Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I had my first few attempts at Titan HM last night, tanking it as a warrior. We had a bunch of new people so, as could be expected, we didn't pull off a win immediately.

What I noticed was that my hate control was a little bit wonky throughout the fight. Even though I was basically doing nothing but spamming my hate combo both healers stayed pretty close to me hate-wise and one of them was expressing concerns about being able to Medica 2 after Geocrushes without drawing attention.

I'm running with Ifrit's axe and almost full Darklight with AK pieces for the rest. I don't think I can gear much better than I am. Is there anything specific I can be doing for a better lead on hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Just had my first go tanking turn 1 of Coil as a warrior.

:stare:

Not even HM Titan was bashing my face in as strong and as fast as that stupid snake was. I need to finish the rest of my darklight, I think. Maybe get the L37 cooldown from gladiator. And steal rampart/sentinel, somehow.

Well, good to know this is basically the gentle easing in before the utter reaming of later turns!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

Being forced to skip all the cutscenes in the final dungeon just so somebody could get through it faster feels really anticlimactic, and really made the dungeon less fun. Well, that and the fact that nobody bothered to explain poo poo and expected everybody to know how to play the dungeon perfectly. Didn't have very much fun at all.

On the other hand, this is loving sweet.

My first run I mentioned that it was my first run, and one guy looking for a speed run told me to skip cutscenes and another person who had done it previously told him to shut the gently caress up, you never make a newbie skip prae cutscenes.

That guy was awesome. :unsmith: To the first guy's credit, he didn't bring it up again that run.

E: On Ultros, at least, the etiquette is becoming that if you want to speed run Praetorium you set it up in Mor Dhona, and if you pug it you run the risk of people not wanting to speed run. Castrum is almost 100% speed runs through duty finder, though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

God yeah, all cooking synths seem to take a massive load of items to craft each. I'm eventually planning on taking Alchemy to 50; I'm a Summoner/Scholar and I wanna deal with my own poo poo.

The trick to cooking synths is to basically ignore literally every synth beyond your class quests and specific crafts for triple turn-in leves. The leve synths are as follows:

L20: Walnut Bread
L25: Chamomile Tea
L30: Cornmeal
L35: Acorn Cookies
L40: Apple Juice
L45: Tomato Pie

The trick for most cooking synths is that the big, 70-80 durability items use 4-5 low level ingredients and one high level ingredient, and it's the latter that actually boosts quality a significant amount. For all but the last of these, you can push the quality boost up significantly just by using the HQ version of the core ingredient: Gridanian Walnuts, Chamomile, Millioncorn, Iron Acorns, Mirror Apples, and Midland Basil (although for the Pie you are also going to want the pie crust and maybe a couple other ingredients HQ, although that is trivial by the time you're making them). Make only these, level only from levequests as soon as you hit 20, and as long as you have the ingredients you can blitz to 50 in a few days (assuming you have the leves stored up)

Naturally there are still problems. Your only two options for each of these leve synths is that you're buying the HQ ingredients (and you'll need ~60 of each) which is gonna run the cost up, or you're gathering them yourself. Acorns are ~35 botany and Apples are ~42, so you basically need to level botanist up as you level cooking. It'll make you money, but take a long time.

On top of that, you're going to want to have your gear to be up to date each time you switch synths to ensure reliable HQ rates on your leve synths (and this whole strategy revolves around you turning in only HQ results for each of your leves, for efficiency), although you can end up skipping some gear as you level right past it's range turning in a few leves at once.

Edit: Of course, if you're going the "gently caress the rules I have money" route you wouldn't buy the HQ ingredients at all, and just buy ~45 hq versions of the finished meals off the auction house but this is going to really set you back for every item except maybe Apple Juice, where you'll roughly break even on cost (at least, on my server you will)

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 9, 2013

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

One thing FFXI did that I am frankly a bit surprised FFXIV doesn't is that basic NPC dialogue changes to reflect quests and whatnot. It happens in XIV but only really inside the waking sands; I guess because it's a tiny, easily-modifiable instance.

It's just a bit odd to get to 50 on a crafting job, have the guild master call you the best weaver/armorer/alchemist/whatever short of God Himself and once that last quest is completed they just completely forget who you are.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Solartide posted:

About CM.

That first half of the Livia fight, with the cannons. Why does everyone insist on loading all four cannons before firing? Then killing all the adds before loading all four and firing again.

Seems to me, if one guy takes aggro of Livia to start the fight, 2 people load and fire the first 2 cannons immediately, the other people take aggro of adds that spawn (but not kill them), the fight would go a lot faster.

She dies in 8 cannon shots, and adds spawn every 2 cannon shots. If you load all 4, shoot at once, then two sets of adds spawn which you can gather up and kill pretty easily; load 4 again, shoot them and more adds spawn but depop instantly as you push her to her second phase.

I've done a billion CMs, approximately, and if you get the load-4 shoot-4 setup down pat it can shave like 5 minutes off your final time.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

appletonoutcast posted:

Gentleman, the game is literally afoot. Raiders need to learn2play, and Square-Enix has thrown the gauntlet. I'm REALLY interested to see how things turn out with this fight over the next few weeks.

I get a very familiar, unpleasant feeling reading this comment by SE. I am biased, I think (ok, I know), because of the years I put into FFXI and it's various endgame challenges. My FC has turn 4 on farm and are basically waiting for them to open the gates for Twintania; some of us moved to 14 from FFXI (quite a few in my own FC) who are probably getting the same feeling to various degrees.

The thing is, that in FFXI you could literally not trust SE to make a statement like that and take them at their word. There were two iconic end-point fights in FFXI, Absolute Virtue and Pandemonium Warden, and SE said the exact same thing in slightly different ways about both and they were completely wrong about them. Flat out wrong, saying both fights were working as intended, a statement which was proved entirely false. It took years, literal, plural years, for people to properly understand AV's mechanics and PW, upon release, was effectively impossible. Not impossible in the strictest sense, but in the sense that you could not win that fight with 18-36 human beings the way it was initially designed and no one ever did. Neither fight was won legitimately until years after their release, after their difficulty was massively adjusted, and after the goddamn level cap in the MMO was raised. And by then, no one really cared. Server First was not really a concept people cared about by that point in FFXI.

Now, I know that these are distinct, separate games. FFXIV is not FFXI and in fact does not even share a design team. But the DNA of FFXI is all over 14, and a lot of FFXI's endgame created a breach of trust between SE and it's playerbase, which was in no way mitigated by the disaster 1.0 was and all the good that has come out of Realm Reborn so far can't wipe it all away that fast. It certainly hasn't for me.

I'm not even sure I have a point here, I just needed to try and express the worry I'm feeling. It's not a question of design, but judgement: I think that Square-Enix's online divisions do not have a track record of making good top-tier challenging battles, in fact they probably have the worst track record around. It is all too easy for me to picture a future a few months from now where SE quietly nerfs Twintania from what it currently is because they have, once again, overshot the mark. I really hope I'm wrong, because 14 has done a lot to convince me that those kind of bad decisions don't happen anymore. I really, really hope.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Aladar posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the reason AV(and PW, I guess?) so bad was because it was a pain in the rear end to actually summon it and it took something in the realm of 30 hours to whittle down? Even if Twintania is similar to it in the sense of it being impossible to beat right now (which I hope it's not) I don't think it could ever be anywhere near as bad as AV v:shobon:v

Both fights had intricate requirements in order to actually pop the big bosses but this was mitigated by the fact that all the sub steps were boss fights with their own unique rewards, similar to how you need to clear Turns 1-4 to reach Turn 5 but you get a bunch of Allagan loot for doing so. There was nothing really wrong with that point.

AV was bad, no matter what anyone tells you, because it had the ability to make pieces of your alliance rain down across the area whenever the hell it wanted. It had access to at least 2-3 entirely separate, distinct methods to drop enough radial AoE damage to effectively instant-kill anyone in the alliance and anyone around them at will. It got more options to nuke your attempt the lower it's HP got, putting aside an incredible regeneration effect. FFXIV comparison: it's like fighting Twintania, except the twisters never have a charge time ever and go off every 20-30 seconds right from 100% hp. And that annoying add from hard mode Garuda is there creating the regen effect and it can't be shut off.

AV is infamous because SE is widely believed to have constantly adjusted it to make sure people were killing AV "their way" and not using tricks the dev team hadn't thought of. This is not entirely correct: fighting AV, straight up, was impossible. All the kills until he was nerfed came because of exploiting bugs to stop him from moving or using his more damaging abilities, which SE would patch away, making him unkillable until someone found a new bug. Absolutely no legitimate kills were logged until his HP was basically cut by three quarters and people figured out ways to zerg him dead in ~20-30 seconds. To this day, that's how he's killed, although no one really gives a poo poo about him anymore.

PW was the one that actually got some noise in MMO journalism because of how utterly hosed up it was. PW was a shapeshifter, who would turn into a more powerful version of a previous boss in the ToAU expansion and spawn 8 themed adds to help it out; when that phase was "killed" and it's adds defeated, it would switch into a different boss from the same expansion, pop 8 more adds, and you'd have to kill that. The problem was every one of those phases was tuned to be several times harder than the boss it mimiced, and each phases was harder still than the ones before it, and even then you had not actually started fighting PW in his true form yet.

The number of mimic phases PW currently has is nerfed from his original, when he had approximately 18-20 mimic phases. I don't know the exact number; only one group ever went through the list.

The one (and only) serious attempt at PW came after 3-4 experimental attempts by other groups; this particular group was widely considered one of the best NA groups in the game at the time. I can't find the original posts when they explained their attempt, but to basically give the cliff notes: the fight progressed really smoothly but taking a very long time, multiple hours. Every new phase they killed spawned a new, unique phase, so they were sure they were making progress. The last 3-4 mimic phases were taking an hour or more each because of how difficult they were, and the entire group was just there to make all the time they had put in not be for nothing. By the time they were done with all the mimics and were actually fighting Pandemonium Warden itself, they were pushing 17-18 continuous hours; again, this was not banging their head against the wall until the very end, it was all killing phases and fighting new phases.

At 75% health, the final form of Pandemonium Warden summoned not 8, but 16 adds, 8 of which immediately did simultaneous, massively damaging AoE damage, and wiped their group.

The group figured if PW did that at 75%, it would do the same or worse at 50% and 25%. They gave up, some players ending up being physically ill as exhaustion caught up to them. Apparently, a lot of the group straight up quit FFXI after that, making Pandemonium Warden the first FFXI boss to not just kill an alliance but kill the actual linkshell behind it.

The moral to this story is that after their latest horrifying experiment in sadomasochism actually got play in the MMO journalistic circles SE announced they were going to be "adjusting the difficulty" of both fights, cutting their health and reducing their damage. They made a lot of screw ups trying to implement that as well, but that's another story and not nearly as interesting.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

What are leves? I know that they're some kind of timed quest that I can change the difficulty of. What's the point of them? Are they something I should be doing right now, or are they some kind of weird alternative to regular quests?

Leves are a kind of special quest that you can undertake in a limited amount every day.

Battlecraft leves are essentially some kind of weird alternative to regular quests, yeah. They're scaled so that at base difficulty you can do them every 5 levels, just at different camps. So the 20 leves are in a different place from the 30 leves. You can adjust the difficulty to scale mob levels up if you're doing a battlecraft leve in between those level ranges. Battlecraft leves don't give great exp (much worse than fates) but they do give you a little chunk of gil, occasionally equipment or food, and when you're doing them you can run into treasure chests on the ground that can give you dungeon-grade equipment.

In addition to those, there are versions for tradecraft and fieldcraft; for tradecraft leves you make (or buy) specific items and give them to specific NPCs, with massive bonus rewards for HQ items. Fieldcraft leves basically have you mining/logging 6-8 quest-spawned gathering points, occasionally under restrictions like getting a certain number of items, for a exp reward at the end.

You can only do a certain number of leves; the number you have is under Allowances in your Journal, and you get 6 a day (3 every 12 hours). Tradecraft and Fieldcraft leves are pretty much the best way to level crafting and gathering jobs so most people use their allowances on those, although you have to do one battlecraft leve in each new camp that has them in order to unlock other levequests there. If you don't want to use them, the allowances will stack up over time, but cap at 100; if you're not using them regularly make sure you blow a few if you get close to that point so they don't go to waste.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The draw to the crafted pieces is once you have one job at 50 and are thinking about gearing up another, the grind for Darklight seems a lot less appetizing.

You need a little over 5000 philosophy to totally gear out a second job assuming no crossover for accessories. The only way to get these tomes is running the 4 dungeons that provide them 51 times, or ~25 extremely tedious hours.

Crafted pieces strictly take much more philosophy but you are not expected to actually be running dungeons to get the philosophy materials. You buy them, because there are a hundred different ways to get money once you're 50 and presumably running at least one crafting job if you're thinking about making the crafted pieces to begin with. People who aren't making the crafted pieces are the ones selling philosophy items to the people who are.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Alectai posted:

I just spent all of last night grinding Botany from 26 to 31!

:smithicide:

If it was this bad now, I can't even imagine how horrible it was before they buffed XP and fieldleves.

At least I can farm Oak and Flax now!

... It never ends.

Well, I started a major grind of Botany from 20 all the way to 43, using no levequests but having constant 50% xp boost from training manuals and watching Breaking Bad in the background. I hit 43 just as I moved onto the third season. Not a bad way to catch up, really!

Also, if you ever intend to level weaving at some point here is a free tip for you: get more flax. No, more flax than that. No, keep going. Well, just listen: if you're leveling botany, and flax is still giving you something approaching decent exp, you should probably be gathering flax.

You probably won't need as much Oak as you think you will, but flax? You'll never have enough. Ever.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The Wool Gap makes the Velveteen Gap look like magical fairies were crafting hundreds of beautiful dew threads and then sending them to you in decorated gift baskets, in terms of relative cost and difficulty. Most people leveling Weaving skip wool entirely, hence the need for as much flax as you can stand.

I suspect Boar Hide is expensive because you can use it on several tiers of tradecraft leves and the best farming spot for it can be monopolized by one fast-moving L50 player (that place is north of Hawthorne Hut). If you really want some it's generally easy enough to go burn an hour there and grab a stack and change which should hold you over for quite awhile.

If you're addicted to crafting as you say at some point you are really going to want to start in on Culinarian. Hasty Touch is the best quality increase available due to it's total lack of CP cost. Pair it with Steady Hand to get it's success rate more reliable, and push Culinarian even higher to 37 for Steady Hand II, which is amazing. 80% success rate on Hasty Touch when it's up, or make basic synthesis never fail, for only 25CP as opposed to 22. If you're leveling botanist it's actually very easy to bring Culinarian up; don't worry that all the recipes take 5-8 ingredients because all but a couple of those tend to be very low level things you can buy from NPCs. Unlike most of the other crafts all the 80 durability synths don't have intermediate steps like thread/cloth, just plug in a core ingredient you can get from gathering and buy the rest of the little ingredients and you're good.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Tarranon posted:

The linen deerstalker and linen wedge cap of gathering trade leves were a godsend for getting to 50. I really only ended up using wool to make crafting gear and to finish out the class quests.

And now I spent a couple of hours leveling botany to help out with my culinarian exploits and it's about as boring as I feared. At least I'm able to squirrel away plenty of lumber, half to sell and half to eventually level my carpenter, so at least it's providing utility in a lot of flavors. Soooo goddamn boring though.

How do the good field leves work again? I can't really find any guides on them and the only time the crafting guide linked from the OP mentions DoL classes, it's just: stay the gently caress away from them, the hell is wrong with you?

Certain field leves will have a very specific setup: either 4 or 8 gather points, with 2 items at each, one at your level and one several levels higher, modified by difficulty. Every item you gather gives you a certain evaluation point value, with the higher-level items worth more. Depending on how high you push your elevation (it'll tell you how high) you can pick up you can end up with a +25% boost to XP reward before the difficulty boost, which is pretty useful.

That said, like other levequests once the game has given you your choices for leves you are stuck with those choices until you actually accept one and do it to refresh the leves available to you. All the levequest camps generally have 4 quests available, 2 that have the +25% bonus and 2 that don't, so you'll have to cycle between the good and bad ones if you're spamming.

If you're stocking lumber for levelling carpentry, prioritize walnut and mahogany. You'll need a lot of the former and even more of the latter.

Magres posted:

Just another reason I need to finish DL on my PLD and start leveling BRD. They're so goddamned good, they'd be retardedly OP if they had a better LB. If they had like, a ranged form of the melee DD LB they would be hands down, no argument, the best DPS in the game. poo poo, even if they had to run up to melee and had the melee DD LB they'd be disgusting.

Take this with a grain of salt, but yesterday there was a live Letter from the Producer and Yoshida mentioned (assuming the translation was correct) that they consider BRD to be a bit too overpowered at the moment and it's going to get hit with a nerf bat in 2.1. It will almost certainly still be very effective but I wouldn't be blowing mythology or anything on it until we get a sense of where it stacks with other dps after the update.

Edit: VVVV Check out the GC hunting log and fill out the first few entries. Run Halatali (I think, your log will say which dungeon) once to grab the entries in there, and you should be pretty close to 2000.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 21, 2013

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

I hate to ask That Question, but is there a particular job that's in high demand? If not, I'm torn between Dragoon or Summoner, is one particularly weak/useless compared to the other?

Right now, current class balance can probably be described like this:

-Pld has a step up over War due to their access to multiple defensive cooldowns and War's almost total lack of the same.
-Ranged DPS has a slight edge over Melee DPS due being easier to position and being able to avoid close-range damage. BRD has an edge over other ranged.
-People like the healing classes enough that most groups will take one of each.

Almost all the classes are well-balanced at the moment. The variations are there but fairly slight, honestly, and right now the problems are only really noticeable in the very last few fights available in endgame (I've seen all jobs in Bahamut's Coil and only my own job, War, has run into truly critical issues). SE has acknowledged almost all of the current complaints people have and are planning fixes for 2.1.

All that said if I were to make my own choice between your two options I would probably pick Summoner.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

monoptic posted:

I've got a question, and it's probably best answered by saying "It doesn't matter because you're leveling up, dumbass" - but is there any point to wearing the stat-specific jewelry while leveling? Like would a tank wear sphene/heliodor stuff?

Actually jewelery pieces get obsolete at a slower rate than other gear; stat-specific jewelery has only 3 tiers and the last of them is L48. The difference is noticeable so if the job you're leveling is going through the main quest and dungeons as opposed to fate farming, then you should probably be grabbing the accessories if they're not that expensive on your server.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Good timing on my part to check in on this thread, I was just about to start crafting and was wondering what the best way to start was, since it really seemed to be eating into my funds. All to 15, then CUL to 37 it is!

Main class is an Archer so I was naively hoping that I could just coast along as nothing but a Carpenter. :(

You are still making good decisions because Carpenter is without a doubt the best crafting job to take to 50 first. Byregot's Blessing, almost by itself, makes the difference between reliably getting to 10-20% HQ rate on all NQ ingredients and reliably getting 100% HQ rate on literally everything. Byregot lets you Beat Crafting.

Leveling any craft is gonna eat funds though, unless you're leveling the gathering jobs in tandem. CRP will blow tremendous holes in your wallet unless you have botanist leveled to grab the hundreds of logs you're going to need for the various crafting tiers.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

RantingWords posted:

What are some of the crafting and gathering disciplines I should look at? I am picking up fishing for sure.

Edit: Character name is Kireek Kolecki

If you're planning on leveling thaumaturge then weaving, carpentry, and goldsmith can all provide stuff you'll use. Note, however, that you will almost certainly be outleveling your crafting jobs on your main battle class so you probably won't be outfitting your first battle class with homemade gear alone.

For crafting in general, it's highly recommended that you take all the crafting disciplines at least to 15 for their first cross-class skills; you'll generally find a use for all of them no matter which craft you decide to focus on first, and it gives you a good sense of what each craft will provide.

If you don't want to go whole hog into crafting at that point then just pick whichever craft you're interested in and go from there. If you decide you like crafting a lot and want to craft all the things, then the recommended order is All 15 -> CUL37 -> CRP50 -> WVR50 -> Whatever.

No matter what you pick you are very much going to want to simultaneously level either Miner or Botanist for raw materials and especially crafting shards or your going to be taking massive, constant hits to the wallet leveling crafts. Miner covers primarily blacksmith, armorer, goldsmith and an important ingredient for leatherworker; Botanist covers primarily carpenter, weaver, culinarian, and a bit of alchemist. Fishing will give you some stuff for culinarian and alchemist, and your battle class will cover the rest of leather.

Edit:

Requested_Username posted:

I find Culinary to be pretty fun and interesting, and you should definitely level it anyway because the cross class skills at CUL 15 and CUL 37 are arguably the two best in the game, with the only real competition from Carpentry level 50.

Really it's pretty hard to pick the best skill out of those three because each, individually, isn't that great. It's when you put all three together that the magic happens and suddenly you'll consistently get 100% hq rates off all NQ ingredients in whatever the hell you decide to make. The two CUL skills are pretty good paired, yeah, but CRP50 is what gives you the clutch 1000-1500 quality for when you really need it.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2013

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

With all of this recent crating talk, I'm very tempted to bring my Carpentry up to 50. How much of a time and leve and gil investment is it, anyway? My skill level is currently at 15, and I have no gathering classes to help me out. Should I level Botany first before embarking on the journey?

Yes, you very much want botanist for carpentry, at least to level 36, which is when you can start grabbing mahogany logs. You will need a lot of walnut and mahogany on the path to 50 so the most efficent path is to basically get 2-3 whole levels in botanist doing nothing but grabbing those logs to turn into lumber.

I won't lie, CRP very quickly becomes a bitch at around 30 and especially post 40, so you should be prepared for that.

Assuming you always hit the triple turn-in leves it'll probably cost you around 25 allowances, although this will be painful at level 30 because both triples that tier require steel ingots.

The least painful path is probably this:

20-25: Ash Mask (Lapis Lazuli) triple leve
25-30: Walnut Lumber triple leve
30-35: Walnut Macuahuitl courier leve (single)
35-40: Walnut Macuahuitl triple leve
40-45: Mahogany Spinning Wheel triple leve / Garnet Grinding Wheel single leve
45-50: Mahogany Lumber

If you don't want to burn all the leves between 30-35 since that will probably take 10 by itself your choices are two different triple turn ins: steel halberds and steel spears. Halberds are probably a non starter since they require iron, steel, and aldgoat leather and you would need maybe 45 of them; spears aren't much better but if you can track down crab oil at a reasonable price it's workable.

At 40, Mahogany Spinning Wheels require 2 mythril rivets per synth, which is admittedly horrible. The other triple turn in requires 2 mythril ingots and boar leather, and the singles aren't much better. The easiest one to craft is probably a single leve for a Garnet Grinding Wheel since it takes Raw Garnets that should be very inexpensive on the market board; it also takes a mythril ingot though so there's no escaping needing some.

Like I said, that's the least painful path up there, there is no pain-free choice.

At 45 the triple leve to turn in 5 Mahogany Lumber can be a bad choice; it actually gives less XP then the 40 triple turn in, and you have more xp required per level at that point. Considering that a full triple turn in leve would be eating 15 HQ lumber (and your HQ rate probably won't be perfect) that requires a sickening amount of logs and will probably drive you insane. It pushed me pretty close. Of course going back to the 40 leves may very well suck worse.

Trust me though, once CRP is 50 all the pain will be worth it. The first time you pop Great Strides -> Byregot after 5-6 quality increases is quite the thing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Valle posted:

Dictionary or it didn't happen

There's a crafting quest in Ul'dah (goldsmith I think? Forget) where you need to make a Macuahuitl for a gladiator who will namedrop the plural for the sword while talking about how awesome they are. FFXIV doesn't just entertain, it educates!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

jsr v2.0 posted:

Finally hit 50 Weaver! Got a guildmate to HQ me a set of the AF and the accessories. How difficult is it to craft HQ 1star items using NQ mats without Materia? I want to start making my AF pieces for my carp and fisher. I have 50 WVR, 50 CRP, 37 CUL, and all of my other crafting skills are 15.

edit: Also, I'm about to star focusing on my Mining and Goldsmithing. What items from Mining should I be focusing on to make leveling GSM easier?

Barring bad hasty touch runs you'll have 100% HQ rates on pretty much anything below 2-star now. I open with IQ and take one action to burn 10 durability, pop Manipulation and then Steady Hand II, followed by 5 hasty touches. Manipulation -> SHII again, then take either 3 or 5 hasty touches depending on how many have blown up, followed by Great Strides -> Byregot. At this point you should have 100% or near 100% HQ rate, so use Ingenuity and Careful Synth II and you'll finish the synth in 3 actions.

With the skills at your disposal you can basically make all the AF sets at this point.

As for Mining, you will want to grab Silver, Mythril, and Electrum ore. If you're planning on using triple-turn in leves to speed things up you'll want to grab some Raw Fluorite, Malachite, Peridot, and Amber. You should probably hang onto a few of most raw gems since the class requests will require some specific ones for their synths. Grab a lot of Siltstone because you can apply it to two different tiers of triple turn ins, and you'll probably use some Mudstone at places as well. Near max level of Miner, when you get there, stock some Basilisk Eggs for making Basilisk Whetstones for the highest tier jewelry that requires them. If you have the patience for it you'll get a lot of XP just turning ore into ingots and stones into whetstones even before you start making leve materials.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Downtime posted:

Twintania Down!

Good job, guys. :D

What kind of gear were your non-tanks using for the fight? I ask because the non-tanks in my group are spamming WP towards loading up a bunch of crafted accessories with Vit materia to push their hp above 4500 and it looks like most of you guys all had your HP up a fair bit above that.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Are leves the fastest way to level Botany? It's going at a good clip (33 since starting on friday), I just want to know if that's the best way to do it.

It's the fastest way but not necessarily the best way. If you're leveling Botany as a supplier of raw materials for crafting jobs you'll want to hold off on leves at specific levels to go grab a couple hundred of some important crafting ingredient instead.

Common targets are:

CUL
-Chamomile
-Millioncorn
-Iron Acorns
-Mirror Apples
-Midland Basil

CRP:
-Walnut Log
-Oak Log
-Mahogany Log

WVR:
-Flax
-Flax
-Flax
-Also Flax

Just keep an eye out in your gathering log for those things and make sure to grab some if you're interested in those crafts.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Hey, where's the renegade option so I can choke these stupid assholes who are jerking my chain over some feast while Titan is on the loose?

Don't worry, once you've finished all their ridiculous bullshit it'll all be worth it in the end.

No it won't.

On a related note though I actually did enjoy a lot of the little side quests in the various areas while you're slogging through prep before Titan, there is some good characterization and world building there. The one that stuck with me the most is finishing the string of quests that the secretary of the Lalafell who runs Costa gives you where you end up learning she was one of the Company of Heroes who killed Titan previously but serves as an assistant to the rich guy now because she still suffers from PTSD over the battle and can't bring herself to fight anymore. :smith: They sneak a fair amount of incidental info to build up Titan during all the extraneous bullshit if you're watching for it, although that doesn't excuse there being way more extraneous bullshit then they could reasonably get away with.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Photosynaesthesias posted:

It was all worth it just to hear the music in the upcoming fight.

That probably is the only argument which would hold water with me, yeah.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whizbang posted:

What friends? I hated all of those assholes, so that's when I really started rooting for the Empire.

Me, I reached this point after (seriously, don't look at this until you're past Garuda) spending almost the entire game preparing to fight and then getting my rear end kicked repeatedly by the three Primals, I get to watch Gaius stroll into the scene like a total boss, mercilessly gun down a bunch of beastmen with his arm cannon and then call his pet superweapon to brutally murder the Primals, a feat which took him maybe a minute and took me god knows how long. I left that cutscene thinking "holy poo poo, I am on the wrong side. Why am I on this side? I could be on the side with loving Ultima Weapon here, what is wrong with me?"

Bear witness to the glory of the Empire indeed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, I already broke 320 perception which is why I expect you want more gathering for higher percentages and more GP for obvious reasons. But right now I'm at 573 GP, so I'm mostly curious if materia can get me the 27 GP I need to break 600.

Everything I'm about to say assumes you have HQ versions of the highest level gathering stuff:

You can stick a GP III materia on each of your accessories (belt, neck, ear, wrist, ring x2) for an easy 18 GP from the free slots. At that point you have two choices: Your earrings, neck, and wrist have a GP cap of 7 materia so you can attempt to put another GP III on each of them. However the success rate for that is gonna be bad, sub 50% for sure so you will be dealing with a few busted materia until you get those extra slots filled and they are not cheap. Alternatively, you can put 3 GP III materia on your head, legs, and feet AF pieces (as they have a GP cap of 4) to reach 27 total; the downside for this is that while your accessories will benefit both gathering jobs should you choose to level both (or already have them) putting materia on AF directly means you'll have to add more materia to the other gathering job's set if you want to get them to 600 GP as well.

But here's something else to consider: you don't need 600 GP. Yes, it's nice to have the GP to remove the out of reach bars and still have GP to give boosts to success/HQ rates, but you can still do that short of 600. You have the 500GP already for King's Yield II so there are still a lot of options. All having 600 GP does is provide slightly higher averages for items gathered and how many are HQ; this is a straight up benefit, yes, but for that benefit you are paying (at least on my server) over 200k for the necessary GP materia, and it's not really worth that. If you're rolling in money though, go nuts.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

zarron posted:

Anyone have a goldsmith guide to making money? I just got it to 50 yesterday and I am really bad when it comes to the market boards.

Rose Gold Nuggets, first. Then, look up prices for Aetherite Rings and basically every Militia recipe you have access to, figure out which 2-3 have decent profit margins, make 2-3 of them, stick them on a retainer. Repeat as necessary. Note that only HQ stuff sells quickly, so unless you're sitting on a lot of cross-class skills you'll want HQ nuggets if you can possibly get them.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Hokuto posted:

The way things are now, both sides are screwed. The new people don't know the mechanics/don't understand poorly worded instructions/can't react with the same anticipation as a veteran the first time they see a mechanic. This isn't their fault, of course, but when they screw up, the veterans get impatient, and some primadonna healer or tank will end up leaving. With the way the queue system works right now, dungeons in progress are given worse than low priority, meaning that you could go half an hour or longer without getting a replacement tank or healer willing to join a dungeon in progress. So it becomes faster for the whole group to disband and requeue. That's not fun for anyone, and it's happened every single run I've done today.

I think grouping the two separately would make both extremes on this spectrum happier.

This may be limited to my server but a rough equilibrium is forming in that if you want into Praetorium speed runs, you do not queue at all but form a group manually, in Mor Dhona. It's not a set rule, really, so if you want your fresh run in Praetorium you have to take a stand on it.

People going through for the first time are the ones who are, and should be, using duty finder at the moment. If you are going to be one of those people, you should be very clear right as soon as you all zone in: if it's your first run, say so. If you are not skipping cutscenes, say so. If I or anyone in my FC is queuing Praetorium (which admittedly does not happen often anymore) it's taken as assumed that a couple people are going to be going in fresh and the run will not be a perfect speed run.

And this is the important bit: If you are queuing for Praetorium and expecting perfect speed runs then you have no business queuing in the first place. Get your lazy rear end to Mor Dhona and group with people who want the same thing you do. If you run into assholes in a queue? You tell them that, verbatim. You tell them to go run WP if they're so obsessed with fast tomes. It's not perfect and you probably will still run into primadonnas but the key is to get expectations out front and center right at the start.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Legacy's draw is that if you cared enough about FFXIV to subscribe to it when it sucked in 1.0, they thank you by asking for less money for 2.0, forever. If you're new to 2.0 and/or not really certain you'll keep a subscription for more than a couple months (or unsubscribe/resubscribe for version updates) then it's not as big a draw.

Lots of 1.0 legacy veterans, however, come from FFXI and tend to have a longer planning horizon. Most people still playing FFXI have been playing for years and years and that's the kind of mindset I'm talking about, people who expect to be playing FFXIV for a year or more. To them it's actually a pretty good bonus.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

notZaar posted:

Are 2 star items automatically HQ or is that double good?

It's pretty much the norm. HQ 2-stars have equivalent stats to Darklight with the additional benefit of slotting materia to make them even better.

Of course now there's no reason to NQ 2-stars anyway. There are more than a few strategies floating around which give you 100% success rates on HQ for 2-stars now, as well. That's not based on quality: it's a set of actions where, if you start with a certain amount of craft, control, and CP, and do actions in the right order, you get 100% HQ rates at the very end no matter what.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Nightskye posted:

Yeah, I do a lot of ingot sales and waste not + a great strides byregot's blessing at the end usually gets me everything through cobalt with near 100% reliability.

Ditto. Basically my standard 40 plan is to SHII + basic touch 5-6 successful actions, which usually gets me 900-1200 quality, then GS + Byre which gets me another ~1000, and this is enough to guarantee HQ on anything below level 45 or so. Above that (and for 1stars) I fall back on the tried and true SHII Hasty Touch spam with more durability restores folded in.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

seorin posted:

The lack of drops is what really bothers me about the current level 50 content. Unless you're doing coil, drops range from completely useless to filler gear used only until you get enough tomestones to replace it. I generally really like earning loot currency to purchase gear, but only if it's supplementing loot drops instead of completely replacing them. It should be there so you're not completely wasting your time even if the item you want never drops. It shouldn't be the sole reason to run anything.

I really hope the hard mode dungeons they've mentioned for 2.1 drop ilvl 70 gear, with the final boss dropping ilvl 80. If they just drop ilvl 60 stuff, anyone coming back for 2.1 isn't going to last long. Having different dungeons all dropping different pieces of the same level gear is what makes people actually run different things instead of just picking the fastest and easiest method to get their tomestones. Even if you hate random loot drops, cutting them out entirely is not a good thing.

This sort of thing has been a lively discussion topic in my FC (and other FCs, I imagine) for the last couple weeks as anticipation for 2.1 and the live chat in a few days spins up.

The grind to Darklight is a big problem, we agree, although after a certain point it becomes less of a problem as you start to pick up pieces. The start sucks, yes, but like leveling a job to 50 once you have your DL you never lose it.

The biggest problem, we've decided, is that endgame progression is basically shaped like a triangle, the tip of which is Coil. When you're starting, you actually have more choices and options for what to do in a day of play than when you're actually been doing endgame for awhile. When you need your Darklight still, you have WP, AK, Story Dungeons; hard mode primals give you bridge weapons until you get your relic. Once you have a sizable portion of DL and your relic weapon, however, you no longer really have a reason to run most of what I just described (barring runs for Mythology) and so your choice for "endgame" boils down to running Coil. Right now the hardcore players are at the tip of endgame but nearly everyone at 50 is moving in that direction by now, at various speeds.

The thing with Coil, of course, is that everything up to Turn 5 starts extremely challenging but once you have a group and you beat it, it gets much easier to beat it the second time and onwards. Getting to Turn 5 for a static group might take weeks the first time, but after awhile that same group will be clearing T1-4 in one 90 minute run. The absolute final point to FFXIV endgame right now boils down to turns 1-4 early in the week, capping myth, and then as much Turn 5 as you can stomach until the weekly reset. I know some groups now have Twintania on farm but that is the smallest fraction of the endgame playerbase right now, and even allowing for the majority eventually being able to kill TT reliably just creates two outcomes:

1. Clear up to Turn 4 early in the week, spend the rest of the week throwing cash and time at Twintania regardless of it you kill it or not
2. Clear up to Turn 5 early in the week, you now have no reason to log in if you are uninterested in leveling jobs or crafting (or have the additional ones you want already completed).

Can you imagine doing one of those for several months? Because I imagine a significant number of subscribers can't, and won't.

This may seem like it's getting away from your original point but my argument is this: This situation as described is where everyone is heading, and fixing the DL grind is just going to get everyone there faster, only half the solution to a bigger problem. I am both excited and worried about 2.1 because while they are describing a lot of new stuff being added to the game they have very explicitly said that Coil is going to remain the upper limit of content and everything new they're adding is going to be layered below that in terms of progression.

Now, I am not in any way saying the DL grind right now is acceptable and like you, I'm hoping they're going to add dropped equipment equal to DL in order to have a slightly lower-level version of the Allagan/Mythology combination that Coil provides. However, that can't be all they add to progression. If that's all, then the end result of 2.1 will be maybe an extra month on average of people doing the added content before an even larger chunk of people reach one of the two end points described above.

2.0 launched in August, so it will be ~4 months from launch to this version update. This game is going to be in serious trouble if TT remains the end point for 4 months after 2.1.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe FF14 isn't meant to be a hardcore raiding game? There is plenty of other options for fun in the game.

Maybe FF14 isn't meant to be a casual playing game? There is plenty of other options for fun in the game.

Frankly if they didn't intend for FFXIV to have at the very least a significant portion of hardcore players they would not have put half the effort into Coil that they did. A solid MMO which intends to be profitable long-term has to cater to both ends of the spectrum.

I would also bet you all the money in my pockets that current "casual" options for fun are going to turn stale over time, just as I described.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

You sound like your disappointed if you cant play 24/7 without getting bored. You can level up more characters and run coil everyday of the week, seven times the fun. Outside of the gear check of coil, I see none of it actually being challenging.

The content always starts challenging, if you wanted you could look back through this very thread and hear complaints and theorizing about HM Titan, Garuda, AK, early Coil. If it's not challenging now, it was at some point; but content becoming easy as you master it is a plus, not a minus.

Granted, you may have found it easy from the start, some people did. I know I had an easier time than some for my content progression because I was playing with friends I had known a long time. But this is less about specific people and more about the playerbase as a whole.

It's a question of scale. There is a midpoint between what you suggest (7 alts? Nah.) and what we currently have. Like I said, 2.1 is going to fix this problem, but not forever, and not as long as SE needs it to be fixed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

:swoon: Oh my god, those Warrior changes. Counting everything it looks like WAR would hash out to maybe 10-15% -dt% over time against pld's constant 20%? Works for me. Counting Storm Path's debuff there, which we don't know particulars of.

I like how they're tying most of the new defensive changes to direct attacks as opposed to cooldowns. Fits the War philosophy of attack-attack-attack and building stacks for tanking.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

Woo time to pug crystal tower, because you have no other choice!

Jesus Christ.

Because you know, when I first heard about a new 24-man raid I knew instantly that it would be a complex and difficult challenge made even better by the fact that I would be forced to play it with 16 people I don't loving know.

I especially liked the related question where they said that while in CT the groups would be able to co-operate and help each other but there would be other sections where groups would have to deal with challenges on their own. That's not going to gently caress up any runs at all.

That was the biggest fart in the talk but honestly I am disappointed by a fair bit of it. Hard modes are going to be giving i60 gear, so is Pharos Sirius. I really hope they drop more than 40 myth or the community will probably gravitate away from them back to WP, especially if they take 30+ minutes to run. Those places were the spot to give incidental i70 gear to ease darklight and they dropped the ball. They were willing to give King Mog relic weapon equivalents but couldn't do the same for gear?

Extreme Primals do look good, looking forward to those. I know not everyone here plays with a hardcore perspective but I'm looking forward to having something to do with my tricked-out jobs that isn't Twintania all week.

Buffing Allagan gear is probably also going to get another tier of players past turn 5, since a lot of groups are going to have partial or full sets of Allagan depending on their luck come December 17.

Still, I am honestly a bit afraid to log in right now. There were more than a few people in my FC who were really, really looking forward to organizing in-house CT raids and we had been recruiting for that purpose. There is a non-zero chance some of my friends won't be playing anymore when I look for them now.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

shas posted:

Vote kicking in parties :confuoot:

I am sure this will be used only to remove assholes who are bringing down raid parties. Like those disruptive jerks who dare to try and come into my speed runs wearing only AF. Like, where's your full Darklight, buddy? That weapon isn't glowing. Off you go.

I mean it had to be done and it's going to be a benefit but I think everyone knows that above paragraph is going to see a lot of use in duty finder in 2.1. Sucks.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Dross posted:

All I see is more ways to farm one type of token for the one viable set of gear in which to do the one 15-minute endgame boss.

Fixed your post a bit.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to Extreme Primals being a good change of pace from constant Twintaniaing, and CT/Roulette is going to make gearing up additional jobs a hell of a lot easier, but this is still an issue which is going to get bigger with time. I hold by a point I've made earlier, which is that everything 2.1 adding is just going to give the game a month's grace until "casual" players are right beside the "hardcore" ones griping that there's nothing to do other than hitting caps and coil once.

In fact it's very worrying what they've done here because while Coil 5 will still be the endpoint for 2.1, what happens in 2.2? Is it just going to be replaced by another set of 5 turns which everyone will start doing until they're farming one type of token for the one viable set of i120 gear to go fight Necrophobia in Turn 10 or something?

Well, that is a very long way off and I'll hope Yoshida and the dev team decide to add a bit more variety to endgame between then and now.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

The forced pick up group factor makes me wonder if they're going to tune crystal tower to be like Raid Finder stuff from WoW - pretty much a joke if people even mildly press buttons and coordinate. I'd hope so. Nothing against random people (I've met some great random players), but you can't expect the same level of commitment or skill or just about anything if you're throwing 24 random jerks together.

They said it's tuned for i55 gear, so basically Amdapor Keep level of difficulty. Being able to hit buttons is probably all you need, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

But in those 10 magical minutes a paladin might felt emasculated by the fact that a level 2 class is much manlier than its level 50 job.

Hey man, don't make the paladins feel bad, it's hardly their fault they have to live with the tiny sword they're dealt as opposed to the imposing greataxes the men are blessed with.

• Locked thread