Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can anyone sell me on whether I should level Lancer/Dragoon or Archer/Bard? I just got THM up to 26 to get Swiftcast for my Scholar/Summoner, and it confirmed me on never touching a DPS caster again in this game, so I'm down to those two as my "DPS" class to level and focus on (I actually like the idea of Pugilist, but don't want to juggle positioning beyond what the Lancer requires).

My problem is I usually like to play something that is generally more sought-after in groups (usually for something they bring besides just DPS), but it doesn't seem like that is really a concern with the current Bards (other than seeing calls for Bard specific DPS for Garuda). Right now I'm leaning towards Archer just for the ease of only having to bother with ranged concerns versus melee, but the more I think about picking Archer just for that purpose I think I'm going to be happier with Lancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

No More Heroes posted:

Its a roll of the dice everytime with a pub group. I did 2 runs today each with a paladin tank. I was the WHM healer. First run went flawlessly, second run the tank had zero aggro whatsoever. Every single pull came straight for me when I cast my first heal.

Nevertheless, this game is fun as hell and has grabbed me like no game has since EQ1 in '99

:getin: when you can!

This is absolutely true. I've had PuG runs where the healer kept Stoneskin up on everyone, the tank used Flash correctly, and my fellow DPS managed adds and killed things without a hitch. These are counterbalanced by basically every PuG I did in Stone Vigil. Vigil requires a lot more battlefield awareness through the whole dungeon than I think most of the other dungeons did, and it probably didn't help that every time I ran Vigil there was that one rear end in a top hat who runs ahead and triggers the loving Ice Sprites before we want them. But I finally beat it.

Only to find out the story would outlevel me one step before Garuda. :negative:

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

There needs to be a version of this where he's wearing a full set of that armor where you can't move your head.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

My weaver guild master called a costumer a turd :3:, these quests are awesome.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chido posted:

My weaver guild master called a costumer a turd :3:, these quests are awesome.

"Are you prepared to suffer?"
>Yes
No

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

So why are people so up on Fishing? Not having tried it, I've been assuming it's just like Mining and Botany, which are soul-draining hells. Is that not so for Fishing?
I believe fishing leves function like crafting leves instead of gathering leves. So you can get massive experience turn-ins with HQ stuff.

It's a lot easier to level in general if you take advantage of that. I've watched friends level fishing like 5 times faster than me leveling mining (ughh...)

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
Are the animations for the /visor command not in the game yet or something? I'm tired of seeing my guy, well rather not seeing his face, with the heavy armor set. The hide-head gear feature doesn't seem to work when you have that kind of armor, nor does /visor to show the face.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Are the animations for the /visor command not in the game yet or something? I'm tired of seeing my guy, well rather not seeing his face, with the heavy armor set. The hide-head gear feature doesn't seem to work when you have that kind of armor, nor does /visor to show the face.

Visor works for the Warrior AF helm specifically, I don't know if it works on any others.

We need cosmetic armor :(

They said it's getting patched in eventually at least.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Pretty sure when it comes to the armor with the helmet combined with the chestpiece, that's intended. You're welded into that drat thing, hell if you notice... Target someone, move around. Your characters head can't turn to look at them!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Then what does /visor work on? Cause it doesn't tilt visors down on most helmets, and doesn't tilt that one up, where I think it would be of most use.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Then what does /visor work on? Cause it doesn't tilt visors down on most helmets, and doesn't tilt that one up, where I think it would be of most use.

I think just warrior AF.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Works on my Dragoon AF helmet too, I know for a fact one or two of the lower level helmets works. Also, the 'Behemoth' helmets will open up the mouth to show your face.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So why are people so up on Fishing? Not having tried it, I've been assuming it's just like Mining and Botany, which are soul-draining hells. Is that not so for Fishing?

FSH in FFXIV is exactly like fishing in real life: boring and time-involved; whose proponents frequently adhere to complex, often arcane strategies of dubious effectiveness.

Except it doesn't require you to go outside. Of course MMO players love it.

Aladar
Aug 13, 2007

And my eyes bulging means that I'm going to be chattering for a while!

Grondoth posted:

It works on the Onion Helm, not that you'd have reason to wear that most of the time.

get ye flask posted:

FSH in FFXIV is exactly like fishing in real life: boring and time-involved; whose proponents frequently adhere to complex, often arcane strategies of dubious effectiveness.

e: Video game fishing is super relaxing, real fishing is super gross :colbert:

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Arthil posted:

Pretty sure when it comes to the armor with the helmet combined with the chestpiece, that's intended. You're welded into that drat thing, hell if you notice... Target someone, move around. Your characters head can't turn to look at them!

Especially hilarious if you ride a chocobo. Hey, don't fall asleep at the reins!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Official App for iOS, Libra Eorzea is available. You can log in to the Lodestone with it, as well as look up Items, Quests, NPCs, and Achievements. The look up parts work offline, too. You just won't get any graphics for items.

Despite what they say, I was able to download it from the App Store, and it works just fine on my iPod Touch 4G/4th Gen running iOS 6.1.2.

Also, the SQUARE ENIX Software Token is available for both iOS and Android.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

get ye flask posted:

It's great for when you're tired, just wanna shoot the poo poo in the game and not worry about maximizing your whatsits or doing a dungeon or whatever. Just find a good spot, bait your line, and relax. And you also have an actual chance of catching something, which you don't really get IRL.

Also, you can fish in all kinds of weird places.

Never stop fishing.

Ed: Fish yourself to death.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 16, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Man, I thought there wasn't going to be a new thread until digital sales were back on. I got my hopes up and everything. :mad:

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

Grondoth posted:

I was messing around and discovered it works on the alchemist level 55 eyepiece and armorer level 55 face shield. I was disappointed it didn't work on the blacksmith's goggles.

Edit: Love the title.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 16, 2013

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Has anyone had wildly varying spell timers on BLM?

Sometimes when I'm casting Fire3 it's full length, but sometimes after repeated casts it will go down to like 1.3 seconds. Same thing with Blizzard3. I'm not sure why though. Ideas?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Did anyone mention how great some of the music in this game is? 'cause it is.

Butt rock with Titan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYFttdp-cY

And hell, why not Garuda too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6QAF0Ydkig

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Since it's a new thread and there might be new lurkers I'm going to reiterate what others have said: this game is fun as hell and definitely worth giving a shot.

No More Heroes posted:

Its a roll of the dice everytime with a pub group. I did 2 runs today each with a paladin tank. I was the WHM healer. First run went flawlessly, second run the tank had zero aggro whatsoever. Every single pull came straight for me when I cast my first heal.

Nevertheless, this game is fun as hell and has grabbed me like no game has since EQ1 in '99

:getin: when you can!

I'm finally doing the story dungeons, and had some weird luck. I'm tanking but I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at it, but at least I look poo poo up beforehand so I don't leave everyone high and dry. The first dungeon went down like a charm, everyone focused the mobs I marked and I only lost aggro on a couple of things a couple times.

The second dungeon? poo poo. One of the casters kept running ahead and attacking mobs before any of us could get there. Gratuitous Flash and Overpower use kept most of the aggro on me, but it was a real struggle at points.

I haven't gotten to play Copperbell Mines yet (I don't think there's a single lvl17 healer on my whole server, the way this is going) but I'm kind of dreading PUGing it from what I've read about the second boss. Does anyone here play on Aegis? I cannot wait for server transfers to be available.

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I cannot wait for server transfers to be available.

I too cannot wait. Moving to a JP server would drop my ping by at least 100ms, nothing more annoying than being out of a red zone but still getting hit by it a second later.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I've done 4 back to back to back to back Cutters runs as my BLM. Cleared it all 4 times without a wipe. Got every treasure chest. Never a single piece of BLM rollable gear >:(

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I usually have good luck with PUG tanks but the one time I went with another goon to do the Sunken Temple our tank wasn't using any of his enmity skills. We managed to beat the first boss somehow, but after 30 minutes of beating our heads against the second one all the while nicely trying to tell him to "use your abilities" during which all we ever got was "ok" before he just suddenly quit.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

The lala bedtime animation is one of the best things in the game, but I'm disappointed there isn't a gif of the almost equally adorable wake-up animation.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
New thread needs update on the two most important rules of FFXIV:

1) Rose Pink EVERYTHRING

2) Back that rear end up

If you don't look good then you're not playing this game right.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Someone who was utterly soul-crushed by how relentlessly grindy and time-sinkish FFXI was give me a no bullshit assessment of FFXIV. Is it literally a full-time job to play this game?

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
To continue my healer queue bitching, I waited 25 minutes for Longstop on my WHM today. It's really funny and sad if I'm one of the last people in this game to be doing this dungeon, and the difficulty buying this game is actually so bad that no one else can play Longstop with me. :shrug:

doctor 7 posted:

Someone who was utterly soul-crushed by how relentlessly grindy and time-sinkish FFXI was give me a no bullshit assessment of FFXIV. Is it literally a full-time job to play this game?

I play maybe 3-4 hours a day on average and Eorzea has left me in its dust, so maybe?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Grondoth posted:

It takes off the glasses on the scholar's hat.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Most of the game can be played solo so no not really. Play at your own pace.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

doctor 7 posted:

Besides some aspects of the setting and some of the names of jobs, very little is similar between this game and FFXI. There's no equivalent to EXP camps, story quests are given consistently at all levels instead of doled out once every few hours, and every class can solo capably. For the times when groups are necessary to complete content, there's a LFG tool that'll match you with cross-server players while you do something else.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

sound_again posted:

To continue my healer queue bitching, I waited 25 minutes for Longstop on my WHM today. It's really funny and sad if I'm one of the last people in this game to be doing this dungeon, and the difficulty buying this game is actually so bad that no one else can play Longstop with me. :shrug:

I got a group of goons together to do Longstop when I needed it earlier today. There are definitely still people around going through the story and watching people go through questing zones alongside you is evidence of that. Lack of tanks seems to be the biggest issue with dungeon queues in later levels.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I made a giant post with tons of crafting info in the last thread. Chairman, do you want to include it in the OP, or should I just post it again here?

Also, to repeat my question from the last thread, what are crafters charging to attach materia?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
It probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyways.

Slap an authenticator on your account please! Don't be dumb and think that just because you browse safely and scrub your machine that you will never ever get hacked. If you have a smartphone (and really, you do, it's tyool 2013 you can get smartphones for free probably), download the authenticator app and link it to your account, it's free, it's easy, theres no reason not to.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

Never stop fishing.

HD no scope Fishercat

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Rafzakael posted:

Slap an authenticator on your account please! Don't be dumb and think that just because you browse safely and scrub your machine that you will never ever get hacked. If you have a smartphone (and really, you do, it's tyool 2013 you can get smartphones for free probably), download the authenticator app and link it to your account, it's free, it's easy, theres no reason not to.

And if you do install a Software Token, please remember to go back into the Square Enix account management and copy the Emergency Password somewhere safe!

Don't make the same mistake I did, and get locked out for a week thanks to someone doing a factory reset on my phone :cripes:

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Okay, question regarding Leves: if I'm aiming to get every craft/gather job to 50, what is the better idea for spending Leves, botany/mining or crafting jobs since I can turn in HQ items for bonus exp/gil? I'm thinking the gathering jobs because I can always just craft HQ items and sell them on the market for a profit, where botany and mining are ALWAYS slow to level if I'm doing it manually.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rynn posted:

How in the hell are you supposed to complete the Level 40 WHM quest O Brother Where Art Thou? The 4 sprites kick my rear end before I can even kill one. I use Stoneskin, Protect and Regen and sleep 3 of them. Trying to keep the other 3 asleep runs me out of mana way too quick. There has to be some better way, I can't imagine that a Level 40 WHM wouldn't be able to finish a Level 40 quest.

It shouldn't be too tough. I'm used to them being challenging, but not impossible. If you're having mana issues, pop Shroud of Saints early. Are you in cleric stance?

Also...if you die like, 2 or 3 times, the game gives you a buff called "The Echo", to make it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Martman posted:

Had my first failure of a PUG group today because of a derp tank, in Brayflox's Longstop. I've been told it's a common hurdle for, you know, idiots. That dragon seems like the most serious test of "can you avoid standing on bad things?" so far.
Wait until you try PUGging Amdapor Keep. I had great luck with duty finder up to here, but I've only passed that dungeon twice on five attempts - two groups took so long figuring out the dance steps at boss #2 that we didn't get more than one shot at the final boss before the timer ran out. v:v:v

• Locked thread