Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

Only Chat

:golfclap:

Also, I am amazed Stannis did not score higher on the "Good" scale on that survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oberst posted:

Nthing that the thread title is amazing. Can't wait for all my illiterate friends to get attached to Oberyn

I cannot wait for the unsullied to decide that the thread retroactively spoiled them or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Someone really needs to buy Alfie Allen one of those.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:staredog:

He's going to be better than I thought.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Everyone should read this because it emphasizes a part of Bran's character that lot of people probably don't think too much about. Between whatever Bloodraven has planned for him and his increasing power and indulgences, Bran's arc is pretty much a supervillain origin story.

Yep, it's real, real dark. One of my favorite story lines too, just because this one is so obviously going somewhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PootieTang posted:

I don't think Bran would mind-rape Hodor in order to physically rape Meera that's... I mean that's just crazy evil.

He won't set out to do it, but as someone already touched on, he'll warg into Hodor because why not, and then do something very un-Hodorish, like try to comfort Meera for some reason, and then things will probably go bad from there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jsoh posted:

Its a old religious practice.

Who is perpetuating this practice?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are you British? I'm a Canadian and I never noticed either, I think it might require you to be relatively familiar with the gamut of British Isles accents.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

KasioDiscoRock posted:

But most of the major things have happened in episode 9 every season. In S01 it was Ned's beheading, S02 was Blackwater, S03 was the Red Wedding. That's not to say the finales weren't something fairly big as well, they just seem to really like to throw the most shocking events into the penultimate episode of the season.

That's exactly why I think they should kill Tywin in the final scenes of Ep10. People will have seen a lot of craziness, and I doubt they'll be expecting it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

And yet 200 years after Crecy Elizabeth is still holding tournaments.

This isn't at all mysterious though. Jousting requires heavy rear end armor, multiples of a weapon with no other use, and a warhorse, at the very least. Thus the poors don't get to play, and royal legitimacy is all about keeping the rich on side.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fruity Gordo posted:

I was a lazy drunk show-watcher until the end of season 3 and I didn't notice the Gregor recasting because, you know, he was just a huge angry violent beardy dude who was consistently called the Mountain.

I can't even remember what Daario looks like in the show even though I've since read all the books, so I doubt it's going to be too jarring. If you replace Hot Actor 1 with Hot Actor 2 Who Vaguely Resembles Hot Actor 1 I doubt anyone will care or be confused. I remember him being hot and whispering sleazy things to KHALEESI but apart from that he's not memorable.

That's going to be the jarring thing though. New Daario looks nothing like old Daario, although I don't think we've actually seen him in costume yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

No, it's really not and the "Jon is totally dead" thing is completely beyond my understanding.

I bring this up again and again, but: Jon's assassination was clearly inspired by Caesar's. Caesar was stabbed 23 times. He died of blood loss. Jon is in bad shape but he's taken no wounds that are inarguably, immediately fatal and there are half a dozen rescuers close to hand.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on where Jon Snow stands, but while it's true that Caesar died of blood loss, it's near certain he still would have died of some knock on condition had somebody managed to stop the bleeding.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No, that's him. He's a mercenary, and a rugged one. Ergo, terribly maintained clothing?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Was Linda one of those people who flipped out because the guy they cast to play Oberyn didn't have the same colour skin she imagined he did?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Midnight City posted:

Sandor is probably the best character in the books to me just because of how consistent he is. Maybe it's due to no POV chapters for him but he really doesn't make any decisions that aren't understandable.

I'm hoping the show doesn't do what the books do and he doesn't just disappears on the show after Arya leaves him or it's going to suck.

Yeah, he's quite the character in the books, and Rory McCann does a pretty solid job, which only makes it that much more enthralling.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^ Yes but it would still make him the "rightful" heir and King. Of course, Rickon and any of Rickon's children would be his heirs.

Except you'd have to prove he's alive first, he'd have to show up at court to have any real claim at all, and neither of those things are about to happen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jsoh posted:

No they got a giant named Thor instead.

Eh, he's only a half Thor.

e;fb, by like 10 minutes. I need to learn to refresh.

And because this hasn't been posted in a few pages:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rosscifer posted:

Spartacus also had fewer internationally renowned actors. Even if they ignored the child actors growing up problem, they can't seriously tell a cast like this to gently caress off for a year or two and expect them to come back: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits

The other benefit is that just about everyone in Spartacus's first season that was still alive to transfer to season 2 would also have been in the prequel. So your main cast aside from Spartacus are all still around, and lots of the more background characters as well. The one guy who comes to mind that that doesn't apply to is the guy who played Agron; Dan ComplicatedLastName.

Whereas if you did a Game of Thrones prequel (on Robert's Rebellion I guess?), what the hell are you going to do with all the child actors, all the Tyrells, Dany, etc.? In addition to the part where you now need Sean Bean and Mark Addy and a bunch more people back, and have to make them look young enough, and on and on. It would just never work.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

loquacius posted:

Nothing stopping them from pulling a Hobbit and recasting characters with younger actors that just look vaguely like the older ones. It could be done.

You could do that, but that wouldn't allow you to stop production on Game of Thrones, because the children are still ageing pretty damned noticeably, as teenagers do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

computer parts posted:

No it really doesn't. GRRM as of now hasn't killed anyone who is a named character and wasn't basically asking for it.

That ending is just "heh bad guys have to win because that's edgy :smug:" incarnate.

That's really not what that ending would be. The R = PTWP ending is "everyone is hosed because our political leaders were too petty and shortsighted to deal with a larger problem." Which you may recognize from our exact loving situation right now. Depending on where exactly you live, it works on multiple levels.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chellesandcheese posted:

It's also incredibly depressing and not "bittersweet" which I think is how he's described the ending. There's literally no hope for anyone at that point and telling the story that took 7000+ pages was a huge waste of time because nothing they did after killing Rhaegar matters. It really would be a giant FU to the readers. I can appreciate the concept behind it, but I still think it would be a terrible way to end the series.

I don't see why the ending has to be upbeat in any way though. Sometimes events just are depressing.

computer parts posted:

GRRM is a TV writer, that's not good TV. If Fringe had ended with "oh yeah your old partner was the chosen one but you killed him back at the end of the pilot episode" no one would appreciate it. It would just be bad writing.

I'll concede that that ending would never fly on TV. But GRRM is writing books, so he has the freedom to go another way (assuming he wants to); the TV show can do it's own thing if it really wants to. Also, I've never watched Fringe so I can't relate to that at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

I don't see the theoretical ending people are talking about as indicating that life is meaningless. If anything, it's the opposite: actions have real consequences. Your stupid, petty politics and lack of perspective have doomed the entire kingdom--good work, aristocracy!

Exactly. Is everything we learned about Robb's exploits as King in the North pointless just because he eats it at the RW? JonCon is an interesting character, even though we know he is doomed. Oberyn was great, even though that guy died almost immediately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Indeed, Nymeria's wolfpack is the best Chekov's Gun in the series I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They probably add a few extra scenes to get the viewers on the same page regarding what kind of a monster Gregor is supposed to be, there are rumors that we will be shown the scene involving the inn keeper's daughter rape, so it might be related to that or otherwise a new scene altogether.

Indeed, the casting of an "inn-keepers daughter" suggests they're going to show that directly, which should make him pretty damned hated. Plus I imagine we'll get an expositostory from Sandor while he wanders with Arya.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

To add to the male rape chat, it does seem a bit odd that it isn't the #1 threat to every man. Isn't forced penetration one of the greatest phobias of straight men?

As a straight man, it obviously isn't something I'd be comfortable with, but I also have never worried about such a thing happening. Perhaps it would be more of a concern for a straight man in medieval fantasy times, but I really doubt it's a thing many men think about at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chellesandcheese posted:

He'd have won the war because he had all the support of Storm's End & Highgarden, not because he was actually good at leading men into battle or ruling. He was playing king. When you first see him, it's almost like he's having a tourney at his war camp. If he won, it would have been simply due to the fact that he had people much smarter than him controlling him and supporting him.

Securing the backing of powerful landed interests is exactly what makes a good King. That's like the whole thing really.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Marijuana posted:

e: Tank, you make some pretty good points. Tyrion and Theon were definitely victimized, but I'd hesitate to say that Jon was unwilling to have sex with Ygritte. The same goes for Sam and Gilly: their hesitations only come from not wanting to break their vows, not because they had no interest in sex with those women. I can't really speak to Aeron and Euron because we don't know what the hell is going on with that story yet.

How is this different from the old defense 'it's not rape because secretly she wanted it'?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Despite the state of affairs, Only Chat is just such a brilliant title it would be a shame to deface it so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

webmeister posted:

I remember seeing Melisandre, but whereabouts was Stannis? I didn't notice him in any of the montages.

There's definitely a shot of him standing around with Davos, but not much of his crew indeed. I will be super stoked if they really do all but omit him from this season until he just appears at the wall.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

This must be another case of me ignoring stuff about the books I didn't think made sense. I could have sworn, though, that they were on the stairs/ in little landings rather than on the top of the wall.

As I recall they were trying to defend the stair case leading up the wall, and then I think they collapsed it at some point?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Have some history and lore early:

Very reminiscent of the briefing cuts scenes from Age of Kings. I like it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

bobjr posted:

Did Aiden Gillen have a sore throat or something when they recorded these?

I assumed he was doing his "rural accent", Gaius Baltar style.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

escape artist posted:

LF and Varys are my two favorite characters. Roose Bolton is third. I would love to read their POVs but I don't want them to die at the end of them :(

Actually, I could probably tolerate everyone's but Varys' death. I have soft spot for that perfumed seneschal.

The one thing I really want to see is the ultimate triumph of Varys over Littlefinger at some point. Varys seems to be a much more conservative cat, so my money is on him in the long term.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Obsidian being brittle has already come up, when Sam tries to use the dagger on a wight. Use obsidian on an Other, they die because magic, but otherwise congratulations, you just poked a corpse with a piece of extremely brittle metal and now it's broken.

For the record, obsidian is not a metal. :goonsay:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

A poor, crazy friend of mine is convinced the next book will come up with the next season of the show. Heck, he thought it was going to come out before Christmas and the only reason they pushed it back was to finish the illustrations for some collector's edition version. We both started reading the series after the second season of the show, so this is our first wait between books - tell me, those of you who waited for a Dance with Dragons, will he survive? Or should I put him down now before he goes rabid?

He will become increasingly bitter and jaded about the whole thing, and then you can introduce him to The Bad Thread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doltos posted:

This is probably true but historically speaking the Mongols loving ruled at taking cities. Not that they sieged them, but the psychological effects of them running around the country side was enough to make most rulers turn over the keys. Hell, they burned Baghdad.

The Dothraki running around Westeros would be an absolute nightmare. They'd probably win, too. But, for the purposes of the story, it makes sense that the Golden Company would have to be the niche to taking down Westeros capitals.

Eh, I don't think the Dothraki would have met all that much success. The thing about cavalry based armies is that they are utterly and completely dependent on the ability to forage, which large portions of Westeros don't really provide in sufficient quantity. Especially if winter is closing in, and people draw up into castles. The Dothraki simply could not have afforded to sit in one place to siege it down. The Mongols did better at these things because they developed their army into more than just steppe nomads, but the Dothraki are not the Mongols.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

escape artist posted:

All horses that die are immediately turned into food. Dothraki love that poo poo.

If they eat the horses, they're no longer really an army, or at least one the Westerosi couldn't mop the floor with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just can't understand the lighting. Why would it be so dark back there, and yet so light in the foreground?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ShaqDiesel posted:

His loss in the Hand's tournament was so shameful he lost 80 lbs. and got radical plastic surgery.

No, he was killed and replaced by a faceless man whos tradecraft is lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ShaqDiesel posted:

Guys, they know. They know I'm a replicant.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread