Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

Her little sister didn't even need her child to die to go insane.

Well, actually she did lose a child come to think of it...

She lost five, the seed was not strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

hellbastard posted:

Uh, what happened [with Daario being recast]?

I looked at Ed Skrein's twitter and he says he's in South Africa filming something until mid-late October. Maybe this thing? (It does say they're filming in SA). It seems like a weird thing to pass up Game of Thrones for, but who knows.

In other casting news, WiC.net says that they have someone playing Lady Waynwood, notable mostly for being Harry the Heir's guardian. Between that and Bronze Yohn being cast I wonder if that means they'll be going into Sansa's AFFC storyline a bit? Or else it's for an added scene like Littlefinger and Lysa Arryn's wedding or something that takes place before Lysa gets offed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris? Huh.

Not to bring up skin-colour-chat again, but for some reason I'd always pictured Tycho as black? No idea why, as I know most of the braavosi are described as vaguely Italian-looking.

Good to see Indira Varma making an appearance as well, I really rated her in Rome.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

computer parts posted:

Actually, it seems pretty in-character. the "joke" or subversion at the end will be that Brienne will be applauded for it because she killed the monster that was killing everyone in the Riverlands (that wasn't Gregor).

That certainly would be the case, since Brienne's oath would be far less well known than Jaime the Kingsguard's oath was.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Yureina posted:

That certainly would be the case, since Brienne's oath would be far less well known than Jaime the Kingsguard's oath was.

Well I think people would look more kindly on Jaime's actions too if Aerys were a literal zombie.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

webmeister posted:

Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris? Huh.

Not to bring up skin-colour-chat again, but for some reason I'd always pictured Tycho as black? No idea why, as I know most of the braavosi are described as vaguely Italian-looking.

The only thing I remember about his description is his hat. That hat needs to be spectacular.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Unkempt posted:

The only thing I remember about his description is his hat. That hat needs to be spectacular.

Yeah same here. I don't even remember what the hat was supposed to look like. I just pictured it as a purple pope hat for some reason.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Metropolis posted:

Yeah same here. I don't even remember what the hat was supposed to look like. I just pictured it as a purple pope hat for some reason.

Its a triple decker top hat I think

Edit: The wiki does a drat good job for once! Still not large enough

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 16, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They're too small to stand on their own - better to be the sole vassal of your nephew than one of many vassals to some twit you don't care about.

Not to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, but if you recall the first book it's because Cat essentially started the war by grabbing Tyrion. Once that happened the Lannisters surrounded Ned, killed his posse and wounded him and Gregor crossed into the Riverlands and began to rape and pillage everything in his way.

Ned as Regeant then stripped him of his title and everything else and called Tywin a fucktard and told him to come to face trial. It was shortly after robert bit the big poo poo sandwich and Ned was imprisoned. The West and the Riverlands were fighting before the North raised their banners. Not the other way round. As the North came south, the west rode east to meet them and they met on the riverlands who're being pillaged for the western forces to survive.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

BlindSite posted:

Not to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat, but if you recall the first book it's because Cat essentially started the war by grabbing Tyrion.

Or you could say that Jamie or Joffrey started the war by trying to kill Bran.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhaegar started the war by being so loving awesome that Lyanna fell for his hot bishie rear end.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Superhaus posted:

Or you could say that Jamie or Joffrey started the war by trying to kill Bran.

This is what I believe, personally. Catelyn might have been a bit rash, but it was a move that I find easy to understand. Jaime's is too, similarly. Joffrey naturally is just a cruel fucker who doesn't think.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Since we're going 'round and 'round with the who-started-the-war-actually-for-real argument again, I guess I should bring up Lysa Arryn's secret letter to Cately where she falsely accuses the Lannisters of murdering Jon Arryn. Ya know, just to complicate things and muddy the waters.

Littlefinger! :argh:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Rhaegar started the war by being so loving awesome that Lyanna fell for his hot bishie rear end.

Stupid sexy Rhaegar!

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

not this argument again, it goes on forever... Short version: Ser Barristan Selmy is to blame

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Baldbeard posted:

George loves to say in interviews how he likes the idea that being brought back from the dead leaves characters somehow broken. We see Drogo's total ruin after being saved by the shaman and Dondarrion's uneasy feeling that some of him has been left behind. That's a pretty huge variance, and so I'm super curious as to how far gone Cat is. If she embraces here cynical/revenge side, there's plenty to play of off. But really I hope the red wedding absolutely broke her, and she's a total monster now.

I think how she acted when she thought Bran was dying was a foreshadowing of how she will act now. She went basically batshit insane, and we saw actual cruelness. Now magnify that a hundreds times and you have her state of mind at the red wedding......and now break her further through bringing her back. She has to be nuts.

Good points. When we finally meet LS in the show, she could be busy making those windcatchers again. Lots of them. From Frey scalps and ribbones this time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hellbastard posted:

not this argument again, it goes on forever... Short version: Ser Barristan Selmy is to blame

Careful, we'll run into the previous war!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

hobbesmaster posted:

Careful, we'll run into the previous war!

Ugh, I hope not. It's always so awkward. It's not that I don't like my ex-war, we got along really well during those few years of havoc and carnage, so don't get me wrong. I'm not a pacifist or anything. We just ended on crummy terms and sometimes I'm at the transit station and I see a civil war on the opposite platform, and I think "oh gently caress, is that Robert's Rebellion?"

Then the next day, I get a Facebook message from Robert's Rebellion, asking how I'm doing, and I wish so badly I could just move out of King's Landing. I hear it's expensive in Lannisport, but it's on the far coast and they have bike paths, so...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its really awkward when the ninepenny kings and robert's rebellion run into each other...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ugh, I hope not. It's always so awkward. It's not that I don't like my ex-war, we got along really well during those few years of havoc and carnage, so don't get me wrong. I'm not a pacifist or anything. We just ended on crummy terms and sometimes I'm at the transit station and I see a civil war on the opposite platform, and I think "oh gently caress, is that Robert's Rebellion?"

Then the next day, I get a Facebook message from Robert's Rebellion, asking how I'm doing, and I wish so badly I could just move out of King's Landing. I hear it's expensive in Lannisport, but it's on the far coast and they have bike paths, so...

Man, there is nothing I hate more than going to a party and finding out Greyjoy Rebellion is there too. God, that war was such a mistake. I was rebounding from Robert's Rebellion pretty hard and it seemed like a fun, harmless little bloody-call, but now it's constantly asking around to see if I'm warring again so it can try to start something up, and it's like wow get over it. What was it, like, two battles and some light raiding? And yeah, I admit it, I sieged the home islands a little bit too, but it meant nothing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Nobody believes me that I'm in a war right now. It's totally awesome, there are giants, ice elves, and wildlings. It's north of the wall so you'll probably never meet them.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Its a triple decker top hat I think

Edit: The wiki does a drat good job for once! Still not large enough

How about this

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Unkempt posted:

How about this

Split the beard in three and make it blue. If ~*~Daario~*~ isn't gonna have it give it to SOMEONE.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just watch the new Daario have the blue beards for no explained reason.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

bobjr posted:

Just watch the new Daario have the blue beards for no explained reason.

I doubt it. The recast will throw people enough already without that bizarre hair.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This would be the perfect opportunity for him to sport a blue forked beard. Cover up the recasting through distraction.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I just reread one of the Sansa chapters from AFFC, the one where the lords of the Vale try to unseat littlefinger and there's something I can't believe I missed the first time through: uh, is Lyn Corbray a pedophile? Cause Littlefinger says something about him having "simple tastes," specifically money, little boys, and blood.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

This would be the perfect opportunity for him to sport a blue forked beard. Cover up the recasting through distraction.

Oh boy i can wait for the speculation that he is actually Jaqen H'ghar.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It might be easier to list characters that aren't pedophiles.

Remember, Sansa is 13.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

It might be easier to list characters that aren't pedophiles.

Remember, Sansa is 13.

No I mean, like, a gay pedophile of prepubescents, like Sandusky. Raping little boys is just so much more sensational than teenage girls.

Also, since everyone in Westeros is into 13 year old girls as it is this would actually set him apart.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 17, 2013

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Mortabis posted:

No I mean, like, a gay pedophile of prepubescents, like Sandusky. Raping little boys is just so much more sensational than teenage girls.

Also, since everyone in Westeros is into 13 year old girls as it is this would actually set him apart.

...the gently caress?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CumFart Gurantee posted:

...the gently caress?

I'm not sure what you're confused about, was something I said unclear?

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Facts about Lyn Corbay:

1. Pedophile
2. Likes killing dudes in duels.
3. Has best name for his sword in all of Westeros.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I think I get what you are saying, that raping 13 year olds is essentially normal in ASOIAF, but you could probably find a less odd way of saying it. Out of the context of the previous posts, it would look like making a distinction between raping 8 year olds and 13 year olds in real life.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Mortabis posted:

I just reread one of the Sansa chapters from AFFC, the one where the lords of the Vale try to unseat littlefinger and there's something I can't believe I missed the first time through: uh, is Lyn Corbray a pedophile? Cause Littlefinger says something about him having "simple tastes," specifically money, little boys, and blood.

"With gold and boys and promises, of course. Ser Lyn is a man of simple tastes, my sweetling. All he likes is gold and boys and killing."

When I read it I interpreted "boys" as "male prostitutes", since it's established earlier that Corbray is not interested in women. It's probably not a useful distinction considering Westerosi standards though.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think pre-pubescent versus post-pubescent is a meaningful distinction. It's a distinction that's made with regard to women; for instance, Sansa was not considered marriageable until she had her period. But then again, Tommen was marriageable at like, 7 years old so who knows.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mortabis posted:

I think pre-pubescent versus post-pubescent is a meaningful distinction. It's a distinction that's made with regard to women; for instance, Sansa was not considered marriageable until she had her period. But then again, Tommen was marriageable at like, 7 years old so who knows.

The marriage isn't consummated yet, though, which makes it much easier to break off. Which I'm honestly expecting out of Margaery if Aegon takes Storm's End and makes a move on King's Landing - just dispose of Tommen and the decaying Lannisters, then offer to marry the returning Targaeryan King with a reminder that the Tyrells had always been their loyal supporters. It's not like she could marry Dany, after all, Tommen's prophecised to bite it and Marg's gotta keep racking up them royal marriages.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Hey, hes 9!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dolash posted:

Tommen's prophecised to bite it

Gonna have to refresh my memory on that one, champ. The only prophecy regarding Tommen I'm aware of is his doom to feed morsels of tuna to Boots thrice daily lest he be clawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Gonna have to refresh my memory on that one, champ. The only prophecy regarding Tommen I'm aware of is his doom to feed morsels of tuna to Boots thrice daily lest he be clawed.

Cersei's valonqar prophecy from when she was a kid.

quote:

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

• Locked thread