Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Melee DPS get priority queues as far as I'm aware. Probably to do with their limit break being more useful overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a bit stupid that ranged DPS has to wait a lot longer.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
The fist weapons from the Lightning event are absolutely ridiculous. It's like I'm swinging around giant sheets of metal.

At least the Snow outfit looks pretty rad if you dye it a bit.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

there are fewer melee dps, so their queue times are shorter.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, he's straight up wrong, they split the queue times for melee and ranged DPS a long time ago.

I was not aware of this. Of course it doesn't matter now since the last thing I have left to get to 50 is my PLD, which I'll save for my fc buds who'll end up needing a tank to taxi them through stuff anyway.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, he's straight up wrong, they split the queue times for melee and ranged DPS a long time ago.

From 2.25 patch notes:

quote:

The average waiting time for Melee DPS and Ranged DPS will now be displayed separately in the Duty Finder.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Akujiki posted:

Melee DPS get priority queues as far as I'm aware. Probably to do with their limit break being more useful overall.

The way it was explained to me today, Melee and Ranged Queue separately. The game by default tries to pair one melee and one ranged with your tank and healer, but if ranged vastly outnumber melee or vice versa, it'll start pairing up two of one kind up in order to get groups going.

With the ninja flood in 2.4, it'll acually probably mean that the ranged dps queue timers go down and melee goes up. I kind of want to roll arcanist, but the level 1-30 slog with poo poo queue timers will probably make me wait until Ninjas to power through to 30.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

The way it was explained to me today, Melee and Ranged Queue separately. The game by default tries to pair one melee and one ranged with your tank and healer, but if ranged vastly outnumber melee or vice versa, it'll start pairing up two of one kind up in order to get groups going.

With the ninja flood in 2.4, it'll acually probably mean that the ranged dps queue timers go down and melee goes up. I kind of want to roll arcanist, but the level 1-30 slog with poo poo queue timers will probably make me wait until Ninjas to power through to 30.

I'd get in now and get it up to 30 and do SCH because I imagine people who normally tank and heal will also roll ninja so there's gonna be a huge lack of them for a month or two.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

I'd get in now and get it up to 30 and do SCH because I imagine people who normally tank and heal will also roll ninja so there's gonna be a huge lack of them for a month or two.

I'd imagine for a good chunk of us there's no reason not to be a Ninja because we have everything else to 50 :shrug:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm levelling Arcanist now, currently level 27 I believe, and it wasn't a pain at all, it went smoothly up to 10-15, then with roulettes I had no issues. Went from 19 to 22 in one dungeon, so if you let a bit of rest XP accumulate or have a friendship hat, you should be okay. The friendship hat also works when level synced below 25 by the way, so it remains useful until 30 at least, then you can just queue as healer forever.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I'm back playing this game, but after such a long absence, I have forgotten my rotation for my level 34 Paladin. What resources are out there to help?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mayostard posted:

I'm back playing this game, but after such a long absence, I have forgotten my rotation for my level 34 Paladin. What resources are out there to help?

The 1, 2 and 3 buttons on your keyboard.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
In general the basic rotation isn't too difficult - it's Fast Blade/Savage Blade/Rage of Halone as your 1-2-3 threat combo, Flash spam for trash/AoE pulls, Riot Blade for when you have a good threat lead and need MP to fuel more Flashes. Circle of Scorn and Spirits Within will be added to your arsenal at higher levels as off-GCD things you can do between major abilities, but you won't have to worry about those for a good 11-16 levels yet. Everything else is situational cooldowns, pretty much.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there seriously no way to compare the stats on gear to what you have equipped?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
There's an option for it under settings but it hasn't been implemented yet.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I'm sure we'll get it before 3.0, when it becomes super relevant again (though it would be nice right now).

I'd settle for all of your cooldowns resetting when you wipe in a trial/raid.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I want numbers on your cooldowns do you know exactly when they're ready.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

gently caress these quality of life improvements I want a dungeon where you recover a baby from David Bowie. Barring that, Triple Triad, like tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doublestep posted:

They have that if you pull up the tooltip for the skill, ie hover your mouse cursor over it. The icon in the tooltip has a digit counter. It counts minutes, then seconds, and then hundredths of a second under 1.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

They have that if you pull up the tooltip for the skill, ie hover your mouse cursor over it. The icon in the tooltip has a digit counter. It counts minutes, then seconds, and then hundredths of a second under 1.
He's talking about visible numbers on the icon without hovering. Which is what most action bar mods showed you in WoW. Someone extremely familiar with their class will known exactly when their next buff's gonna be up though so it's no biggie

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Oh, speaking of, is it ever appropriate for a DRG to wait for Life Surge before Full Thrust? It's so annoying for it to have, say, 0.5 seconds left when your Full Thrust is ready to go. Does waiting that 0.5 seconds hurt your DPS more than adding ~5-10 seconds of Life Surge not being on cooldown?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Spaceman Future! posted:

Barring that, Triple Triad, like tomorrow.
This but un-ironically.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

He's talking about visible numbers on the icon without hovering. Which is what most action bar mods showed you in WoW. Someone extremely familiar with their class will known exactly when their next buff's gonna be up though so it's no biggie

Did that happen later in WoW? I think that Vanilla/TBC WoW needed an addon for that, but I'm not certain and I'm too lazy to fire up vanilla to check.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Serperoth posted:

Did that happen later in WoW? I think that Vanilla/TBC WoW needed an addon for that, but I'm not certain and I'm too lazy to fire up vanilla to check.

It's just now getting added in Warlords, as far as I'm aware. I needed an addon like OmniCC up until I quit (early Cata), at bare minimum.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Every actionbar addon had it built in but OmniCC could do it to the default bars + have special effects like flash on cooldown completion etc

I just want it because the tooltips already have it.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

pksage posted:

Oh, speaking of, is it ever appropriate for a DRG to wait for Life Surge before Full Thrust? It's so annoying for it to have, say, 0.5 seconds left when your Full Thrust is ready to go. Does waiting that 0.5 seconds hurt your DPS more than adding ~5-10 seconds of Life Surge not being on cooldown?

Pretty sure its not that big of a deal. If its that close, you can totally wait for it. Use a jump or some other OCD ability while you wait.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Not to beat that decomposing corpse, but addon support would be pretty great for things like that. Or my most wanted thing - some sort of audio cue for procs (or in a perfect world, a visual element in the center of the screen similar to what modern WoW has for important procs.) I know they've talked about it in the past, and it's moderately disappointing we haven't seen anything yet.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

pksage posted:

Even on FT, the LS is only contributing like 500 damage every 60 seconds. If there's literally less than 1/5th of a GCD left before you can use it, I'd wait. But if it's > 1/2 GCD you would be better served using it on whatever attack you're about to do next. Using LS on cooldown is "important" to the tune of 5-8 DPS. It's not the end of the world to burn it on any of your other moves because a cooldown is a cooldown and saving it for later isn't going to help you at all and waiting for it to come up is only delaying one of your other skills that will definitely do more than 500 damage with a LS tacked on.

That said, I'm not a super serious T9 DRG or anything, so feel free to listen to anyone who posts a pie chart about fracture or something after me.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ActionZero posted:

I've been trying to dye my chocobo, I got like 4 new feather messages but it only shifted one colour, am I doing something wrong?

To add to what people have posted: https://docs.google.com/a/pictoriousphoto.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAEvVU4WcuaMQ6zSFIKWhTHHrUW4HJOIna6L65wtfgw/edit?usp=sharing

I used that after trying to get Snow White from the image guide posted. I could never get the fruit part to work, but choosing your starting color then your target color works and I manually calculated the fruit needed based off the key they provide.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ouhei posted:

To add to what people have posted: https://docs.google.com/a/pictoriousphoto.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAEvVU4WcuaMQ6zSFIKWhTHHrUW4HJOIna6L65wtfgw/edit?usp=sharing

I used that after trying to get Snow White from the image guide posted. I could never get the fruit part to work, but choosing your starting color then your target color works and I manually calculated the fruit needed based off the key they provide.

Is that the calculator thing? (it gives a you need permission error) Does that actually work correctly?

laststandb
Jul 31, 2014
I don't have alc 50, but can someone test this crafting 'rotation' for me? If my numbers are correct it is an infinite CP generator

Trick of Trade first priority
Keep CZ up 100%
IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination...

Rumination should give back 5 CP, so you are spending 13 CP to idle for two turns. If good rates are ~20% you should be getting positive CP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

For max use of life surge, you want to use it when B4B is up. The timers work out pretty well most of the time. If my B4B is going to expire right after the next full thrust, I'll pause a second or two. If I'm going to get another full thrust off during the current B4B buff, then I won't wait. So long as the two are used like that, they'll pretty much always be ready to go at the right time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

laststandb posted:

I don't have alc 50, but can someone test this crafting 'rotation' for me? If my numbers are correct it is an infinite CP generator

Trick of Trade first priority
Keep CZ up 100%
IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination -> IQ -> Rumination...

Rumination should give back 5 CP, so you are spending 13 CP to idle for two turns. If good rates are ~20% you should be getting positive CP.

You can't Ruminate or Byregot's with only one stack of IQ, so no.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

For max use of life surge, you want to use it when B4B is up. The timers work out pretty well most of the time. If my B4B is going to expire right after the next full thrust, I'll pause a second or two. If I'm going to get another full thrust off during the current B4B buff, then I won't wait. So long as the two are used like that, they'll pretty much always be ready to go at the right time.

Yeah it's nice that it works out this way. My rotation is (Power Surge)> True Thrust> (B4B)> Vorpal Thrust> (Life Surge + Internal Release)> Full Thrust> Jump

This leaves enough B4B + Internal Release for a second combo, and offsets Power Surge by enough to be able to use it for the next Jump or Spineshatter.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

dangersandwich posted:

(Life Surge + Internal Release)

Life Surge guarantees a crit and Internal Release is +crit rate, so I'm pretty sure you want those in two different, non-overlapping windows between GCDs.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

pksage posted:

Life Surge guarantees a crit and Internal Release is +crit rate, so I'm pretty sure you want those in two different, non-overlapping windows between GCDs.

I do it that way because Jump is already an off-GCD so I can't use it in between FT / Jump (but still want an increase crit Jump), and I only need enough Internal Release to potentially crit the second FT.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kyrosiris posted:

Is that the calculator thing? (it gives a you need permission error) Does that actually work correctly?

Oops, changed the permissions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAEvVU4WcuaMQ6zSFIKWhTHHrUW4HJOIna6L65wtfgw/edit?usp=sharing

It worked for me. I somehow got to Colibri Pink and using the difference thing it gave me I got to Snow White in 1 feeding (I think it was 6 plums and 7 pineapples).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ouhei posted:

Oops, changed the permissions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAEvVU4WcuaMQ6zSFIKWhTHHrUW4HJOIna6L65wtfgw/edit?usp=sharing

It worked for me. I somehow got to Colibri Pink and using the difference thing it gave me I got to Snow White in 1 feeding (I think it was 6 plums and 7 pineapples).

Awesome. My girlfriend is wanting Rhotano Blue for her bird and I haven't seen any info for a sane path to that, so we'll give the calculator stuff a try.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doublestep posted:

This is on stances in PSO2 and it was pretty drat handy. Though now that they're just toggled things and not a 60 second buff it's not as important. I'd love to have it in FF14 though because when you're burning down something (rafflesia)and see tiny slivers on mercy strike/steel peak you really want to be able to see a number at a glance so you know just how soon they can be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dangersandwich posted:

I do it that way because Jump is already an off-GCD so I can't use it in between FT / Jump (but still want an increase crit Jump), and I only need enough Internal Release to potentially crit the second FT.

Honestly you should always be leading out with at least a vorpal thrust and disembowel even if the mob won't be alive long enough to use chaos thrust.

My lead in to basically every fight is HT, VT, Dis at a minimum. Depending on whether I'm using a pot this cycle I'll B4B either right before or after the vorpal thrust and then inner release on either side of disembowel. This way you get a chaos thrust, a phlebotomize, and a full thrust all inside the b4b and IR buffs.

• Locked thread