Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Superhaus posted:

Only Cat.

The last thing Lysa ever heard.

I hope they keep her falling out completely silent, no screaming, just wide eyed bug eyes. I can see it in my head and it's soooo gooood...

Speaking of mental images based on the books, my sister, who has read all ASOS, has asked me several times if they've already shown Joffrey die or not. She can swear she's actually seen the actors act it out and can describe their facial expressions and everything. I've assured her that it has not happened yet in the show and that we're due for a rewatch to refresh her memory, but it's kind of funny because I get what she's saying. There were scenes in the show from season 3 that I could swear I had already seen before on my first watch, but it was just my memory of reading the scenes mixed with the extremely consistent performances of the actors playing out exactly as I imagined them.

I told her that her mental image of the Purple Wedding would probably not match up with the show's portrayal because according to filming news the Purple Wedding seems to be taking place outside in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cloche posted:

Yeah, they specifically added a scene of Loras saying he didn't think Brienne did it. I'm still hoping that idea of her replacing Ilyn as Jaime's sparring partner is right, because it sounds neat.

That's the first time I've heard that theory. I wonder what they'd do with Pod if they went in that direction.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chellesandcheese posted:

He was in Bran's dream last season. I don't think they're against bringing him back for stuff like that if they need to.

That was reused footage from season 1.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Whichever Season 1 one she does with Mark Addy is amazing too. They're so affectionate! Hearing them just having a wonderful time hanging out with each other while on-screen Cersei and Robert are having that amazing "how long can hate hold a kingdom together" scene is extremely trippy.

I believe that episode's commentary also contained one of the Dany + Drogo rape scenes, which all the commentators watch in silence.

A few seconds after the scene cuts, Mark Addy says "Well...not really too much you can say about that." Cracked me up for some reason, really diffused the tension.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I'm picturing the Only Cat scene and I can't help but see Littlefinger do it in his ridiculous over the top evil accent with far too much mouth movement.

I don't care how they make Littlefinger play it, as long as they stick to the books and make Lisa completely silent and wide-eyed. For some reason that really stuck with me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the scene with the snow in the throne room of the Red Keep at the end of Season 2 will come to fruition in the books. I'm almost positive they'll be smart enough to use it again in the show, but can we accept it as canon in the books?

I'd imagine her dragons could come and burn the roof right at the worst of winter, when even Kings Landing is getting a light dusting of snow.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Which sword? Arthur Dayne whom everyone always talks about used to wield Dawn which was neither magical nor valyrian steel as far as we know, I don't recall the books mentioning what happened to it but Ned probably delivered it to Ashara.

Are you thinking of Dark Sister? The Targaryen valyrian blade? It was last wielded by Bloodraven when he was hand of the king, its current whereabouts are unknown.

I definitely remember reading that Ned made a trip to Dorne after Tower of Joy in order to return Arthur Dayne's sword to his house after the sack of King's Landing, but I can't remember where I read that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rypakal posted:

e: asked and answered

e2: a better question. What would Dany's climax in s4 be if riding drogon was in s5?

e3: ~~~*Dario*~~~ actually making her climax and wedding?

Yeah, probably her getting chained foot to hand with Hizdahr. If they play up her romance with Daario, filming her decision to marry Hizdahr could be worthy of a season-ender.

Interesting side story about that, when I first read that passage in ADWD I thought it was a big oh poo poo moment when they emerged in front of the crowd with her hand chained to his foot. For some reason I thought the reveal was that they would be chained that way forever in some bizarre Meereenese tradition, hence the built up disappointment from Daario that she was getting married. It explained why he was bummed that they'd never get to gently caress again because I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't just continue to do it anyways behind Hizdahr's back. I mean, it was a political marriage anyways. Robert did it, I'm sure lots of past Targaryan rulers did it, what's the big deal?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

meristem posted:

She marries Hizdahr in her 8th ADWD chapter, and rides Drogon in her 9th, though. They marry, she opens the fighting pits, and Drogon appears. What would she be doing for an entire season?

I don't know, but David and Dan do, that's all that matters really.

I'm of a mind that the show will speed up Dany's crossing of the Narrow Sea whether it's been published in the books by that point or not. I don't think HBO will want to endure the same wrath the book readers have produced at Dany still not being in Westeros since she's such a popular character in the show. Imagine Tumblr's explosion when she still hasn't made a move towards Westeros by the end of Season 5 for christ's sake...I just don't think they can get away with it

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Felix_Cat posted:

That's a hilarious image, but presumably it's her hand tied to his hand, and her ankle tied to his ankle.

I just reread it and you're right, but it's just ambiguous enough to be confusing.

A Dance With Dragons posted:

Four hours later, they emerged again as man and wife, bound together wrist and ankle with chains of yellow gold.

Again, weird Meereenese tradition? My brain apparently thought so.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vitamin P posted:

The song of ice and fire will either be Jon and Dany's battle or Jon and Dany's romance and subsequent kid.

Actually it will be the song that Rhaeger played for Lyanna on his harp. QUOTE THAT poo poo VITAMIN P

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MustelaFuro posted:

This hasn't been talked about for a while but concerning the discrepancies in Petyr's accent(s), it popped into my head that maybe the accent being in an awkward limbo between native and non-native sounding is the result of Petyr (the character) attempting to fake an aristocratic accent. Whether that was the intention or not, it seems like a convenient way to explain it.

People have speculated on that. Personally I think he's just loving up his accent :shrug:

EDIT: Come to think of it, we get lots of accents from different parts of the UK, some Eastern European accents, and I would assume a Spanish accent once some Dornish people are introduced...I wonder how an American accent would come across, or any other kind of accent. I imagine it would sound silly, but for a fantasy world there's really no reason why it should.

timp fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 24, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

I did get the sense that Bronn is in some small way honoring his friendship with Tyrion by just trolling the gently caress out of Cersei because he can.

In any universe, naming your child after somebody is a pretty great way to honor him. Pissing off Cersei by doing so is just icing on the cake.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Agreed. I would love to know why (and how) he got north of the wall, for example.

When did that happen?

VVV EDIT: Ah, thanks. I figured it must have been a throwaway line from the show since the wiki didn't mention it.

timp fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 24, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

AA is clearly Littlfinger.

Let me try this Madlibs thing:

Littlefinger is Azor Ahai. The first "sword" was Catelyn Tully, the second was Lysa, the 3rd is Sansa who is Lightbringer. By conceiving a child with Sansa Stark he'll kill her (or himself, either way), but create a weapon that can defeat the Others.

He knows that there has to be 3 attempts and the first two attempts at creating Lightbringer would fail. The dragon needs 3 heads.

Don't forget that Azor Ahai is also "Born amidst salt and smoke". AA was "born" in Littlefinger when he got beat by Brandon Stark at the Vale. The salt are his tears and the smoke is....uh, somebody had lit a fire nearby so there was some smoke in the air. :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really curious to see how, if at all, they explain Daario looking so different. I wouldn't even have known that was supposed to be Daario if the file name didn't specifically say so.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

I can't wait to see the Mountain v. Oberyn scene. It was so well-done in the books. Specifically, I thought it was obvious the Mountain would win, because Tyrion isn't going to escape false accusation invoking trial by combat twice-- that's just a boring story, but the way it was written, they managed to convince me that Oberyn had a chance, and then he inflicts a mortal wound on the Mountain. I just hope they can preserve that element in the show.

I remember everything about reading that scene. Where I was, what time it was, what I was drinking...everything. And I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I literally had to step away and tell myself to slow down so I wasn't tempted to skip to the end of the chapter to find out who wins. I really had no idea who would win because GRRM had done such a good job of impressing upon me that just about anything could happen.

I imagine a lot of people felt that same excitement and surprise reading the Red Wedding, and while I wasn't exactly spoiled on it, somebody said "something HUGE happens halfway through book 3!!!" and my overthinking and over-conjecturing sort of ruined it and softened the blow a bit.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

comes with a free sausage

Well of course it's a sausage...what did YOU think it was?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I wonder if that shot at 1:06 was Tyrion's view of Shae after climbing the ladder to Tywin's chambers.

Lots of good stuff in that trailer, can't wait for this season to start already!

EDIT: got the timestamp wrong

timp fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 17, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

colonel_korn posted:

The trailer also seems to suggest that Jon & co. are going to head out after the mutineers to avenge Mormont. That seems kind of stupid if they're expecting a wildling raid at the same time.

He says "All we can give him now is justice." Show only viewers will think he's talking about justice for Robb since the line immediately preceding that is "He was betrayed by his own men". There's no question Robb's being described there (sounds like Stannis saying it but it's not clear). Pretty sneaky, trailer editors! It's not even outside of the realm of possibility for his character...

They may have Jon do another "vows vs. family" internal struggle moment like they did when he found out that Ned had died, but that one was actually in the books, whereas afaik Jon doesn't have one of those moments in SoS when he hears about Robb's death.

On the other hand, if he is talking about the wights that assassinated Mormont, how could Jon lead an attack against some wights? He knows they're just dead people and probably has no idea they're capable of taking direction at this point, right?

So...who was he talking about with that line?

EDIT: wait, wasn't Mormont attacked by wights in the book? Were they wights in the show or just disgruntled Night's Watch?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing that bothers me a bit from that trailer is the Mountain's armor during the duel with Oberyn. Looks more like samurai armor than plate mail. What's with the Shredder mask?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The newest trailer got me thinking. I've often wondered about the implications of Tyrion finding Shae in Tywin's bed. Tywin did know that she's a prostitute, right? Is he just an incredibly unapologetic hypocrite when it comes to whores? Or was he operating under the assumption that she was actually a servant of the Red Keep? Regardless, it also seems very strange that Tywin would "lower himself" to sleep with one of Tyrion's former consorts...seems very out of character for him. Is it just because we're seeing a more debauched side of him that he's careful not to show anyone?

Basically, was he a huge phony?

So many questions...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Andrew Verse posted:

Tywin isn't really a hypocrite. His problem with Tyrion's drinking and whoring is that Tyrion did it out in the open, not in secret like you're supposed to. Keeping up appearances and all that.

That makes sense to me. I still feel like it's out of character for Tywin to "sully" himself with one of Tyrion's former whores, though. On the other hand...I guess it just further cements his true feelings that they're just objects to be used, like a sword or something. Who cares if someone else used the sword before as long as it feels good in your hand and works?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vernii posted:

I dont think Tywin hated Tyrion, just certainly had quite the rocky relationship.

As far as killing Shae goes, well, it's not like he lived long enough to have the chance.

Or Shae, for that matter. :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
^^ That would change things quite a bit if it were true.^^

escape artist posted:

Anybody ever consider that it was a two-way relationship? Tywin, of course, needed what "a man needs" -- and Shae, being a golddigger, pounced on the opportunity. I think they're both culpable.

Without a doubt. Tyrion wouldn't have killed her if he felt that she was there against her will, even in his state. Shae clamored for power and comfort from the very beginning. She was being paid to only have sex with a dwarf, then suddenly that dwarf is dead and now she's having sex with the Hand of the King and sleeping in his cushy chambers. It's lovely that she sold Tyrion out, but hey, he's dead now, gotta look out for number one.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea you can really easily retrool the 'so you're Sansa's maid and you never heard about her bailing' speech and make it a general 'you're all over the place and you never heard anything about something so major? Well I guess you're in on it too bitch' threat, boom, reason for her to betray him.

Has Shae called Tyrion her Giant of Lannister in the show? That was the twist of the knife of the whole betrayal for me. I feel so terrible for Tyrion in that moment in the books. There was literally no reason for her to mention that detail other than to humiliate him. No way they can include that moment in the show without making Shae into a straight up villain given the way they've depicted her in the show so far.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Officer Farva posted:

Have their been any reports of Jack Gleeson getting this same kind of treatment? Because when I heard he was probably going to be done with acting after he's done on the show, I wondered if some of it had to do with people in public treating him lovely and him just losing his love for it.

Actually, someone in that QnA he did at that university asked him if anyone's ever harassed him in public for being Joffrey and he said no, it's never happened. Pretty amazing, really.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Universe Master posted:

I really don't see this as an issue. You aren't supposed to feel alright at all about Tyrion killing Shae in the books, and it always disturbs me when I see internet comments that seem to blithely forgive Tyrion because Shea was just a "lying whore" all along or something. It's impossible to determine their precise relationship in the books because we only saw it through Tyrion's love struck eyes. No doubt it was more professional than on the show, but no matter what it was, it was over the second Tyrion was placed in irons and Shae's life placed in immediate danger. Tywin or Cersei could have had her raped, tortured, or executed with a snap. Shae is a survivor, and knew what she had to do to keep her head attached. She gave a performance in the courtroom as good as any she'd give in a bedroom, and continued to use her sexuality, the only real bargaining chip she has, to stay alive and in comfort by going to Tywin. That Tyrion couldn't see her side of it in a moment of blind rage after the numerous injustices and betrayals that fell on him is unfortunate, but it's just another chapter in the tragic world that they inhabit. It needs to be a brutal act of passion. No need to blunt the impact at all.

What about telling people about his Giant of Lannister nickname? Was that necessary to keep her head?

EDIT: Double post, sorry

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Universe Master posted:

Quite possibly yes. She's an actress, of sorts, fulfilling the sexual fantasies of men, and she threw herself into a new role in the courtroom. They needed her to provide fantasies of a wicked dwarf monster who could be capable of regicide, and she played the role with gusto. It's the same sort of talent that has always kept her alive and in comfort.

I agree that she had to sell it. But it would have been just as easy to say 'Titan of Lannister' or something just slightly different than what she always said to him in private; that way he would know that she wasn't being 100% honest and may have been able to pick up on the fact that she was being forced to testify, if that was the case.

Not much sense in debating it, I guess. What happened happened. I'll just be curious to see how they handle her testimony in the show.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

Gotcha. Let's go Danny Dyer instead.

Sorry, we've already casted Ray Stevenson for that role.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

I'd not be surprised if they add Gendry to that group too, because he's not going to want to hang out in Kings Landing considering how every other known bastard of Robert's met terrible ends. He'll want to get out, and Brianne offers a good way to do that and keeps him in on one of the main plotlines.

I thought Show Gendry was with Stannis? Did he get let go and sent to King's Landing?

As a side note, all this Brienne talk has got me excited for Randyll Tarly, presumably in Season 5. He's one of my favorite characters in the book for being such a dick.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I believe George has already signed away his right to have final decision in regards to what happens with the show; he gave that to D&D. He told them how it ends, and no matter how badly he may want them to wait for him to write the books first the choice is theirs (by RIGHT) to finish the show whenever they want. I remember reading in this thread that George has appealed to them to take a season off (do a prequel season, Dunk and Egg, etc.) and they said no because they don't want to ruin the momentum that GoT has with the mainstream public right now. Plus what could you do with the child actors?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got it: Do the 5 year time jump GRRM originally intended to do in the place of aFfC/aDwD.

I'm joking, but the more I think about it...

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I sit and think when I'm in my zone
This life is like the Game of Thrones

Cool idea, but I hope they're generally better than that snippet, cause :lol:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta drop this here now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oZ4Bug_zA

(If you haven't seen it: I know it seems like it'll be bad but it's actually very well written)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Well Robert was like 20 when the rebellion happened and Gendry is supposed to be like 15-16. He wouldn't quite fit into that role. Hell, look at how big Robert is portrayed as during the rebellion:

I agree that they wouldn't use Joe Dempsie but his age is a dumb reason to justify that since the actor is 26.

Besides, it's more fun to cast well known celebs for projects that are never going to come out, it is known.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gianthogweed posted:

He's probably dead now anyway.

That never happens in this series

"We think he's dead. Some people are saying he's dead. This one guy totally heard he was dead. My friend knows this guy who saw him get killed. It's been months since anyone's seen him, he's got to be dead..."

This is never followed by "Oh, hey, look, his dead body", and is instead always followed by "What?! It can't be!! We all thought you were dead!"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vernii posted:

This speculation is silly and I'm betting entirely based on people being too impatient to wait, they want everything now.

I'm fine with the way that they did it and I can't wait for my show-only friends to completely forget about her until she pops back up as a zombie. But my and many other people's reasoning for thinking they'd do Lady Stoneheart last season was more based on behind the scenes logistics and practicality, which you have to admit counts for quite a bit these days.

Think about it: Keeping the Stoneheart reveal in season 3 eliminates the need to worry about what people will think when they see that she's listed as a cast member ahead of time on IMDB, or have to worry about her name showing up/not showing up in the opening credits. I mean I'm sure the legal department will find ways to prevent her name from appearing in the credits, and they might be able to keep her name off of imdb, but at the time it seemed like more trouble than it may be worth. Also, this way they have to keep Michelle Fairley on contract for the entire season just so she can appear in ep 10 in the final scene (presumably).

It's not that unreasonable that it could have happened!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

radlum posted:

Do we know if Episode 9 of this season will only be the battle at Castle Black, like Blackwater in season 2?

I can't point to any specific articles or anything but yes, I know for a fact I've seen quotes stating that it's been confirmed to be the entire episode like Blackwater was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope they keep Dany's line about Oznak, the Champion of Meereen

(paraphrased)
Barristan: You won't be able to kill every single person who rises in rebellion against you, Your Grace.
Dany: No, but it would please me to see this one die.

Shame it'll be Daario instead of Belwas but I have faith they'll make it cool.

• Locked thread