Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Mortabis posted:

I'm not sure what you're confused about, was something I said unclear?

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but you seem to be conflating homosexuality and pedophilia :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

chellesandcheese posted:

Cersei's valonqar prophecy from when she was a kid.

Well, it doesn't explicitly say they're gonna die while Cersei's alive. All men must die, right?

... JUST LET ME HOPE, GODDAMMIT! :cry:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Gold their shrouds" could mean anything! Maybe it just means they'll die Baratheons!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddamn brilliant new title.

hobbesmaster posted:

"Gold their shrouds" could mean anything! Maybe it just means they'll die Baratheons!
I don't think either one's making it out of Winds.

Poor Tommen :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How many known bastards of Robert are/were there? Is it 13? Or 16?

edit

quote:

Although Robert Baratheon is known to have fathered - according to Maggy the Frog's prophecy - at least sixteen bastards, only one has been acknowledged. Varys admits to knowing of eight. Five have been seen by POV characters, while two others have been mentioned only in passing. Because of how Eddard words Robert's will, Cersei begins a campaign to kill all of Robert's bastards, but Tyrion stops it after an ugly scene with Barra's mother fighting to protect the baby. They are listed in approximate age order.

Mya Stone. A bastard daughter born to Robert in the Vale whilst he was Jon Arryn's ward. She served as a guide to and from the Eyrie, and became a favorite companion to Sansa Stark. Eddard Stark remembered that Robert was very fond of her, although like all his bastard children he later abandoned her.

Bella. An unacknowledged bastard daughter who lived at the brothel called "the Peach" in Stoney Sept. Her mother told her that she was conceived during the Battle of the Bells when a wounded Robert hid there.

Gendry. An unacknowledged bastard who was born to a worker in an alehouse. When he was old enough, an unknown lord paid his apprentice fee so he could learn to be a blacksmith. Gendry developed a reputation for stubbornness and fashioned a bull's head helmet, causing him to be named the "Bull". Following the death of Robert, Varys arranged for the boy to flee the city with Yoren of the Night's Watch. Gendry knew that Queen Cersei wanted him dead, although he did not know why. He traveled with Arya Stark until the Brotherhood Without Banners captured them and he joined the organization. The Brotherhood later placed him at the Old Crossroads Inn to smith and look after a group of orphans there. When Brienne meets him, she is astonished by how much he looks like Renly, actually addressing him as "Renly" and "my lord".

Edric Storm. Robert's only acknowledged bastard son, born to Delena Florent.[3] He lived at Storm's End under the protection of Cortnay Penrose, the castellan. Stannis laid siege to the castle with the goal of capturing Edric Storm and using him to prove his claims of Cersei's incestuous affair with her brother. The red witch Melisandre also aimed to use Edric's blood to raise the dragons of Dragonstone. Davos Seaworth smuggled Edric away from Dragonstone before he could be sacrificed.

Two unnamed twins. Petyr Baelish hints that Robert fathered twins to a serving woman at Casterly Rock who were killed by Queen Cersei's agents.[3]

Barra. The youngest of Robert's known bastard children, born to a King's Landing prostitute. A baby, she was killed by Allar Deem under Cersei's orders following the death of Robert.

The wiki seems to say that all of Robert's children are bastards, which means they are taking the angle that Cersei's children are not Roberts?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 17, 2013

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

The wiki seems to say that all of Robert's children are bastards, which means they are taking the angle that Cersei's children are not Roberts?

Wait, Cersei's children aren't Robert's? When did GRRM slip that piece of information in?

:asoiaf:

This changes everything.

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 17, 2013

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

You're lucky this is the Spoiler thread buddy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CumFart Gurantee posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but you seem to be conflating homosexuality and pedophilia :shrug:

Simmer down. If I were conflating the two I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of describing him as both.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FogHelmut posted:

How many known bastards of Robert are/were there? Is it 13? Or 16?

edit

... You're joking, right?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

MD2020 posted:

Facts about Lyn Corbay:

3. Has best name for his sword in all of Westeros.

Is it Jerry Sandusky?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This would be the perfect opportunity for him to sport a blue forked beard. Cover up the recasting through distraction.

To troll book readers, Dany will suggest that he would look better with a colored beard and will dye it for him while having sex and while Ser Barrastan watches and gives her more backstory about Rhaegar.

Jorah will be crying just outside her tent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

... You're joking, right?

I think he's trying to ask whether or not his "legitimate" children count as his bastards?

I have no clue.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They'd be Jaime's bastards.

Maggy's prophecy is clear enough, Cersei has 3 children, Robert 16. The other 8 bastards have not been encountered and it's safe to assume that Robert himself didn't know about them either, it certainly doesn't count the incest children among Robert's children.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Unkempt posted:

How about this

Forum user Maximum Sexy Pigeon looks dangerously close to this in real life.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

hellbastard posted:

Forum user Maximum Sexy Pigeon looks dangerously close to this in real life.

Change the hat...

Also, account for wind factor.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mortabis posted:

I just reread one of the Sansa chapters from AFFC, the one where the lords of the Vale try to unseat littlefinger and there's something I can't believe I missed the first time through: uh, is Lyn Corbray a pedophile? Cause Littlefinger says something about him having "simple tastes," specifically money, little boys, and blood.

Yes, I can't believe you missed this either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So here's a thing I literally just realized: Y'know Quaithe's constant warnings to "beware the perfumed sceneschal"? And how Dany assumes it means Reznak, because that is literally what he is, and he betrays her?

Tyrion's ship is the Selaesori Qhoran, which means "Fragrant Steward". Which are synonyms for "perfumed sceneschal". Huh.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

So here's a thing I literally just realized: Y'know Quaithe's constant warnings to "beware the perfumed sceneschal"? And how Dany assumes it means Reznak, because that is literally what he is, and he betrays her?

Tyrion's ship is the Selaesori Qhoran, which means "Fragrant Steward". Which are synonyms for "perfumed sceneschal". Huh.

The ship also had Moquorro, the red priest now in Victarion's service.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The thing with that is that it's a piss poor warning as the ship itself doesn't reach Meereen, and even if the warning does apply to the ship and its passengers it's still unclear whether the warning refers to Jorah, Tyrion or Moqorro (and hence Victarion), or perhaps to all three.

Additionally as you pointed out, Reznak is implicated in Hizdahr's poisoning attempt and betrays Dany. In short, Quaithe sucks and her warnings are all useless.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Prophecy is a weird thing because if the outcome it predicts can't be changed then you are essentially immortal and unstoppable until the stars line up accordingly...If it can be changed, then it serves only as a warning and it's difficult to decide whether or not it was ever supernatural to begin with or just a manipulation. If it's lacking in detail it doesn't really help you out too much. "Beware the perfumed seneschal" can be because he/she will kill you or because he/she will take a poo poo, not wipe their rear end properly, and make you sick to your stomach. Therefore to a character "in-universe", ignore prophecy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In other news, GRRM is still doing things other than writing TWOW, this time he's watching Breaking Bad.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/337511.html (mostly Emmy chat, no real BB spoilers)

Bryan Cranston will make an awesome Bloodraven.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think what Quaithe sees is accurate at the time, but people acting with free will can change it. Her list of incoming visitors to Mereen includes "lion and griffin", which absolutely was the case until Tyrion got it in his head to tell Aegon to go straight to Westeros.

What does Melisandre say about viewing the future? It's like shadows, right? One future can cast many shadows, just some are more likely than others.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dolash posted:

The marriage isn't consummated yet, though, which makes it much easier to break off. Which I'm honestly expecting out of Margaery if Aegon takes Storm's End and makes a move on King's Landing - just dispose of Tommen and the decaying Lannisters, then offer to marry the returning Targaeryan King with a reminder that the Tyrells had always been their loyal supporters. It's not like she could marry Dany, after all, Tommen's prophecised to bite it and Marg's gotta keep racking up them royal marriages.

Spoilers from Winds says that Doran has sent one of his daughters with a proposal for marriage. Not exactly assured that Margery won't get a crack at a 4th claimant to the throne but makes things difficult.

CapnAndy posted:

I think what Quaithe sees is accurate at the time, but people acting with free will can change it. Her list of incoming visitors to Mereen includes "lion and griffin", which absolutely was the case until Tyrion got it in his head to tell Aegon to go straight to Westeros.

What does Melisandre say about viewing the future? It's like shadows, right? One future can cast many shadows, just some are more likely than others.
Yeah, GRRM is pretty firm in his statements that prophecies aren't overly clear and that they're subject to the interpretation of the medium.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CapnAndy posted:

That's how Stannis describes it to a skeptical Davos to explain how Melisandre saw both Renly's death and Renly smashing Stannis beneath the walls of King's Landing. Or course, both prophecies came true because Renly was killed by the shadow baby and Garlan Tyrell dressed as Renly to fight at Blackwater.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In other news, GRRM is still doing things other than writing TWOW, this time he's watching Breaking Bad.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/337511.html (mostly Emmy chat, no real BB spoilers)

Bryan Cranston will make an awesome Bloodraven.

In between all of his posts about the Jets sucking and some movie theater that no one outside of Santa Fe will ever visit, GRRM mentioned that ADWD will finally be out in paperback next month and include a Winds of Winter chapter (although he forgets which, so who knows if we've seen it already). He also said to expect a little tome titled "The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister" to come out in time for Christmas. My guess is it'll be a little stocking stuffer thing with silly little quotes from the books and/or show or something like that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's not a guess, that's a literal item description akin to what he posted months ago when said imp-sized book was announced.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I wonder what Tyrion's best witticisms are, perhaps "Come, wife, time to smash your portcullis. I want to play come-in-to-the-castle"?

Or maybe "Will you give me your name? No? Well I suppose I shall settle for your oval office."

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 18, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That's not a guess, that's a literal item description akin to what he posted months ago when said imp-sized book was announced.

Oh, had there already been an announcement for it? Never saw it before now. Not that it really matters much in the grand scheme of things. The upcoming Dance of the Dragons novella and giant histories of Westeros coffee table table book are much more interesting to me. And Winds of Winter of course, but we're more likely to see a new Salinger book before that ever comes out.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Ballz posted:

Oh, had there already been an announcement for it? Never saw it before now. Not that it really matters much in the grand scheme of things. The upcoming Dance of the Dragons novella and giant histories of Westeros coffee table table book are much more interesting to me. And Winds of Winter of course, but we're more likely to see a new Salinger book before that ever comes out.

That's rather pessimistic, considering that Salinger is dead.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

It's lovely from a fan's perspective, but I get where he's coming from, he's had a massive surge in popularity might as well rack up some sweet cash while you can.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Yureina posted:

That's rather pessimistic, considering that Salinger is dead.

Didn't stop Tupac.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

The Unnamed One posted:

Didn't stop Tupac.

And I mean, technically it didn't stop Frank Herbert, for what its worth :eng99:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ballz posted:

I have no idea if you're being facetious or not, but there are actually several new, previously unpublished works of Salinger that are set to be released.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Corny posted:

And I mean, technically it didn't stop Frank Herbert, for what its worth :eng99:

Or Tolkien :v:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maggy's prophecy is clear enough, Cersei has 3 children, Robert 16. The other 8 bastards have not been encountered and it's safe to assume that Robert himself didn't know about them either, it certainly doesn't count the incest children among Robert's children.

Is the child Cersei and Robert had together (the one with black hair who died as a baby) a show-only invention?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fatkraken posted:

Is the child Cersei and Robert had together (the one with black hair who died as a baby) a show-only invention?

Yup.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If you ever feel sorry for Cersei for any reason, it's probably thanks to the show. :eng101:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Book Cersei sure is a mustache twirling villain. Remember that Jaime chapter where he recalls how Cersei was super horny after Ned executed Lady?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you ever feel sorry for Cersei for any reason, it's probably thanks to the show. :eng101:

Almost felt bad reading her chapter in ADWD, also the epilogue.

She was almost like a real person in the epilogue! Maybe it was just the kittens though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This is what I was trying to say. It has been put forward in the past, and this isn't something I made up, that Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen are Jamie and Cersei's children. Considering their blond hair, and what with the seed being strong and all that. I was just wondering if all of Robert's black haired bastards had been accounted for.

Then you double down with the idea that Cersei and Jamie are secret Targs, whereby Aerys the Mad King was their father (it's a stretch - it's not a whole lot more than he saying he wanted to bang Joanna Lannister at her wedding to Tywin, Jamie and Cersei's ultra-blond hair, and their affinity for incest), and Robert may not have been that much of a usurper afterall.

• Locked thread