Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of MNK/PGL skills, we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with utility. I find myself never using some of them, or using them in rare and mostly unimportant circumstances.

Arm of the Destroyer, Howling Fist, Perfect Balance, and One Ilm Punch are either not timely to use, don't see much use due to a lack of content built for it, or are generally underwhelming for a skill. I almost want to put Shoulder Tackle here too, but I have found some convenience with it in AK and for muscling out/muscling in on farmers.

Wow look how wrong this guy is. Arm of the Destroyer is spammable AoE, great for FATEs, and can silence which is helpful in Coil. Howling Fist is free extra damage, if you aren't throwing it in on cooldown you're doing it wrong. Perfect Balance is how you should start every boss fight ever, it builds Greased Lightning stacks super quick. I can also be used during certain fights where you're forced to letting your GL stacks fall off. One Ilm Punch currently has very minor uses but please look forward to it being strong as hell in PvP.

Not to even mention how insanely useful Dragon Kick, Steel Peak, and Mantra are in all content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Chairman posted:

[*]How do I unlock a new class? Go to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The system doesn't sound anything like Rift at all. Let's take a move like Heavy Shot. In PvE it does 150 potency with a 2.5 recast. They can make it so only in the Wolves Den it does 120 potency and has a 2.5 second cast time instead of a recast. They can do that. Please stop doomsaying PvP.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Aladar posted:

This got posted a couple pages back and never got an answer in the flood of PVP-chat, and I'm curious about this too :shobon: assuming equally well-geared characters, would the point difference actually be a make or break as long as you're playing well?

Turn 4 is the part where food/potion buffs start really making a difference so probably around then for dps. Healer stats are a little more flexible. My advice is just to pick one.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Lance Streetman posted:

Alphinaud would just take the lea-oh wait, he hated long, annoying quest chains.

What I'm trying to say is, Minfilia would have been better if she had been replaced with Alphinaud. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

What? For the time that Alphinaud is in charge he sends you on two different long and annoying quest chains. He actually has the single most annoying one because "I'm sorry Scion but your crystal is in another zone".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
There isn't really a question, yes you will lose dps significantly if you choose to not use Bootshine and True Strike at max level.

Bootshine: 130 Potency + always crits = 195 Potency.
True Strike: 150 Potency + 5% crit = We'll say you're unlucky and never crit
Power: 345

Dragon Kick: 150 potency
Twin Snakes: 140 potency
Power: 290

That's 55 potency you'd be losing out on every 15 seconds. Adds up pretty quick. The only people who every argued about never using Bootshine/True Strike were those that Impulse Drive spam between keeping up DK/TS/GL. I think both styles are fine though I find going through the rotation the way Yoshi-P intended to be a lot safer.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Daily Forecast posted:

Monk poo poo.

You've got the basic idea down but there's a lot of subtle issues. Demolish doesn't have a flank/rear bonus so don't worry about it being in a specific order. Keep it up but don't refresh it. It lasts 3 rotations so you'll always be alternating where it goes in the rotation. Same with Fracture/ToD, they drop off at different times so you'll have to alter to put them back up. Also the initial rotation is a bit weird since Dragon Kick doesn't apply it's debuff if it's the very first thing you cast but Bootshine doesn't crit on the first attack either. Vandes posted an ideal rotation in the thread that touches on all this stuff but what makes Monk fun for me isn't any set rotation, it's the improvisation and how you try to obtain the ideal while each fight is trying to stop you in different way.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chakan posted:

That sounds fine in theory, till you remember that monk is melee and can't really risk losing twin snakes buff.

Twin Snakes is a 12 second buff.
Base GCD with 3 stacks of GL is 2.125

Twin
Snap
Boot
True
Snap
Dragon

2.125 * 6 = 12.75

And that's with no skill speed at all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Vil posted:

Yep, so you've got 0.75 seconds during which a 100 potency autoattack might occur (which is actually about a 1 in 3 chance when accounting for weapon speed and GL3), without the benefit of the Twin Snakes buff. Call that another 10 potency you're missing. And then you've got the next Twin Snakes to refresh the buff, which definitely doesn't have the benefit of the earlier Twin Snakes buff (call that another 14 potency you're missing).

So you miss out on 14-24 potency worth of damage to get 11 potency (to compare apples to apples and include the buff) and a 5% crit chance on it. I called it "kind of a wash" for a reason, and I am completely fine with ilifinicus considering me to be bad for pointing out that you can skip the hassle and get equivalent results.

Adding other sources of skill speed to the equation reduces the buff downtime and thus the odds of an autoattack being affected, but the next Twin Snakes itself will be affected unless you can get your GCD down to (or below?) 2.00 seconds.

Well as a player who's GL3 GCD is at 2.0 I never run out of Twin Snakes during the rotation so :smug:.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You seem pretty mad that people are making money carrying people through Titan rather than giving it away for free. Like way more mad that any normal person should be.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I knew I favorited this video for a reason.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Can we run content for fun and for gearing up alt classes and not because it has the highest item level or you can run it exactly 20 times in 1 day and be done with it forever.

notZaar posted:

Is this from that ridiculous video essay about the 1.0 exp diminishing returns that they announced before release?

Yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They could hold your loot hostage until your group clears the raid. You stick around till the end or you get NOTHING!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Stufoo posted:

Dragongod Knightking (DGKK) is available for invites.
To join, contact:
Cup Noodle
Tyrandor Ironfist
Alma Beoulve
Complete Idiot
The Wolpertinger
Ryan Shepherd
Leila Muezza
Daki Daki

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Demitri Omni posted:

In lore, he's not been seen much (if any) outside of Imperial company without his helmet, has he?

This and having his face shown would give him away as a garlean due to their 3rd eye thing.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Kongming posted:

Moogle song is supposed to be based off of this, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZAwgR4rE0

I would argue it's more based off the exact same song from FF6 which actually has Mog in it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Sterling_Archer posted:

Good strat for garbage pugs :V

Also about to be nerfed.

I wasn't aware Turn 2 was difficult enough to need a strat for garbage pugs. I guess you learn something new every day.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Tithin Melias posted:

Oceanic. Commonly abbreviated as OCE. Southeast Asia & Australia Region.

I think the general advice is to always roll on Excalibur. We have people on all hours of the day. If you want to connect to a JP data center world cause of lag I'm not sure but I think there's an unofficial OCE world.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In the patch trailer showing the pvp, there were players tethered together by chains, maybe provoking casts that?

That's Holmgang, a Warrior skill. Previously it caused the target and the warrior to both get the Bind debuff. After the patch it'll do that, plus drag the target to the Warrior and stop the Warrior from being able to go below 1 health for the duration.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Failboattootoot posted:

This is the hardest god drat thing to do. :saddowns:

It's actually really easy to do on the ADS in Turn 1. Turn 2...not so much.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Accuracy cap used for calculation is wrong and isn't updated with 2.1 loot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Monk is better than Dragoon in every single way. Don't play dragoon unless you want to be one of those people that get made fun of for constantly dying to things.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Winter Stormer posted:

Bard is better than melee in every single way. Don't play melee unless you want to be one of those people that get made fun of for constantly dying to things.

It's not better in the "doing damage to the enemies" way. Bard damage is really lacking. Their best feature is making Summoners and Black Mages do more damage.

Volt Catfish posted:

Yo is it true the best monk gear in the game is the crystal tower stuff?

No, only the chest piece is kinda ok but not really. A BiS set of monk gear will have 0 pieces of CT loot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ElMaligno posted:

- On major encounters I usually put down the DOTs as soon as I can since wasted time means wasted potential damage for me. I.E. set uo Touch of death before the first GL, First GL rotation ends in demolish, Fracture is up before GL2, try keep them up, et al.
- If its a particular strong trash mob, I will at least do touch of death. If we are AOEing everything I will try to get GL1 up, use Internal Release, then Perfect Balance and finally spam the gently caress out of Rockbreaker.

I do the opposite of everything this guy says. Unless it's a specific fight where I know there's no chance of me getting GL3 before putting dots up (Ifrit Extreme) then I will always get GL2, trigger GL3 with my demo, then apply ToD and Fracture.

DoTs are very ineffective if you can't run them they're whole duration so they are pretty useless on minor fights. Vandes wrote up a thing that showed how long a dot needs to be hitting for it to be worth it (this was before 2.1, but that'll only affect Demo:

18/30 seconds of Touch of Death: 20+25*6=170
9/18 seconds of Fracture: 100+20*3=160
15/18 seconds of Demolish: 40*5=200

As such you can see that fights less than 20 seconds you shouldn't use dots at all unless you really love Fracture. Most of the time I'm too focused on keeping my stacks going on small groups to worry about dotting since stacks are greater than dots.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there a known issue with the spiny plume shield on Garuda EX? My FC attempted it today and almost every time we'd get in the bubble at least one person would still die. It happened to me once and I know I had the buff from the bubble, so I'm wondering if it's just some lag weirdness or something.

No they're just bad. It works like every other attack in the game where it checks where you are when the cast bar finishes, not when the effect/damage is applied.

That or they died to windburn.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Sendo posted:

With the 2.1 changes to Monk fracture isn't worth using for it's TP cost, due to the increased damage per GCD with normal combos the increase in DPS from fracture is substantially less than it was pre patch (generally less than 1 DPS).

This is only true if you're bad at tp management or are stacking skill speed. Fracture is the 4th most damaging move in the monk arsenal, stacks well with Demolition, and is crazy useful on fights that force you to stop attacking for any amount of time. Dropping all the SS I can I never run out of TP in any end game fight, Twin included, applying Fracture at every opportunity. Talking to President Porpoise though he says he runs out of TP using it and the only thing I can think of is him having 40 more SS than me or possibly Selene causing him to empty out on TP faster.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm sorry playing optimally is really hard and I guess I shouldn't bother as long as other people are picking up the slack right? Also the fact you 1.) don't know how you could mismanage TP and 2.) call the system bad lets me know you're probably not optimally timing Invigorate. As a base you should be hitting it whenever you hit between 550 and 600 TP, leaning more towards 550 to counter any ticks that might happen between globals but each fight has phases where you optimally want to burn your TP as fast as possible as there is a long pause after, this means going into these phases will full TP and an Invigorate cooldown ticking up for that burst area trumps making sure you're getting the most out of it.

And I don't understand it being a pain in the rear end. You always apply fracture after you apply Demolish, they have the same duration. But I guess that's the part of settling for being one of the 99%.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, didn't think I'd cause so much furor over asking about Fracture on a Monk. My bad :ohdear:

I suppose in the end if the gain is minor enough to be so contentious I'll just leave it out and spare myself the trouble, I'm not interested/free-of-time enough to be in the top 1% or whatever anyway :v:. So thanks for the information!

I don't think the gain is minor at all. It's pretty significant to be adding so much potency over the coarse of a long battle. Plus there's no reason not to. Monks have just traditionally been full of people don't the rotation wrong and then defending it by saying they don't care about doing the top damage.

Demitri Omni posted:

I like to ignore Fracture completely, if only because I don't want to be arsed to reapply it as often as I'd have to.

My monk is only 40 so far, though, so maybe I'll change my mind! Time will tell.

Once again you just always apply Fracture after Demolish. They have the same duration so they will always fall off at the same times and can always be reapplied at the same time without clipping.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Periodiko posted:

If you aren't hitting cleric stance, running into melee range and mashing Holy every pull you're not playing white mage properly.

I just did a CM with a white mage who casted Holy at every pack of monsters that the tanks were training to the cannons and died like every time. He was a true hero.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fister Roboto posted:

What's generally considered a good price for doing materia melds? Today some dude gave me 10k per meld, and I want to know if that's about what I can expect in the future.

Personally I would not tip for melds at all. It's a feature just about anyone can do and player skill/gear doesn't factor into it. Get it from your FC mates for free.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

itsnice2bnice posted:

What is your character supposed to be doing when you use flash anyway?

It looks like you're setting off a firecracker in your hand or launching a miniature disco ball or something.

Watching the animation I always think that it would make way more sense if your character actually flashed their weapon at the enemy.

I think you're suppose to be reflecting light off of your sword into the enemies' eyes, blinding and annoying them.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I've never run into this but how do you troll? You can complete Prae with like 3 ok people sort of paying attention.

Also you can kick people now so why not do that?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Yes, and canceling a Commence/Withdraw doesn't put any sort of cooldown on you re-queueing for a roulette. So if you're a tank you can just keep checking to see if there is a favorable in-progress duty for you to snipe while annoying potentially hundreds of people. Cheers.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Smornstein posted:

I always seem to get hit by HM Titan's knockback move even if i dodge is this just lag?

All AoE moves in this game determine if they hit you or not based on where you're standing when the graphic on the ground fades, not where you are when the spell effect lands. If you're still claiming you're out of the landslide targeting graphic before it fades then yes, you are lagging. Check you ping to Final Fantasy by opening the task manager, clicking performance, open resource monitor, network, TCP Connections, and check the latency for Final Fantasy. At times I was getting 1800 ping for no discernible reason. Many people use battleping or wtfast (including myself) to deal with this and it works pretty good.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The Chairman posted:

As far as theorycrafting goes, poo poo or get off the pot. If someone else is wrong about something, correct them and then tell them what the actual truth is instead of just hinting about your secret cache of game mechanics discoveries.

But you don't understand chairman, if they told you the info would be so mind blowing that you wouldn't understand it and then be double wrong.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Ciaphas posted:

I thought Temperance kind of made actual peace a total non-starter?

As shown by the beast man dailies there are factions of beast tribes that don't follow their primal. In fact it's implied with the amalj'aa that the main faction of them aren't tempered as there's a daily quest dealing with some of the younger ones attempting to switch sides. Tempering seems reserved for the other races as it seems to cause a portion of those tempered to lose their sanity, meaning using it on true believes would be an unnecessary risk. That said I remember in the main quest it's said that the Sylphland sylphs routinely capture Little Solace sylphs and temper them, so maybe it's different for each faction.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SpaceDrake posted:

No, refresh them before they fall off. You'll miss ticks overwise. It's best to refresh them before they fall off, this is true for all classes with DoT effects.

This is untrue as dots tick every 3 seconds and all DoTs have durations that are factors of 3. If you refresh early you'll lose at the very least 1 tick as it falls if not more while also delaying your next tick by 3 seconds. Of course there are different situations where you'll want to refresh a DoT before it falls off but in the perfect world you'd only recast a DoT on the frame after it falls off.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

FetalDave posted:

I told myself I was never going to buy a 3DS...

I hate you SE. I have a really unhealthy addiction to rhythm games and I managed to hold off on the first Theatrythm game. I think I'm going to cave.

If it's any consolation I thought the first Theatrythm game was really bad (as someone who likes rhythm games) and you probably shouldn't buy a 3DS for it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fister Roboto posted:

Basically gently caress all the non-lalafell scions.

How dare you speak ill of Urianger and Yda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How to get to Vesper Bay in like 20 seconds:

1. Teleport to Limsa.
2. Click the Aetheryte and select Arcanist Guild.
3. Walk the 2 feet to the dock and ferry to Vesper Bay.
4. You did it!

• Locked thread