Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xZAOx posted:

Well, Castrum is typically speedran too as a decent source of tomes, that shouldn't be tough to find people, you'd think. Maybe the main goon guild is mostly onto farming Mythology or something though.

Praetorium though, I think you just have to suck it up and sit in the queue. It's a lengthy dungeon with a lot of cutscenes (some kinda long). It's an awesome run, but a pug will probably take 90 minutes at least to go through, including wiping a few times on later bosses. So it's understandable why people wouldn't want to re-run.

Also, as more of the non-poopsockers get higher level, queues will get much better. I don't know how you guys manage to level up so drat fast, I guess you're playing most of the day every day? If you're legacy then that sucks, but otherwise, just slow down a bit hm?

Even if this is the only videogame you're playing I don't know how you guys manage to play so much. :psyduck: And I'm a serious gaming nerd.

I'm JUST about to hit 30 and get my job crystal. No wonder there's nobody to queue you with at 50. The game has been out what, 2 weeks? Most players are NOT going to be max level yet. It takes a month or two at least.

At the end of the day doing a group means having people to group with. Duty finder can't do anything if there aren't enough people to work with. As more people hit 50 the times will come down, and as the times come down more and more people will be willing to do it, creating positive feedback.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

If it tells you anything about how strict the DPS race is on the last boss, I didn't even know he had a OHKO if you took too long. Demon wall, sure, but it's really really lenient. Especially since the first like 1/3 of the fight, the healer can just lay waste to the wall and not even bother healing.

Yeah, that. You're going to fail those races if your group is using woefully under levelled weapons so you're not doing good damage. That said, if you're in AK with a terrible weapon (and a lesser extent gear with low stat bonuses), the bigger issue is your inability to not be absolutely poo poo at this game, not the fact you can't pass a DPS race against 2 simple bosses.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

THE PWNER posted:

Ak doesn't require any gearing effort either but you might run into people complaining like idiots. Nothing in there is a dps check (I guess the last boss kind of is, but it's so lenient that its not worth mentioning) or hits hard enough to kill a tank.

Demon Wall definitely seems like a gear check, from our experience. I mean, by definition it is a DPS race. Granted, we also didn't have a melee to LB the wasps, which would make it less gear dependent. We couldn't clear it with just AF gear + level 44 GC weapons.

Note that we did refine our strat some, including the healer (me) nuking and wearing it down, but that bee spawn phase just ate us alive, even with all of us popping all our cooldowns. The wasps gotta die.

Xenoletum posted:

There's the issue and it comes off as a major FYGM. I'll gladly skip cutscenes if people are in a rush, but the lack of want to do it again for people who need the dungeon once is a shot in the foot. Then sitting there and telling them that they have to wait 1:30 in queue to do a dungeon that will take them 90 more minutes because pubbies is even worse. You limit the amount of Goons who will have an enjoyable time at the end and turn a group of people off of playing.

I'll gladly help players out at lower levels now that I'm 50, since doing non stop speed runs is boring. I'm going to make a linkshell later in the day for those who are willing to help lowbies as well, since I can't be the only person here who feels the same way.

Also it's hilarious to watch someone advertise for players for a castrum run and get no responses only for someone else say it a minute later but add the word speedrun in and get a flood of responses.

Yeah, I'm not saying I encourage it, just that it doesn't surprise me. It's a long time commitment when most other things can be done in 40-minute-ish chunks, if that. I know it's hard for me to find that much SOLID time with not evening a 10 minute break here and there to play. On Midgard we're usually happy to rerun lowbie poo poo (and have done so) and help each other out, but even Praetorium doesn't get much response.

I don't think it's fair to label it a FYGM situation when it's seriously a long undertaking with no reward for most people. For what it's worth - I had to queue for it by myself, but as healer my queue wasn't as miserable (about 20 minutes). If it was a 40 minute thing, it'd be much less of an issue.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know how you guys manage to level up so drat fast, I guess you're playing most of the day every day? If you're legacy then that sucks, but otherwise, just slow down a bit hm?

Even if this is the only videogame you're playing I don't know how you guys manage to play so much. :psyduck: And I'm a serious gaming nerd.

I hit 50 on Saturday, and I feel "behind" heh. I'm a "family dude who works over 40+ hours a week", but I play about 2 hours a day, but I've definitely been socking it on the weekends.

Peechka posted:

Cant believe people actually do this poo poo blindly, especially as a tank. IMO its your responsibility to know WTF to do, especially on boss battles.

Yes these dungeons and game mechanics are a bit tougher than the average WoW dungeon, but this is not rocket science either. The beginning dungeons all the way through all the ones you need for story are common loving sense. And honestly call me lucky, but I have not had one that we could not clear through duty finder.

We've blindly went into dungeons multiple times. I've said it before, and I'll say it again! The game generally does a very good job telling you about boss mechanics before you see them (on trash), and most of the other mechanics you can pick up in a wipe or two. They're pretty easy to figure out.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Was/will this game be available on PS3 via PSN? Plenty of PS3 discs in stock everywhere (and the SE store has PC digital in stock now as well) but PSN only shows the collector's edition as downloadable, and that link is broken to boot.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, as more of the non-poopsockers get higher level, queues will get much better. I don't know how you guys manage to level up so drat fast, I guess you're playing most of the day every day? If you're legacy then that sucks, but otherwise, just slow down a bit hm?

I'm JUST about to hit 30 and get my job crystal. No wonder there's nobody to queue you with at 50. The game has been out what, 2 weeks? Most players are NOT going to be max level yet. It takes a month or two at least.

At the end of the day doing a group means having people to group with. Duty finder can't do anything if there aren't enough people to work with. As more people hit 50 the times will come down, and as the times come down more and more people will be willing to do it, creating positive feedback.

I played real heavily the first two days the game was out, and about 3-4 hours a night after the kid is in bed since. I hit 50 on my first class about a week and a half after launch, or thereabouts. Of all the MMOs I've ever played, this one seems the quickest to get raw levels in. Gearing out for endgame is a different story, but at least there's some overlap in that darklight healing pieces work for both SCH and WHM, etc.

The real problem with end game queues is:

1) DPS and healers are oversaturated - DPS waaaaaaaay over saturated, but it's still an issue for healers
2) people still seem reticent to do anything but run AK or Ifrit hard, so all the other instances are less likely to pop
3) there are a whole lot of loving dicks at the top of the level bracket, which I'm sure is a massive turn-off for newer players or inexperienced players since they just get bawled out for making the tiniest mistakes.
4) related to #3 - I can't count how many pick-ups I've run that are going fine, then someone DCs or fucks up, and two people immediately go "loving moron" and drop group, because that's somehow more efficient than regrouping and continuing.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Fresh 50s can do it if they understand their class, though Demon Wall can be a little rude to BLMs.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Aurain posted:

The Demon Wall and last boss I can't spell kill you if you don't kill them quick enough.
Because of that, they are DPS races and gear checks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're difficult or strict ones.

The only way to reach either of those checks is for DPS to die though.

quote:

Demon Wall definitely seems like a gear check, from our experience. I mean, by definition it is a DPS race. Granted, we also didn't have a melee to LB the wasps, which would make it less gear dependent. We couldn't clear it with just AF gear + level 44 GC weapons.

The wasps aren't really a dps check - you can whittle them down slowly if you need to. Obviously killing them faster helps, but as long as the boss isn't hitting you and you're interrupting/dodging their aoe you can stay alive indefinitely. Maybe level 44 weapons are a bit low though.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 16, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

I can't count how many pick-ups I've run that are going fine, then someone DCs or fucks up, and two people immediately go "loving moron" and drop group, because that's somehow more efficient than regrouping and continuing.

My favourite examples of this are when the person who ends up throwing a tantrum at every other player and leaving is the person who is indisputably at fault. I've had my fair share of Medica II spamming WHM's in CM pull a colossus, take a cleave that wipes them out and another player or two and leave because the other healer was a scrub for letting them get one shot and the tank should have had aggro.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

THE PWNER posted:

The only way to reach either of those checks is for DPS to die though.

The real dps check on the wall is the wasps, as was mentioned above, though I guess the wall himself can be if the party is dead or braindead. But yeah without a solid melee LB the wasps can be really tough, especially if someone isn't quite on point or whatever.

edit: yeah, what you edited in is true. But drat do those things get people panicking.

edit: ^^^ yes! The last one I had was a dragoon of all things, bawling out everyone for whatever slights he perceived. Of course, who was the one who wouldn't stop breaking sleeps and got us wiped on the last pull? I wonder...

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Peechka posted:

Pubs, especially Tanks, should do some research before running dungeons. There is plenty websites and videos that run down all the boss battles in every dungeon.

Cant believe people actually do this poo poo blindly, especially as a tank. IMO its your responsibility to know WTF to do, especially on boss battles.

Yes these dungeons and game mechanics are a bit tougher than the average WoW dungeon, but this is not rocket science either. The beginning dungeons all the way through all the ones you need for story are common loving sense. And honestly call me lucky, but I have not had one that we could not clear through duty finder.
I haven't tanked a single fight where I felt I needed to watch a video beforehand. I'll look at AK and WP before I do them but I don't feel it's necessary.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had a PLD bitching at me for not doing the healer 3 bar LB as soon as the other healer died during Ifrit HM once during the inside plumes after Ifrit's hellfire.

While he was typing his tirade, Ifrit did the eruption on his rear end before the plumes, PLD didn't stun it because he was typing and wiped us all. I was waiting until that sequence was done to minimise the risk of everyone getting instantly re-murdered by plumes/cleaves. That wipe was my fault and he left because of it according to him. I think they leave because they feel pretty bad about doing badly to be honest, not because it's someone else's fault.

e: AK/WP and possibly Qarn are the only dungeons I think you should read up on first. The AK bosses are easy mechanic wise but could trick you, WP has some nice mechanics, especially the last boss that you're probably wanting to know, and Qarn is fairly similar in that regard too.

I think you can get away without watching videos on any of them, but it's probably unfair on the other three party members in those dungeons.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 16, 2013

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
We had a bad healer last night in Stone Vigil. It was my first time tanking it so I thought I was doing something wrong. We had like 4 wipes of getting him to like 5%.

But as it tuns out the healer just could not get out of the way of the first bosses breath. We kept on telling him over and over that he has to run behind dragon when he runs towards the wall. Well i guess he could not handle it so he left. He got replaced with another healer through the queue and we one shot the rest of the bosses, the last one with like 5 min to spare, thank god.

toast288
Nov 30, 2012
Might be a bit late to say it, but great OP.

I might suggest we add a note about the controller support for this game since it's a bit unusual (but very good for lower-level stuff). I'd be interested to see if there are any pro-tips for people who use controllers on harder, higher-level dungeons, if there are any.

Also, :sigh: to all you people and your end-game grinding discussions. I'm just a poor, jealous, little 31 WHM who is struggling to find something with better stats than my cowl (god, they're hideous).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HandsomeBen posted:

I haven't tanked a single fight where I felt I needed to watch a video beforehand. I'll look at AK and WP before I do them but I don't feel it's necessary.

You probably have more functioning brain cells than the majority of the tanks people are apparently encountering. But I agree with you, so far nothing has required a video and only a short explanation of avoid AOE, adds will pop burn them down etc helped out.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

HandsomeBen posted:

Still, IMO a little research goes a long way, again, especially if you are the tank. But like I said, this poo poo is not rocker science either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Let people get surprised for their first time, they have forever to do fights as mandated by theorycrafting and mechanics afterwards.

HandsomeBen posted:

There are a bunch of fights where knowing what's going on helps, and isn't completely obvious. The last boss of sunken temple eg. But generally when my groups failed in dungeons it wasn't because people did the encounters wrong.

No amount of video watching will help if the tank just ignores everything but the one mob or boss he's tanking, while the rest of the party gets eaten by adds. Or if DPS is so low/keeps dying to raid damage you wipe because you couldn't kill the nail, heart, wasp or what have you in time.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
My wife, who has no experience with MMO has had no problem tanking up to the Manor on MRD. This is without me helping/partying/coaching her on mechanics. This is not a very hard game to learn, people just need to pay attention and give new players a chance to figure this all out.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

HandsomeBen posted:

You can get through those without prior knowledge after a few wipes. Your group is going to bitch you out on AKs last boss if you dont position him exactly right.

Once you hit the hard mode primals you are doing everyone a disservice if you dont watch a youtube beforehand. It doesent depend on reaction, it doesent depend on observation. It depends on you having prior knowledge of exactly where to be in those rooms at all times so you dont wipe the group. It has nothing to do with common sense or skill or whatever else, its knowing the mechanics inside and out.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Yeah I haven't watched a video for any fight so far and I really don't plan to. At worst I might wipe the group once and then say "oh now I get it." Big loving deal.

The only time in the past I've ever bothered watching videos for stuff I haven't done was for "applying to a raiding guild" full of people I don't know who I really wanted to give a good first impression to. That was when I was a dumb idiot who cared about that stuff though. Please never do that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Aurain posted:

WP has some nice mechanics, especially the last boss that you're probably wanting to know

We did WP last night without knowing anything. First two we figured out on our own fine, but last one we kept playing around until we barely, with 1:30 left, killed the last boss with a slight change. What do people recommend for him?

For the record, we first started off by killing the adds when they showed up. Then we saw that was making the boss meaner, so our tank started kiting. Then we died on the big guys. We did more runs with him kiting, and me (healer) working in nukes, but still couldn't drop him before the big guys reached us. Last run, right as the big guys spawned, we use an AOE LB on the group of little dudes, which would thought would one-shot the tank, but it didn't. Then we all just DPS burned him down before the big guys really moved much.

I get the feeling we didn't completely do it the "intended" way, so was just curious what it was.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

What do people recommend for him?

Basically have one DPS assigned to kill/kite adds. You need to watch boss stacks and make sure it doesn't go past 4. 4 stacks will hurt a lot. As soon as the boss does his massive damage hit the healer needs to have already been precasting a Cure II or whatever and if you are a WAR you should expend Inner Beast to help get your health backup. Then simply repeat. Once the big guys come out it is a straight DPS race to get the boss down. Use your LB and even have the healer throw on some DPS if possible, make sure everyone saved DPS cooldowns for this stretch.

As a tank anything you can do to limit damage/heal yourself will help out your healers mana bar in this fight. Oh also tank the boss in the very center so it gives you more time to kill him before his bros come and slice you up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

xZAOx posted:

Found a great, straight-forward guide to endgame gear, if anyone's interested:

http://www.belial.pt/ffxiv-endgame-relic-darklight-gear/

I've done okay with two warriors (and I'm the healer). No AOE limit break though, seems to be not-good. Not too big a fan of "must bring this class" style encounters (not that it's impossible without the LB, but it seriously ramps up the difficulty). I don't know a good solution though that doesn't just make things more homogenous.

You can do ifrit just fine with a melee limit break, it's just not faceroll over it in a pug easy anymore.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Basically have one DPS assigned to kill/kite adds. You need to watch boss stacks and make sure it doesn't go past 4. 4 stacks will hurt a lot. As soon as the boss does his massive damage hit the healer needs to have already been precasting a Cure II or whatever and if you are a WAR you should expend Inner Beast to help get your health backup. Then simply repeat. Once the big guys come out it is a straight DPS race to get the boss down. Use your LB and even have the healer throw on some DPS if possible, make sure everyone saved DPS cooldowns for this stretch.

As a tank anything you can do to limit damage/heal yourself will help out your healers mana bar in this fight.

To add to this, if you have a BLM and you're at the point where the big dudes have spawned, the small tonberries can be slept. Just remember to put it back up again before it runs out if you need some more time to kill the boss because they will destroy the BLM.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah I haven't watched a video for any fight so far and I really don't plan to. At worst I might wipe the group once and then say "oh now I get it." Big loving deal.

The only time in the past I've ever bothered watching videos for stuff I haven't done was for "applying to a raiding guild" full of people I don't know who I really wanted to give a good first impression to. That was when I was a dumb idiot who cared about that stuff though. Please never do that.

Well, just from a courtesy perspective, if you're going to run with a big group of people who know what they're doing, it's polite to also have a clue, even if it's just from watching a video or asking someone to explain it beforehand. Just about the only time I get irritated with someone is if the group is asked "has anyone not done this before?" and of course everyone clams up, not wanting to look dumb and then stands there and gets plowed by garuda's aoe.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Acelerion posted:

You can get through those without prior knowledge after a few wipes. Your group is going to bitch you out on AKs last boss if you dont position him exactly right.

They should root that boss in the very centre of that room. I'd love to see exactly how many people are incapable of running behind pillars at the correct time. Or make the AoE explosion centred on the boss. That would work too!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
*nothing to see here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BadLlama posted:

As a tank anything you can do to limit damage/heal yourself will help out your healers mana bar in this fight. Oh also tank the boss in the very center so it gives you more time to kill him before his bros come and slice you up.

4 should be doable with any AF geared tank, but if you're not confident with it, there's not a lot wrong with leaving the stacks at three too. There'll be more raid damage to heal as an offset, but it gives your tank more leeway which may be more useful depending on how your group feels.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Once? There are possibly 5+ different ways in which you can get a group killed on garuda alone. Thats 5 tries before you get the mechanics down. Now add that people rage quit after about 3 and a near certain chance youre going to have at least 2 people going in blind for any pug and all of a sudden it takes 30 attempts to get past something you knew how to do the first time because you watched a single video.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Peechka posted:

I thought part of the fun was figuring it out for yourself :shrug: When I'm looking up videos and walkthroughs before doing anything, I really lose all sense of adventure

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

toast288 posted:

Might be a bit late to say it, but great OP.

I might suggest we add a note about the controller support for this game since it's a bit unusual (but very good for lower-level stuff). I'd be interested to see if there are any pro-tips for people who use controllers on harder, higher-level dungeons, if there are any.

(Relatively fresh) LV.50 SCH Controller-user chiming in;

I've played as a healer (mostly SCH, with some lowbie CNJ duties) in every Duty/Guildhest/FATE farming queue up until now without any real issues healing. To be totally honest though, starting from around Cutter's Cry dungeon and onward, Healing got a little more intensive than what I was used to so it took some adjusting.

:science:

What works for me, and what I found to be the most important, is to really make sure you've got all your essential abilities on a single controller set. You've got exactly 16 keys on a single set, and you should really make the most of it so you don't waste time or stumble around doing the L1/LB+Button switching back and forth between sets. I'm fairly certain that the developers also have this in mind, since I haven't felt like I absolutely need to bounce between bars (yet) to perform my role.

Following the above advice, Any abilities which are used scarcely or situationally, should be placed on a separate bar from your main 16-key toolset. In the case of SCH, I place abilities/spells like Protect, Limit Break, Summon Eos/Selene, Sustain, Mount, Summon Companion, Swiftcast, Ressurection, and even consumables like Potions/Ethers/Elixirs/Echo Drops, all on a separate bar.

Apart from this, I also tend to group similar abilities together in the set since I personally find it easier for my mind to categorize them that way, but you can sort them however best suits you really. For example, I've got my four restorative spells (Physick, Succor, Adloqium, Leeches) assigned to R2+Face Buttons, while I've got all my abilities which revolve around Aetherflow Charges (including Aetherflow, Lustrate, Sacred Soil, and Energy Drain) set to R2+D-Pad. Like I mentioned, I find it really easy when I group abilities up that way, and at this point it's become second nature. You could even try things like L2+____ is dedicated towards buffs and offense type abilities, while R2+___ is dedicate towards heals.

For offensive attack spells, I have a single button macro which cycles through all my offensive abilities (Miasma, Bio 2, Bio, Thunder, Aero). If I ever catch a breather in-between heals, I'll just hit that macro and interrupt myself whenever I need to switch back into heals.

Another neat tip that many people might not know about, which I find to be a boon for controller-using healers, but if you go into your "Party Members" menu you can actually manually sort your party members in any way you'd like, and it updates the order they are displayed in the party tab at the top left. I personally like to group it so that in an 8-man dungeon, it shows the 2 healers, then the 2 tanks, then the DPS. Just makes it quicker to select the tanks when choosing who to target with your D-Pad.

Hope this helps, I'd love to hear more tips from other controller users.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 16, 2013

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Acelerion posted:

Once? There are possibly 5+ different ways in which you can get a group killed on garuda alone. Thats 5 tries before you get the mechanics down. Now add that people rage quit after about 3 and a near certain chance youre going to have at least 2 people going in blind for any pug and all of a sudden it takes 30 attempts to get past something you knew how to do the first time because you watched a single video.

You don't have to watch a video to be told "the boss does this, move out of it, everything else is really obvious"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Love that new thread smell.

Now that Myth stones have reset, it looks like AK is once again stuck at Reserving Instance for up to an hour at a time, what with everyone trying to get their myths back to cap for the week. I had mistakenly believed the last patch solved this particular issue. :( With any luck, it'll get better the more people reach their caps.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

You don't have to watch a video to be told "the boss does this, move out of it, everything else is really obvious"

How far are you into the game? Because things arnt that simple unfortunately.

Say what you will about mechanics like this (I dont like them) but most of the end game stuff has crap that no amount of reaction or foresight could have prevented. The only way to possibly avoid them beyond being lucky is to take it to the face a few times before hand so you know exactly where to be before there is any clue you needed to be there.

Ifrit hard mode is a good example. In phase 2 he does the outside-inside-everywhere but directly under him explosion puddles. If you arnt hugging his nuts by the time the last thing is even visible, you die.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Lothire posted:

Love that new thread smell.

Now that Myth stones have reset, it looks like AK is once again stuck at Reserving Instance for up to an hour at a time, what with everyone trying to get their myths back to cap for the week. I had mistakenly believed the last patch solved this particular issue. :( With any luck, it'll get better the more people reach their caps.

I'm a little bit cynical that this will get better until they add more options for myth stone farming. Sure, there's Coil, but people are so afraid of even Garuda hard that there's no chance of that becoming a popular farming method for a while yet.

Oh, hey, you know what they could do? Remember my idea that hunting logs should be made random and repeatable? Add hunting logs for dungeons, and make it so that for every set of three you complete, you get 100 myth stones. Why not? It isn't like AK is actually hard, and it would still be quicker to farm AK or whatever than run 3 random dungeons, but if people are stuck in this "must overgear everything to bother trying it" mindset, this would certainly help.

edit: Hell, while they're at it, cap the number of myth stones you can get like this to 100/week if it ruffles feathers, though I don't see how it would.

There you go square, I just fixed your leveling-dungeons-are-abandoned problem as well as your AK-is-constantly-overstressed problem. Send me a check.

Rotanee
Feb 15, 2007

boho posted:

The best part is that he's already level 50. It's a transparent attempt to make his "achievement" worth more. I wonder if he's one of the level 50s that intentionally kill the lambs to end the event early?

Considering every other FATE that spawns mobs but whose objective is not directly completed by killing those mobs works the exact same way with the same potential for grinding, I'm going to assume they either don't care or didn't think jury-rigging a fix was worth the time.

Yoshi has explicitly stated there are no intentions to change FATEs until the initial rush is over, because doing anything now would be a knee jerk reaction to a unique moment in the game's life.

They would do well to scale these things--even if to adjust hit points based on the number of people present.

It would solve a lot of these problems where people can't tag mobs, and make it better when you come on FATEs (yes, this happens) with only one or two people and lack the DPS. It would also slow down the near instant spawns people are farming.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So what is the best shield I can get at 50 for a Paladin minus the Darksteel Scutum and the Darklight shield from WP. Feeling really gimpy with my level 44 GC shield :(

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Acelerion posted:

How far are you into the game? Because things arnt that simple unfortunately.

Say what you will about mechanics like this (I dont like them) but most of the end game stuff has crap that no amount of reaction or foresight could have prevented. The only way to possibly avoid them beyond being lucky is to take it to the face a few times before hand so you know exactly where to be before there is any clue you needed to be there.

Ifrit hard mode is a good example. In phase 2 he does the outside-inside-everywhere but directly under him explosion puddles. If you arnt hugging his nuts by the time the last thing is even visible, you die.

I've done everything up to turn 2 coil without videos? I really don't get how videos are apparently an absolute necessity to go into a fight without ruining it for everyone else and making things take 30 more attempts like some people claim. Short written explanations have been fine for me and everyone I've done things with so far.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

I've done everything up to turn 2 coil without videos? I really don't get how videos are apparently an absolute necessity to go into a fight without ruining it for everyone else and making things take 30 more attempts like some people claim. Short written explanations have been fine for me and everyone I've done things with so far.

My experience running with pugs and being ahead of the curve is the opposite. To each their own.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Now come on, Amazon... I have money just sitting in my account, waiting for you to throw the switch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Man, I want to start playing with a controller just so I can tell PUGs I'm doing so and watch them flip their poo poo. People get salty enough when you watch cutscenes or don't have perfect gear, imagine how pissed they'll be when you say you're tanking with a controller.

• Locked thread