Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My girlfriend loves cheese. She works at a cheese place, and is a cheesemonger. I've been in the process of making her a cheese knife to call her own. It would seem there's no premade blades in the shape that I wanted, so, OH WELL, I guess I'll have to do everything myself. I've never done something like this before, but gently caress it. I'll try.

I ordered some 3/32" thick 440c stainless. Stainless is awesome.

Time to grind, bitches!

Hm. Pretty good. You can see where I used the cutoff a little too aggressively and heated the metal up a bit.

Well, let's clean this up a bit.

Because, hey, you gotta stab your cheese, too, right?

Files because I'm a masochist and also the grinder was bonkers on this. Also seen is my ghetto rig for holding the piece as I work on it. That is a woodscrew clamp holding a woodscrew clamp holding the knife.

Roughly filed the edge.

This is where I'm at now. Still need to cut out and shape the wood for the handle before I send this out to be heat treated. My school decided to reject my request to use our department's heat treatment furnaces. I have some 1/8" brass rod that I'm going to use for the handle. I'm thinking black walnut. I know I have some in my house SOMEwhere.

(Let me know if the images are too huge. I used timg, but I also don't know what I'm doing.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Uhh... pretty chunky handle there.

Well that looks better, all oiled up.

Yeaaahhh. I think that'll go over well.

I think that came out pretty good for a first attempt.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sir Cornelius posted:

Nothing can beat files, agony, despair and pain.

After trying a grinding wheel, I agree with this. The grinder was just way too aggressive for my liking. I prefer filing by far. The sheer time it takes ensures that you're going to stop and look at the blade, and see what you need to do.

Also, it's so gratifying to watch the sharpie go away.

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's really, really neat work! Congrats!

Also, thanks! My girl loved it and puts it to good use. So I'm really happy with it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Made a knife to beat up around the shop. I found a handle with an opening of 1/8" x 3/4" and two set screws. So of course I made a knife blade that could slip in there. Shaped it on a belt sander as best I could, filed it, heated it with a torch and dunked it. It works. Not pretty, but it works. The point is already getting dinged pretty good from getting dropped on concrete.

Not a knife, but I made it at the same time roughly. Used a hand knurler. The head is two thicknesses of 1/2" and two outer pieces of 1/4" welded together then ground flat. The faces were hardened, or rather "hardened" to the best of the ability with a torch. That is to say, I guess it's harder, and the face doesn't dent as easily.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

E: ^^^ I really love that handle. Great job!

"Hey, what the hell is this stainless doing in the scrap bin?"
"Oh, that's been around for like, a year? and it's just been taking up room."
"So.... I could just take it and make it useful after hours?"
"Uh..... sure?"

4" handles, 8" blades on the both of them. Made from Abandoned Mystery 14ga stainless steel.

CAD and a plasma table made this very easy. Also, I just went at it with the big-rear end belt sander to get some rough bevels. Though now I'm probably gonna send them off to be heat treated somewhere else. (Should I have waited until they got back to put the bevels on them? Maybe.) Annealing, hardening, and tempering can be fickle, I know. I don't have a kiln at the shop and I honestly don't want to gently caress around with fabricobbling a heat chamber to hold these things at 1400*F for 45 minutes then up to 1950*F for 15 minutes or whatever because I know it'll probably be a poo poo show. It's worth it to me to just chuck the $20 at the chunks of metal to have them magically be slightly harder when they come back.

Before that, though, I must do some detective work to find out what kind of stainless this is, exactly. And by detective work I mean call up our supplier and ask them what stainless they carry.

It's also fun for me to look back at the first knife I posted in this thread. It was a couple years ago made at home over maybe a week or two? and now that I work in a metal shop I kinda take it for granted that I can do something like this in less than half an hour.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

While I didn't want to face the possibility before, I have confirmed that the Mystery Stainless is in fact 304. Which means it has very low carbon and basically can't really be hardened. So..... I got myself some show blades. Whoops! At least it was free ish.

To be fair, I should have guessed that first since I think it's what we most commonly use in the shop when we need stainless. But I know we have used 400 series before for some specific jobs. I held out hope that it was some leftover 440. I should've known better.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

mattwhoo posted:

Me again this is knife #3 this is an 8 inch chefs knife with a simple walnut handle. I wanted some nicer wood but I was impatient. I really need to bust out the good camera and build a light box and take some better pictures.

You make nice knives. I like the understated handle, personally.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Cool! Making knives is fun, right? I wanna offer some advice for you, though I'm sure others will be more knowledgeable and able to help you better.

You mentioned how your knife doesn't have the smoothest chopping motion. A couple of things can contribute to that. One is that your handle and your blade are pretty much level. Your fingers are going to get in the way, and the heel edge of your knife won't make it down to the cutting board. You can help this by making the handle raised up a bit, like in this picture.

Two - Are you chopping like a straight up and down motion, or are you rocking the knife? A curved edge may help with a better feel, also shown in this picture. Also, shaping the handle to be more contoured and less blocky will help it feel better in your hands.

But congrats on the knife. Have fun with it.

Man, I should really make some more knives.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Hey, do you want to make a knife? A one piece knife? Have no metalworking skills? No worries, friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKH63_r0OCA

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I love making blades, but man do I just lose steam when it comes time to putting scales/handles on the knives. We were doing some spring autumn cleaning at my shop and lo n behold, there were a bunch of old saw blades. And I cheat by using the shop's cnc plasma table cutting out blanks. So far in the past week I've worked on an 8" chef's knife, 5" utility/petty knife, an 8½" filet knife, and an 8" cleaver-like knife that's supposed to be a kinda replica of the one Brad Leone uses.

I'm not much of a pocket knife person, so everything I make is centered around kitchen use. :shrug:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Need to do some fuckin' heat treat and handles. Tried doing a bolster/heel on the petty knife and it's pretty ugly. The big tongue depressor/popsicle stick behind the cleaver is showing how far back I'd like the wood to come, maybe try and balance out that big chunk of steel.

Also, I may have made a mistake. I sharpened these fully before heat treating. Hoping that heating these bad boys up won't gently caress em up too bad. It's mystery steel, but I'm hoping that these old saw blades harden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Ah, oh well. So I wasted some time. Would any of you advise to heat treat as they are, or should I take a belt sander to the edge to take the edge out? As long as I'm gonna be removing material afterward anyway?