Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hipster werewolf posted:

If I'm going for Monk, are there any other critical cross-class skills I should pick up from unrelated classes?

Marauder 6 for Fracture: another DoT, and one which is fairly easy to add to your rotation and better than Touch of Death for trash. (For bosses use both.)

Lancer 22 for Invigorate: big TP restore, should keep you from 0-TP issues unless you're spamming Arm of the Destroyer, One Ilm Punch, and/or Rockbreaker.

Lancer 34 for Blood for Blood: really nice DPS cooldown, though it makes you squishier as well so exercise a bit of judgment in its use.

Everything else you can pick up from Marauder or Lancer is considerably more situational or harder to realistically work in, but those three are really solid choices for a Monk. What to do with the last two slots is up to you. For full-on DPS tunnel-vision, you could get some mileage out of Impulse Drive (lancer 8) and Mercy Stroke (marauder 26). That said, you might be better off with some of the defensive/survival cooldowns instead, like Keen Flurry (lancer 6), Foresight (marauder 2), or Bloodbath (marauder 8).

Not specific to Monk, my cross-class advice is:
- Thaumaturge 26 for White Mage, Scholar, and Summoner, because Swiftcast is awesome
- Lancer 34 for Monk and Bard, because Invigorate and Blood for Blood are awesome
- Gladiator 34 for Warrior, because Provoke is awesome and Awareness is pretty sweet too

Otherwise, get whatever you have to get to 15, to get your job, and get the other thing you can pull from to 12 (or 15, because something else will want it for some other job eventually). Most good cross-class abilities are gained by level 12; the above three are the exceptions with really attractive higher-level abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of MNK/PGL skills, we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick with utility. I find myself never using some of them, or using them in rare and mostly unimportant circumstances.

Arm of the Destroyer, Howling Fist, Perfect Balance, and One Ilm Punch are either not timely to use, don't see much use due to a lack of content built for it, or are generally underwhelming for a skill. I almost want to put Shoulder Tackle here too, but I have found some convenience with it in AK and for muscling out/muscling in on farmers.

One Ilm Punch really doesn't get any opportunities to shine, mostly because enemies either don't buff themselves in the first place, or their buffs are undispellable. (For example, if you could use it on the bravery buff for hydra, maybe that fight wouldn't be such a clusterfuck if the deeps can't handle wyverns properly.)

Howling Fist is off the GCD. Definitely pop it when AoEing (just line yourself up first), and it's got a low enough cooldown that you can just throw it in for free damage even if you don't need to benefit from its multi-target nature.

Arm of the Destroyer is good for claiming and FATEspam, but is woefully ineffective as a silence in the "I really want to silence this one particular ability on demand" regard, due to the stance requirement. It can be handy to throw in rotationally on caster adds/trash though, just for the "welp, I accidentally interrupted that" benefit for your healers.

Perfect Balance is good for starting bosses (NB: do not use in conjunction with undergeared tanks - giving them a chance to get and keep aggro is more important than tooting your own horn with maximizing DPS), but its long cooldown makes it impractical for a "get back up to speed after mechanics make your GL stacks fall off". It would be much more useful with a 1-2 minute cooldown.

On the subject of sleeps - around the time WHM/CNJ can sleep things at all, BLM/THM can AoE sleep things. Also, between WAR/MRD using Overpower, not to mention any more generic notion of people AoEing or attacking the wrong targets, actually getting mileage out of any sleep requires a certain amount of party coordination. Often if a healer does it, it's just a wasted cooldown on something that's immediately woken up again, and the time would've better been spent healing. (This need not apply in a group that can communicate, but for a pug, just assume the worst.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

xZAOx posted:

What kind of gear is required for Hardmode Garuda? 50 GC / Ifrit weapon, a few pieces of darklight?

I'm a healer, but just wondering in general what's expected to make the fight mostly-puggable. Also, any quick guides about the fight would be nice. I think us Midgard guys are getting close to it.

I'd say HM Garuda is at least 50% on the tanks, though your DPS wants to be up to snuff to kill plumes and adds fast enough. It's not a particularly difficult fight for healers so long as people execute mechanics correctly. (HM Titan is much more of a healer check, while the tank can kinda snooze through the whole thing.)

I'd spam Ifrit with your group until you've all got your weapons, if you can. You shouldn't really be tackling Garuda until you can safely go "psh, Ifrit's easy". I'd say a mix of WP/AK/Darklight gear would be fine for Garuda, though the more the better.

General guide:

1. First half, LoS her with pillars when she disappears (you'll learn her location pattern quickly enough), kill plumes when they spawn. Basically same as normal mode.

2. After big attack (she'll say something about reckoning), tank moves her to the northwest, and everyone else should follow. You should all be in this whirlwind-free section if you do it right, spread out by role (= healers/ranged stand back) as usual but stay in that section.

3. Shortly after that, she'll spawn two adds (these will politely come to you, no need to run into whirlwinds to grab them). Kill the green-line one first (which heals Garuda), then the red-line one. Which add name goes with which color line will vary. Main tank or a melee DPS can tank the green-line add (away from healers/ranged). Off tank grabs the red-line add and parks (and aims - these have Slipstream too) it somewhere that's both away from healers/ranged and away from main tank and melee DPS (who are killing green-line add), because the red-line add is super spammy with painful AoE.

4. After the adds, there'll be another plume phase, and the whirlwinds will start rotating clockwise around the arena. Move the group gradually clockwise with them, around to the south, and kill the Satin Plume. Ignore the other plumes and focus DPS on Garuda. (e: If the Satin Plume is not killed fast enough, it'll put everyone to sleep for a really long time, in a movement-centric fight.)

5. When Garuda blows up the other plumes, the group moves to the center for the eye of the storm. Staying on the outside will quickly get someone killed. Another set of adds will spawn - handle them in the same way (split them up, only off-tank near red-line add until green-line add is dead). Then another set of plumes (again, just kill Satin), and eye of the storm will end.

She does not do her directional charging attack in the eye of the storm that she does in normal.

6. Move Garuda back to northwest again and repeat the process from step 2, for as many cycles as it takes to kill her (in my experience, she usually dies shortly after the third set of adds). NW -> adds -> rotate clockwise to S while killing Satin Plume -> other plumes dying is cue to move to middle soon -> adds -> kill Satin Plume -> other plumes dying is cue to move to NW soon.

As far as limit goes, either healer limit for emergencies (though if you have to rely on that regularly, you're probably hosed anyway) or in a more experienced group, caster limit to drop a meteor on the third set of adds. If there's no caster, a melee limit on the green-line add is also acceptable.

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 17, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't seem like if I select Entry level I can buy anything other than 30 days, 90 and 180 disappear soon as I change from standard.

I don't need standard, but I want eyeball mount. I'm conflicted. :(

Entry: $12.99/month
Standard in blocks of 30 days: $14.99/month
Standard in blocks of 90 days: $13.99/month
Standard in blocks of 180 days: $12.99/month

If you're comfortable making the long-term commitment (and paying up-front), you can get standard's extra character slots and your veteran rewards for the same per-month price as entry. Entry is what you use if you want the low per-month price but aren't comfortable making the long-term commitment, which is why you can't pay for more than one month at a time with it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

Yeah, with one stack my fairy will basically handle it. But this tank was getting four stacks within the first 15% of the boss's life, every time. Unfortunately at that level Scholars do not have much of a healing tool kit, and nothing comparable to Esuna until 40. It's not normally a problem, but it was here.

Final boss of Brayflox is basically a tank competence check. Can they dodge poo poo and move the boss around appropriately? Congratulations, you're probably fine so long as the rest of the party is at least average. Do they just stand in one spot because they're used to grabbing the boss and standing still? Congratulations, please enjoy your increasing repair bill and subsequent re-queue when you run out of time or people bail.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

people say he's super useful for leveling alts, but really, my widdle chokeebow is a hindrance while FATE grinding. every other form makes great use of him though, especially leves

Chocobo would be useful if he didn't prevent you from both mounting and queueing. You could give the latter a pass if you're FATE grinding, but if you're loving about out in the world somewhere with your chocobo, unless you're killing mobs in the same local area over and over, you generally want to travel.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Nightwatcher posted:

I've hit level 18 and it seems like I have completely run outta quests, should I be doing Levmetes and FATES at this point to level?

1. Find wherever your story quests want you to be (consult your completed quest log to see where you left off, if you don't have a current story quest in your log), and continue with those. If you're up to date, you'll be doing poo poo in Eastern Thanalan around Camp Drybone at level 18. If you're not, you might be elsewhere.

2. Alongside the story quests will also be sidequests. Doing both story and sidequests, along with a single run of each dungeon and guildhest, should keep your level just fine for everything you encounter until the 40s, even if you never touch a single FATE or Battlecraft Leve. (That said, do any FATEs that are nearby and convenient.) Again, at level 18 the local sidequests will be in the same place as the story quests, namely Eastern Thanalan. There are also some slightly earlier ones (15-16) in the vicinity of Aleport over in Western La Noscea. Before that, it depends on your starting city.

Harettazetta posted:

So, my Paladin on Famfrit (The newest NA server) just hit 50, so I queued up for Castrum Meridianum. Holy poo poo do I ever hate that place.

Trash. Trash for miles. Weird paths that people who've been playing since launch have perfected.

Bosses with adds. Adds from everywhere. Forever.

It is my special hell.

Castrum Meridianum aside, as a fresh level 50, am I going to be able to handle tanking Praetorium in just the random dungeon + 45 job blues gear on my back, or do I need to gear up before I even consider trying? Because I'd like to finish this drat story quest so I can get my last rank in the GC and fill out my gear.

Long story short, CM is the most time efficient source of philosophy tomestones, and AK - notwithstanding instance-reservation queue time, but luckily you can do other stuff while waiting - is the most time efficient source of mythology tomestones and coughs up a nice pile of philosophy while it's at it.

There's an extreme enough difference between these and the alternatives that people are more or less only running these (though there'll still be some people running Praetorium or Wanderer's Palace). Hopefully in the not-too-long run, there'll be a lot more variety of evenly-balanced options so it'll be a case of "pick your flavor". But at the moment, expect to see far more CM and AK than you ever wanted, for endgame gearing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

As a Pugilist, do I want to replace "True Strike" with "Twin Snakes"? Or should I be alternating between the two during rotations?

Pro answer: alternate, though if you're mixing in other stuff then keep repeating Twin Snakes while you're mixing stuff in, so you don't let its buff drop off.

Realistic answer: just use Twin Snakes all the time in groups, provided you can consistently get to the flank so its damage isn't poo poo. (Corollary: use True Strike most of the time when solo, since you can't reliably get to the flank.)

Twin Snakes (from flank) is not much weaker than True Strike, its buff is super important for all your damage output (not just your other GCD attacks, but your off-GCD attacks, and your auto-attacks), and making that simplification is one less bit of confusion in an already-confusing rotation. Pro "do everything perfect" rotations only matter if you can actually consistently pull them off - a slightly less pro rotation that you can do reliably is a better choice.

If the Twin Snakes buff had a 15 or 18 second duration so it could be synched up better with Demolish, Dragon Kick, and Fracture, I'd probably be singing a different tune, but as it is, it kinda throws off the rhythm.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd be all over a hard mode - and justifiably rewarding, so people actually run it - Praetorium. That place was fun as hell and it makes me sad that it's way less efficient than the much more boring Castrum.

I'd also be all over a UI option to the tune of "automatically skip cutscenes if you've seen them already".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

It does make me want to level CNJ a little bit, just to see how hard it could really be, but wow I can't think of anything less appealing than casting Stone forever when solo.

The first 15 levels pretty much suck if you do them just by grinding or hunting log, which is why it can be handy to do them in a city where you still have remaining newbie quests to do (or better yet, start as a CNJ so you get story quests too).

After level 15 you can dungeonspam your heart out, or (even before level 15) you can FATEspam. And like every other class, you have the option of throwing Flash on your hotbar (with the minimal effort of taking GLD to 8 to unlock that) for easy gold in any of the common "kill a bunch of mobs" FATEs, since their contribution seems based off enmity generated. ("Kill one particularly strong mob" FATEs seem to play by different rules: I have a hard time getting gold in those except when in a party, at which point it's super trivial. And turn-in FATEs are, of course, based on turn-ins.)

Obviously you want to be somewhat cautious in your use so your squishy CNJ self doesn't get killed, but provided there are a ton of people around and things are dying super fast, the downside is basically negated. If you're in a party, you can accomplish the same (and, ya know, be slightly more useful) with Medica/Medica 2 spam provided it's hitting people who themselves have enmity.

Basically if you're levelling your CNJ solely by killing things, you're "doing it wrong". Get into dungeon parties. Get into FATE parties. Run around flashing stuff in FATEs solo. Get experience from quests (granted, this will involve killing things, so you'll be bored) if it's your first job.

This all changes when you get Holy, of course. After that point you're murder incarnate to groups of mobs. :black101:

P.S. Hello to other Balmung goons, I see you cropping up from time to time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tyberius posted:

I just recall it affecting me the most during the heart phase on TitanHM as a monk. He woukd spin around casting at random party members but I wouldn't need to move even if his heart is a good 10 yalms away. Early learning on the fight I would try to follow the heart which would put me out of range half the time.

That's more of a special case for Titan's Heart, really. As far as I can tell, its actual position is the same as the rest of Titan used to be, namely you just punch his legs or butt, positioned as if you were hitting his whole body, and you'll be in range of the heart no problem.

It's just that for whatever reason, the graphics make it seem like the heart target is further forward on his body than it actually is. You don't need or want to pile up near the tank when Titan's facing him, and you don't need or want to go running around to be in range again when Titan spins around to toss out a landslide.

My own monk derptitude on the "burn Titan's Heart phase" went down considerably once I realized I could/should do that and I didn't need to overthink or be even more gimmicky with positioning than Titan already demands.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I've gotten Leatherworker (Waste Not) and Alchemist (Tricks of the Trade :swoon:) to 15 so far, gonna finish currently-7-or-8 Weaver next. While Careful Synthesis will be pretty awesome, this is admittedly moreso because it bugs me not to have all the up-to-15 crafting gear since I'm levelling through that range over and over. (That and I'm stubbornly opposed to buying crafting gear when I'm going through a process that would let me drat well make my own as I go.) My order for the rest will probably be:

Culinarian (Hasty Touch)
Carpenter (Rumination)
Goldsmith (Manipulation; this would be a higher priority except I already have Waste Not)
Blacksmith (keeping up to date with my own tools moreso than its ability)
Armorer (uh, just for the hell of it really; it really doesn't synergize as well with the rest of the crafts...)

After that, I'm not sure yet between levelling everything in tandem or taking things to 50 one at a time. Will likely ignore gatherers for now until either they're patched to be less :suicide: or there's a mass ban of bots, because as it is I can just buy anything gather-able for dirt cheap.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

So is there any sort of overabundance of X role and underrepresentation of Z role right now? Just picked up the game and want to be useful but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Generally I gravitate towards ranged classes and DPS, but tanking or buffs could be fun too. Even healing, though I haven't done that role in an MMO before.

And I guess the same question for races, since I like to play underused stuff. Anything that nobody's playing as?

Above all else, be competent at what you do. This is more of a risk for DPS who can often slide by under the radar (and, furthermore, don't get as much grouping experience as they level because of job population and queue times). As a rule, if a tank or healer is kinda incompetent, it's really loving obvious really loving fast. If a DPS is kinda incompetent, they'll generally still get by until you're doing stuff like Titan or maybe Garuda.

Part of this is that many DPS equate "doing the highest possible DPS at all moments" to "the only thing I need to do to be competent". (The particularly lovely DPS, such as the BLMs discussed recently in this thread, don't even do that much.) Dealing with mechanics - including proper and well-timed use of your job-specific abilities like interrupts - is often more important, unless it's a particular situation that is blatantly already covered. (For example, in CM farming runs, DPS jobs with weak AoEs can blithely ignore many of the boss adds when it's been apparent for the whole run that those will die to Holyspam from the bored WHM.)

"Competence" also includes "social competence" - don't underestimate just how rare it is to be able to discuss a situation rationally, objectively determine where there are issues (including taking responsibility for one's own goofs), and work out a plan for how to fix things, all without being an antagonizing jackass. (It is really loving rare. I'd take someone with that sort of attitude even if they weren't too good at actually playing yet, just because they're precisely the sort of player who'd very easily learn and grow and improve from advice. Coincidentally enough though, they're usually already pretty good at playing - probably some correlation there with acknowledging and improving from their own mistakes, rather than having it Always Be Someone Else's Fault.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kessel posted:

This probably is a really stupid question, but - I finished the tutorial.

I'm trying to send a tell, but /tell keeps sending to the normal say channel, and when I click the chat tab to select Tell it just keeps reverting to Say. What am I doing wrong?

First off, though this probably isn't the issue, make sure you're finished enough with the tutorial that you see all the crowds of people around and the gilseller shouts. If you're standing around in town but nobody's there, keep following the quests a little bit longer, because you're still instanced and won't be able to talk with anyone.

/tell Firstnamewithcaps Lastnamewithcaps Give me all your gil please.

You can select a default chatmode for any chat channel, so you can just hit enter and start chatting in it by default. To do this, you just type the channel name alone as a command, e.g.

/fc
/p
/l1

However, for tells specifically, remember that a tell has to go to a specific individual, so if you want your tells (to that one person) to be default chatmode:

/tell Firstnamewithcaps Lastnamewithcaps

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

James Totes posted:

Here's the thing, I actually just went to North Than now and FATE partied for a bit. Instantly I noticed it wasn't that packed comparatively. Sure, it had a ton of people, but not the crippling 100+.

DD fate spawned. Counted my XP again. Mobs didn't die as fast, and I netted about 80k exp from the first part of the chain.

It seems to be just directly based on how many people are there, because if mobs die too fast you don't get the 20% requirement on most of them.

Boldfaced for emphasis. Let's take a hypothetical situation where everyone's in 8-player parties, every party's equally good at claiming, and every party's equally good at contributing damage. I've also heard the requirement is 30% rather than 20%, but I'm not an expert on that, so let's roll with 20% for this math.

1 party: They get 100% of the claims and thus 100% potential exp.
2 parties: Each gets 50% of the claims and does 50% (> 20%) damage to the things they don't claim, thus 100% potential exp.
3 parties: 33% of claims, 33% (> 20%) damage to rest, 100% potential exp.
4 parties: 25% of claims, 25% (> 20%) damage to rest, 100% potential exp.
5 parties: 20% of claims, 20% (= 20%) damage to rest, 100% potential exp since we'll be generous and assume everyone gets exactly enough to qualify.
6 parties: 17% of claims, 17% (< 20%) damage to rest, 17% potential exp.

What happened? The idea falls apart when there are so many people there that you can no longer safely assume that your party (and, not that you care, each other party also present) will contribute enough damage to get the "contributed enough damage, so you get exp" experience - after that point, it's really only about what you've claimed. You can stretch it out longer by deliberately not damaging things you've claimed (which means the damage percentage is only being divided among the parties that didn't get claim), but this is a temporary measure at best.

Now granted, this doesn't mean your party will never happen to contribute that much damage, but it becomes less of blithe "this will obviously happen" assumption (compared to, say, when it's only 2 parties) and more of a "this might sometimes happen, but don't count on it".

Furthermore, once you hit that breakpoint of "too many people", it just becomes more extreme from there as you continue adding parties. The "sometimes" getting enough contribution happens even less frequently, and there's that much more competition for claims in the first place.

I saw an extended and heated shout argument in South Shroud the other day about this, between the "it's awesome no matter what" camp and the "it sucks no matter what" camp, neither of whom is apparently capable of working out the math to get the accurate answer of "there isn't a blanket statement for no matter what in the first place, because it depends on how many people are there".

TL;DR: The method works fantastically so long as there aren't too goddamn many people there, aka off-peak hours. If there are too many people there, aka peak hours, it sucks for everyone. Unless your party is magically significantly better than average at either claiming or doing damage, in which case it doesn't suck as much for your party. (However, it sucks that much more for everyone else, and they'll get fed up and finish the FATE anyway since they're getting jack poo poo from mob farming.)

At 20% to get contribution, 40 people is the approximate breakpoint after which it takes a nosedive, give or take a bit depending on how many of them aren't in 8-player parties and how polite people are about not damaging things they've claimed.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Synergy in this game seems to work better with variety, in my experience. The reason bard stands out in my mind is that a second bard adds more utility to the group than, say, a second monk. But I'd still rather have four different deeps (or three different deeps where the doubled one is bard) rather than stack four bards.

Bards are awesome, sure, but not to the exclusion of all else. It's nice to get the other flavors of limits or the other flavors of utility that other jobs bring ("bards have more utility" != "bards are the only ones with utility at all").

I'd agree that of all the deeps jobs, bards are definitely the one where you don't have to worry about there being too many others already. That said, I don't think a hyperbolic example of "you could bring nothing but bards" is a good way of making that point, because the example introduces more arguments than it solves.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aerox posted:

I'm only in the mid-30s, but I almost never see any other Lancers, and the end-game dungeon chat in this thread never seems to mention them. Are they considered the worst DPS class?

They do good damage, but they're quite popular. I also get the secondhand vibe that they have a relatively straightforward and consistent rotation compared to the other DPS (buff, combo A, DoT, combo B, repeat - or something like that; I don't play one), which makes them easier to play.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

So after reading this thread for a bit, I'm definitely worried about my password. I've only been playing on Ps3 though and never on PC. Does that make it a little more safe? I think I definitely want to change it, but before I do, if I just use a malware scan that should let me know there's no keyloggers or any junk on my PC, right?

Also, I hear about the one time password thing, do I need all my account info to set that up? Because I have no clue what my secret question and answer is for my account and well, good luck talking to Square's online support because it's the worst loving thing ever. I only managed to get into the account because by some miracle I remembered my old password I set up years ago.

A little, yeah, but two-factor authentication is really the way to go. You go from "maybe they won't guess it" to "the only way they'll have any chance at all is if I gently caress up malware-wise so hardcore that a man-in-the-middle attack goes off and they actually do something about that in the minute before the authenticator changes".

If you have an iPhone or Android smartphone, you can get an authenticator instantly and for free on that. If you don't, you can get an authenticator nearly instantly by way of installing BlueStacks (basically an Android emulator) on your computer, then getting the authenticator on that. (Alternatively, you can order a physical keyfob in the mail and wait 6 weeks because Square Enix.)

Once you get one or another flavor of authenticator, all you need to do (I think) is log in to the account management system (well, the correct one anyway - they have like five of the drat things) and add it. You can probably google up a guide to where you go and what you click to do that. You should only need your username and password, and you need those anyway to login to the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Geomancing posted:

Well, I'm 47 now. Completed my main storyline up until the 49-required one, map complete except for some dungeons, hunting log done, company log 2 done. Is there really nothing for me to do for any kind of real experience except grinding Fates? Even the experience in dungeons, since I just unlocked the Aurum Vale, is very lackluster, with rested experience maybe getting a quarter to a third of a level. No quests of my level to do, far as I know. This seems ... off.

Yeah, the quest pacing slows down in the low 40s (maybe high 30s if you religiously avoid ever doing FATEs), and falls apart entirely in the high 40s. That said, there are still a handful of quests to do. Check in at the Waking Sands at 46, again at 47, and yet again at 48, and you'll get breadcrumb quests to some higher level parts of the world.

None of these will get you an entire level's worth of experience by themselves (or even anywhere close), but they'll get you something. (If nothing else, money and Allagan Gold Pieces.) It's that much less that you have to FATE grind anyway.

Besides that, while Aurum Vale is an option, Northern Thanalan FATEs are a better option. Especially that particular one where you just grind mobs instead of finish the FATE, if you're in a group and if there aren't too many people there. ~40 people give or take a bit, is the approximate cutoff for when there are too many people to expect to get experience by damaging mobs (no one group will generally get enough percentage of a given mob's HP), and it really just boils down to what your party claims, at which point it's hardly worthwhile.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

So, ever since level 30, story quests have only been filling my XP like halfway until I have to level up for the next quest. So far I've mostly just been doing story quests and the fates I run into on the way.

Assuming I'm not doing anything wrong with the quests only getting me 50% of the way, what should I be doing? Fate grinding? Leves (which I hear I'm supposed to save)? Side quests (which I also hear I'm supposed to save)? Repeating dungeon runs? I'm Lvl 36 now, and I haven't found a great fate grinding place either (read a guide that said Dragonhead but everything is super spread out and I can never reach fates before they're over :smith:)

Ignore guides/advice that say to save sidequests, guildhests, etc. for later jobs "to be more efficient about it". Setting aside the whole idea of "play how you like and don't pay attention to what other people say is more efficient", here's what's actually more efficient:

The priority here is to beeline your first combat job to 50, taking advantage of every last bit of non-repeatable experience you can get your grubby little hands on to speed up the process. (This effectively means "everything but some of the lowbie 1-15 quest chains". And the only reason those are excepted is because it's quick and easy to hit 15 just by doing story quests and the sidequests at the camps the story quests send you to.)

That way, you:
- get 50% bonus experience, notably including FATE rewards, for all your other combat jobs, without having to worry about outlevelling that (the bonus experience goes to every combat job lower level than your highest);
- can participate in endgameish things if they float your boat, letting you decide whether you want to spend time, on a given evening, at high levels doing endgame or at low levels levelling another job;
- unlock all the guildleve camps in case you get an itch for crafting or gathering;
- can farm farmable materials for yourself (barring crazy competition, hello Coerthas sheep) if you get an itch for a crafter that demands enemy farming (crafting materials buyable with endgame currency also fall under this logic).

This goes double for if you're really only interested in or want to focus on one combat job in the first place, and other jobs are more of a "yeah, maybe in a while, but not right now" sort of thing.

Basically there are a lot of benefits to having some combat job at high/max level, and they easily outweigh having a few extra non-repeatable experience options (which are probably slower than FATE grinding anyway) for a second job that you may not even be interested in to begin with.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SoUr posted:

As a tank that first timed Ifrit, twice with PUGs, not DPSing the ember was your fault. :saddowns:

There will be many places where your DPS will be necessary to beat the encounters, you need to be able to work on your positioning so that the frontal attacks aren't hitting everything. The best case of this I can think of is the last boss in Aurum Vale where you have to beat on the fruit before they turn into adds, if the tank doesn't help with this you will always have adds, and the boss does a bad breath that if it hits anyone will really mess them up.

The fruits you use for the stacking debuff in that fight also cure any other negative statuses, so someone can just munch one if they get bad breathed. Doesn't help if it's a frequent thing, given fruit respawn timers, but it's certainly a solution for accidental occasions.

As for the adds, they're goddamn trivial if the healer is a WHM (Holy goooooo, DPS can clean up afterwards), very manageable so long as the DPS aren't both either MNK or SMN (the other three flavors each get nice bursty spammable radial AoEs), and even if the party is the worst possible setup of SCH + MNK/SMN + MNK/SMN, you can still single-target down some of the adds before they sprout, then single-target down the rest after they sprout (they don't take that much longer to die after sprouting) and then run off to a fruit to clear the extra debuff stacks. (That said, of course, in that last case, having the tank add DPS to the adds helps too.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SERPUS posted:

How vital is crafting for endgame gear? I'm thinking along the lines of a melee dps or possible tank.

Right now, the best crafted gear (if HQ'd and thoroughly melded) is wicked expensive, not as good as the really good stuff, and very very marginally better than the really accessible (and zero gil cost outside of gradual repairs) Darklight gear. A particular piece of crafted gear is required for each relic, but you can get that from someone else.

If you want to craft for the fun of crafting, then craft for the fun of crafting. (It is basically a fun minigame in its own right.) Don't, however, feel obligated to craft for the sake of staying current on your gear.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Both the healer and the tank will typically be annoyed by DPS going off and pulling. If it's clear to both of them that the other isn't going to try to save the DPS, it's usually quite easy to arrange things such that the DPS's antics lead to their death.

That said, while "let the bad DPS die" is karma, "drop party and bail on the other DPS and the healer, both of whom have done nothing wrong" is douchey. Don't be douchey.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So there's no more dungeons between Aurum Vale and 50, right? Just fates, since I seem to be out of quest lines from Waking Sands as of mid 47 (I'm 48 now)?

Another batch of quests opened up from Waking Sands when you dinged 48, but yeah, you'll be grinding FATEs to 49 (and again after you finish the 49 story quests, to get to 50) regardless.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chucat posted:

Aggro from mobs doesn't equal responsibility for leading a group.

You're several years too late to redefine the general population expectation here. You're welcome to redefine it in a particular group of people you know, of course.

E: This general principle ("could work fine for a fixed/guild/friend group, but it'll go against expectations for randoms and the likely social drama wouldn't be worth whatever benefit there is") could honestly be applied to many of the points you've raised in this recent discussion.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

sound_again posted:

All of this talk about communication brings up my special snowflake problem, which is that I type slow as poo poo.

I often have helpful things to say or I need to ask a question but I just don't because it takes me 30 seconds and the tank's already pulled the next pack.

I guess I need to do Mario Teaches Typing before I get to endgame content. :shrug:

Decently fast typing speed is a super useful skill in general, gaming be damned, so it wouldn't hurt to work on that. That said, for endgame, there's also the option of voice chat.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

A lot of that dragoon stuff could be summarized by making it into a 1-2-3 priority list (nice thing about DRG DoTs, as an aside, is that they all do good up-front damage too):

1. Buff + DoT "combo": Heavy Thrust -> Fracture -> Phlebotomize
2. Debuff + DoT combo: Impulse Drive -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust
3. Direct-damage combo: True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust
4. Work in off-GCD abilities where sensible (this is hand-waving a lot).

For monks, each of our stances has its own priority list within the bigger priority list:

1. Obtain/maintain Greased Lightning by 1-2-3 comboing; only use other GCD moves if Greased Lightning timer is safe.
2. If enemy will live long enough, maintain Touch of Death (30 sec). (Trivial up-front damage, DoT has to play out to justify its use.)
3. Maintain Fracture (18 sec). (Up-front damage is decent enough that even a few DoT ticks justify it.)
4. Work in off-GCD abilities where sensible (this is also hand-waving a lot).

Combo 1 (fresh pull, no stance buff):

1. Dragon Kick (flank) if flank accessible.
2. Bootshine otherwise.

Combo 1 (when comboing):

1. Dragon Kick (pref. flank) to maintain debuff (15 sec, can be refreshed by other monks).
2. Dragon Kick (flank) if flank accessible and either a. rear inaccessible or b. Internal Release is active.
3. Bootshine (pref. rear) otherwise.

Combo 2:

1. One Ilm Punch if enemy has a buff both dispellable and dispel-worthy. (This tends not to actually happen in practice.)
2. Twin Snakes (pref. flank) to maintain buff (12 sec).
3. True Strike (pref. rear) otherwise.

Combo 3:

1. Snap Punch (pref. flank) if Internal Release is active.
2. Demolish to maintain DoT (18 sec) if enemy will live long enough (no up-front damage at all).
3. Snap Punch (pref. flank) otherwise.

All of the above is assuming single-target for both jobs.

On Impulse Drive as a monk:

In theory, you could set it and work it into the overall priority list. Both Fracture (100 + 20*6 = 220 total potency of which 100 can crit) and Touch of Death (20 + 25*10 = 270 total potency of which 20 can crit) are more total potency than Impulse Drive (180 from rear, all of which can crit), so you'd favor the DoTs over it for anything with a lot of health left but might favor it over DoTs under Internal Release or for nearly dead enemies.

In practice, though, the game doesn't really have Patchwerk fights, and half the time as a monk you're doing your standard combos just to get your Greased Lightning going again, grumbling resentfully all the while at the DPS jobs that are faster at going 0-60. Working in other stuff is a luxury only once you're happily comboing at GL3, and the only reason you'd use DoTs before GL3 is because they're DoTs and benefit from being used sooner rather than later. (I haven't actually done the math out to figure out whether it's better to beeline GL3, then apply DoTs, or apply DoTs early even though they get less GL damage boost and delay getting GL3.)

So in the real world, while you could optimize things a bit by working in Impulse Drive once you're happily comboing a single stationary target (with no positional woes) at GL3, it's rare that you'll actually meet all the little tick-marks for "Impulse Drive is worth using". Particularly considering that maintaining your buffs, debuffs, and DoTs is a bigger DPS increase than using a 180 potency ability instead of a 130 potency autocrit (basically 195 potency), a 140 or 150 potency ability depending on which combo 2 you're on, or a different 180 potency ability. Personally, I'd rather have my last two cross-class buttons (after the obvious Fracture, Invigorate, and Blood for Blood) go to defensive oh-poo poo abilities.

TL;DR: It's a lot of situational-ness and a lot of PITA factor for what would at best be a pretty marginal improvement compared to the alternatives. Now if we could cross-class some 300 potency ability to work in, I might be singing a different tune.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 1, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Francis posted:

edit: Defensive oh-poo poo abilities? Bloodbath and Keen Flurry are both pretty awful. The question is whether it's worth the time practicing and mastering the rotation for the minor, situational DPS increase, not whether you can fit it into your build.

Fair enough, they are both pretty awful. That said, apparently you agree that the increase is both minor and situational, and also that it's a more-than-minor increase to the PITA factor. Remember that a human is not a computer, and a 98% optimal rotation that can be pulled off 100% of the time is better than a 100% optimal rotation that makes things confusing enough that it's only pulled off, say, 90% of the time. Especially since in monk's case, the cost of a timing blunder could very well be GL3 falling off, and at that point you've easily lost whatever benefits you might have gained.

If you like doing it and are practiced enough to do it consistently and blunder-free (while still being able to focus on the general flow of combat and things to react to, rather than tunnel-visioning your complex rotation), more power to you. I'm a terrible horrible bad player, and as far as I'm concerned, the reward doesn't justify either the risk of lost GL3 or the general PITA factor.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

*clears throat*

Aurum Vale.

Aurum Vale at least drops a cuddly wuddly mawbowo pet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As a general rule, if you're hoping to get something by greed rolling when (for valid or invalid reason) you can't need, you mention this in advance, rather than raging after the fact when the people you pugged with didn't read your mind.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hub Dirt posted:

I need some advice or feedback on tanking Titan normal. On what was the only target, I kept losing aggro to the healer as a paladin. Obviously, I used the only aggro rotation available in Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone and opened the fight with Shield Lob > Flash. I used Provoke when the boss pulled toward the healer, but it has a long cool down.
The healer rode my rear end on the aggro bars for the entire fight and we wiped a couple times before everyone quit. I've watched some videos of the battle and it seems like there's not much else I can do. Any suggestions?

One of two situations here:

1. The healer is massively overhealing, either unaware of or apathetic to the fact that HoTs, overheals, and HoTs that overheal are all full aggro and they don't just get aggro from direct healing that actually heals something. This is a healer problem, particularly if they're coming from FF11 (where placing a HoT on someone is a (very minor) bit of aggro, but the HoT's actual healing is aggro-free).

2. People were taking way the gently caress too much avoidable damage, so the healer actually needed to heal that much. Landslide and (second half) weight of the land are both completely avoidable. This is a "whoever was not moving out of poo poo needs to move out of poo poo" problem.

I'm leaning on explanation #1 without more information, since it's a pretty common issue even up through HM primals.

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 2, 2013

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Join or form a FATE party, the game factors everybody's contributions into the FATE ranking so even if you hit maybe one or two mobs, you'll get a good ranking if one or two other people hit more mobs.

As a general rule, the "gazillion mobs" FATEs - that is, most of them - are based on total enmity generated (protip: Flash until 30, and Flash after 30 if you're a PLD, WAR, or only planning to take your job to 34 for a cross-class skill), the "item turn-in" FATEs are of course based on doing just that, and the "one big strong mob" FATEs are ...

... actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure what that sort of FATE does for contribution scoring. I feel being in a party helps a lot, but you can't just sit around in a party doing nothing and get credit, so there's an individual component too. Also, spamming enmity generation doesn't seem to help, so it could be based on damage/healing done instead. That said, all of this is anecdotal on my part and not super thoroughly tested, so...

If there's an authoritative guide on the subject, it would be handy to know in case the game is ever optimized for a shitload of players in one place, such that Behemoth and Odin become feasible to do in spite of the crowds.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Downtime posted:

For Steady Hand priority:
Hasty Touch: 50% chance without, 90% chance with
Byregot's: 90% chance without, 100% chance with

Does Steady Hand 2 give +40% instead of the listed +30%, or was that a typo?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Can you beat Titan in AF? Absolutely. Does it make it easier? Nope. Do you have to do Titan/get relic before upgrading your armor? Nope. Will it give people a good impression that you're willing to put in the effort to prepare yourself for harder content? Nope. (Not to say that "no gear upgrades at all" is logically equivalent to "hasn't got ilvl 70 in every slot". But point is, there's merit in upgrading your gear when you get stuck rather than just bashing your head over and over. It does in fact gradually help.)

The Mor Dhona shouts may take good ideas to hyperbolic and unreasonable extremes in their requirements (looking for relic +1 DPS and healers to beat Titan to get relic!), but at the seed of those requirements the underlying ideas do still make logical sense.

Also personally, I'd rather just give my honest "Titan was a major pain when I did it, to the point that it's put me off doing it again unless it's with people I know" explanation, rather than try to (further) justify that with blanket judgments of player quality (based on anecdotal evidence) among those who are still trying to beat it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kweh posted:

Oh dear somehow the North Korean government got my account info and I have been turned into a gold-spammer. Unique ID and password, number, string of alpha characters, symbol, number and they still got it... Now I get to deal with SE CS!

That sucks to deal with, and you have my sympathy. That said, pretty much every goon ever could (rightly) point out the merits of authenticators, which are a notable omission from your list. Also free and immediate on a smartphone. Bluestacks counts as a smartphone, so it's also free (and almost as immediate) on a PC if you don't have an actual smartphone.

Also, if your ID/PW really are both as unique and as strong as you describe, the likeliest explanation for "how" is that there's some sort of malware on your computer. Start snooping into that while you wait on hold for SE, and get adblock, noscript, and at least one good "catch malware in the act" - as opposed to "scan once a week, and that's if you don't cancel it because the scan bogs you down horribly" - antivirus/antimalware program.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Almost all sidequests open up as a result of progressing story quests, including story quests that require doing dungeons.

Definitely don't skip story quests. You may want to consider skipping sidequests, particularly if you outlevel them, but it's not really that good an idea: your level advantage won't last forever, and the sidequests will be better experience if you do them when you're close(ish) to their level rather than going back and doing them when your level advantage finally conks out in the 40s.

Skipped sidequests are a drop in the bucket for a second job, to the point where it's not really worth going out of your way to track down whether or not you skipped some sidequests at a given level range, and if so, where they were. So if they're not giving a benefit to your first job they're arguably not really giving much benefit at all.

(Exception: sidequests below level 15, since there are so drat many of them that you don't need them - hell, you don't even need both zones of them for your starting city, one of the two zones is enough - for your first job, and they do help with getting over that initial hurdle for your later jobs.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Smornstein posted:

So my Pugilist is level 10 now and i can join other guilds but when should i start on Lancer so i can get the Monk job?

After you learn that the first-person pronoun is more deserving of capitalization than job names are. :colbert:

Serious answer is that you have a few options:

1. Level 10 when you literally unlock the option to change classes.
2. Level 15 when it's safe, quick, and easy (as opposed to a long run through high level zones) to get to Gridania and its lancers' guild.
3. Level 20 when you join a Grand Company, since any FATE grinding you do to level second (or third, or fourth, or eighth...) classes will reward you with seals - a kind of currency - in addition to experience and gil, rather than just experience and gil.
4. Level 30 because that's the soonest you actually need to do it.

That said, there are some merits to levelling other classes for cross-class abilities sooner rather than later, even besides the "get a specific other thing to level 15 for your job" motivation.

As a class but not a job (that is, as pugilist but not as monk) you can basically cross-class everything (a few things are mage-only and a few others are everything-but-mage), while as a job you're much more limited in what you can pull from (monk can pull from lancer and marauder). So the stuff you'll still be using as a job is definitely a higher long-term priority, but it can be worthwhile to level some stuff even just for temporary cross-classing before 30.

A few examples of low level cross-class things that might interest you (of these, the marauder and lancer ones are still usable as a monk):
Conjurer 8: Protect
Gladiator 8: Flash (for FATE contribution credit)
Archer 4: Raging Strikes
Marauder 6: Fracture
Lancer 8: Impulse Drive (do not use this so frequently that greased lightning drops off)

Plus a selection of various defensive utility abilities, like an on-demand slow that doesn't require you to dodge first, a parry buff, a defense buff, healing for part of the damage you deal, etc.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the tangential subject of "how could you wipe to Psycheflayer?" while it could be merely undergeared DPS, having a badly played tank compounds this. Some anecdotal examples, courtesy of a healer friend of mine who had the joy of experiencing all three of these in a single run last night:

- If DPS aren't good enough to take down the adds quickly, the tank should pick them up. (Ideally the tank should at least try to pick them up anyway, though I'll grant it's kinda pointless with good DPS that explode the adds fast.)

- Obliterate add should be stunned, the other add should be either stunned or red-box-dodged. DPS may or may not be jobs that have stuns. Tanks always have stuns.

- Psycheflayer's void thunder hurts like hell. If tank stands in front of it (I want to say it can be avoided by running behind the boss?) and can't be bothered to interrupt, that's a lot of unnecessary tank damage.

All three of these factors are all squarely a matter of tank competence - gear doesn't factor into this. (In fact, in this anecdote, the tank in question was actually in a solid mix of Darklight and AK gear.) And, yes, DPS being more geared would have let them carry the badly played tank by blowing things up faster before it became an issue (particularly minimizing the impact of the first point), but still.

TL;DR: Like the "stands in Ifrit charges" concern, this can also be explained by "bad players are bad". It's just the tank is absolutely capable of being problematically bad too.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Can I just share my unrelenting hatred for everything related to the Dark Devices FATE chain? The fact that everyone bolts off to do it the second it pops up, the fact it takes forever and you get next to nothing if you're not a BLM or in party with one (which I can't be, because thank you Duty Finder), the fact people are insufferable pricks about it, the fact that no other FATES get done while it's going on... I'm genuinely tempted to just murder all the lambs as fast as I can out of sheer spite.

Basically once the local population reaches a certain critical mass (around 40 people, which is pretty trivial to hit), no one party - let alone anyone solo - can reasonably expect to do enough damage to a given enemy to get experience for "contribution" (it'll happen occasionally, but nowhere near consistently), so it just comes down to claiming after that and the experience for everyone takes a nosedive thanks to the high population.

Similarly, if you can't claim, there really is no motivation to wait it out to let others get their experience, and there become a lot more people with the motivation to just let it finish (so they can get the experience from that FATE and its follow-ups, not to mention any other FATEs in the area since they're kinda slow/hard to beat if everyone's off farming DD) than there are with the motivation to stick it out.

Personally I wouldn't begrudge anyone from murdering the lambs out of spite, even if I did happen to be in a party that was successfully claiming at an appreciable rate (and I certainly wouldn't object if I weren't in such a party). Any lost experience would be well worth getting to eat popcorn and enjoy the nerdrage.

There are, of course, people who would blist you for ending DD early. You may, however, wish to consider whether it's such a tragedy to be blisted by such a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Would you believe that someone blisted me for finishing a Quarrymill FATE? They wanted to try DD-style exp grinding off infinite mobs there. It's unbelievable.

So, yeah, totally going to murder the lambs. If I get any good rage I'll post it, I guess.

Yes, I would - I've seen quite enough Quarrymill shout arguments to believe that. Although the last time I was there they were arguing about politics rather than FATEs.

• Locked thread