Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There'e also a bit of black humor with Roose saying that to Robb as he is also murdering his King.

That and twisting the knife in Caitlyn's gut as she thinks releasing Jaime was the reason it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's likely Cersei will die before long so there's not much time for her to be redeemed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I'm less patient with GRRM after I started reading the web-serial Worm. I like the story just as much as asoiaf except the author writes 20,000 words per week.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah he had less screen time than Gregor and way less than Daario and both of those roles have been recast.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I try to avoid paying too much attention to Joffrey's actor in real life, it spoils the effect a little if you think about what a super nice fellow he is in real life.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like they might condense books 4 & 5 into Season 5.

They're already moving some of the material into season 4, and they can keep the fast pace of the show if all the important stuff from both books happens in one season. Quality of the material aside, a lot of it can be condensed for television. You could probably tell Brienne's AFFC storyline in 30 minutes of screentime or less if you remove most of the uneventful parts. She doesn't even have to visit the Quiet Isle if the gravedigger isn't Sandor.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bronn doesn't seem like the type that would follow Tyrion into exile, honestly. Even show Bronn. What would Tyrion pay him with anyway?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly I found the CKII mod pretty dull. Westeros isnt that interesting without GRRM pulling the strings for us.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bronns baby naming shenanagins were pretty amusing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

The fun things to do are to play the nearly impossible scenarios. For example, I've tried a few times to get Littlefinger on the Iron Throne...one time I ended up with him as an independent King of the Trident and married to Queen Sansa of the North, but getting further than that presented challenges.

Right but playing it out in CKII is no more satisfying for me than just imagining it. There's no story to go along with it. Its like reading the absolute dryest plot synopsis possible of asoiaf from an alternate universe.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Out of curiosity how many of the fan theories about ADWD ended up being true?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was just trying to figure out whether reading fan theories is a waste of time or not based on past accuracy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

jsoh posted:

It is a waste of time regardless.

Yeah in a way, since it's just a poor substitute for having the next book in hand.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If I remember right, Mel's exact reaction on the show was 'You should not have this power'..nothing about it being impossible or surprising.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

chellesandcheese posted:

I'm still holding out that they're speeding up his story line to use his weirwood visions to fill in for the lack of "flashbacks" and that we'll actually get some of the stuff they've missed because of that.

I doubt they're going to hire Sean Bean back just to do some Tower Of Joy flashbacks if that's what you mean. I guess maybe they could use a different actor since Robert's Rebellion is some time in the past.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You know, I was thinking about book versus show timelines...won't we have to see Skaagos sooner rather than later in the show? I don't think they can conceivably leave Rickon and Osha out of the show for 2 or 3 seasons.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That kinda spoils the impact of Stannis showing up at the wall though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

loquacius posted:

Something completely unrelated that's been bugging me, which I was reminded of just by hearing Maester Aemon's name: How exactly is the Targaryen "Ae" supposed to be pronounced anyway? Aegon is pronounced "Egg on", Daenerys is pronounced "duh-nerries", Aerys is pronounced "airies", and Aemon is apparently pronounced "aimin'". I'm getting mixed signals all over the place.

I dunno but I laugh every time I see someone mention Aenys Targaryen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stannis should be the NW commander, you wouldn't be breaking your vows with him around.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not entirely convinced an attack on the wall isn't imminent when Jon is being stabbed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone posted a theory to Reddit today that Ramsay is Azor Ahai and he was the snow Melisandre saw in her visions. I almost want this to be true now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone got any guesses about the symbolism of a direwolf being killed by a stag at the beginning of the seriess?

Joffrey's not really a Baratheon and that's the only applicable situation I can think of.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The stag/wolf thing couldn't be more blatant. Neither Ned nor Robert survive the book and the when the stag dies, it brings the wolf down with it.

I guess I was concentrating too much on the wolf and stag having killed each other so I was looking for something analogous where a Stark and Baratheon killed each other.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei killing Robert was the sketchiest murder plan ever. So many ways that could have gone wrong for her.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Her plan depended on a wild animal fatally wounding her husband and him passing away quickly. If he didn't find a boar, or the boar didn't cause any serious wounds, or if he got too drunk to walk, she would have would been hosed. Seems like it would have been much easier to just use poison given the stakes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I get the impression HBO is really on his case and that he's trying to stay away from side projects for the most part, so I'd guess late 2014/2015. He can write quickly when he's motivated, the first 3 books came out in 6 years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The showrunners know the entire story so they probably have a better idea about what can be condensed than we do. The only specific instance GRRM has called them out on is killing Mago.

And on that note I have a feeling we'll have some kind of revelation about Khal Drogos death in the next book, that Mago had used the arrow wound as cover to poison him or something.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 25, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Talisa storyline wasn't particularly bad and Jeyne Westerling wasn't particularly good in the books so I don't give a poo poo. Nothing they've changed in the show has made any difference in my enjoyment thus far.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Well obviously you don't want to kill off the main character just to prove a point but you can perfectly well kill off someone the reader thinks is the main character. It's perfectly fine to kill off Jon Snow if that was the plan all along.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I read the first book before seeing the show and I thought 'silver' hair meant literally silver-colored. Like a really light grey and lustrous.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Calling elements of the official show fanfic because they don't match the book is quite dramatic of you.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I know they're popular fan theories but 'The hound fights his brother in the form of Robert Strong' and 'Arya is hired to kill Sansa' strike me as pretty cliche.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I do kinda feel like GRRM will eventually put us in the situation of having someone we like kill someone else we like just as well. Maybe Dany will kill Jaime and revenge her father.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If Bran and Dany's storylines are being moved that far forward we could be seeing new material as soon as 2015.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe I'm a big stupid baby or whatever but I look forward to seeing the Dance epilogue on the TV show, I thought that was a pretty badass way to set up the next book.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

The showrunners don't seem to be able to plan in advance to set up storylines that come a season along.

TV Viewers have short attention spans, if you introduce someone in Season 2 and not really use them until season 5 viewers will have completely forgotten about them. You might as well just introduce them in Season 5.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently AFFC has the lowest 'Hodor' content.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd like to hear impressions of the new story if anyone has started reading it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Emilia Clarke is going to be Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently Jason Momoa let Ser Robert Strong's identity slip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_wkhdoE-c0

• Locked thread