Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Picked up the CE for half off through Amazon's sale today as I'd been considering this game for awhile. I'm looking at going with a damage-heavy melee class and was looking between Marauder and Pugilist. Given the jobs they each lead to later Pugilist seems like the better choice as its job focuses on damage instead of tanking. How is it as a starting class for a new player? Would like to avoid a slow class with lots of downtime if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pierson posted:

Marauder leads to a tank class so if you want to be a hard-hitting damage-dealer than yeah start with Pugilist or Lancer to get to Monk and Dragoon respectively. Pugilist gets an amazing storyline so I hear and apparently Lancer is quite boring until you get access to their full combo somewhere in the mid-game.

Systematic System posted:

While doing anything in this game mostly involves mashing buttons so there's no downtime between actions, monk (the pugilist job) is going to be the quickest pace/involve the most movement of any DPS job. They have an buff that reduces the GCD significantly for them, and all their main combos rely on positioning to do maximum damage. Dragoon/Lancer have a few positional requirements, and two combos, while Bard/Archer has no combos, but is ranged damage, so they can move around freely. Summoner/Black Mage are ranged DPS, so they generally standstill unless they have to move, and neither has combos (Black Mage focuses on managing MP and various proc abilities, and Summoner is generic DPS class with a pet with a few abilities).

Pugilist it is then. Assuming this update is the last one (since the previous 3 apparently weren't).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

This instance argument stuff is giving me nightmare-inducing flashbacks to Aion and its ever shrinking, ever screaming elitist mindset for instances, especially the new stuff like Infinity Shard. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So how often does Excalibur open up for new character creation? I just have the client on in the background but it's still closed any time I refresh. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Not sure if you're on Excalibur and in DGKK/PBC or not, but if you are, please oh please just pester someone (including me, Kyrosiris Delteressa) to make you shiny gear. I keep saying it because it's sad to see all these complaints of "oh I feel completely useless, I can't hold threat/heal enough/do enough deeps" and then you inspect them and they have 10+ level out of date gear. :ohdear:

I'm 11 about to hit 12 on my pugilist. Should I be poking people to make me gear as well, or not needed until 15+ and doing group content?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

For people asking about newbie friendliness:

I started back before the weekend and have had a lot of help, both with gear and dungeons, from goons in the DGKK free company(guild). The game's not very complex when you're starting out, though different jobs and classes can use some other class skills. I have the Lancer's slow-inducing attack on my monk but I hardly use it because it seems that when you debuff enemies they get more resistant and eventually immune to the effect entirely.

My monk layout is probably really bad though. I used straight shot as a pugilist for awhile too because it meant having a crit rate boost which helped when soloing because holy poo poo it's near impossibly to flank/rear attack enemies. If you move during their basic attack animation you can sometimes pull it off, otherwise you're doing frontal attacks unless they're charging a skill.

Then you join a group for a dungeon and slide between flank/rear, unloading on your target while keeping touch of death and demolish running with greased lighting and twin snakes buffs up, then you pop internal release so that you're laying on the damage and crits. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I'll keep that in mind. I'm leveling CNJ right now (first character) because I like to heal and in this game it seems pretty good, but questing in general is boring as poo poo because I only have one damaging spell (I know rotations aren't very complex but I imagine they're more than one skill). So I figure I can just try everything else out in the meantime and then level CNJ until I can queue for dungeons and then just spam those.

Say I want to swap to Arcanist to gently caress around for a bit so I can become a white mage. Since I'm already wearing CNJ gear do I just have to change the weapon and I'll be good to go, assuming I'm wearing relatively low level gear that doesn't have a class restriction? Or do I need to buy a whole new set? I know I CAN wear my cnj gear but I don't know if stat priorities are different or something.

I apologize if i'm asking lovely questions, I'm just trying to figure stuff out while I'm not in-game so that when I do play I'll know what I'm doing.

And also, UI customization looks like there's an insane amount of potential, but I'm not nearly good enough to design one that isn't loving terrible. Are there any suggested preset UIs?

I'm guessing this isn't an issue until 50 and high end gear? At 34 I can only run out of TP if I spam Arm of the Destroyer, which is dumb unless I'm AOEing a dozen enemies in a FATE (which happens every now and then).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cleared titan normal. It was a pretty cool fight, though the one AOE he was using at the end I just could not get away from in time, but it only did 350-400dmg per hit, so with ~1300hp and a goonparty it wasn't fatal at least.

cheetah7071 posted:

Rather than put in previous bosses, they should spend more time putting in outfits from the rest of the series. If summoners could dress up like Yuna I'd for sure ditch my current class and never play anything but Summoner again.

The lack of a Sabin outfit makes me sad. Also suplex. Give me a loving suplex skill. :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TooManyUzukis posted:

Monks always get the best petrification poses. That somewhat dulls the deep deep hurting that is T7.

http://puu.sh/8impU.jpg

I really wish monks actually got claws and not just medieval brassleather and wood knuckles. I love the class but the weapons they use are boring as hell and lack the weapons used by guys like Sabin and Yng.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So when can I get something like that? Its been wooden handles with leather for the last 37 levels.

Fishious posted:

If you want claws and the general slashy monk look you gotta start farming Second Coil

Oh. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Two things:

1, Stone Vigil is awesome. I was the first challenging instance I've done (I'd forgot to unlock Cutter at 38 but anyways) and the Jamhadars it dropped are probably the first proper claw-style weapon I've had. Being able to punch-stab poo poo is nice.

2, :siren: Unlock the Challenge Log at level 15 :siren: it is cool as hell and throws XP/Gil at you while you play through the game. If a goon hadn't mentioned it I'd have never known about it because it's just some level 15 quest that the game never seems to mention.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

You can buy a stat respec for 10k seals which are pretty easy to come by just by greeding every single crappy drop in dungeons.

How do you get seals from this?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bland posted:

It sure is gonna be great when materia prices jump to the hundreds of thousands after this.

I suddenly have a lot of free time and might hit 50 in the next few days. I take it this means if I want to buy materia for a relic weapon I'm basically going to get hosed by these changes? :(

Fishious posted:

I managed to get it before these errors started, materia prices are comical on my server right now. I have savage might iv listed at 500k each and the price is quickly catching up.

gently caress me I don't even have half that much gil at level 46. (

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Klewer posted:

just buy the weapon with the materia pre-melded. those shouldn't increase in price and there are usually a few of them on the MB

I'd ask what a good price is for the monk one, but with materia changes I guess the answer would probably be "anything listed right now"?

e: picked up a cesti with 2 materia in it for 75k, materia on their own were 50k each so that works.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 5, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with asian MMOs having really expensive things come with a chance to fail? Isn't the price enough? Goddamn.

It's just some stupidly popular thing there. Korean designers in particular seem to love poo poo like item reinforcement with an eventual chance of destroying the gear because when they poopsock for 10,000 hours AND get a bunch of >1% successes they get to lord it as some achievement. The games tend to do global announcements of success (or failure) which only pushes it even more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Did Ifrit/Garuda/Titan HM last night with goons. Got on later and saw that my relic weapon quest was listing that I needed the stone from Titan. I guess I get to run it again. :confuoot: (e: group I had in DF cleared it first try. Finally got my relic weapon :woop:)

I saw this person talking once in shouts, making stupid comments like "join may party, look in PF under panties" and immediately blacklisted them. It's probably a 45 year old man running the character. Their only saving grace is that their character isn't a lalafell.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Add thief as a base class, pair it with pugilist for ninja and gladiator for samurai.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Meiteron posted:

So basically don't expect to use any of those until we get an expansion that deals more directly with the empire where we might get a class related to them.

Magitek Armor operator Job. Crosses over between Marauder and some new class. :getin:

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nine Inch Nails confirmed as writing all music for 2.4 onwards.

2.4 confirmed to be based entirely around Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Trent Reznor is currently making his magnum opus that is the boss battle remix.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Willias posted:

Dark Age of Camelot was out long before FF11 and had combat much more similar to WoW's (actually, it also had a kind of neat combo system where you had to follow up attacks with other attacks). WoW's biggest thing is that it took out all of the bullshit grinding of most MMOs, and gave players definite paths of progression that would take them to level cap without requiring other players. Soloing to the level cap as any character class wasn't something MMOs would let you do.

Games like Calab Online (why do I remember this lovely korean mmo) had a combo system as well when it came out. Even games like Ragnarok Online had you with a fairly skill-active setup unless you were running something like a dodge/luck spec autoattack assassin. EQ1 was loving awful though. A friend got me to try it in college and I was sick of it within the hour.

I have never done a venture, this clearly needs to be rectified. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

there's a debuff where if you move you explode

this will be hilarious

We can call it the "gently caress you for playing a monk" debuff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I've picked up 3 Atmas already(used the schedule from the redit thread posted earlier) but honestly, I'm not seeing much point to it when the only difference seems to be a few points of strength more at best. I sure as hell don't see myself doing the animus grind let alone the novus insanity.

bonewitch posted:

Thanks to echo, most healers can straight up heal through High Voltage if they're decently geared. I think the only time HV actually scares me is when it goes off at the start of enrage in T2 because that *will* wipe you if you get unlucky.

This just happened to us. :sigh:

e: twice. :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Or run monk squads for literal goonrush spam.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I have begun the Best Questline, and perhaps short of :neckbeard: I think this sums up my reaction so far:

I'm in for some crazy poo poo, aren't I? :stare:

You have no idea. It is the most anime of questlines.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

Hit 50 on my warrior this weekend after a pretty casual time leveling using the challenge log, low level duty finder and daily quests when I was 41+. I already had a full set of i60 gear and the Titan HM axe lying around, so with the bit of Myth I spent I can already queue for all the dungeons.

What is the best way to farm some Myth at this point? I've only recently started playing again and haven't even unlocked the expert roulette yet. Should I just do some high level roulettes or do I just jump straight into Bray hard since that seems to be the primary myth farming spot?

Low Level Roulette gives 100 myth. High level gives 70 plus the dungeon's myth (I think). CT gives 150 and you might get lucky and pick up some i80 gear in the process.

There's also always brayflox hard which can be cleared pretty fast and gives decent myth/soldiery.

Rei_ posted:

Speaking of Crystal Tower, why are we the ONLY data centre that tanks Bone Dragon off in the corner?

We aren't when a goon (Lyle) main tanks it. Then people scream their heads off about it even though we clear the fight just fine unless the other two groups are terrible (Alliance B is always terrible).

I can deal with people pulling it to the north, but having to stand in an enemy model to flank/rear hit properly is annoying as gently caress and even if you can do it it's still poo poo and I hate people for making me do it.

Vil posted:

That's because an awful lot of tanks are self-important babies with terrible judgment.

Example: in-progressed into a roulette hardflox yesterday where the previous tank had nope'd out because apparently MNK and DRG would be "too slow". We cleared it in 9 minutes from when I joined.

Yes but you see that 9 minutes isn't 7-8 minutes so gently caress you dad oh wait I can't join a new dungeon for 30 minutes now. :shrug:

I love hardflox speed runs not just due to the fast soldiery farming but also because the other people skip all the chests. Once the dungeon ends I just back-track and loot the gear they skipped. Even if my monk doesn't need it it doesn't hurt to have for when I eventually take other classes to 50.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Good to see main tank syndrome is alive and well in at least one modern mmo.

It's like this for all classes in Aion. That game's always been bad about gear and knowledge but Aion's the (dying) MMO where a week after new content comes out people will kick you from instance groups because you don't know the instance inside and out or lack a full set of +10 or higher max level gear, and as such your imperfection means the group might wipe one or have a fraction of a percent chance of failing.

Their solution to this mindset was to introduce instances like Infinity Shard. To enter you need to farm 10 items and then use them to make a key (receipe is single use, sold at a camp the other side might control at a given moment) or buy the key from their cash shop. You have 20 minutes to kill the boss before it wipes you and leaves. So you get a single chance to win the fight and if you want to run it more than once a day you have to use reset scrolls (buy for real money or from people who bought it for real money and sold in game).

I'll take FF14's manbaby tanks without question.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

Holy shittt, Hein looking FABULOUS

His hat had better be a drop usable by all classes for the sole purpose of glamoring on to all your helmets. :whatup:

Bonus points if it includes his face (or the upper half) as a mask too.

justlysarcastic posted:

Usually just lurk in this thread, but after what just happened to me, I gotta ask.

Have Crystal Tower runs been ridiculously bad lately for the rest of you? They've been absolutely abysmal the second it started providing 150 myth on my datacenter (Aether), to the point where repeated wipes on every boss with the clock counting down to under 30 minutes left (and not even half-way to the end) is a thing that happens way too often. A pack of friends and I just spent over 3 hours trying to run CT, but left every time we tried due to a vote abandon because of various reasons, up to and including troll players, tanks who refused to learn the fights, and pissing contests in other alliances. The past five times I've tried to run, both with my usual group and myself, we either barely squeaked by or ran into inter-alliance fights/tank's fighting over who has hate from the boss.

So yeah, is CT just a living nightmare across the board now or is the Aether datacenter just hosed for some reason? :(

CT runs are glorious, like today where we tanked in the middle (as God intended) and the other two alliances were raging so hard that at least two other tanks kept deliberately trying to wipe us on Bone Dragon and King Behemoth because they were bitter about whatever stupid poo poo they were bitter about (Bone Dragon tanked in the middle). The highlight of that run was easily the Bone Dragon where the fight started and most/all of alliance C was locked out. B had 1 healer because the other rage quit, and we had maybe a total of 13 or 14 people not locked out of the fight.

And we win, tanking the boss in the middle while alliance C watched from the sidelines. :patriot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I've gotten to the point where if a tank in a roulette plays like poo poo I just make sure to keep the healer alive, who tends to return the favor. Either the tank dies a bunch and gets a clue, quits and gets replaced, or we clear the dungeon somehow and I end up with a couple commendations while thanking the tank for being useless on his way out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...Join PBC DGKK!

I agree. :colbert:

bonewitch posted:

I DF'd Titan EX tonight and it was surprisingly fun! I went into it expecting it to be hellish but it was pretty entertaining. Unfortunately we had no dps because 3/4 dps were BLM's and our fourth was a Bard who continually and repeatedly died to the first set of plumes. :psyduck:

What plumes? Do you mean you ran Garuda EX or are you talking about something else? My condolences for not having a monk squad in there. Monk supremacy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Even the dragoon in this neat thing sucks if you watch him. I guess Dragoons are the butt of jokes even for the Japanese players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

This video was one of the reasons I went with monk over dragoon.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had bio miss on a levequest just now. I'm level 39 and he was level 44, so it isn't uncommon for something to miss, but bio certainly did.

Isn't that just your standard "level differences cause a miss rate of X% per level difference" found in MMOs? In Lotro a mob 5 levels above you avoids probably 50% of your attacks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Can someone get all the FFXI stockholm syndrome victims out of here?

One of the reasons I got in to this was because I kept hearing how it wasn't like 11. Considering this game surpassed 2 million subscribers only a few months ago, which is larger than any number ever given for FF11, the last thing this game needs is to be more like its predecessor. (e: some PS4 promo video said 1.8 million but I think that was prior to this article)
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/676685-ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-2-million-subscriber-milestone

People have have their atma/anima/novus repetition if they'd like, just keep it far away from the main game design philosophy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Murderous Mogfists are the best weapon. I'm going to glamor them on to every fist weapon I use. Death by moogle heads. :3:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

loving with things in CT is pretty much the most fun thing to do outside of raiding in the game for me. Watching people lose their entire minds because I tanked the Dragon in the Middle is amazing. Yea, low level trolling is stupid. But it's so insanely easy to recover from anything in that place that most people can't gently caress it up too much. People get wildly upset at me for being too reasonable in there in response to their vitriol. They bring it on themselves truly

It's Comedy Tower

Tanking in the middle isn't even trolling either. It's the proper way to do the fight and makes life easier for pretty much everyone especially melee DPS who don't have to go prancing through pools of purple death to hit the skeletons. The last time I did CT we tanked in the middle and NOBODY complained. They even demanded more bongos when we kept playing them constantly.

It was terrifying. :ohdear:

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is the catch up patch, anyways. CT is going to drop i100 gear and people are going to get a lot closer to ilevel 100-110.

Do you mean current CT, or CT2? Because if current CT is going to drop i100 then Turn 1 coil is going to be completely pointless.

e: and if so I hope it just means the current i80 stuff will be made in to i100 gear because I have 4 pieces of CT monk armor right now. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ul'Dah is better but this is still a super wrong opinion to have. Merlwyb caps a Sahagin mid monologue and gives no fucks, Merlwyb owns.

Raubahn carries around his boss like a pet and he's a dual-wielding gladiator. Much better than highschool goth pirate Merlwyb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

In that 25 minutes nobody said "just use return and take the shortcut" or even "we can do this fight without him"?

When someone says "my return isn't working" and they are that lost it's time to kick them and just continue on. Unless it was a full premade, then just do the fight without them because it's only Prae and you'll manage unless you're a full party of fresh 50s.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, there's a lot of masochists who think that something is only "worth something" if it's a nightmare grind to get (mostly so they can wag their e-peen around about it).

Look man, if you aren't good enough to run something hundreds of times to maybe get an item set on a 1% drop rate them you just aren't good enough.

-Pretty much every Asian MMO ever and most people who play them seriously

It kills me how prevalent the mindset of RNGesus people are after nearly two decades of MMOs (longer if you count MUDs). There is nothing special about RNG and you aren't a good player just because you got lucky due to factors that are entirely outside of your control. When Lotro added level 85 first age items a year ago I ended up with two of the items needed to make them after running relevant instances maybe a dozen times. There were others, including several goons, who ran the same content for weeks on end and never saw a single first age symbol drop for them.

Hell even here in FFXIV I've seen the same thing. Ended up with the melee ring from garuda ex the first (and only) time I cleared it and got the murderous mogfists on my second clear of Thornmarch hm. Yet I've run other instances a dozen or more times and never saw any of several items drop that I'd hoped for. RNG is ans has always been lazy carrot and stick game design. Tokens and other such systems have been a step up from it since you are always progressing but anyone who talks about "skill" or "effort required" in regards to RNG has no idea what they're talking about and are just looking for something, anything, to justify the time they spent rolling dice and praying that this time will be better in some loot-based Stockholm Syndrome.

FFXIV has already shown it can have players accomplish something without some lazy RNG farming reliance. The Relic quests are pretty much just that: You put time and effort in to something, progress through it, and accomplish something (nice weapon) at the end. There's no running HM primals over and over until the RNG graces you with a quest item drop. Yet after that setup is Atma farming which is the laziest timesink design possible.

Ohtsam posted:

WHOOO

As an aside if anyone is online the next time Odin comes up please take screenshots.

I am never going to get to fight Odin. :sigh:

bonewitch posted:

Relic upgrades are meant to be a timesink for those who can't or won't do high-end endgame content. The problem with Atmas is two-fold: they can't easily nerf it like they nerf each earlier relic upgrade, and the amount of time required is totally dependant on rng.

Base relic: Guaranteed once you clear the HM primals; They've nerfed hm primals through the addition of echo and the natural inflation of gear
Zenith: Guaranteed once you get 900 myth; Nerfed through the removal of myth caps and increased myth drops
Atma: Totally random, can take between 5 hours and Literally Infinite Amounts Of Time; Can't easily be nerfed because even if they bumped the drop rate to 5%, or 10% you're still at the whim of rng.
Animus: Guaranteed once you get 13500 myth; Can be nerfed by increasing myth drops, decreasing myth costs
Novus: Guaranteed once you get 75 alexandrite/materia; Can be nerfed by increasing myth drops, decreasing myth costs, adding new ways of getting alexandrite, etc

As the relic quest line goes on, they'll want new players to be able to catch up. Atma acts as a huge wall early in the process though, and it's only going to get worse as more post-atma steps are added.

Doesn't materia usage have a chance to fail for Novus?

Atma's issue for a quick sorta-fix is to up the chance for them to drop or provide alternate means of getting an Atma such as by creating an item you use and as long as you gold medal a FATE in the relevant area you get the Atma. Make it cost Myth or maybe a small amount of Soldiery. Players now have an alternate, non-RNG reliant means of getting Atma.

But yeah, the RNG aspect for Atma would have to be removed or given another option to reasonably nerf the requirement. Making the Atma relic weapon give better stats than the Zenith would be nice too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Varance posted:

Only BLM buff that's needed is to Scathe. If double damage chance were tied to current Astral stack level (giving BLM 70% of their standing DPS while moving), plus it refreshed the current Astral Ice/Fire stack, I think BLMs would be okay. Nothing fucks your DPS harder than losing stacks after a bad bout of encounter RNG. Vine + bulb (or idiot on the other end of the vine) = gotta ramp up again if you don't have am instant Fire III proc ready.

Monks constantly lose greased lightning in fights like titan, and perfect form can only help so much. I'd have to imagine the interruptions in buffs is taken in to account for these fights.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Last night in Tam Tara, we had a White Mage that kept running ahead and pulling. The tank politely asked them to stop, and they just said "I got poo poo to do" and kept it up. Our summoner started casting Physick on the tank and we just let the WHM hold the group they got after that, and wouldn't work on helping them until everything else was dead. Sometimes you just gotta go with the group and not be impatient, drat it.

Proper course of action in dealing with severe assholes is to votekick them before the boss. Especially in low level things where you can just trio the fight if you don't want to wait for a 4th person unless you're with a bunch of new player. When doing LLDR and you get one of the first 3 instances you behave or you risk getting booted 15-20 minutes in to the run if you can't stop being an rear end to others.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sendo posted:

It's doing great and so far has been far exceeding Square Enix's expectations, we're close to a year since release and the subscriber count is still growing which is almost unheard of for a subscription MMO in the last 5 years that isn't WoW.

WoW hasn't had year over year growth for awhile and its sub count has dropped over the last few years. Maybe you're thinking of EVE Online?

SE mentioned that FF14 had over 2 million subs back in April or May I think? So yeah, a monthly fee game with ~2 million paying players is going to be doing pretty well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

They actually haven't given a subscriber count yet, aside from one mention that the initial after-free-month period saw the game retain more subscribers than FFXI ever had, which would put it north of 600,000. The 1.8 and 2 million figures are accounts that have actively played the game. So they've sold somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 1.5 million copies of the game (since 1.0 players got ARR for free), and it's probably more than that, and that figure likely went up enormously after this past week courtesy of Steam. Consistent sub numbers remain nebulous, although given the general activity in PBC and on Excal in general, they have to be relatively significant or the number of players in-game simply makes no sense.

Yes, they've given (rough) numbers of active subs, like here:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/14/dragon-quest-x-impressive-300000-daily-active-players-japan/

YoshiP posted:

“I’d like to start out by talking about the current number of players (accounts for Final Fantasy XIV), as we currently surpassed the mark of 1.8 million,”

Also:

quote:

“Hmm, daily actives are numbers that can easily be misunderstood… and the peak time between Japan and other countries are different,” responds Yoshida. “If we go by the amount of people who log in each day, it’s about 500,000 people worldwide. There are people who also log in at least once every two days, so if we were to include those, the the figure would be much higher.”

So of the 1.8 million active subs they had the time of that article, around half a million are logged in to daily (and other activity periods, which is standard info to watch in MMOs). I'm not sure where you're grabbing numbers from but they've been pretty clear about how many active subs they've hit. At the time of that article they were at 1.8 million accounts with active subscriptions, not 1.8 million boxes sold since (re)launch.

No idea how many copies of the game they've sold since 2.0 came out but considering they have upwards of 2 million active subs (unless the game tanked since March, which is doubtful) but FF14 is far, far more active right now than FF11 was. The daily active user count mentioned in that article was pushing close to FF11's total active subscription count.

e: Alternately, one could believe Yoshi (or a translator) isn't great with English and he's talking about total accounts, however when your DAU is half a million either you have an obscenely engaged playerbase or your sub count is much higher. relevant sub figures should come with any financial data they have to disclose though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Full patch notes are available now.

Both guilds still get a lot of new players, especially recently; I know the comparison seems a little :rolleye: sometimes, but I haven't see anything quite like it since vanilla Warcraft. You will have no trouble fitting in to either group (although DGKK is currently geared a little more toward helping our newer members while PBC is composed more of 1.0 and ARR launch veterans), especially if you're willing to learn and improve. To this day, either group will run "relic trains" for new 50s at the drop of a hat (I.E., help people finish their relic weapon quest).

There's only 1 rare CT2 chest? The gear drop restrictions don't affect it? Yay for 24 people rolling on it pretty much any time it drops. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If you can't make one at 1am try again at 7-8am (EST). I had to wait a day or two to make my character, it was annoying but easily worth it.

Just be glad it's just a temp lockout and not some massive issue like PSO2 has been having for the last couple weeks apparently.

• Locked thread