Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

Godus is the latest game from Peter Molyneux, now working with the 22Cans development team. Molyneux describes it as a spiritual successor to Populous, and it's easy to see why with the whole sit back and touch the world then watch your people learn thing going on.

GODUS empowers you in the role of a god, allowing you to sculpt every inch of a beautiful world that you look down upon, on which a population of Followers settle and multiply. As you mould every aspect of your unique utopia, a civilisation will blossom across your land and offer you their belief. The more Followers that believe in you, the more powerful you will become.

Whilst you are free to lose yourself in this tranquil experience, other gods reign outside of the ever-expanding reach of your influence. If you so wish, you may challenge other gods and their civilisations to epic multiplayer battles that involve hundreds of Followers fighting in your name whilst you cast devastating god powers from the skies above. As you conquer more lands, your powers will grow allowing you to nurture the advancement of your own Followers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKN7-BdeKzo

This video showcases the game as we know it at the moment. Although it does have some concrete gameplay shown it does suffer from a fair few Molyneuxisms along the way. It clocks in at just under 40 minutes but is well worth the watch if you can suspend your disbelief when Molyneux leaves the game and goes to paper to show some 'groundbreaking concepts'

Features

- World sculpting with the click of a mouse
- "Every player on a single world the size of Jupiter"
- In depth population mechanics and interbreeding between different tribes
- A number of puzzles/challenges brought about through world shaping
- A card based advancement system, with cards earned through godly acts and multiplayer battles
- God powers in the vein of Populous and the Black and White series
- Civilization advancement, apparently from sticks to space ships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdrDgTK9kLQ

Godus is released at some point today on Steam Early Access for 14.99 or $19.99, with complete release at some point in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

Lwaxana Troi makes an unscheduled visit to the ship, demands to marry THE WARP CORE.

As strange as Molyneux sometimes is I'm really looking forward to this game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Can I demand human sacrifices to sate my insatiable thirst for blood?

Or at least toss kids on an alter for magic points.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

Skyl3lazer posted:

My take on it is at worst we get an updated Populous and at best we get a legitimately interesting game, so win-win really.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

e - I'm a bit apprehensive of this myself but at least 22Cans won't be rushing to any kind of schedule for the final release (I hope).

andyf fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2013 around 17:54

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Hey if you're an alpha backer, apparently there's a livestream going on of them getting ready for the Steam release http://www.twitch.tv/22cans - I think the password is in the backer forums (I don't know it myself, sorry)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

There are no rules in cat town!

I saw this a few months ago. It looked pretty good. I like the video where they basically have a guy to filter out Molyneuxs' ambition.

GreyjoyBastard
Mar 28, 2010

Qarth.

Oh no. You're not fooling me again, Molyneux.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!

I'm always ready to be fooled by Peter Molyneux.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

bbchops posted:

I'm always ready to be fooled by Peter Molyneux.

Even though his games nearly always end up as pale shadows of what is promised, they are still usually good enough to be enjoyable at least for a while.

Esroc
May 31, 2010
DUMB AS FUCK

Eh. Just don't believe a word he says, or better yet just don't listen to anything he says past the games title, and you'll end up with a halfway decent game to waste time on.

Just re-installed B&W2 with the expansion the other day and it's really nowhere near as bad as I remember people saying it was. A little simple in places, but a fun time waster while you're stoned off your gourd.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

I distinctly recall watching a like 4.5 minute video of Peter Molyneux explaining how groundbreaking "holding someone else's hand with the 'b' button" was going to be for Fable 3.

I don't think he even believes what he says anymore.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

B & W 1 and 2 are a couple of my favorite games. Watching your civilization advance and nudging them in this direction or that is really quite fun. I like that you don't have as direct control over them as, say, Civ 5. Molyneux is like a crazy uncle, creepy but lovable.

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013

If Molyneux over hypes this game and then its bad I will never buy one of his games again

I mean it this time...

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

And Godus is now live on steam, go play!

EDIT: and I'm streaming it at http://www.twitch.tv/sledra1

Sledra fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2013 around 21:39

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Crash on launch! Woo-hoo!

e - luckily there's an OSX version too, and that's working fine.

beware of the resolution switcher. apparently it's possible to set your resolution to 0x0 and it's a bit of a pain to reset it.

andyf fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 00:03

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

i just want your sufferings ~ your bloods and fluid ~ your stupid fucking tiny skeleton ~

Watching the stream now and a little wary of this being overly simplistic - $20 release price really says 'flash game' in terms of depth. Gonna wait for more impressions of the actual gameplay.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

gently caress the ROW posted:

Watching the stream now and a little wary of this being overly simplistic - $20 release price really says 'flash game' in terms of depth. Gonna wait for more impressions of the actual gameplay.

Kinda thinking the same. It just seems like a game where you click a whole bunch with no depth beyond clicking on stuff to get cards that are all passive effects so you can click some more.

Its early on in a game that's not finished yet, but it seems like there would be more systems than this even in an unfinished game.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Oh good it turned out to be a Facebook game. Molyneux never fails to disappoint. I feel really dumb for backing this.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

A true leader of men

Esroc posted:

Eh. Just don't believe a word he says, or better yet just don't listen to anything he says past the games title, and you'll end up with a halfway decent game to waste time on.

Just re-installed B&W2 with the expansion the other day and it's really nowhere near as bad as I remember people saying it was. A little simple in places, but a fun time waster while you're stoned off your gourd.

I wish they would just remake B&W 1, but without the bugs

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

Lwaxana Troi makes an unscheduled visit to the ship, demands to marry THE WARP CORE.

JGTheSpy posted:

Oh good it turned out to be a Facebook game. Molyneux never fails to disappoint. I feel really dumb for backing this.

What?

The game is pretty fun by the way, I'm trying to get another candle so my people have families

e; I assume you're referring to clicking on houses for belief. That goes away when you get settlements and cities (it all flows to a central statue)

If you think there's no gameplay here then perhaps god-games aren't for you. Either that or you watched 5 minutes of a stream, didn't understand it, then walked away because there's a lot here.

Also, don't click a large monument with shaking hands over it, it breaks the game at the moment.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 00:49

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

It's fancy Farmville. Click a billion times, then wait. If you build a settlement, you can consolidate some of those clicks and yet it's still incredibly boring. There's no gameplay.

edit: If you click the houses, they even show you their little Farmville timers.

JGTheSpy fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 03:52

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Don't buy this game

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

It's nice to see that Molyneux is still trying to perfect Black & White. I sure hope he actually succeeds one day, those games are fun to play but remarkably flawed and reach nowhere near what they aim to be. If a Black & White game came out that actually delivered what it promised while retaining the charm of the previous games I'd buy it, definitely. Until then he just contines to talk the talk but never walks the walk and this seems like yet another case of that.

Scylo
Aug 5, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

It's nice to see that Molyneux is still trying to perfect Black & White. I sure hope he actually succeeds one day, those games are fun to play but remarkably flawed and reach nowhere near what they aim to be. If a Black & White game came out that actually delivered what it promised while retaining the charm of the previous games I'd buy it, definitely. Until then he just contines to talk the talk but never walks the walk and this seems like yet another case of that.

The games not even close to being finished yet though? Most games would look like complete poo poo if you played them this early.

Safetyland
Jul 1, 2003

Nerds are encouraged to
get the fuck out.

This thread turned around pretty quick!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Safetyland posted:

This thread turned around pretty quick!

I see you're becoming familiar with the Peter Molyneux style of marketing games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

I see trees, will the long denied promise of watching them grow in real time finally be realized?

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

WendigoJohnson posted:

I see trees, will the long denied promise of watching them grow in real time finally be realized?

no

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

So the Tree Sim market remains untapped, which means you can make theoretical billions with TreeSim 2015.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT ENCOURAGING CLINICALLY DEPRESSED PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES OVER THE INTERNET

If everyone is on a single map, im curious as to what happens when two people run into eachother. Can you just kill them outright or do you have to formally challenge them to a 'god duel' to get more territory? Either way I am seeing this game as being grindy as gently caress already; and im sure somewhere along the way you will be able to buy Molyneux points to buy god cards to buy god faith to fuel your rampant god fingering.

Anatharon
Aug 6, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

I think that if you ignore his overexcitement/hype, the ideas in his games are pretty interesting. Except for the Fable sequels.

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

Just bought this on a whim and enjoying the butts out of it.

crashes frequent on macs, no where to really submit crash reports yet (that i know of)

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.

I've never felt so conflicted about buying a game.

Edit: Help I'm about to give Peter Molyneuax more of my money stop me before it's too late.

Dryer Lint fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 18:50

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002

Dryer Lint posted:

I've never felt so conflicted about buying a game.

Edit: Help I'm about to give Peter Molyneuax more of my money stop me before it's too late.

Don't do it unless you're a grandma that's sick of her usual Facebook games.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Totalbiscuit has a review up on Youtube, and it shows how poo poo the game is turning out to be.

One of the design decisions is to make the controls universal so it will work on touch screens, making overall control freedom limited and awkward for PC.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

blarzgh posted:

I distinctly recall watching a like 4.5 minute video of Peter Molyneux explaining how groundbreaking "holding someone else's hand with the 'b' button" was going to be for Fable 3.

Y'know, if it were anyone else in the industry I would completely believe they were being utterly cynical and manipulative. But I can't shake the feeling that Molyneux really believes his own hype.

Which is actually kinda sad.

Not going anywhere near this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

Has anyone bashing the game actually played it? I know 3 other people who have bought it (or backed it way back when) and they've all enjoyed it, as have I. There's a pretty large disconnect as far as I can tell.

The biggest complain is that you have to click on your houses, which is such a non factor I dont even know what to say.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yup.

Gee guys, it's almost like the game isn't finished.

I bought it last night and I have 6 hours invested so far, I'm loving it. The "Click the statue to harvest belief" mechanic really doesn't play out like a Facebook game, it's more of a way to force you to plan out your civilization's expansion. Each statue has a limited radius, so it forces you to plan out your terraforming to maximize the consolidation it offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhenty
Jan 24, 2006

Have a spare beta code from the Kickstarter

edit: all gone

Have at it goons!

(If you see this post more than 10 minutes after it was put up, don't bother, code is gone, F5 harder.)

Zhenty fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2013 around 19:34

«11 »