Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If you're fishing you're not playing the same game as us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

jsr v2.0 posted:

Has anyone had wildly varying spell timers on BLM?

Sometimes when I'm casting Fire3 it's full length, but sometimes after repeated casts it will go down to like 1.3 seconds. Same thing with Blizzard3. I'm not sure why though. Ideas?

Astral Fire 3 reduces Ice spell cast time by half, same with Umbral Ice 3.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Dungeons don't give mapping XP.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Smart Car posted:

There's a minimum somewhere between 200-300 MP that you need to be able to cast Flare. It's really mostly worth using with a Swiftcast if you have Convert up since Convert should leave you with enough MP to do another Fire I and a Blizzard III.

To be exact, the minimum is 270 MP.

orcane posted:

Except for the fact you'll run out of TP very fast.

You shouldn't have to flash/overpower packs all the time though. Mark something and use overpower and flash to establish initial aggro so healers don't pull off you, do your +threat moves on the primary target. Don't forget to keep Maim up, BTW. If you lose aggro to a healer he's either spamming medica or your damage and threat output is completely off. What does your gear look like?

If you're level 50 don't listen to this person or the next time I group with you I'll be the offtank on trash pulls.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sword oath is a nice damage boost but the real deal is Shield Oath at 40 and Hallowed Ground at 50 plus the stat boost you get just from equipping the soul. There are very few cases where you do not want a soul equipped at all.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

AshtonDragon posted:

So I'm starting to see some Allagan gear from Coil, and I'm realizing that some if it is actually better than the gear you can get from mythology tomes.

It's usually pretty close, but I recommend that people look up whether or not the Allagan gear is better in a certain spot before spending their mythology. I apparently got lucky, and the one thing that I've bought, Cleric's Circlet, is vastly better than the alternative.

Secondary stats are utter garbage in this game anyway so don't fret too much (unless the math is different for DoM, but last time I checked DoW physical weaponskill damage scales waaaaaaaaaay less with Det than Mainstat)

Wildeyes posted:

Speaking of Bard, what's the deal with Foe Requiem? Whose idea was it to give us a song that automatically aggroes everything in range?

"Hey, I'll put Foe's Req-" "WHAT THE gently caress IT PULLED ADS WHY"

Aside from that, Please Use Foe's Requiem. 10/20% elemental resistance decrease owns if you're a BLM. Owns owns owns.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Saint Isz posted:

Surecast will help you land another Sleep of decent length after the mob is immune. Haven't timed it but it is more than three seconds for sure.

Surecast doesn't affect that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

xZAOx posted:

"Technically" all the Allagan gear should be "better". Looking at WHM sets, it seems that while I prefer the stat selection on Darklight on some (aka, no spell speed), the counts are a lot higher on Allagan (like boots) - so I guess you end up upgrading anyways, for the raw vit / mind.

They're both ilvl90 and have the same int/vit, so for all intents and purposes they are equivalent and intended to be so.

FoolishLobster posted:

Tip for BLM in Ifrit fight:

When Ifrit sets up for his dash attack, Transpose to Ice because your stack will run out anyways. Then right after his last dash, Swiftcast the beginning of your rotation. Swiftcast will ALWAYS be up for the dash phase, if you only use it right after his dashes.

Yes do this.

quote:

Also I've been starting my rotation with Blizz 3 > Thunder 2 > Fire 3 because I'll be at full or almost full mana for my fire spam (depending is Ice 3 ticks at the right moment). I keep forgetting to pay attention, but this will yield another one or two Fire 1 in the beginning of your rotation, right?
No don't do this. The whole point of opening with Thunder 2 is (for me, anyway) to give the tank a bit of a head start. If you put a 500 hit in right away it'll kind of ruin the whole thing.

quote:

And another tip for BLM at 50:

If your mana is > 1100, cast Fire 1, THEN Blizz 3 to regen. Once you're under 1100, go for Blizz 3. There will be points, depending on your gear, where you will end up with 1077 mana or something and you think "Oh I can cast another Fire 1". Don't, go right to Blizz 3 or you'll be waiting for mana and not casting your Thunder 2 immediately after Blizz 3.

Don't ever sacrifice a Fire in place of a Thunder. As long you have over 79 MP you're fine. I mean, yeah, ideally you want 398 mana (btw use a falldown macro -- /ac "Thunder II" <newline> /ac "Thunder" so you aren't unable to cast a Thunder if you have between 398-291 mana) but it isn't worth losing out on a Fire and potential Firestarter proc ever.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Iron Tusk posted:

Warriors have a stun that has a long cooldown and animation, but in turn it's off GCD. You should have had the WAR MT, and you as the stun guy. If it's 2 WARs all they have to do is let the other one know some way so they trade back and forth. Eruptions are slwo enough that 2 WAR's can easily handle them all. And if they both mess up the rotation you can have a Monk stand in for a cycle.

Fixed.

e: and fixed myself

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ugh, yeah, noticed it after I posted. I blame PLD confusing me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SoulChicken posted:

No reason to ever use Thunder 2 instead of Thunder 3, check out our BLM thread on ffgoons to see why. http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27085

Also there you will find out why KaneTW is wrong.

I've read that thread and I still prefer using Thunder 2 for most fights simply because I don't have to cast it for ages and I still tick to full MP with Thunder 2. Besides, I end most fire phases with insufficent MP to cast a Thunder 3.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

victrix posted:

People whining in anything before Coil Turn 5 can suck a fat cock and gently caress right off

More like that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know how often this has been said but unless you're doing bleeding edge progression while undergeared (i.e. Coil Turn 5 which is tuned for full ilvl 90 gear) WAR work just fine.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it doesn't make it a lot more difficult than it should.

But it doesn't! We got to Turn 4 with a PLD and WAR really easily. There hasn't even been a situation where having a PLD instead of WAR would have saved us.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

victrix posted:

Do NOT use Legacy movement if you are a tank. It turns your back and disables dodge/parry/block.

That sounds highly doubtful considering you have to face a target to attack it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The Chairman posted:

Tonight, someone from another FC got on the "Excalibur Leaders" linkshell and publicly accused PBC of having a member who would impersonate Justin Bieber in-game and trick people into doing "sexual things" with them. I don't even loving know.

Why is there an 'Excalibur Leaders' LS in the first place

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Cabbit posted:

There's this, and there's also the fact that the tail sticking out the back is starting to bug me the same way my troll's tusks clipping through his armor would in Warcraft.

How else would you handle it though? Having your tail inside your armor or in some kind of sheath would be uncomfortable as all hell.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mining/botany/guildleves/quests

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

Turns out goons need to step up; I just queued for Duty Finder for shits 'n giggles killed Titan hard with the most amazing group. Note that I already had my relic+1

I was running Ra'el through Titan with the pubs I pugged Titan with and it took like, 5 minutes?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, true. It's still impressive how much better and faster an organized group is (compared to goon organized groups).

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If you're on Excalibur, hit me up (Esthi Krieg) when I'm online and I'll try to run you through when there's a run happening with said group.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

From the DPS? Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cv0QCgB69ZE

never mind all the other encounters such as primals, AK, etc.

Tanks remain mostly rather mindless (position the mob, don't die, swap at x stacks, etc) from wahat I remember.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Killsion posted:

It is gating tanks so hardcore it is absurd when combined with the (abysmal) rate of success groups actually have.

It is gating everyone. Titan is meant to be a barrier to prevent people from running out of content. There's literally nothing left for me to do on my 50 job except progress Coil.

Anyway, if your group has beat Titan before, getting your 2nd tank through Titan is very easy.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

AlmightyBob posted:

Oh cool did they disable queues? I'm just getting "This world is full"

The servers are getting hammered. Please be patient.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

My main gripe with BLM is that the Firestarter procs happen on-hit and not on-cast, and that Thundercloud and Firestarter do not make the relevant skills off the GCD.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I agree with both of these things. The most optimal approach right now is a suboptimal one where you cast Fire I and then start casting a second one without waiting to see if the first one procs. Then if you see a proc during the cast, you just pop the proc after the second cast finishes. It gives up a second shot at the proc, but the alternative is waiting between every cast to see if Firestarter hits, or just being psychic and knowing which ones will proc and which ones won't.

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Considering the Fire I usually needs ~1-1.5s to hit and potentically proc a Firestarter, cancelling the cast for Fire III is pretty much a DPS loss -- Fire 1 (proc) + Fire 1 + Fire 3 is 520 potency over 7.5s (not counting spell speed) as opposed to 370 potency over 6s. And the chance that you can overwrite a Fire 3 proc is just 16%, so definitely not worth cancelling a cast over if you consider the potency per second.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

If Firestarter procs (or not) at impact, couldn't the result possibly be something like this, assuming you see the proc in time?

Cast Fire I 1->Fling Fire I 1->Cast Fire I 2->Fire I 1 impact->Firestarter Proc 1->Fling Fire I 2->Instant Fire III 1->Fire I 2 impact->Firestarter Proc 2->Instant Fire III 2

Maybe I'm just confused but I'm not really seeing where the loss is, assuming you're on the ball enough to see the proc while casting the second Fire I but before you start casting the next spell in line. I don't see where a second proc is "given up".

I'll take a look at it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I've had procs been overwritten before. Just need to find out what the chain of events was -- it's a bit late and my head isn't really working right now.

jwang posted:

So, question to the guys already in Coil already. How necessary is Relic +1? Can I get with just regular relic for the time being or would I be something awful for running around with non-glowing relics?
Coil is tuned for Darklight+Relic for Turn 1 and 2, Relic+1/AF+1/Darklight for Turn 4, Relic+1/AF+1 for Turn 5. It's perfectly fine to do it with a non glowing weapon.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Rift has builtin item sorting and search but it's much more comfortable to use an addon for it.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know why people enjoy repeatable leves so much. Never liked them and I can wait a day for more allowances.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

cathead posted:

Uh.. you realize it's not making you 'super good' at anything? 30 points is like, a piece of gear's worth of stats. It's not going to make an appreciable difference on anything besides extreme endgame where you need to squeeze out the most damage/healing you can.

30 points of mainstat is a shitload: http://valk.dancing-mad.com/?page_id=202

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: It's a shame nobody seems to have the version that plays in the Return of the King FATE. That was a really great version of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSF3CUNIXc

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Theres something wrong with the sound balance on all of those tracks. Find other FFXIV music on youtube and you will know what I mean. Its definitely missing its base, could just be a low quality rip.

:iiam:

It's a low quality rip. The actual music sounds way better but I can't find it anywhere and there's probably a reason why all the OST rips are terrible.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ruder posted:

If Squeenix would sell a digital soundtrack (with ALL the tracks available, too many game OST's half-rear end this), I'd gladly drop $20 or something on it. This game has insanely good music, and I'd kill to be able to create my own playlists to have while playing, or listen to in other games, or whatever. Coerthas music in particular is rad as hell, I love just chilling in that zone sometimes.

It does sell the 1.0 OST - http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.29853700/productID.283192900#.Ui5o5D_G5vi

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

blat blat blat posted:

A couple of q's: Is there a way to import character settings (ui, targetting settings, etc) from one character to another on PS3? And also, I made a gladiator last night, and it said something somewhere about how some gladiators use a shield and others focus on damage and don't...is there some kind of mechanic that increases damage when not using a shield or is this just some flavor text poo poo?

Spoilers for the uncoming DRK job.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

jsr v2.0 posted:

Honestly any job given to THM will probably be better than BLM. Those class skills are pretty godawful and only very situationally useful. All of your cool poo poo still comes from THM.

Convert
Manawall
Flare
are worth the job.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

jsr v2.0 posted:

I may be wrong, but here are my impressions:
Convert is useful when you gently caress up your rotation.
I've never found a good time to use Flare.
Manawall is useful, I'll give you that.

Are you talking doing "Quickcast > Flare > Convert > Blizzard3" on cooldown when low on mana? Does that actually do enough DPS to really make it worthwhile? I usually save my Quickcast for Fire3 when I don't have a Firestarter proc to immediately get back to Umbtal Fire 3 after a Blizzard3/Thunder3.

Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Fire 3 > Blizzard 3 is a huge amount of DPS, esp. if used with Raging Strikes. Always consume Firestarter procs before an ice phase. Never ever Swiftcast a Umbral Ice 3 Fire3 since it has 50% reduced cast time.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Go to Northern Thanalan. It's the best zone for FATEs ever.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

I'd go as far as saying that 4 bard is the ideal DPS composition in an 8 man group. They're great and the more of them you have the better. They do good damage, have the best utility, and have one of two viable interrupts, the other one is on paladin so you don't compete with them anyway.

Are you ever going to stop jerking off about bards? They're mediocre DPS, probably the lowest DPS out of all DPS classes. 4 Bards is probably the worst composition ever for anything since you don't get any actual DPS increasing debuffs like Disembowel, and the debuffs that Bards have are (surprise) only useful for BLM!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Let's do some target dummy theorycraft
I don't do dummy parses; these are all Coil parses.

quote:

and discount the value of lacking any cast times
if your casters are any good that has almost no effect

quote:

and not being melee meaning you have 0 interruptions to your damage ever.
Hahahahahah.

quote:

Yeah the only dps class in the game with any tangible utility sure sucks. They're the most easily stackable dps class regardless of whether you think 4 would work or not because having 2 mage's ballads and 2 interrupts is very good

Having one or two bard is ok. Having 4 is a ridiculously bad composition. Please tell me where exactly in coil do you need more than 2 interrupts (1 PLD + 1 BRD). Also, if you seriously even have any usage of two Mage's Ballad either your healer are overhealing like crazy or everyone is standing in poo poo.

quote:

and the question being asked was "If I make a bard will I not get any groups because everyone already has a bard?"
Maybe, but that wasn't the question I replied to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

In our coil group we have a BRD+DRG (DRG applies piercing debuff so that mob takes more damage) and 2 BLM. On Coil Turn 4 the Soldiers (mobs killed by the mages) usually die slightly before the Knights (mobs killed by BRD/DRG). So BLM do have a fair bit more DPS than a BRD+DRG, considering they had a piercing damage debuff on the mob but we didn't have Foe Requiem or anything similar.

Parses are fairly useless because the combat log in FFXIV is really broken. Usually parsing around 290 DPS in Coil Turn 4 over the whole fight and 250 on a dummy but yeah, the parser is not to be trusted.

e: smn parses are most definitely broken

• Locked thread