Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

AT LAST

Thank you YoshiP. You don't need to worry about me spitting in your eye....for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

y_y posted:

I'm really not looking forward to the questless grind from 46 to 49 (and then seemingly, 50). Game's been fine for the XP curve up to now, but right now it seems I have run out of quests.

There's plenty of quests at those levels, particularly the two big chains around 48-49. You need to keep up level wise with the story. There's a long Odin chain and then a get help from the Grand Companies/Cat People chain. They all start at the Waking Sands and are spread out over the whole world.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't call any of those quest lines long, but combine them all and you'll get the better part of a level and you'll get exp for finishing the maps for those areas. Add the fates you run into and you're going to get at close to two levels on those chains.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Something about the quests that's confusing me is that I skipped basically all of them while taking CNJ to 50, focusing instead on fates and dungeons. Like, I don't think I did ANY sidequests after like Aleport or something.

But the problem is, the game displays quests you can take for all of your characters. So now that I'm working on my level 22 ACN, I can't find any way to only display applicable quests for that class. Is there any reliable way to filter this or a reliable guide to "you're this level, there are quests here and here", because XIVDB isn't really fleshed out in that area yet.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I finally got my PLD to level 50. FATE-grinding at Ceruleum Processing Plant really made the last levels a breeze. Now I just need to do the last story-mission so that I can start grinding the end-game dungeons.

Sylvia Plathetic
Nov 15, 2009
I'm an EU player; are there any sizeable EU goon guilds, or should I start up on Excalibur and deal with time zone issues, larger portion sizes, and damnable incorrect pronunciations of e.g. Vase, Lieutentant?

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
Let me tell you how much fun Hard Mode Ifrit is with two Warriors and no AoE Limit Break.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Joshy Bear posted:

I'm an EU player; are there any sizeable EU goon guilds, or should I start up on Excalibur and deal with time zone issues, larger portion sizes, and damnable incorrect pronunciations of e.g. Vase, Lieutentant?

All the North American and European servers are hosted in Montreal, so even if you played on one of the (EU) marked servers, you wouldn't get any appreciable performance improvements. Pick whatever server you want.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Found a great, straight-forward guide to endgame gear, if anyone's interested:

http://www.belial.pt/ffxiv-endgame-relic-darklight-gear/

HandsomeBen posted:

Let me tell you how much fun Hard Mode Ifrit is with two Warriors and no AoE Limit Break.

I've done okay with two warriors (and I'm the healer). No AOE limit break though, seems to be not-good. Not too big a fan of "must bring this class" style encounters (not that it's impossible without the LB, but it seriously ramps up the difficulty). I don't know a good solution though that doesn't just make things more homogenous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Goons are such poopsockers you will have no problem finding people online at any time (while the game is still popular).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you have Artifact weapons in this too, or is it just Relic?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

:allears: I'm excitedly awaiting your shouts in Ul'dah sometime soon

You'll be waiting a long time as I have been hacked once. And I knew it was coming because I logged in on a laptop that I had a feeling it had viruses on it with a WoW account a friend gave me. So please keep waiting. It will probably happen the same time a WoW killer is released.

PS - I use an authenticator on my FFXIV account because there is no reason not to unless you're the aforementioned poster from my previous post quote.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

xZAOx posted:

Found a great, straight-forward guide to endgame gear, if anyone's interested:

http://www.belial.pt/ffxiv-endgame-relic-darklight-gear/

That guide is...mostly correct. The armor bit is fine, but the weapon part has some misinformation.

It should read:

Grand Company / Crafted
Darklight – Drops on The Wanderers Palace
Primal – Ifrit < Garuda = Titan

Darklight weapons from Wanderer's Palace are only ilvl 55, they are not as good as even the weakest of Primal (Ifrit) weapons. On top of that, Titan weapons have no statistical advantage over Garuda weapons.

The guide also seems to be suggesting that Allagan weapons are better than Relic+1, which isn't the case. They're rough equivalents.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Finally a single piece away from finishing the level 32 Dungeon Set for Casters.
The bad news is that I've never seen the hand piece drop from the third boss on any of the classes I've run it on, totally over 30 runs easily.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

euphronius posted:

Goons are such poopsockers you will have no problem finding people online at any time (while the game is still popular).

No problem finding people online, but lots of problems finding people to do higher level dungeons with you. Everyone seems too concerned with speed runs to help out any people who need important story dungeons like Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have noticed on occasion that sometimes Aetherflow sort of "fails". No stacks are generated by it but it goes on CD none the less. It's very rare, but have any other Arcanists noticed this?

I can't remember whether or not it also failed to give me my MP back when it did happen, but suffice it to say it's been fairly crippling every time it cropped up.

Platypus Farm posted:

I was screwing around with ACN running fates last night and this happened often enough that I noticed it.

Note: I am not very observant, so it happened more than once.

Not once have I ever had this happen on my Scholar and I use Aetherflow constantly. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with extreme lag (which might explain why it happens in FATEs)? Did you try pressing the button again to see if maybe it was showing cooldown but actually wasn't?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

cathead posted:

Not once have I ever had this happen on my Scholar and I use Aetherflow constantly. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with extreme lag (which might explain why it happens in FATEs)? Did you try pressing the button again to see if maybe it was showing cooldown but actually wasn't?

It's unrelated to lag. It goes on cooldown without actually doing anything, pushing it again availed me nothing. :( I've had it happen in perfectly latency free scenarios. Very annoying.

Edit: For reference, I am a SMN. It's the only class I play. I also use Aetherflow all day erry day, and even I've only seen this happen like...five times total.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Xenoletum posted:

No problem finding people online, but lots of problems finding people to do higher level dungeons with you. Everyone seems too concerned with speed runs to help out any people who need important story dungeons like Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium.

You could always just join a speed run, skip the cinematics and watch them back at the inn if you'd like. They're really neat dungeons. Both of them are more fun than endless AK runs.

edit: ACN aetherflow thing - mine was definitely under heavy lag. I was FATEing outside of Quarry mill, and there were probably three full groups and some stragglers. But, it was pretty obviously just misfiring. In those horrible conditions, I'm used to double-tapping skills to make sure they fire, but there were at least a couple times that aetherflow would go on cooldown, and there would be no buff applied.

What I don't know, though, is whether or not it was just the icon not appearing? Maybe the buff was actually applied, but the icon/animation just never went off? I'll be grinding ACN more tonight so I'll see if I can replicate it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Xenoletum posted:

Well, Castrum is typically speedran too as a decent source of tomes, that shouldn't be tough to find people, you'd think. Maybe the main goon guild is mostly onto farming Mythology or something though.

Praetorium though, I think you just have to suck it up and sit in the queue. It's a lengthy dungeon with a lot of cutscenes (some kinda long). It's an awesome run, but a pug will probably take 90 minutes at least to go through, including wiping a few times on later bosses. So it's understandable why people wouldn't want to re-run.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tonic316 posted:

You'll be waiting a long time as I have been hacked once. And I knew it was coming because I logged in on a laptop that I had a feeling it had viruses on it with a WoW account a friend gave me. So please keep waiting. It will probably happen the same time a WoW killer is released.

PS - I use an authenticator on my FFXIV account because there is no reason not to unless you're the aforementioned poster from my previous post quote.

Luckily he's the only person who owns a Windows phone so he's an edge case.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

xZAOx posted:

I've done okay with two warriors (and I'm the healer). No AOE limit break though, seems to be not-good. Not too big a fan of "must bring this class" style encounters (not that it's impossible without the LB, but it seriously ramps up the difficulty). I don't know a good solution though that doesn't just make things more homogenous.
You can do it, it just makes the fight about 1000x more complicated. I usually mark and tell the other warrior to tank. Mark Ifrit with a 1 when it's my turn and a 2 when it's their turn. To kill the nails you have to LB the first one, focus down the next two and LB the last one. It's pretty drat close every time but doable. I actually enjoy the fight when we have a Paladin to interrupt because tanking is fun.

I really want to level a Paladin but I really don't enjoy Gladiator, not at level 16 at least. I feel bad for healers when I'm tanking on my Warrior but the class is so drat fun.

Nebilim
Oct 21, 2010
I've had a similar thing happen a couple of times as a BLM in FATEs with tons of people where I cast Blizzard III and it doesn't grant the Astral Ice buff, leaving me with no MP when I'm expecting it to regen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I hit 50 on my warrior, ran WP twice and got a Darklight weapon. Should I run that a few more times before trying to tank CM and AK or can I jumped into those without too much problem?

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009

I have noticed on occasion that sometimes Aetherflow sort of "fails". No stacks are generated by it but it goes on CD none the less. It's very rare, but have any other Arcanists noticed this?

I can't remember whether or not it also failed to give me my MP back when it did happen, but suffice it to say it's been fairly crippling every time it cropped up.

I believe this is a result of a status bug. I noticed this as well last night when in AK. I would use Aetherflow but not gain the stacks. I could however still use the skills required.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Shoopuf posted:

These are all pretty drat beautiful. I love the Arcanist class, but there's so much variety with them that you take a while to get anything going. Those macros look perfect. :allears; Thank you so much!

Am I right in assuming that in all the examples, I choose whether to use <tt> or <t> depending on if I intend to target someone to heal and then attack my target's target, or target a monster to attack and then just heal whoever they're attacking? Theoretically I could make both into macros and use whichever for what situation I'm in?

It goes through the macro line by line and picks the first one that actually works. So this macro, for example;

code:
/macroicon "Physick"
/ac "Physick" <mo> 
/ac "Physick" <ft>
/ac "Physick" <tt>
/ac "Physick" <t>
The first line gives your macro the icon of Physick, complete with showing the cooldown and mp cost. The second line will cast on whatever target you have moused over, unless you don't have a moused target in which case that line fails and it goes onto the next line, and so on.

The macro actually falls apart in the last two lines, though. Macros like this work fine for attack spells, but for healing spells the system just gets confused. If it hits a line that tries to make you cast a healing spell on an enemy, it just defaults to casting it on you instead. In this case, if you have nothing moused over, no focus target set and an ally targeted who themselves has an enemy targeted, the macro gets to the "/ac "Physick" <tt>" line and goes "Oh, I'm trying to heal an enemy, better default to healing myself! :downs:" and never gets to the <t> line.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

BadLlama posted:

So I hit 50 on my warrior, ran WP twice and got a Darklight weapon. Should I run that a few more times before trying to tank CM and AK or can I jumped into those without too much problem?

Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium do not require any real gearing effort. They are pretty easy dungeons. A Darklight weapon and AF gear is fine for AK.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium do not require any real gearing effort. They are pretty easy dungeons. A Darklight weapon and AF gear is fine for AK.

GC weapon will work for AK as well so don't feel like you have to get lucky in WP.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Ak doesn't require any gearing effort either but you might run into people complaining like idiots. Nothing in there is a dps check (I guess the last boss kind of is, but it's so lenient that its not worth mentioning) or hits hard enough to kill a tank.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

xZAOx posted:

Praetorium though, I think you just have to suck it up and sit in the queue. It's a lengthy dungeon with a lot of cutscenes (some kinda long). It's an awesome run, but a pug will probably take 90 minutes at least to go through, including wiping a few times on later bosses. So it's understandable why people wouldn't want to re-run.

There's the issue and it comes off as a major FYGM. I'll gladly skip cutscenes if people are in a rush, but the lack of want to do it again for people who need the dungeon once is a shot in the foot. Then sitting there and telling them that they have to wait 1:30 in queue to do a dungeon that will take them 90 more minutes because pubbies is even worse. You limit the amount of Goons who will have an enjoyable time at the end and turn a group of people off of playing.

I'll gladly help players out at lower levels now that I'm 50, since doing non stop speed runs is boring. I'm going to make a linkshell later in the day for those who are willing to help lowbies as well, since I can't be the only person here who feels the same way.

Also it's hilarious to watch someone advertise for players for a castrum run and get no responses only for someone else say it a minute later but add the word speedrun in and get a flood of responses.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Ak doesn't require any gearing effort either but you might run into people complaining like idiots. Nothing in there is a dps check (I guess the last boss kind of is, but it's so lenient that its not worth mentioning) or hits hard enough to kill a tank.

This. It wouldn't make sense that AK would be gear limited, since you need to complete this dungeon if you want to unlock your GC weapon.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm totally game for that linkshell. God knows I've ran the first four dungeons 5-10 times just helping people.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, the last 4 Brayflox runs I've attempted on my grind for that set have all had Gladiator/Marauder tanks in lovely gear. I'm incredibly well geared as the healer so I can just about manage to keep them up through the first three bosses, but it's difficult and the chest pulls body people.

I shudder to think how discouraging it is for DPS'ers who need to pass it for story. The super long wait combined with bad tanks who are not up to the job must be so terrible. Why aren't they even getting their Job Crystals? It blows my mind.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first Brayflox I tried to tank I accidentally queued as MRD and when I noticed in the dungeon I couldn't change to WAR anymore. The Duty Finder is a nice tool but in many ways it's ridiculously unflexible.

Xenoletum posted:

There's the issue and it comes off as a major FYGM. I'll gladly skip cutscenes if people are in a rush, but the lack of want to do it again for people who need the dungeon once is a shot in the foot. Then sitting there and telling them that they have to wait 1:30 in queue to do a dungeon that will take them 90 more minutes because pubbies is even worse. You limit the amount of Goons who will have an enjoyable time at the end and turn a group of people off of playing.

I'll gladly help players out at lower levels now that I'm 50, since doing non stop speed runs is boring. I'm going to make a linkshell later in the day for those who are willing to help lowbies as well, since I can't be the only person here who feels the same way.

Also it's hilarious to watch someone advertise for players for a castrum run and get no responses only for someone else say it a minute later but add the word speedrun in and get a flood of responses.
To be fair it is a major design oversight to have these dungeons in the story progression without any real incentive for people to replay them. The same is true for the story mode primal fights (to a lesser degree, because they take much less time) and guildhests (which are at least completely optional). Not that this excuses certain behaviour, but Square isn't blameless in this matter.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Aurain posted:

Man, the last 4 Brayflox runs I've attempted on my grind for that set have all had Gladiator/Marauder tanks in lovely gear. I'm incredibly well geared as the healer so I can just about manage to keep them up through the first three bosses, but it's difficult and the chest pulls body people.

I shudder to think how discouraging it is for DPS'ers who need to pass it for story. The super long wait combined with bad tanks who are not up to the job must be so terrible. Why aren't they even getting their Job Crystals? It blows my mind.

On my last run I had a tank stand right in the middle of his narrow corridor AOE attack, each time it would knock him down to 1/4 HP. Needless to say: I was out of mana pretty quick.

I thought Haukke was an idiot check but Brayflox is on a whole 'nother level :cripes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Square wants you to make friends and join guilds. Not play it solo style with just using the duty finder to plow through the group content. That is the way it seems to me at least.

In that sense it is not a "design oversight".

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What reasons do pubs give saying AK is a gear check?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tonic316 posted:

What reasons do pubs give saying AK is a gear check?

The Demon Wall and last boss I can't spell kill you if you don't kill them quick enough.
Because of that, they are DPS races and gear checks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're difficult or strict ones.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Aurain posted:

The Demon Wall and last boss I can't spell kill you if you don't kill them quick enough.
Because of that, they are DPS races and gear checks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're difficult or strict ones.

So you can survive through their soft enrage with less then stellar dps?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Pubs, especially Tanks, should do some research before running dungeons. There is plenty websites and videos that run down all the boss battles in every dungeon.

Cant believe people actually do this poo poo blindly, especially as a tank. IMO its your responsibility to know WTF to do, especially on boss battles.

Yes these dungeons and game mechanics are a bit tougher than the average WoW dungeon, but this is not rocket science either. The beginning dungeons all the way through all the ones you need for story are common loving sense. And honestly call me lucky, but I have not had one that we could not clear through duty finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Aurain posted:

If it tells you anything about how strict the DPS race is on the last boss, I didn't even know he had a OHKO if you took too long. Demon wall, sure, but it's really really lenient. Especially since the first like 1/3 of the fight, the healer can just lay waste to the wall and not even bother healing.

• Locked thread