Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

tuyop posted:

So how much do you allocate for Canadian poo poo?

Zero. I decided that my wife and I having jobs in Canada was enough exposure to the Canadian economy, when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Zero. I decided that my wife and I having jobs in Canada was enough exposure to the Canadian economy, when you think about it.

Zero is too harsh for me, but there is logic in this thinking for sure. Anyone on the order of 50% Canadian weighted - not uncommon - is positively nuts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lexicon posted:

Zero is too harsh for me, but there is logic in this thinking for sure. Anyone on the order of 50% Canadian weighted - not uncommon - is positively nuts.

This is why keeping anything more than the minimum required in your ESOP is dumb. You're already significantly exposed to your employer through your salary, you don't need to be a shareholder as well.

E: I mean if you work for a tech company that's going to quadruple in a year then go nuts I guess, but otherwise there is very little reason to do so.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is why keeping anything more than the minimum required in your ESOP is dumb. You're already significantly exposed to your employer through your salary, you don't need to be a shareholder as well.

E: I mean if you work for a tech company that's going to quadruple in a year then go nuts I guess, but otherwise there is very little reason to do so.

Couldn't agree more. By all means take the free money if any, but diversify out of that poo poo ASAP.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Lexicon posted:

Couldn't agree more. By all means take the free money if any, but diversify out of that poo poo ASAP.

Buy a house instead :v:

dont do this for 'investment' reasons

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Personally, I have 15% of the equity side of my portfolio in Canada, but I don't have a large nonregistered account- in fact, the only thing I can't fit in my TFSA/RRSP is some of my holdings of VCN.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Today's shaping up to be a rough one on the markets - roughest for a while, anyway. Stay strong comrades!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Today's shaping up to be a rough one on the markets - roughest for a while, anyway. Stay strong comrades!

Stock sale!

On the month that we replaced our clutch, paid for wife's tuition, and need to buy like 2500 in plane tickets. :smithicide:

So I should take money out of our student loan to buy some stocks, right? It's interest free until we both graduate in like five years!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So wtf is going on

e: omg lol http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-25/china-foreign-exchange-watchdog-finds-10-billion-in-fake-trade.html

gently caress you china

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 25, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Stock sale!

On the month that we replaced our clutch, paid for wife's tuition, and need to buy like 2500 in plane tickets. :smithicide:

So I should take money out of our student loan to buy some stocks, right? It's interest free until we both graduate in like five years!

Hastily buying, especially with leverage, is just as unwise as hastily selling. Just follow your normal purchase/rebalance schedule (for me that means: buy ETFs every 2 months in rough order of what's most out of allocation, and rebalance totally once a year).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yay The Four Pillars of Investing arrived today.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Yay The Four Pillars of Investing arrived today.

Be prepared to never talk to your friends about money matters again.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rats forex traders that beat hedge fund managers.

quote:

I am now working on a software generating real time ticker tracks in... If the performance is good, I will keep the experiment going and either setup an own hedge fund managed by my rats or train rats to work for hedge funds and banks...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Quick question about contributing to e-series: If someone was going to contribute, say, $100 per month, would it be possible to only buy $25 worth of each of the four funds?

I'm looking at some of the information on these funds, and I'm seeing something about a minimum $100 investment per fund. Is this refering to something else? For reference: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/funds/summary/?id=52602

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bucswabe posted:

Quick question about contributing to e-series: If someone was going to contribute, say, $100 per month, would it be possible to only buy $25 worth of each of the four funds?

I'm looking at some of the information on these funds, and I'm seeing something about a minimum $100 investment per fund. Is this refering to something else? For reference: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/funds/summary/?id=52602

I had that exact setup until I switched to ETFs a year ago. Weekly purchases of 25/25/25/25.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Lexicon posted:

I had that exact setup until I switched to ETFs a year ago. Weekly purchases of 25/25/25/25.

Appreciate that! By any chance, so you know if you could go even lower? Could you buy $10 in one? May be even $5?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bucswabe posted:

Appreciate that! By any chance, so you know if you could go even lower? Could you buy $10 in one? May be even $5?

I think 25 is the minimum for automation - but even if it weren't - any less and you're starting to hit pointless territory. Adjust your frequency if you want to spend less.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The periodic contribution limit is generally smaller than the initial limit. Many funds start at $1000 with subsequent at $100.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Somewhat OT but is anyone else unable to login to their MBNA CC after their system upgrade? I re-enrolled fine but now I get an error logging in. Really wary of calling support and waiting for 30 minutes to have some goober tell me gently caress all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Somewhat OT but is anyone else unable to login to their MBNA CC after their system upgrade? I re-enrolled fine but now I get an error logging in. Really wary of calling support and waiting for 30 minutes to have some goober tell me gently caress all.

You have to entirely re-register your card. This TD migration has been an enormous clusterfuck- par for the course for banking tech I suppose.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

You need to re-enroll. It said this in the letter you would have got like a month ago detailing the upgrade process.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I did re-enroll. That's what I meant when I said "I re-enrolled fine". I know reading is tough but come on.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
*shrug* re-enrolling and logging in works for me, but from what I hear it's a poo poo show

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The only shitshow was the five security questions I had to provide answers for. So many 25-character strings of random numbers and letters to copy and enter into Lastpass. :qq:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Does anyone use 1password or anything else like lastpass? What's the difference?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Does anyone use 1password or anything else like lastpass? What's the difference?

You're crazy if you don't, at this point.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Can't comment on lastpass but I now use 1password and in the past use keepass.

I like 1password because it works across everything via dropbox. I have multiple macs which sync the 1passdb.

I like their "1password" anywhere feature. In the event I don't have access to the computers with 1password installed and I need access to my passwords (ie. at work.) I just login to dropbox and there is a "html" based version which you can launch within dropbox.

If I recall, lastpass stores your passwords in the "cloud" which I'm not too comfortable with personally. I know dropbox is on the cloud as well, but it's an encrypted file from the client.

Also, in regards to the Canadian investments a couple posts above, I have 75% in the Canadian market, and 25% in East/Asian markets through Great West Life. Probably like 5k total though at the moment. I play with US stocks in a separate brokerage account with separate funds.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I've been using Lastpass for a couple of years now. The main differences that I can see are:

Lastpass: Subscription model ($1/month)
1Password: Freemium/client purchase model (OS X is like a one-time $50 or something)

Lastpass: Web client with apps
1Password: Multi-platform apps and synced cloud backups (see lol internet.'s post)

Both have:
Browser extensions
Smartphone apps
Password generators
Autocomplete poo poo
Etc.

I recommend Lastpass because you can just buy like three years of full-featured service now and get everything you need without having to futz around. Also, I prefer a web client to a cloud-synced backup for convenience. Two-factor authentication mitigates any concern that I might have about someone getting my data off of Lastpass's site somehow (like, if someone gets my Google password off of LP, they'll have to get my cell phone too, which is a silly thing to be paranoid about).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I currently use lastpass and it's pretty good. It's just that they lost root certificate or something 5 years ago and their entire vault was busted in. I stopped using dropbox when they made condi a board member.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I use Keepass with my password database stored in my Google drive, Keepass2Android on my mobile.
Just be careful not to lock yourself out if you ever change your Google password. :v:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend a travel rewards credit card? Preferably with no annual fee, but a small one is OK if it nets me some benefits. I currently have 8k in available credit on cards that don't carry balances but don't offer me anything in the way of rewards.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Ashley Madison posted:

Can anyone recommend a travel rewards credit card? Preferably with no annual fee, but a small one is OK if it nets me some benefits. I currently have 8k in available credit on cards that don't carry balances but don't offer me anything in the way of rewards.

I'd say this is a good place to start:
http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2014/#rankings

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I think the Capital One Aspire Travel card is still pretty hard to beat. $120 annual fee, but $100 worth of points on renewal so it works out to $20/yr net for a 2% return card with good insurance coverage. The redemption tiers can be annoying but I've yet to redeem for anything less than the full 2% back. Worst case, you can take 1.5% as an account credit.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

spoof posted:

I think the Capital One Aspire Travel card is still pretty hard to beat. $120 annual fee, but $100 worth of points on renewal so it works out to $20/yr net for a 2% return card with good insurance coverage. The redemption tiers can be annoying but I've yet to redeem for anything less than the full 2% back. Worst case, you can take 1.5% as an account credit.

Absolutely.

Although if you take Westjet a lot, it's hard to beat the Westjet RBC World Elite Mastercard. The annual $99 companion flight as well as no fee for baggage could really add up over time.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
National Post is reporting Harper is going to jack up the TFSA limit to $10g/year. Party time! :toot:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/03/harper-government-to-hand-voters-spring-tax-cuts-aided-by-shrinking-federal-deficit/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

reflex posted:

National Post is reporting Harper is going to jack up the TFSA limit to $10g/year. Party time! :toot:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10/03/harper-government-to-hand-voters-spring-tax-cuts-aided-by-shrinking-federal-deficit/

How can that only cost $30M a year? I know most people are idiots and waste or don't use their TFSA room, but there's no way that figure captures the loss of taxation now and in perpetuity of all those dividends and cap gains of all those accounts.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lexicon posted:

How can that only cost $30M a year? I know most people are idiots and waste or don't use their TFSA room, but there's no way that figure captures the loss of taxation now and in perpetuity of all those dividends and cap gains of all those accounts.

$30m per year in tax losses suggests $100m in annual earnings (30% tax rate) on investments which implies a principal balance of $2b on average (5% return) underlying that assumption. This doesn't feel crazy to me at all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

$30m per year in tax losses suggests $100m in annual earnings (30% tax rate) on investments which implies a principal balance of $2b on average (5% return) underlying that assumption. This doesn't feel crazy to me at all.

But it's not just this year's tax sheltering. It's this and all future years.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lexicon posted:

But it's not just this year's tax sheltering. It's this and all future years.

I haven't seen the statement but I'd wager he means annual costs not life of program costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I haven't seen the statement but I'd wager he means annual costs not life of program costs.

Yeah - your analysis is definitely consistent with that. It's a pretty disingenuous thing to state and/or report though - the true cost to the national coffers resulting from such a policy is far, far higher. As an investor and wealth-maximizing agent I welcome it, but as a citizen, it's at least slightly concerning, as let's be honest - the vast, vast majority of that expenditure will be realized by rich people.