Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So why did they recast Daario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Well, that hair's no good, but otherwise I like it. Hizhdar is young -- he makes scornful remarks to Dany about Meereen needing new blood.

And that dude is juuuuuust on the line of handsome, but still looks sorta douchey and untrustworthy. I like it a lot.
I keep seeing him on sitcoms and I can confim that "douchey and untrustworthy" are two things he brings to every role.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm loving Oberyn so far. Especially the accent.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've been re-watching the show since the start of the new series, and I'm loving just how much fun Littlefinger is having manipulating Ned Stark. The scene in which Ned sentences the Mountain is particularly brilliant. Its the little hushed nudges he gives every time a new piece of evidence appears that kept making me giggle. I can almost Littlefinger and Pycelle high fiving each other after that scene, just because of how easy it was for them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

And when Oleanna talks about it in the next episode, anyone thats interested but isn't yet aware of how it was done can go back and watch the episode with that in mind and gain an entirely different perspective on it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As an Englishman, I can confirm that the Wildlings are a true to life depiction of our Scotch cousins.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love show Stannis purely because of Stephen Dillane. I definitely agree with the complaints about his plot, but I genuinely look forward to every Stannis scene just because of Dillane being awesome.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its not just that his accent is touring Britain, its that hes also hugely upped the hamminess of his delivery. If its not a decision made by the showrunners, then I'm pretty sure that Gillen is just taking the piss for whatever reason.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Not heard that one in a while...

I quite enjoy his silly accents. It'd be nice if they were more consistent though.
Eh, I'm English and I just roll with it. Tyrion and Jamie both sound slightly off, but gently caress it, they're decent. As long as they're not Dick Van Dyke or Don Cheadle in Oceans 11 then I'm happy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

loquacius posted:

The best red herring. "Well I didn't mean right now, gotta get some slaves first. woop guess im dead now, nevermind" :allears:
I love that they've kept doing this as the show has progressed. My personal favourite so far is the way the scene in which Robb Stark decided to take Casterly Rock was presented.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Is anyone else hoping that they announce "Harry Lloyd as Aegon Targaryen". Ya know, just to gently caress with everyone. And to get Harry Lloyd back on the show...
I never thought of this, but I'd loving love it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Actually, while we're talking about casting, Roger Ashton-Griffiths absolutely nails Mace. Mace just has absolutely no gravitas whatsoever and people ignore him not because hes a terrible person or just plain annoying, its that they really don't care about anything he says or does.

I'm hoping he gets more scenes, but nothing in which he takes a centre role. He has to be that kind, bumbling idiot just outside of the conversation who smiles and doesn't cause a fuss.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lycus posted:

I loved how defensive he got about his "Master of Ships" title, while the fact that Oberyn didn't give a poo poo went completely over his head.
I think the best bit is the smug look he gives Oberyn when Tywin asks him to get him his quill and paper, as if he just won his favour as opposed to being treated like some kind of errand boy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

If episode 9 doesn't end with "Stannis....STANNIS....STANNIS" and Stephen Dillane emerging out of the fog, this show has hosed up
Its being directed by Neil Marshall, who also directed the Blackwater episode. Its going to be loving awesome and whatever Stannis does it will be badass.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hes probably taking ages because these books are loving huge and have become increasingly complex as time has gone on. Now hes slowly moving towards his end game and would probably want to give the work that he is most proud of the attention that he thinks it deserves.

Or hes fat and dumb lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Counterpoint: it's being written by David and Dan, the most objectively anti-Stannis writers on the show.
Counter-counterpoint: Show Stannis is awesome because of Stephen Dillane's charismatic performance and most of the "they've ruined Stannis!" complaints are dumb as hell, so it'll be awesome.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CPFortest posted:

Again though, Stannis does admit to Jon that Davos finally convincing him to go to the Wall was a personal turning point for him in terms of his behavior and goals, and it's possible the show could still reflect that, though I'm 50/50 on that happening at this point.
You'll probably see that change in him either in episode 10 or next season. Its obvious that in season 3 that he is severely depressed at his circumstances. Even when he finds something to do at the end, for most of season 4 hes openly frustrated at his inability to follow through on it. I'm quite happy to watch this though, but I can understand why a lot of people aren't particularly fascinated at watching a deeply unhappy guy spend a season and a half shouting at his only friend and setting people on fire.

Once he finds his feet again when he goes North, his portrayal will be far more entertaining. And CPFortest is definitely right.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

PootieTang posted:

This is doubly bad after the season finale 'WE WILL GO TO THE WALL!' business. It just makes Stannis look lazy. I do see a lot of unsullied wondering why the hell Stannis is lounging around having mopey dinners when he's already declared his intent to go north a season ago.
The thing is, the dialogue in the season 3 finale and this season explain why hes lounging around doing nothing (its because he has resources and not enough manpower, and Davos said he would be able to change that but has been struggling to do so) and yet people in this thread and the other one keep asking why and coming up with weird explanations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If his blog is anything to go by, Conan Stevens is probably a massive pain to deal with in real life.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

meanwhile you will be forever stuck with dany, whose actress is often mistaken for a mailbox post in a bad wig
I actually think Emilia Clarke is alright in the show. Dany is clearly out of her depth and has no idea how bad she is at what she does, and neither does Emilia Clarke. Shes a terrible actress but that it totally works for that role.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Episode have giants riding wooly mammoths.

Episode owned.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm trying to elucidate why I loved the episode so much but its really hard. I was slightly disappointed at the lack of Stannis, but everything else was so good that I can't bring myself to fault it for simply knocking back my expectations. Neil Marshall doesn't disappoint.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

did the big ginger guy actually gently caress a bear in the books?
I think most of us are disappointed that not only did they not include that scene, but we also didn't get the bears backstory and arc, both of which are integral to the mythos of the Ice and Fire Saga.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

For a second I thought that Sam was going to find Gilly and Sam killed by Janos Slynt
For a few seconds I genuinely thought "oh for fucks sake, not another rape scene".

This show warps your perspective. When you get the point where you can compile a top 10 list of rape scenes in your TV show, then perhaps its time to consider toning it down somewhat.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stannis has got to be in there. The way hes been written this season suggests that hes going to make a sudden appearance up North to the surprise of the audience.

Its going to own. Stephen Dilane is my favourite part of this show. Can't wait for him to relentlessly boss every scene hes in next season.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They'll definitely squeeze it all in, because they've got an extended episode and they manage to pull off juggling various storylines in a variety of ways in every single episode.

The only thing I'm curious about is the way this is all edited and the general pace of the episode, particularly since there are so many big, dramatic moments that are going to occur within it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not too bothered about the show losing its best actors considering how good they've been with their casting. We're getting a whole bunch of new characters next season, along with Stannis and Mance stepping into bigger parts, so losing the Hound isn't a huge deal.

I mean even when we lose Dance, we've still got Diana Rigg.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think the Robert/Joffrey exchange was put in that promo because outside of a small scene on his death bed they don't really share any exchanges together (I think).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

The real reason why Stannis is the Lord of Dragonstone and not Storm's End is probably that GRRM needed him to be there for the plot.
I think "oh he did it for plot reasons" is a poor argument when there is enough evidence in the text to rationalise it another way. Bear in mind that Robert had to put up with Stannis for years, so dumping Dragonstone on him is a proper hilarious "gently caress you" from his perspective. And as much as Stannis would have people believe that hes a rational and loyal servant hes still incredibly bitter about that slight, so it then works as a motivating factor for him to turn on Renly.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure Leaf is throwing some kind of bomb. Theres even a shot where she picks one up and lobs it at someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

"Nearly everyone" loves The Big Bang Theory, American Idol, Everybody Hates Raymond. Doesn't mean they are good.
Except Game of Thrones regularly pulls good ratings, has an incredible buzz around the internet and is a favourite of critics. In fact, the only people I regularly see whinging about how the show is inherently awful in every conceivable way are people who read the books first and won't shut up about changes.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Why does everyone keep saying Tormund will 'replace Rattleshirt'

They don't need a named character to burn someone.
I really hope they don't do that. I can't express how much I am impressed by his beard and it would be one of the most tragic moments of the show if it went up in flames.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread