing sound of Rutkowski heading to the penalty box for the umpteenth time. :v:

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I like how I am an "EASHL All-Star Left Wing", when I don't even play left wing.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Any Seniors going to be on tonight? I've been crunching for a week and have EASHL withdrawal. I hope to be able to be on at 6 CST or shortly thereafter. (7 EST)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I think I can hop on. Played a bunch of All star HUT last night, and think I'm good to go.

VVV Edit - be there is a bit - Friggin PS3 crashed trying to back out of the 19 levels of menu screens from Hut to the main page. Now it's testing the integrity of the file system... VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 5, 2013

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

My stupid PS3 is system updating

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

okay well the family vacation I was hosting is over so I should be available most evenings CET again

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hi I impulsively bought 14 over the weekend so will sign up for whatever is open once I get the hang of the new version. The left stick checking is already loving with me pretty bad.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Club for the Senior Aged is the group for you then! Send a message to forutkowski and I'll let ya in.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ill be on tonight 6 cst. Go team us. Rutkowski and I played two games on Saturday and it was the same team both times, lost the first game, dominated the 2nd.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

i've been on and will be till about 23 cet

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Left stick hitting can be turned off the same way as auto-skate backwards

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

going to be jumping on shortly until 22-23 CET (or until I get bored of drop-ins and go play GTA V)

edit: I've had all can take of playing with pubbies, will we ever have CSA games again?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 8, 2013

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey killdozers, we should play some internet hockey.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Felt good to get some hockey in, even if we were rusty as hell. I would be up for more tonight. 9 more games played for Super Star 3. Also, Tordah's jail time in the box was the best part of the night...sorry, Tordah.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

I can be around after the sabres game. My roommate had been monopolizing the ps3 playing HUT and I've been working a lot and not home so I'd love to get some killdozing in tonight.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rutkowski posted:

Club for the Senior Aged is the group for you then! Send a message to forutkowski and I'll let ya in.

I applied today my psn is ibeiten

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

I applied today my psn is ibeiten

Added you. Sent a friend request.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It owns how you have to go through 6 different menus to get to the locker room now and each one wants to download poo poo from the server so it takes forever

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

It owns how you have to go through 6 different menus to get to the locker room now and each one wants to download poo poo from the server so it takes forever

IT's even better when your first game goes into 4 ot's

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah and every goal in the game was pure bullshit. It was still fun though, thanks for playing with me.

I do have a mic but I just moved so it is in a box somewhere

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So there was a title patch today, nothing amazing, unless you are Tordah / UtterlyWorthless:

"Added the ability to turn game misconducts off for EASHL/OTP via tuner update. Player will still earn the 5 min major and then come out of the box."

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who here is RoadApples_?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
As the current holder of the Game Misconduct record for the CSA(all of them), gently caress that patch.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rutkowski posted:

As the current holder of the Game Misconduct record for the CSA(all of them), gently caress that patch.

Come play some hockey, I am home sick today so will be on all day.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Rutkowski posted:

Come back when you've got 75+ (although, this is over NHL13 through 14). My name literally was Game Misconduct.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Good games last night, Killdozers, especially after that first turd we put up.

There are a few basic things we do a lot, lot better in games that we win, and last night we did 'em in spades. 1) cycle cycle cycle as opposed to throwing the puck into the slot right away, 2) skate to open areas of the ice on the rush and in the zone, 3) don't go headhunting. Seriously I was especially impressed by that third point; I think that we were severely outhit in pretty much all the games we won, which probably has SOMETHING to do with the fact that I don't think we took more than 3 penalties (at least after the lovely game, which I have mostly tried to forget).

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Amy dozers going to be around tonight? I'll actually be home and can play for the first time in forever, and it won't even be my roommate this time

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
:siren: Attention Killdozers! :siren:

Rock has come back from the grave, for today only (I have no real idea).

Me, Tordah and Rock are currently on, who will join us?

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

I had a lot of fun playing with you guys again last night. We had some bad games admittedly, but Legio is right. We played our best when we cycled the puck and passed well and didn't head hunt. I think throughout the night we got better at taking better shots and not settling for the first open lane. It was a lot of fun being able to play organized hockey and more or less dominate the game, regardless of final score.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
That or we invest in jumping better, this guy has it all figured out from our last game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T634em2Wlf8

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Looking for a few more dozers to get some games in

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I will be online today in roughly an hour, 11pm EST.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Great games last night Dozers, many wins including a rage quit and a triple overtime that was 1 minute away from 4 OT. A few of us are now getting very close to our legend 1 cards, and one of us already has it.

Some observations while I am bored at work waiting for an attorney to call me!

Penalties: We are taking MUCH less, and in fact, drawing more. Bob especially, you had a whopping 0 PIM in that last game, which was 119 minutes of play. Yet you still led us all in hits, had a ton of shots on net, and played like a man possessed. Excellent job overall. Boardings and trips can be 100% avoided, interferences are chincy, they're going to happen regardless. Remember that if you want to shot block, use L1 only, and try not to do it if a forward is right next to you, or you will end up going to the box just like me. the L1+R1 move should be used in an emergency to break up a cross crease pass, it's not a very useful shot block, and causes a ton of tripping calls.

PK's: Be careful about trying to get too fancy, you will never be faulted for just rifling the puck out of the zone for a clear. Try not to pass across or up the ice when you've got more than one forward attacking you. Even if you've got the angle, all it takes a someone with high offenseive awareness, who will automatically become clairvoyant and shove his stick out at light speed to break up your pass. I don't believe they can do this if you just shoot the puck out.

PP's: Cycling the puck works well for us in last nights game, but remember the concept is to score a goal. We cycled the puck for well over 20 seconds a few times, just to lose possession without ever having taken a shot on net. Use your Defense for point shots and make sure someone is crashing the net for a tip or rebound. Also remember to take your time. when they are short a man, you can afford to hold onto the puck a bit longer to make that nicer pass, instead of trying to get rid of it instantly.

Shoot Vs. Pass: I am a big proponent of always putting it on the net. How many times have we scored on "throwaway" shots? Don't get me wrong passing is great, but unless you have the confidence that you can make that pass, just throw it on net and go for the rebound. Our forwards are quite good at chasing the puck down in the offensive zone, give them that opportunity.

Puck Moving: The one thing I noticed more than anything else is the abundance of avoidable offsides we had last night. We had too many people carry the puck to the blue line and proceed to get either murdered, or attempt a deke which caused our other players to go offsides. The murders were worse, as it opened up a good amount of 2 on 1's, or breakaways. This is easily remedied by either dumping the puck, or passing the puck to someone else once you notice the other team is gunning for you. Similarly, if you are playing as a defender, and intend to take the puck in yourself when other teammates are in line or ahead of you, you need to let us know since it is assumed that most defensmen will pass the puck forward.

Offense as a Defenseman: In the offensive zone, the defenders must NEVER pinch unless another player has you covered, or it is the end of the 3rd and we are down in the score. There should never be a reason for a breakaway, 2v1 or 3v1 when we are at even strength. Remember that it's the forwards' job to forecheck. As defense you need to constantly be giving a cushion so you don't get burned and stay at or close to the blue line. If you're not pinching, you should never go further in than to the top of the faceoff circle. It's far more important to cover the cherrypicker/breakout, then it is to raise your shots on goal stat.

Defense: Don't go for the hit in our defensive zone (as a defender) unless you know for sure that you will land it, or you have backchecking forwards ready to help. This caused us to end up 2v1 a few times yesterday, and led to more than one goal against. Finally, remember your side and try to stick to it when defending a breakout. If there are two skaters charging into the defensive zone, and the puck carrier is on the right, while the open skater is on the left, the LD should not be charging the puck carrier, leaving the open skater free to receive a pass. This also applies for loose pucks, if a puck is loose in the left corner for example, the RD needs to stay away and let the LD chase it down...Too many times both Defenders (and sometimes a forward or two) chased a puck down leading to a cluster; this cluster makes it near impossible to pass the puck to a teammate due to proximity issues, and oftentimes the puck carrier becomes stuck on the other players, and ends up losing the puck to the eventual forechecker.

Positioning: Going with the last point, remember as a rule of thumb that (on defense) the wings should cover the point men, the D cover their side of the lower ice and eliminate any net crashers, and the Center puck chases or picks up the middle. I know it is tempting, but try not to puck chase as a wing and leave the top of the ice wide open. On offensive positioning, we pretty much execute well as is. Just try to have at least one forward in front of the net for tips and rebounds, ideally someone with high hand eye and offensive awareness.

Just some things to keep in mind as we play. We're on a roll right now and I'd like to keep that going. These tips above will help to eliminate some of the easier stuff we let in, and allow us to win those low scoring games more soundly.

I'll be around tonight to play if we have enough on, I'd like to get my legend card by the end of the weekend. I'm something like 19 games played out. I believe Tordah is even close than I am.

This has been Assistant Coach Divine Brophecy's tips for the day.

The Rev fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 22, 2013

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

The Rev posted:

Penalties: We are taking MUCH less, and in fact, drawing more. Bob especially, you had a whopping 0 PIM in that last game, which was 119 minutes of play. Yet you still led us all in hits, had a ton of shots on net, and played like a man possessed. Excellent job overall.

I actually have you to thank for that! Going from Grinder to Power Forward (with also meant better shot power/accuracy) and dropping a few inches/pounds made me focus more on actual offense and less on crippling people. I still have the usual brain cramp, but yeah that was a massive change.

I also agree 100% on the (sometimes) excessive passing on the PP. Maybe we should have a "maximum X passes before shooting" or "if you're open, SHOOT" clause :v:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Uniballer posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did. It was in overtime, right?

Well, you should probably come play with us in a couple of weeks when activity starts to dip down. As far as your build, half of our team is built that way, so you would fit in perfectly, although you should at least make attempts at scoring when you're playing with us.

I'm back for a little while now that VGHL is on (thanks for the invite Tordah!). Are you still pissed at me for killing you in GTA? If not, come play! Also, rock and legio, where you at??

The Rev posted:

Great games last night Dozers, many wins including a rage quit and a triple overtime that was 1 minute away from 4 OT. A few of us are now getting very close to our legend 1 cards, and one of us already has it.

"Lots of good words."

A few comments:

The Rev posted:

Puck Moving: The one thing I noticed more than anything else is the abundance of avoidable offsides we had last night. We had too many people carry the puck to the blue line and proceed to get either murdered, or attempt a deke which caused our other players to go offsides. The murders were worse, as it opened up a good amount of 2 on 1's, or breakaways. This is easily remedied by either dumping the puck, or passing the puck to someone else once you notice the other team is gunning for you. Similarly, if you are playing as a defender, and intend to take the puck in yourself when other teammates are in line or ahead of you, you need to let us know since it is assumed that most defensmen will pass the puck forward.

If I'm playing D, I'll pass it if I see an open player. If I don't, and I'm by the center line, you can assume that I'm going to dump it in or skate it in if I see an opening. Finally, if I don't see any way to break into the zone, I'm skating back and "resetting the breakout".

As for offsides, I think that was just Bob... :cheeky:

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

It's been great getting back into playing and I think were all starting to develops some chemistry again too, so I think games will only get better from here. Also, what's this email list, any chance I could get on it?

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Pretty wild how things turned around last night. Not that we played our BEST hockey every after those 4 drubbings, but it was certainly DECENT hockey. THose games we got pummeled were easily the worst I've ever been a part of in EASHL and we played like a bucket of pig puke.

So we have some takeaways, as we were discussing in-game:

- on breakouts and transitions to zone entries, forwards need to stop streaking to the blue line. Small skating adjustments. We're just a better team when we lower the tempo. The fastbreak pass has a place, but only against teams who are very dumb about not keeping defensemen backing up.

-this means forwards at different levels and in different lanes. KEEP SEPARATION. Always always be skating for an OPEN area of the ice, not just straight ahead.

-this goes double for puck carriers. There's just no excuse, ever, to be holding the puck and find yourself running into a D-man. If you're entering the zone and you're along the wall, either dump it in directly, cross-dump with the flip, or pinn the puck on the wall and pass it down the wall. Which you choose will depend how far away you have puck support. But again, this should rarely be an issue. It's always better to gain the zone while still in control of the puck, which means LESS BEELINING. I'm looking at you here Bob.

- on approaches to the net, don't just skate. change speeds. When you're playing D, you know how you'rte trying to kind of match speeds with the man you're on and slowly shutting him down from there? Think about how you as the puck carrier can gently caress with that. The answer is hesitation and speed changes.

-in the o-zone, we do great work when we get it into the corner and then make a quick pass around the net, or back up to the point. We're less successful when we pullup at the half boards and lob a desperation pass into the slot. Forwards in the zone, don't automatically skate at the net. Again, find open ice and keep moving, but not necessarily skating max speed. Open ice is where the puck will end up going, if the carrier is smart.

- Tordah, we're so loving sorry.

That's about it for now I think.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/clubs/NHL14PS3/22213/overview

10-26-2013, never forget. RIP Killdozers - There were no survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
I'm pretty sure I know what that is. Nobody click on it, maybe it will just go away.

edit: for real, they have a 70-45 record? So does that mean that at a certain point they stop hitting and try to score? Where do you think that point is, 150 hits? 200?

• Locked thread