Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm thinking of giving this game a try, if only to shut up a friend who is pestering me to play it. I just have one important question though.

Why the gently caress is there no Red Mage? I mean, c'mon, its been in FFs with job systems since the first one! :argh: I really enjoyed playing Red Mage in FF11, granted being refresh bitch was a drag in most parties, but the versatility at other times was great, plus they're are the most stylish motherfuckers ever.

So why the hell does this game not give me the option to sling spells and wave a rapier around while wearing a fancy red hat with a massive feather in it?

Is there anything that plays remotely like Red Mages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a way to use the steam version of the game without actually buying it through steam? I assume the answer is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I got a question, I know the OP says

quote:

How do I choose what city I start in?
Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in. Refer to the class list above.
But while I'm rather undecided on what job I ultimately want to play, I do know I want to start out at that seaport place, Limsa Lominsa, because the pictures I've seen of it are pretty and it has boats and pirates and stuff. Is there anything stopping me from picking one of the two classes that start there (both are kind low on the interest list) and then immediately switching classes?

I'm leaning towards the following jobs, BLM, DRG, or MNK or Arcanist (since it sounds kind of Red Magey), but I'm horribly undecided since this stupid game doesn't have Red Mages (best job ever).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Niton posted:

Also, if you want to be a Dragoon, they require Marauder 15 to unlock, which is convenient because Level 15 is the minimum level for the story airship quests, and Marauder is also in Limsa!

Yeah, I noticed that, and I am leaning towards Dragoon, since it was my other main job in FFXI (that no one cared about or wanted me as because skilled RDMs were worth their weight in gold). However I'm a bit hesitant because, well, the armor looks stupid.

Look at this:

One of these is simple and stylish, the other is an overcomplicated pile of :emo: looking pointy-bits. And I am very particular about my video game barbies. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno about catgirls and suitcases of gil, but as a newbie I did enjoy the PBC hot tub while waiting for Brayflox to pop so I could continue the story.

Almost to Titan.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does it have bubbles? Cause I would totally jump ship for bubble hottubs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rei_ posted:

How the gently caress does anyone know what a yalm is?

Its 3 fulms, duh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Vil posted:

Those class quests every 5 levels will give you a decent weapon each time, up to level 30; after that you'll have to rely on gear from story quests, dungeon drops, crafter friends, or the price-gouging market board. (I recommend the crafter friends.)

I probably should've thought about this before I blew most of my cash and bought a nearly complete set of HQ Mythril armor for my level 40 WAR last night. The stupid decisions we make when running on very little sleep and being up too late...

Then again, I don't think I've used the armor yet (though I did dye it), maybe I can just resell it and ask a goon if they can craft a set.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nope, its not bound yet. Cool. Maybe I'll just stick to my Cavalry armor, it is pretty stylish.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You mean Enthunder, Enfire, etc? Those are the RDM's domain, back off. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Look man. The FF11 RDM already lost convert and fastcast to the BLM, and a good chunk of enfeebles to the book worms. I'm not losing more ground. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Legend of the Hidden Temple of Qarn, hosted by Qarn Facer.

"The choices are yours, and yours alone!" :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Finally hit 50 on my WAR, still need to do Cape Westwind and the rest of the story crap before I can start working on all that poo poo like Relic Weapon (assuming I ever care enough to put much :effort: into it).

Hopefully I can get some of you guys to help me out with that stuff, cause I'd rather not listen to pubbies bitch about me watching the cutscenes (and gently caress you, I'm gonna watch the cutscenes, screw watching them later at the inn), well that and putting up with pubbie idiocy in general in a dungeon/trial I'm unfamiliar with (especially since I'm the tank).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I want Kefka, if only for another rendition of Dancing Mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YNfX1oU2XA

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only if Pugilist/Monk gets a suplex skill.

Just have Manderville Suplex it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I just reached Castrum Meridianum and from what I understand it has a shitton of cutscenes and so does whatever follows after it in the last bits of the main story. For some reason I stubbornly don't want to skip all that and watch it later (stupid I know) but at the same time I don't feel like pugging it and dealing with the bitching and/or being left behind and missing all the fights my first time though (especially since I'm a WAR).

I dunno. I'll probably just skip that poo poo and watch it afterwards. I am probably stupid for actually caring about the "experience".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, but I kind of want to do the boss fights too. Though I guess I could always do those on a second run.

I don't suppose there are a handful of other goons nearing the end of the story and a few that'd be willing to help do a run? Probably too much to hope for. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll probably see if goons want to run Castrum Meridium to Roll Credits tomorrow around afternoon/evening PST. If not, to the DF and pubbie bitching as I watch Cutscenes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me an Lela out with Castrum Meridium and Praetorium today. I had to go pretty suddenly right after the credits rolled, so I didn't really get to thank everyone then. Sorry. :shobon:

I really appreciated it though. Now to figure out all this endgame crap and where to start.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Market Boards are the auction house. However, you need to do a quest in Vesper Bay to get the ability to dye stuff. Look for the Elezen(?) lady sitting on a bench near the big Lallafel statue.

That said, while some dyes can only be obtained via the market board, you can find a decent selection on NPCS for 40-250-ish gil each. The most obvious one is the one in Limsa Lominsa whose title is "Dyemonger". The dye seller in Ul'Dahn's title is "independent merchant", and I can't remember Gridania's. If you're not sure, just check their booths for what looks like a few reels of various colors of thread hanging up in one area.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of Bravura, I've heard people mention "Relic Trains" a few times in this thread/ingame. I assume that is people just quickly smashing through the (surprisingly length) requirements to finish the "A Relic Reborn" quest? I just hit WAR50 and finished the main story last week, and while I'm not sure how far into endgame I want to go, I do know I want to get the Bravura (its cool looking) and do the Manderville questline.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

bonewitch posted:

As with every other job, its the second most important thing to do once you hit 50.

What is the first? :v: Getting the /Mdance?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kyrosiris posted:

The first being, if it's your first 50, to unlock Glamours.

But I like the WAR armor... though I guess that means I could use it to glamour over all that stupid end game armor I've been seeing (Like that Allagan tank chest, ew).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

These are true as changes of pace. How expensive are glamours?

And yeah, /visor is the best. I was such a nerd, I replaced the usual "draw/sheath" weapon button with a macro that also toggles the visor. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thern posted:

I ran all of my caster classes through there, and have yet to ever see the gloves drop. AT that point I was just like forget it.

The gloves are the only piece of B.Mage gear I have. Meanwhile I got nearly a complete set of Cavalry gear running the drat place on my BLM. So I decided to try out WAR, and it proved fun (BLM is fun too, I'll have to finish it at some point).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I want to thank Hank Nice for his help in crafting my new Heavy Darksteel Armor. :tipshat:

Now how soon can I be rid of this awful tin can. :barf: I can't even properly glamour over it with my WAR armor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're welcome. Nice dye job, btw.

You need to glamor the top to a hempen undershirt.

Why stop there?

Much better.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 7, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The music that plays while fighting Titan was not what I was expecting at all but drat that was pretty awesome nonetheless.

I like Garuda's theme even more, though it is less :black101:.

One of the new classes better be Red Mage. Or I demand the thread title be changed to "FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Dire Lack of Magical Musketeers" :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They could always Embrace the accidental role Ninja fell into in FF11 and make Ninja a tank. :v:

Also your list is worthless because it leaves you Red Mage, I know, make RDM a tank!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Healer is the role I want to see Red Mage in the least, but I'd take it I guess. Personally I'd want support and/or DPS using Enspell boosted melee (cause all the other magic users are already slinging ranged spells).

Anything is better than your classes defining feature being a portable MP source, aka "Refresh Bitch". :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As an old FF11 Corsair (amongst other things), the relic gun had better be called Coffinmaker. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC all of the Ninja abilities required inventory tools, for Utsusemi (the blink spell) it needed paper dolls.

Rangers and Corsairs also had to use actual ammunition too, and the good stuff got quite expensive. Corsairs also had to keep Elementally charged playing cards in their inventory to use their special elemental gun attacks.

FFXI was a game of a different, harsher era.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I will not have anyone besmirch FFXI :colbert:

It had alternate dimensions. And dreamworlds. And time travel. And samurai. And job emotes. And dual-wielding. And guns. It had a lot of awesome poo poo!

Oh yeah....AND DANCER. Do you understand, can you even comprehend how overcome with joy I would be if I could, in the world of FFXIV, dance ~* Forever and a Day *~ with my Dance, The Dance that can Pierce the Heavens?

The world of Vana'Diel was beautiful and the story was pretty good, much like 14.

The gameplay sucked however.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I am going to have to suuuuuper-disagree with you there.

Playing FFXIV for the first time was jarring as hell. The battle system in FFXI compared to FFXIV was super chillaxed, and the job/subjob system was the tits. Main Dancer with Ninja sub? Now I got dual-wield. Dancer updated with dual wield trait? Sub Warrior and now I got double-attack.

Monk's had kick attack trait! I could attack up to 3 times, 6 times max with Warrior subbed.

Or I could have done what 99% of other monks do and start the fight and go make a sandwich. Options!

Moral of the story, stop trashing FFXI and get back to talking about catte buttes (FFXI had those too)

I quit a couple months after Treasures of Aht Urgan came out. At the time, Partying was basically mandatory to do anything in the game unless you were a BST and mindless multi-party endgame grindfests and camping once-a-day HNMs were the norm for getting cool toys.

I know it got better with the later expansions, but when I quit, the gameplay sucked.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You do kind of need a party in XIV to do stuff, too. You can't solo Titan HM, nevermind EX. Yes, the Duty Finder exists but you have the same problem on current content, no DF or even PF group is reasonably going to clear it.

Back in the days I played XI, you needed parties just to level up past the absolute newbie areas. You would also only farm certain "accepted" monsters because they were easy to chain and you often would compete against other XP Farm parties for pulls. Parties could often be pretty picky or demanding in what they wanted too, and all jobs were not created equal some of the non-optimal jobs sometimes struggled to even get into XP parties.

You could do nearly nothing in FFXI without a party.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One of these days I should bother to work on my retainers, is there a decent guide or whatever?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Honestly it sounds like retainers are having funner adventures than we are. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why must I be at work. I want to watch. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Granted I know nothing of 14's devs, but game devs are frequently mediocre at their own games.

(Edit) but it will reap a rich harvest of pubbie tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Meh. :geno:

What about the gun class?

• Locked thread