Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also Stark and Lannister sounds a bit like York and Lancaster.

Maegery seems a bit like a more successful Mary Queen of Scots, with all the spouse-hopping and husband murdering. And the Brotherhood are Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but if Friar Tuck was secretly a badass. And if Maid Marrion was a zombie.

Stark/Lannister = York/Lancaster is definitely deliberate, according to Ser Gurm.

I like the Robin Hood analogy though.

Did the Brotherhood compromise their values in the books like they did selling out Gendry in the show? Trying to think if there was anything as bad as that there. All told, I think it would have easier to have just cast Edric Storm, have him appear a couple of times until Davos gets him out of Dragonstone, and have that be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did the Brotherhood compromise their values in the books like they did selling out Gendry in the show? Trying to think if there was anything as bad as that there. All told, I think it would have easier to have just cast Edric Storm, have him appear a couple of times until Davos gets him out of Dragonstone, and have that be it.

They basically turned into the murder crew after Cat came back.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BizarroAzrael posted:

Stark/Lannister = York/Lancaster is definitely deliberate, according to Ser Gurm.

I like the Robin Hood analogy though.

It would have been easier, but I liked so much the Melissandre interactions with Gendry and Arya, I was disappointed when Ive read the books and found that it was a TV only thing.

Edric Storm is boring, Gendry is a much cooler character, and the leeches BDSM scene was amazing.

EDIT: now Ive remembering myself speculating on the TV thread that Gendry would give Melissandre shadow babies and that he would replace Stannis. Ah, the innocence.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also Stark and Lannister sounds a bit like York and Lancaster.

Maegery seems a bit like a more successful Mary Queen of Scots, with all the spouse-hopping and husband murdering. And the Brotherhood are Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but if Friar Tuck was secretly a badass. And if Maid Marrion was a zombie.

William the Conqueror was succeded by his son William the Red, a bellicose little poo poo who refused to be controlled or managed and tormented whomever he wanted until he was "accidentally" slain by Walter Tirell.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

William the Conqueror was succeded by his son William the Red, a bellicose little poo poo who refused to be controlled or managed and tormented whomever he wanted until he was "accidentally" slain by Walter Tirell.
Aegon the Conqueror's son, Maegor the Cruel, was such a charming man with the three wives he was living with at the same time and the three Grand Maesters he executed during his reign that everyone agreed it was the iron throne itself who killed him when he was found dead.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Roy Dotrice definitely mispronounces "Tyrell" as "Tirell" a couple of times in the audiobooks.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Roy Dotrice definitely mispronounces a lot of things.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bryEEEEEEEN

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I just started the audiobooks and it took me a while to figure out who he was talking about when he said pa-tier for littlefinger.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really didn't like this change, I imagine part of it was to get Arya to run away but they could have easily made it so Thoros was just following orders from the Red God rather then selling Gendry out. Adding Mel to Arya's list is interesting though, she's quite resilient to assassination.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

I just started the audiobooks and it took me a while to figure out who he was talking about when he said pa-tier for littlefinger.

Don't worry, he's plain "Peter" later. And changes accents.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

istoleapig posted:

I do agree that Jeor's finals words should have made the cut, however.

What were those final words?

Show people might have cut them for the simple reason that Sam might simply never meet Jorah.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

As bad as the other thread is at paying attention to anything, this one is even worse about figuring out what will or won't work in a TV show.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Like whether they'll show the pink mast for example.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

The only really annoying voice that he did was Jojen Reed. Something with the tonality that was just so grating. Otherwise an amazing series of audio books.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Has there been any indication that the series is sticking with Catelyn Stark as just dead, or will we get to see her resurrected and going around hanging Lannisters from trees?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

pigdog posted:

What were those final words?

Show people might have cut them for the simple reason that Sam might simply never meet Jorah.

Tell my dead gay son I forgive him and he should regain his honor by coming back to take the black.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Has there been any indication that the series is sticking with Catelyn Stark as just dead, or will we get to see her resurrected and going around hanging Lannisters from trees?

The actress is still doing publicity stuff like panels and interviews, but she has also taken some other roles like being on the new 24. Neither of these are conclusive either way though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Sab0921 posted:

Sansa mentions they threw Catelyn into the water, which is an essential component of the Brotherhood gaining possession of her body, so yes.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

No, they're cutting her from the series because she's a non-important character. They're also cutting Euron, Victarion, all of Dorne, the Manderlys, the siege of Riverrun, the High Sparrow, Myrcella, the Mad King, Stannis at the Wall, Yara, Meribald, and Aegon and his crew. All of them are non-important.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Four more seasons of just Arya and Sandor.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Sab0921 posted:

It's gonna happen, yo

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Oh and they're also going to cut Arya's trip to Braavos because of budget reason. That's fine, it was non-important anyway.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I heard rumors that they're going to just cancel the show altogether cause none of the poo poo that happens is really that important

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They're just going to devote the entire rest of the eight-year run to Dany in Meereen.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They're just going to devote the entire rest of the eight-year run to Dany in Meereen.

Look, I know we're all being ironic here - but, dude, there's just some poo poo you don't joke about.

Stark/Lannister cannot = York/Lancaster because none of the Lannisters have the glorious accent that you get around here.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Better than Bran wandering the woods.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Does anything major happen in this next episode or no?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kukash posted:

Nah. They probably should have cut it tbh

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Kukash posted:

Jaime and Cersei will gently caress on Joffrey's corpse

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's titled 'breaker of chains' so presumably the Daario/Champion-Of-Meereen duel as well the siege of the city, or at least parts of it (which were also shown in trailer).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Devoting the rest of the show to Mereen would at least simulate the experience of having to read that loving bullshit in between good chapters.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nymix posted:

Look, I know we're all being ironic here - but, dude, there's just some poo poo you don't joke about.

Stark/Lannister cannot = York/Lancaster because none of the Lannisters have the glorious accent that you get around here.

I've seen multiple newspapers argue that part of GoTs appeal in England is how it lets us have a dig at Londoners. All the good guys (Ned, Robert, Davos) have northern accents, and all the bad guys (Tywin, Viserys) have southern accents.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've seen multiple newspapers argue that part of GoTs appeal in England is how it lets us have a dig at Londoners. All the good guys (Ned, Robert, Davos) have northern accents, and all the bad guys (Tywin, Viserys) have southern accents.

UK doesn't have newspapers you liar

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Daius posted:

Jaime and Cersei will gently caress on Joffrey's corpse

And that's why this episode will be the best episode.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Kukash posted:

Littlefinger reveal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's pretty much the way I read it. The geography of Westeros is pretty similar to the UK (if you consider Scotland to be 'Beyond the Wall' and change what side Wales and Cornwall are on) and I thought putting the shithole capital city full of priveledged Southerners and 'the poor' on a big old river was a pretty clear nod.

Except the Wildlings want the opposite of what Scotland wants.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And over here in America they all sound the same. :tipshat:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Ballz posted:

And over here in America they all sound the same. :tipshat:

Yeah and since everyone has british accents it's hard to tell who the bad guys are

(it all makes sense when you realize it's everyone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I have yet to speak to, or see, a show-watcher who is fearing for Tyrion right now. Everyone seems to think 'oh, well, its obvious he didn't do it' or act like he's going to get a medal for killing Joffrey. I hope the trial by combat is at the very end of episode 8 and we don't see any of Tyrion again until the finale, to get these guys on edge and the tears streaming down if just for two weeks.

• Locked thread