Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Well, I found their kafkaesque obsession with beetles simply beckettian. I'd have preferred a more dickensian scene, of Varys' little birds conducting orwellian surveillance. I have read several books. Lugubrious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
The beetles thing would have been totally fine if it didn't drag on quite as long.

Also I loved all the Sansa stuff, she's the best.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Plankytown is up there with 'Manwoody' in the dumbass name stakes.

That audition was cool, though. I think I could see her as Obara.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Doltos posted:

Eh I think GRRM has mastered naming people and places. His naming conventions are incredibly clever and often tell a lot about a character before you even meet the character.

99% of the time they are. But Dickon Manwoody is not one of those times.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

CeallaSo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdrxBbrUjZ8

The thing I love the most about this video is the list of things he rambles off as potential conversation topics. Yeah, man, your fans really can't wait to have you talk about Wild Cards at them.

I heard him tell a really funny story about how he came up with Wild Cards on a podcast that made me think the idea was sorta cool. That said, gently caress reading any of it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
For gently caress's sake.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I think if I'd have gone into the episode knowing there would be no Stannis I'd have enjoyed it ten times more. I was just too hyped for that poo poo. It was a good episode, though. My favourite bit was everything Tormund said and did forever.

BlueChocolate posted:

Grrm better get a move on writing those books or there will be no reason to buy his books once the show has revealed everything.

he's hosed next season, with Sansa and Bran's stories especially. man had enough time, though. I can't wait to see what happens.

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 9, 2014

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Eau de MacGowan posted:

did the big ginger guy actually gently caress a bear in the books?

the dude went to town on that bear i'll tell you what

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Eau de MacGowan posted:

was it tactically realistic?

was he wearing a specially constructed suit of plate mail? did he dope the bear with some kind of poisoned lure?

we don't see him gently caress the bear, but he has a legendary schlong (or 'member', if you will) that transcends our speciesist notions of sex

and RE: sailing around the wall - it would take a long-rear end time and they also have a load of old people and kids who would probably die on the journey. they just want to get the gently caress away from all the wight walkers and poo poo.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
The most effective way of taking the wall down is creating a real big rumpus right outside of it

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Gorn Myson posted:

I think most of us are disappointed that not only did they not include that scene, but we also didn't get the bears backstory and arc, both of which are integral to the mythos of the Ice and Fire Saga.

D&D have confirmed that they're actually including a flashback of this next season

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
They really hosed up with Mance. My girlfriend is another one of those people who thought that Tormund was king beyond the wall :(

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
ha ha you know all the stuff you guys think is good? i don't think it's good. in fact, i think all that stuff is really bad and lame. consider yourselves owned

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Bran's transformation into homeless bag lady is almost complete

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Someone from the other thread worked out the Myrcella plot...

Roland Jones posted:

Oh dang, while this will almost definitely not happen, the bit about Myrcella just made me realize that, since Myrcella's definitely not married to Doran's son matrilineally, if she were to end up on the Throne and live long enough to have kids, the Martells would be the ruling family of Westeros, seeing as her children would be Martells.

I'm kind of hoping that that's the gameplan for the Martells if they don't go for revenge (or the revenge attempt fails) now. It'd be loving brilliant if they completely undercut the Lannisters like that. They don't even have to do anything except maybe arrange Tommen's death, but that's pretty drat likely to come on its own, (or at least, from a source other than them) all things considered.

Good catch on their part

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
From westeros.org:

quote:

There's no way Sandor would lose to a woman. That scene was made to please feminists.

What a joke.

hahaha

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I actually thought the skeletons were pretty cool. The little lads were plenty menacing and creepy.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
It's interesting that GRRM hints there's more to the Tywin/Shae thing. I wonder what will happen with that.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I feel like Jojen hardly reacted just cause he always knew how he was going to die or whatever and was at peace with it

"well this is the end. I'm getting shanked by a skeleton... at least I didn't get eaten by bran I guess"

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I wish they could have just given Bloodraven one hosed up eye. It would have served to make him look a lot creepier, and his line would've made sense. The scene was cool but he didn't look like he'd been in there for decades, just like he'd wandered out of his retirement home and into a tree in an alzheimer's-induced haze

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Darth Windu posted:

The only thing I'm really disappointed in was the Brienne / Hound fight. She shouldn't have been able to beat Sandor, that poo poo is utterly unbelievable, even with him already wounded.

That guy is one of the best fighters in the realm, up there with Jaime Lannister (who she had trouble even fighting to a draw when he was underfed, weak, and chained together at the wrists) while Brienne is explicitly stated as relying on her gimmicks to win fights - good stamina and being constantly underestimated. She is not a good fighter, Sandor is, it was a terrible, stupid scene.

Would you go as far as saying that it's a feminist conspiracy that she won?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Emilia's acting is only good when she's speaking Valyrian

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
what kind of lame-rear end world are people living in when a badass skellington guy repeatedly stabbing an innocent child to death isn't cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
So Tyrion and Dany likely aren't going to interact in any meaningful way for the majority of the book? What the gently caress GRRM

• Locked thread