Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

So now that I'm going to need hella crafting materia, I should be spirit bonding poo poo and converting it right?

Should I just craft some accessories and run CT2?

If you can get into a group (either pubs or FC) at the water sprite fountain at the end of Urth's Gift you can sb a full suit of 45+ crafter gear in 30 minutes or so with almost zero risk. Two meteor survivor rings and a spiritbond potion are recommended for best effect. Meld throwaway materia to the equipment if you want to go even faster. Bring extra suits because you will need to do this a lot if you want to avoid paying millions for all those materia.

CT also works, though it takes longer and random deaths caused by alliance members doing stupid things will make your sb potions wear off.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Thundarr posted:

If you can get into a group (either pubs or FC) at the water sprite fountain at the end of Urth's Gift you can sb a full suit of 45+ crafter gear in 30 minutes or so with almost zero risk. Two meteor survivor rings and a spiritbond potion are recommended for best effect. Meld throwaway materia to the equipment if you want to go even faster. Bring extra suits because you will need to do this a lot if you want to avoid paying millions for all those materia.

CT also works, though it takes longer and random deaths caused by alliance members doing stupid things will make your sb potions wear off.

If you're a black mage, in Urth's Gift, you can just throw a flare on the pile and get SB out of parties. Piggybacked off of a WHM farm group while waiting in queue.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
High level fishing is basically the best, ground out my i70 hat in the space of half a season of a TV show. Looking forward to getting the i70 rod in another season, then endlessly trying to desynth into swimsuits.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Demolish can be interrupted by Fluid Aura. Fluid Aura can also miss, so beware.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
drat, someone in my ST had a pretty kickin glamour set

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Two important questions:

1. What clothing/armor is that?

2. Can I put it on my Lalafell and be midget Chun Li?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

Two important questions:

1. What clothing/armor is that?

2. Can I put it on my Lalafell and be midget Chun Li?

Augmented Monk AF chest, some sort of variant of tights and..I forget the boots, but they're all-class. So only if you get MNK to 50 and have a fair bit of cashola for the augment stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CJacobs posted:

2. Can I put it on my Lalafell and be Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Chun Li?

Lalafell superiority.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The anniversary countdown picture for today is great. Leviathan is so happy.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
So, DRG in T9. With my rotation and SS, I hit Disembowel right as Nael does the first jump of the Iron Chariot combo. Should I save Spineshatter for this to chase her and hit my Chaos Thrust? Once or twice I managed to pull off a sick Elusive Jump to chase, hit Chaos, and still get out of Iron Chariot, but I feel like that is A Bad Idea. And should I hit a few Piercing Talons while huddled for Thermionic, or is that just a waste of TP?

Basically teach me how to DPS please.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

The anniversary countdown picture for today is great. Leviathan is so happy.

And look at Ifrit! :3:

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
How much time do the group activities in this game take? I can't play for even 3hours straight and need breaks because of RSI. Can i still have fun in this game? Thanks in advance!

edit, i am especially interested in dungeon runs

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 12, 2014

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Most group content has a max time of 90mins. Sometimes 60mins. If you run up against those limits it's a sign of stuff going pretty wrong. You may want to consider if playing with a controller, or mouse and keyboard is better for your condition. Both are available on both PC and PS4. Though I'd suggest having a keyboard available for being able to chat with friends and party members regardless.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FunkyFlashman posted:

How much time do the group activities in this game take? I can't play for even 3hours straight and need breaks because of RSI. Can i still have fun in this game? Thanks in advance!

You definitely can. I can't think of a single group thing which took longer than 30-40 minutes. There's stuff that can take a while, like hunts, but you can drop in and out at any time.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Wow that is much much better then what i expected. Awesome. Now i need a real real good name hmm. Time to get pencil and paper.
:dance:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Remember, Biggest Race is Best Race.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pksage posted:

So, DRG in T9. With my rotation and SS, I hit Disembowel right as Nael does the first jump of the Iron Chariot combo. Should I save Spineshatter for this to chase her and hit my Chaos Thrust? Once or twice I managed to pull off a sick Elusive Jump to chase, hit Chaos, and still get out of Iron Chariot, but I feel like that is A Bad Idea. And should I hit a few Piercing Talons while huddled for Thermionic, or is that just a waste of TP?

Basically teach me how to DPS please.

Are you using fracture? Once your GCD drops below 2.4s, you'll have enough time at the end of your two combos to throw on another GCD before your heavy thrust ends. This will also keep you from stepping on your phlebotomize/chaos thrust dots without having to actually pause and wait for them to wear off.

So the way it normally works for me is I throw a plebotomize right before she does the first jump. If I'm able to start the chaos thrust combo before she jumps, I'll spine shatter to hit disembowel on her then run to the middle. The moment she turns around and faces the group in the center, you're free to start running back to position. If you keep your back to the position, you can elusive jump straight back and smack her again.

If I don't get impulse drive off before she jumps, I'll just run to the middle and either spineshatter to her after iron chariot or elusive jump back, use fracture because I'll be at the tail end of my HT buff, then just heavy thrust and chaos thrust combo.

Also, if you grab some HQ potions of strength, you can use them to start off the battle and will have them available again for Ghosts of Mercydia post golems. I tend to use mega-pots to start the battle and save my x-pots until ghosts. To maximize benefit of the pots, you want full buffs. I personally go HT, B4B, Impulse Drive, Inner Release, Disembowel, pot of str, chaos thrust, power surge, phlebotomize, jump, true thrust, dragonfire dive, vorpal thrust, life surge, full thrust, spineshatter dive, fracture, leg sweep, HT.

If you have enough skill speed, the 15 second pot will last all the way to the HT at the end. With mega pots of str I crit on full thrust around 1750 and with x-pots are right around 1800.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FunkyFlashman posted:

Wow that is much much better then what i expected. Awesome. Now i need a real real good name hmm. Time to get pencil and paper.
:dance:

This game does a fantastic job of letting you actually accomplish things in fairly short time spans. I play for an hour most mornings and that's enough time to run a dungeon and do some running around. And that's a DPS so my queues to get in are longer.

Ran CT2 this morning and we ended up with 5 Bards in our alliance, it was hilarious. Too bad we got all Monk and Dragoon gear for drops.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ouhei posted:

This game does a fantastic job of letting you actually accomplish things in fairly short time spans. I play for an hour most mornings and that's enough time to run a dungeon and do some running around. And that's a DPS so my queues to get in are longer.

Yeah, it's worth noting that if you are a dps, especially ranged, you may sometimes have a queue wait that is comparable to the time you will actually be in the dungeon. If your time is limited, start the party finder queue as soon as you log in to make sure you get your dungeoning finished before you have to go.

If you are a healer or tank just queue whenever you want because it will be nearly instant.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, it's worth noting that if you are a dps, especially ranged, you may sometimes have a queue wait that is comparable to the time you will actually be in the dungeon. If your time is limited, start the party finder queue as soon as you log in to make sure you get your dungeoning finished before you have to go.

If you are a healer or tank just queue whenever you want because it will be nearly instant.

True, while I was leveling, I'd queue up then go do quests. Now I queue up and go farm Atma while I wait.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just wish Feint was an actual useful ability. If it inflicted a movement debuff or any type of debuff that actually hits endgame mobs it would be great. Right now it's basically just a useless skill that I never touch. I use all the rest of my skills on my drg, but feint never really has a home outside of early game soloing. I've been trying to think of other equally useless skills, and tri-disaster is the only one that pops to mind and it has some utility at least.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The way this game has evolved from the worst MMO launch in history to be the best one since World of Warcraft is nothing short of remarkable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Okay, so I should use a full set of gear? What ilvl of the gear should I be aiming for? 45-50?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just wish Feint was an actual useful ability. If it inflicted a movement debuff or any type of debuff that actually hits endgame mobs it would be great. Right now it's basically just a useless skill that I never touch. I use all the rest of my skills on my drg, but feint never really has a home outside of early game soloing. I've been trying to think of other equally useless skills, and tri-disaster is the only one that pops to mind and it has some utility at least.

Tridisaster looks really cool.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think rather than changing how Feint works, it'd be nicer to simply have a fight or two designed around slow mechanics. Like as a particularly boring example, a boss with an uninterruptable attack where the cast can be slowed (can slows apply during casting?), and the party needs to execute A Thing in that amount of time, otherwise bad things happen.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

(can slows apply during casting?)

no

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is feint useful at all in PVP or is it not worth the GCD? If they just made feint an off-GCD it would be useful in the same way leg sweep is, that is just a small bit of extra DPS every 20 seconds or so.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is feint useful at all in PVP or is it not worth the GCD? If they just made feint an off-GCD it would be useful in the same way leg sweep is, that is just a small bit of extra DPS every 20 seconds or so.

Not at all, most people won't even notice that their GCD is slightly longer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

pksage posted:

Poor Shiva, stuck under a sheet with a ribbon wrapped around it.

[edit] Actually, its an ice shard, isn't it?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 12, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Alakaiser posted:

I think rather than changing how Feint works, it'd be nicer to simply have a fight or two designed around slow mechanics. Like as a particularly boring example, a boss with an uninterruptable attack where the cast can be slowed (can slows apply during casting?), and the party needs to execute A Thing in that amount of time, otherwise bad things happen.

Boss goes nuts and wails on some button that if it gets hit too many times it triggers a raid wipe. The only way to prevent it is to slow the boss down so it can't hit the thing enough times to cause it to explode.

E: Off the top of my head I can imagine Kraken smashing islands into the sea with a tentacle by hitting them too fast. Or even better, the islands have X amount of health points and you lose places to run to if he destroys them so the trick is to keep them alive as long as possible using Slow.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 12, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pretty sure it's either just a giant crystal or an aetheryte.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still trying to work out what is going on with Garuda's face, personally. Maybe I'm seeing the wrong perspective but it looks to me like she's looking down and left, kind of downcast? Which doesn't make any sense at all!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Or Hydaelyn.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:doh: Of course, its Hydaelyn. She's even got a fragment orbiting her like that. I just didn't think she'd be hanging out with the Primals.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I would nix the suggestion of Meteor Survivor Rings. The +spiritbond on them won't speed things up enough to make up for the fact that it's two fewer slots for you to get materia. Having the gear you're spiritbonding be HQ, as well as each materia melded into that gear, is an appreciable boost to spiritbonding speed. +Spiritbond is a very minor boost in comparison. Go with two crafting rings instead.

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, so I should use a full set of gear? What ilvl of the gear should I be aiming for? 45-50?

Item level 1-29 = tier 1 with occasional tier 2.
Item level 30-44 = tier 2 with occasional tier 3.
Item level 45-55 = tier 3 with occasional tier 4.
Item level 70+ = guaranteed tier 4. (However, there are no convertible crafting or gathering items above ilevel 55, so this really only applies to when you want combat elemental materia.)

I want to say "occasional" is something like flat-rate 10%? But that's just an anecdotal sense, and I haven't done any thorough testing to back it up.

So depending on what tier of materia you're going for, wear something in the appropriate ilevel range. If you have multiple options, go for the lowest ilevel option. All that a higher ilevel option within the same range will do, is spiritbond more slowly.

And you should always be killing things with effective levels at or above the ilevel of the gear you want to spiritbond; it slows way the gently caress down if your gear is higher level than the poo poo you're killing. Which is why ilevel 70+ and even ilevel 55 stuff spiritbonds at a snail's pace in the open world. Dungeon enemies, I think, for spiritbonding purposes count as whatever level that dungeon drops for loot, e.g. CT1 enemies count as 80 and CT2 enemies count as 100.

On top of that, the item level 55 crafting rings (Aetheryte Rings) turn into combat materia instead of crafting materia. But you should be using Electrum Rings of Crafting for spiritbonding anyway, since they're the same ilevel range but lower ilevel.

A full set of gear means you'll have gently caress-all for combat stats except for your weapon and your base stats. If you're in a decently sized spiritbond group, this is fine. If you're solo or in a very small group, consider spiritbonding just right-side accessories just so you can kill things at a not-pathetic pace.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Speaking of slow, is a blm's Lethargy ever useful at all? It seems like every time I cast it, the enemy is immune to all of its effects, and if it does work it doesn't seem to make a notable difference to anything.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Speaking of slow, is a blm's Lethargy ever useful at all? It seems like every time I cast it, the enemy is immune to all of its effects, and if it does work it doesn't seem to make a notable difference to anything.

The most common use is for Dreadknights in Turn 5. Not sure about in Second Coil.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You won't normally be using it, but it has a few rare uses. The experimental samples in Amon's fight in ST can have their movement slowed to a crawl by it.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There are a few endgame things that benefit from being slowed: Dreadnoughts and Renauds off the top of my head. However, BLMs are rarely charged with handling either of those two dudes except in emergency "oh poo poo the PLD/BRD/SMN is dead" moments, so you probably won't use it much anyway!

Probably pretty nice in PvP, though.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
You almost certainly won't see any battles built around applying status effects unless that status effect is available to all classes that fill a role, which just leaves you stun and heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Crazy Larry posted:

You almost certainly won't see any battles built around applying status effects unless that status effect is available to all classes that fill a role, which just leaves you stun and heavy.

Remember that book that dropped in Molten Core just to give Hunters something to do in raid content

• Locked thread