Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There's got to be something messed up with Gregor though, since Qyburn gave the camera a wink and said "He'll be changed" last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There's got to be something messed up with Gregor though, since Qyburn gave the camera a wink and said "He'll be changed" last season.

He'll be an unstopable killing machine, he'll just have his head. Maybe Qyburn will need more victims to keep him going like in the books.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
He'll be portrayed by a different actor. Qyburn broke the fourth wall.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BillBear posted:

Is there any source on Kevan's sighting? I can't see any when I google it.

Edit: Nevermind it was posted above, awesome I loved Kevan in the books and I hope he gets some justice from D&D.

Ballz did only say "semi-confirmed", though. WatchersontheWall says "a man reminscent of (but still unconfirmed as) Kevan Lannister."

If it's Kevan, then I guess they may have gotten a different actor.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
It's not said if we can see the Mountain's head. The website probably just refers to him as the Mountain rather than Robert Strong.

And it wouldn't make any sense, Dorne will be pissed off already and making Gregor King's Guard would only add more salt to the wound.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Harton posted:

Yeah the constant rape and the black demon semen. Plus after the entire first book I still didn't care about the world or a single character in it. He seemed to introduce new female characters with absolutely no personality who did nothing besides travel with 2 dudes and trade off getting raped by both of them. That was after he introduced the other female character who gets raped by the black semen dude. I doubt I'll ever go back to it and pick up the second book. It was a chore to finish the first one.

Everyone always goes on about the black semen. It was one time!

The Serwe stuff was gratuitous GrimDark though, I agree.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

To be honest I just wanted to type "black demon semen"

Edit: It's even more fun to say out loud at work and get weird looks from the clerical staff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Let me once again recommend the Preston Jacobs youtube channel, as he is currently losing his mind trying to explain how the House Darry are the puppet masters that started the War of the Five Kings. Who are the House Darry? I've got no loving idea either.

If the Winds of Winter takes more than a year, I fully expect him to lay out how *picks a random name out of the appendix* Bryce Caron is Azor Ahai.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BillBear posted:

It's not said if we can see the Mountain's head. The website probably just refers to him as the Mountain rather than Robert Strong.

Yeah, I was thinking that, there's not enough information to say whether they're dropping the Robert Strong plot.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Kainser posted:

I really hope Kevan gets a semi-major role.

They should probably change the actor. That first guy was a little boring. I mean he had like 3 seconds of screen time so maybe I'm wrong, but if they give Kevan a big Oberon style presence in the next season they should get a great scene stealing actor on board. The problem though is that he can't be anything remotely similar to Tywin or else it will look weird, like they are trying to just do Tywin-light. He has to be totally different, yet still command the scene. Is there anyway to be awesome and also boring? That sounds like who they should cast. Boring and awesome at the same time.

Curious what they will do with him.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

lifts cats over head posted:

Oh god, that's it. "He'll be changed because he'll be played by the same actor." It's Zen.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I hope they don't do too much. At this point, I think the main conflict in KL should be between Cersei and the Tyrells (and the Faith). An overactive Kevan would spoil it.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

lifts cats over head posted:

And accordingly, Beric Dondarrion will be played by Michelle Fairley this year.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A non-boring Kevan would be monstrous and I won't stand for it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Fat Pink Mast was only one time as well, and you don't see anybody shutting up about that either.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I always imagined Kevan Lannister as looking like a slightly taller, fatter ridley Scott. Sadly Tony Scott is dead.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Fat Pink Mast was only one time as well, and you don't see anybody shutting up about that either.

Fat Pink Mast was the sequel to Manhood Glistened Wetly.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

There was also Tyrion's purple mushroom, or something like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

They should probably change the actor. That first guy was a little boring. I mean he had like 3 seconds of screen time so maybe I'm wrong, but if they give Kevan a big Oberon style presence in the next season they should get a great scene stealing actor on board. The problem though is that he can't be anything remotely similar to Tywin or else it will look weird, like they are trying to just do Tywin-light. He has to be totally different, yet still command the scene. Is there anyway to be awesome and also boring? That sounds like who they should cast. Boring and awesome at the same time.

Nah, what Kevan needs to be is just competent. Sort of a Littlefinger character, but less of an ego. Make him an administrator that's outwardly trusting but secretly very good at his job.

I guess the closest I can think of is Season 1 Frank Underwood (before you found out he was gunning for the VP position).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 11, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Regy Rusty posted:

A non-boring Kevan would be monstrous and I won't stand for it.

Yeah, that was always my take on Kevan Lannister from the books. Second son that has gotten used to being completely overshadowed by Tywin, and so grew up into a quiet, unassuming, boring sort of guy who was competent enough to do the jobs Tywin asked of him but didn't really have any ambition to do more. I don't know how well that would translate onscreen, though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Mance's plan wasn't that stupid, sending Jon along with the raiding party was though. Why let the untrustworthy recruit tag along on the most critical part of your offense, where he could sabotage your plans and be relatively unsupervised.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Mance's plan wasn't that stupid, sending Jon along with the raiding party was though. Why let the untrustworthy recruit tag along on the most critical part of your offense, where he could sabotage your plans and be relatively unsupervised.

He knows plenty about the Wall and its partols, he knew Jon wouldn't climb up where there would be rangers partolling. He also knew Jon couldn't just flee when under the watchful eye of Tormund or try anything funny.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BillBear posted:

He knows plenty about the Wall and its partols, he knew Jon wouldn't climb up where there would be rangers partolling. He also knew Jon couldn't just flee when under the watchful eye of Tormund or try anything funny.

He's still taking unnecessary risks, yeah he took some countermeasures but surely it's much safer to just keep Jon away from the only part of the plan a spy could possibly sabotage, it's also safer to keep him north of the wall among tens of thousands of wildlings where you can make sure he can't do anything funny.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have a feeling Kevan will wind up being like Tywin, but with a softer side.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He's still taking unnecessary risks, yeah he took some countermeasures but surely it's much safer to just keep Jon away from the only part of the plan a spy could possibly sabotage, it's also safer to keep him north of the wall among tens of thousands of wildlings where you can make sure he can't do anything funny.

He could of done that but it would be pretty useless, why use your only fresh night's watch member in the vast wildling army where he will likely get murdered, when you can take the risk and use him to help scale the wall, sure it's risky but as far as Mance is concerned total victory is going to happen no matter what and Jon wouldn't even put a dent in his invasion, even if he killed Tormund's party and alerted the watch. He figured Jon knew the night's watch had no chance of winning and he would rather be free with Ygritte than dead fighting one pointless war for people who spit on him due to his birth.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah without Stannis showing up all Mance had to do was keep throwing bodies at the wall till it was his. They had pretty much won until he makes his charge. And Jon had pretty much betrayed him as much as possible by then. I don't think Jon changing sides really mattered at all in terms of the battle.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It did though, it doomed the members of the raiding party and made the main force suffer heavy losses during an undesired siege. If you plan a surprise attack, and you have a possible spy in your crew, you take the necessary precautions to make sure that he won't spoil the surprise attack.

The in book justification is that Jon knows the wall better than anyone else in Mance's crew, which is for starters rather odd as Mance probably had scouts observing the possible scaling points for weeks, on top of that, there really isn't much to know about the wall and the night's watch, the attack didn't really rely on any intel Jon could provide.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it mattered in the short term but not in the long run. So he lost another 1000 guys out of his 500000 or whatever he had. In the end it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And yet, it was kinda pointless and thus silly?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it was kinda silly.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
What else is Jon gonna do, sit on the wall for another book?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And yet, it was kinda pointless and thus silly?

If there is a recurring theme in this series it's that people make bad decisions.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hey, the Season 5 Spoiler thread is going up tomorrow sometime. I'll post a link here of course but, y'know, I thought a head's up would be nice.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: A Clever Book Reference That's Ultimately Cut From the Show.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Even better when it shows up as

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Game of Thrones SPOILER Thread: A Clever Book Reference That's Ultimately Cu...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Game of Thrones Spoiler Thread: So Much Aegon Our Faces

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Still no mention of The Greyjoy three, casting wise...

I think it's safe to assume they're out at this point.

I'm also assuming that like Greatjohn Umber, Blackfish and Edmure have hosed off into the land of 'we can't be arsed dealing with that'.

At this point I'm imagining season 5 is going to be like that episode of Bottom when they try to play chess with only a third of a set.

This is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
New thread this way.

• Locked thread