Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the show generally sticks pretty closely to only showing things directly observed by a character, so a classic flashback is likely out. I suppose the most likely option would be through one of Bran's scenes, either by having one of the Reeds tell him about their father's experience there or by directly showing it in a green dream of Bran's.

That must be the answer. They would be breaking their own visual structure if they did it any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Minster posted:

Yup, i am stupid because i haven't read the books. They say you could pass the first book, because it goes just like the first season.

At least you admit it.

And really, at least people who only watch the show have the excuse that they don't know any better. Some of the 'book people' are infinitely more retarded despite what their smugness would imply, and I have a lovely example to share with you all.

I don't know if this has come up in the thread before, so forgive me if it has. I mention fanfiction a lot, and now I get to talk about published fanfiction, a lovely, totally original and not a rip-off book 'A THRONE OF BONES' the first book in the 'Arts of Dark and Light' series! Written by the great VOX DAY.

"Know that A THRONE OF BONES was in fact written as a direct response both to the specific flaws of Martin's latest "Song of Ice and Fire" novel, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, and to certain trends in the fantasy genre generally."

"Vox Day is a writer and game designer. His interests include economics, history, technology, and wargames. He has written nine books, including "Summa Elvetica: A Casuistry of the Elvish Controversy" and "The Return of the Great Depression," and speaks three languages. He is a non-denominational Christian and has been recognized as one of the Internet's most influential libertarians."

And if that doesn't set off enough alarm bells, enjoy the books official description.

In Selenoth, the race of Man is on the ascendant. The ancient dragons sleep. The ghastly Witchkings are no more; their evil power destroyed by the courage of Men and the fearsome magic of the Elves. The Dwarves have retreated to the kingdoms of the Underdeep, the trolls hide in their mountains, and even the savage orc tribes have learned to dread the iron discipline of Amorr's mighty legions. But after four hundred years of mutual suspicion, the rivalry between two of the Houses Martial that rule the Amorran Senate threatens to turn violent, and unrest sparks rebellion throughout the imperial provinces. In the north, the barbarian reavers who have long plagued the coasts of the White Sea beg for the royal protection of the King of Savondir, as they flee a vicious race of wolf-demons. In the east, the war drums echo throughout the mountains as orcs and goblins gather in great numbers, summoned by their bestial gods. And when the Most Holy and Sanctified Father is found dead in his bed, leaving the Ivory Throne of the Apostles unclaimed, the temptation to seize the Sacred College and wield Holy Mother Church as a weapon is more than some fallen souls can resist.

(Also I just noticed, is the very first sentence of the description grammatically wrong? Shouldn't that be 'the race of Man is on the ascent'?)

Is this even legal? I mean he does make his work 'original' by ripping off every other fantasy author too, but this is clearly him just making money off of GRRM's name and works. The other baffling thing about it is the fact that it gets good reviews, but considering those reviews seem to mention things like 'there's none of the often rather embarrassing friskiness displayed in GoT which I believe does simply not belong in fantasy' and 'he added the whole Tolkien races back (orcs/goblins, elves, dwarves, etc), what I sorely missed in GoT' I think it might just be Fantasy fans being retarded. I mean admittedly I don't read much fantasy, but that's because so much of it is just awfully written and/or completely copy/pasted from other fantasy stories. Maybe that's part of the appeal?

I'm sorely tempted to actually buy it and read it, but do I really want to spend money on 900 pages of admitted fanfiction, that from it's description sounds like it took everything unique and interesting out of ASOIAF and stuck in everything I hate about modern fantasy. That and reading something written by ONE OF THE INTERNETS MOST INFLUENTIAL LIBERTARIANS seems like one of the worst ways to spend money.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 9, 2014

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That doesn't seem like it even has very much to do with ASOIAF beyond the one smug namedrop and the "A Noun of Nouns" title scheme. I mean there are barbarians of the north fleeing south from some random supernatural threat, I guess, and a notable chair made of a mildly unusual material, but it all just sounds way too generic and unfocused to even be a ripoff. Dude just wrote something very close to the platonic ideal of the lovely personality-less fantasy novel, and maybe he did so because he didn't like ADWD and decided he could do better. (Or maybe he attached that idea to it later.)

Also, I read that one-paragraph description and I feel like it was 900 dense but empty pages long all by itself. I can't tell you what to do with your money but I wouldn't spend mine to read a whole novel's worth of bad MMO backstory.

e: one thing that makes it sound the way it does (and pushes it far away from what makes ASOIAF interesting) is that it mentions exactly two specific characters. One of them is just "the King of Savondir" and the other is dead.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 10, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just got the vibe that Joff was being set on some kind of redemptive arc by having Marg influence and move him away from his sadsitic brat character. Yes he still does terrible things, but we saw inklings that he may be able to change.

And god drat they run ads for season 4 a lot. It and cap 2 start the same weekend, so its a double can't wait.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIASaUUwklk

Mother loving Braavos bitches!.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 10, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea, Titan of Braavos looks awesome.

Also, looks like Jon getting arrested. And Ramsey and Roose meeting.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 10, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Well I guess it's confirmed Bronn is going to be Jaime's training partner. Which is good, Bronn is awesome.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Obligatory post saying that the Titan is loving awesome.

Also Littlefinger with part of one of his magnificent bastard speeches. Hopefully he sounds like that in the show now rather than the strange accent he had in season 3.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Hype level approaching maximum. I love what they do with these trailers every year

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized the Cap 2 and GoT season 4 start within a day of each other. It's like a second Christmas.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I can't lie, I actually screamed out loud when I saw that :dance:

Did anyone else notice that at 0:32 there's a voiceover of Littlefinger saying "if they don't know who you are" when they show Daario 2.0? I think the editors were having a laugh.

meet girls at the store fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2014

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
In the scene where Ramsay and Roose meet, you can see Locke in the background getting off of a horse.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I still can't get over how Ramsay looks like a malevolent Hobbit.

(Him meeting Roose is going to own :allears:)

Kainser fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 10, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Second favorite shot: Tywin on the Iron Throne looking pissed the gently caress off.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't wait to see the Titan of Braavos on the opening map.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm so glad they aren't doing that dumbass 'Arya wanders around Westeros with an Obi Wan style Faceless Man to teach her the ways' idea that I heard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Moridin920 posted:

I'm so glad they aren't doing that dumbass 'Arya wanders around Westeros with an Obi Wan style Faceless Man to teach her the ways' idea that I heard.

"Murder is what gives a Faceless Man his power. It's an energy field created by all dying things. It surrounds us and penetrates our target's liver. It binds the planet together."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ballz posted:

Second favorite shot: Tywin on the Iron Throne looking pissed the gently caress off.

Why does that link to my Avatar?

http://wicnet.tumblr.com/ Has all the usual awesome screen shots.

One clearly shows a Stannis style helmet guy riding someone down in the snow
A sexy leg in a bed with Tyrion looking on
Jaime and Cersei about to snog in the Great Sept
Aformentioned Tywin on the throne with Obyern flanking him, can't see the person on the right
Yara fighting someone
Sansa in her own sleeping chamber

And more!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

twistedmentat posted:

Aformentioned Tywin on the throne with Obyern flanking him, can't see the person on the right

You can't see him properly, but I'm guessing it's Mace Tyrell. We saw him sitting in the same spot in a different trailer I think?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

twistedmentat posted:

Why does that link to my Avatar?

It's my reaction in Archer form to seeing the Titan. :shobon:

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

webmeister posted:

You can't see him properly, but I'm guessing it's Mace Tyrell. We saw him sitting in the same spot in a different trailer I think?

Almost certainly is, since that shot is probably from the trial.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ballz posted:

It's my reaction in Archer form to seeing the Titan. :shobon:

Understandable!

And yea, my first instinct was that its Mace.

I can't help but think that the sexy leg Tyrion picture is him seeing Shae in Tywin's bed.

There is a nagging feeling i have they are not going to kill Ygritte. At least at this point. Kill her later in some fight with a White Walker saving Jon or something heroic, rather than dying in a pointless attack. Though my fears are put at ease there is no shots of her and Jon together.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

twistedmentat posted:

I can't help but think that the sexy leg Tyrion picture is him seeing Shae in Tywin's bed.

That was my thought as well. It definitely looks like the Tower of the Hand, and I doubt Tyrion will be visiting there very often this season!

Also the Titan of Braavos looks loving amazing, and really fits with how I'd pictured the city and harbour. I guess we're going to see Arya going there for sure this season (not just hopping on a boat)?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

webmeister posted:

That was my thought as well. It definitely looks like the Tower of the Hand, and I doubt Tyrion will be visiting there very often this season!

Also the Titan of Braavos looks loving amazing, and really fits with how I'd pictured the city and harbour. I guess we're going to see Arya going there for sure this season (not just hopping on a boat)?

Not necessarily. I believe there's solid indication Stannis will be paying the Iron Bank a visit this season, so that may be where we get our first introduction to Braavos.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Dialogue between Oberyn and Cersei? Interesting...it sounds like its post-Joffrey dying too because its all about avenging loss, this'll definitely be interesting.

This whole "Jon goes to fight the deserters" storyline seems really....dumb though.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 10, 2014

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Ballz posted:

Not necessarily. I believe there's solid indication Stannis will be paying the Iron Bank a visit this season, so that may be where we get our first introduction to Braavos.

Oh thats a good point. I figured the most we would see of it is possibly Arya just arriving in Ep. 10 but that idea makes more sense, especially as they've cast the Braavosi banker guy. And Stannis does need to do something this season.

Mike N Eich posted:

Dialogue between Oberyn and Cersei? Interesting...it sounds like its post-Joffrey dying too because its all about avenging loss, this'll definitely be interesting.

This whole "Jon goes to fight the deserters" storyline seems really....dumb though.

I'm assuming it'll have something to do with him proving himself to the NW men that hes not a wildling turncoat or what ever.

Also...

Benjen apparently turned into a wildling.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 10, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

drat right. :gizz:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's a shot of Stannis and Davos on a boat, but also a Stannis cavalryman hacking down a wildling, so we know that Stannis will leave Dragonstone and go to the wall, but there's enough time if he leave early enough to go to Braavos before going there.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Murder is what gives a Faceless Man his power. It's an energy field created by all dying things. It surrounds us and penetrates our target's liver. It binds the planet together."
"I've been thinking. What are midi-morghulians?"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dat budget. It's everywhere! I assume that siege shot is Dany taking Meereen? That looked amazing.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
True Detective is a pretty good show, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqy18zRDNBc

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

quote:

Seriously. Joff is THE most hated character in popular culture since Jar Jar Binks. No one needs to remind people.

I'm just guessing the show will want to show storm clouds in paradise, especially since they've actually done some work at fleshing out the Tyrells and Marg in particular. Bragging rights if I'm right, or I selectively forget it if I'm wrong.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How the gently caress are they going to explain/avoid explaining the Daario actor change in-show? He looks so different.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

How the gently caress are they going to explain/avoid explaining the Daario actor change in-show? He looks so different.

Warlock magic, obviously.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

"You look different Dario! Did you change your hair?"
"Yes! I was wondering if you would notice!"
And then they will never ever mention it again.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Hedrigall posted:

"Always keep your foes confused. If they don't know who you are..." - Aidan Gillen, over a shot of new Daario. Daario is Littlefinger is Jaqen H'ghar is Syrio, confirmed.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

One of the most confusing things to me about Littlefinger's weird accent is that his natural Irish accent would probably have worked great for the character.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hedrigall posted:

The same why the explain the continuous changes of the Mountains actor.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Also...

Benjen apparently turned into a wildling.
Or Ichabod Crane did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh man, don't you loving tease me with Tom Mison being stealth-cast into this show. That might actually make me care.

• Locked thread