Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

It was for freedom
From myself and from the land

I was re-reading Prophet earlier today and realized that we don't have a Prophet thread so here's one. For the benefit of everyone I'm going to keep spoilers to a minimum.

PROPHET

Prophet by Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, Farel Dalrymple, Giannis Milonogiannis and Richard Ballermann is an ongoing sci-fi book from Image comics. To get things out of the way yes Prophet is a relaunch of an "EXTREME" Liefeld 90s book but for all intents and purposes is a fresh reboot. Taking just the name the book has John Prophet awaken 10,000 years in the future with one mission, survive the wasteland long enough to make it to a satellite hovering above Earth and uncover it's secrets.

On it's own Prophet is an interesting and refreshing book. As far as creating an interesting alive world Graham is currently as good as they come and Simon Roy's art compliments in a way that is manages to be suitably gross but never really repulsive. It's a world that really feels lived in and as dangerous as it's exotic inhabitants make it seem. It's the Capital Wasteland, just thousands of years further in the future.

All of that on it's own would make Prophet a great book but where it gets even better is that once the first three issue arc is out of the way Prophet transforms from just being a creative survivalist book to something much more. As more artists comes on-board the book effectively becomes a modern day Heavy Metal. Each artists brings their own style, each issue telling it's own kind of story and becoming more imaginative as it goes on. The book eventual gains back up stories and while they don't always tie-in to the main narrative they are always unique. Here's some random out of context images of where the book goes.

There are currently two TPBs out, a word of warning for those picking them up though that they do not collect everything released, they focus on storylines over chronological order so they will be "missing" stuff from current issues. Every issue is also on Comixology and Image's own site for digital release (the first issue is free). To avoid any confusion Brandon Graham & Co.s run starts with issue #21. You do not need to read one Liefeld issue to enjoy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm really happy to see a thread about this, Prophet's incredible. It's one of the best SciFi books out there right now and the story telling structure and art is amazing. Also, it's not just a reimagining of Prophet an older Extreme 90s character there are a lot of other characters from Image that make appearances 10,000 years into the future. I don't want to spoil it because their just so well done and fantastic.

I knock Rob Liefield a lot but he's really aloud a large berth for writers to do what they want with characters he originally created, Supreme, Glory etc..

Hollismason fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2013 around 23:38

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Where Brandon Graham really shines is that since he's coming at this from the perspective of someone who is really good at drawing comic books he knows exactly how to work with the artist to make sure you read book at a certain pace and that pace is deliberately at a slow crawl. He wants you to look at what is going and really think about it. When you see a giant ancient space ship or the alien surface of a planet every effort is expended to give you a sense of scale. Earth was just a tiny lovely part of an massive war that spanned incalculable distances over impossible lengths of time and as John and crew pick though what was left you really get that feeling.

I also like that he's exploring what it means to live forever, like superheroes tend to do. It's one thing to say "oh, he's immortal," but there's very little thought about that that means. Forever is a long time.

Also Rein East is the best character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah every issue and world feels "alive" maybe it's just the art but really it just feels right and alien and perfectly weird, but still makes sense.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

There are currently two TPBs out, a word of warning for those picking them up though that they do not collect everything released, they focus on storylines over chronological order so they will be "missing" stuff from current issues.

Crap! I am reading this in trades because I found it easier to follow. Is there any list of what I've missed? I might pick up a few floppies if it's not too much.

Revol
Jul 31, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I feel great shame that I never made a thread for this title. I've been championing it here from pretty much the beginning. The first arc is a near masterpiece.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

It was for freedom

Hollis posted:

I'm really happy to see a thread about this, Prophet's incredible. It's one of the best SciFi books out there right now and the story telling structure and art is amazing. Also, it's not just a reimagining of Prophet an older Extreme 90s character there are a lot of other characters from Image that make appearances 10,000 years into the future. I don't want to spoil it because their just so well done and fantastic.

I knock Rob Liefield a lot but he's really aloud a large berth for writers to do what they want with characters he originally created, Supreme, Glory etc..

Yeah there are callbacks to other Image books but I just wanted to show that the book is it's own beast since I know people tend to freak out over anything which has the word Liefeld in it. There was also some confusion earlier on from people over the numbering as well.

Seldom Posts posted:

Crap! I am reading this in trades because I found it easier to follow. Is there any list of what I've missed? I might pick up a few floppies if it's not too much.

Spoilers for the end of the first arc but each TPB follows a different Prophet clone so the first one has the main contents of the first few issues and only the back up from #26 while as far as I am aware the second TPB focuses on Old Man Prophet and rather than having back ups has sketches and other art. Everything will get collected eventually but I decide to trade read the first and was surprised when people mentioned there were multiple short stories that I hadn't read.

Revol
Jul 31, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I may be mistaken here, but I'm pretty certain that every short story actually has absolutely nothing to do with Prophet at all. They're more like artist showcases. It's always somebody new, someone who hasn't worked on the actual Prophet story, and Brandon has no involvement. Maybe there were a couple Prophet-releated short stories in the beginning that I'm forgetting about. I can promise that the last.. 8 issues at least, were all completely unrelated. They're mostly pretty cool and interesting. They usually fit Prophet's vibe of 'super-weird and imaginative sci-fi'.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

It was for freedom

Yeah the only back up story to tie-in has been the Emma Rios one which was in the first TPB. Like people aren't missing out storywise from the back ups I just find it pretty annoying when TPBs are lacking content that singles have.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Revol posted:

I may be mistaken here, but I'm pretty certain that every short story actually has absolutely nothing to do with Prophet at all. They're more like artist showcases. It's always somebody new, someone who hasn't worked on the actual Prophet story, and Brandon has no involvement. Maybe there were a couple Prophet-releated short stories in the beginning that I'm forgetting about. I can promise that the last.. 8 issues at least, were all completely unrelated. They're mostly pretty cool and interesting. They usually fit Prophet's vibe of 'super-weird and imaginative sci-fi'.

Cool, thanks.

Revol
Jul 31, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah the only back up story to tie-in has been the Emma Rios one which was in the first TPB. Like people aren't missing out storywise from the back ups I just find it pretty annoying when TPBs are lacking content that singles have.

They could eventually put all those non-related stories into their own trade. It would be a worthwhile purchase if priced correctly.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

How cool were the James Stokoe pages in the latest issue? I had no idea he'd be contributing and it blew my mind in the best of ways. I'm thinking about trying to track down one of his original pages from that issue when I'm not broke.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

This panel is pretty exemplary of why Prophet is so good. It's an in-joke - finally, we get to see what's in all those Liefeld pouches! - but it's also a clever bit of world- and character-building. The hero is shown to be rugged and utilitarian, using stuff you could buy in a camping store on 21st-century earth, but he's just woken up on a strange planet and killed a gnarly space beast. His Biomat Spray is hosed, but at least he's got his tarpaulin! Brandon Graham is great at getting us to accept his huge, dazzling ideas by couching them in just the right amount of familiarity, comic insider-knowledge and poop jokes. If you're not reading Prophet already, get on it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Make sure you follow Brandon Graham on twitter for the occasional insight on the creative process.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Look what I just scored at a local thrift store! 50 cents a pop. Wished they had a more complete set, but it was pretty serendipitous to find these at all, not to mention the great price. Thanks for the thread, I wouldn't have known to grab these otherwise.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Prophet is basically the reason why I started buying comics at my local shop instead of the internet. It's too pretty for a computer screen, and I just want to hold it in my hands like a flat, 22-page science fiction baby. Has everyone seen the scripts Graham's been posting?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

I love the art and general direction of this comic but it's really really hard to understand. Is it supposed to be some sort of an mystery that unfolds or do I need to read some older Image Comics to get what's going on?

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the part of the OP that said that you don't need to read the old issues to get the comic

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2013 around 03:08

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

Four more years boys, four more years.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Look what I just scored at a local thrift store! 50 cents a pop. Wished they had a more complete set, but it was pretty serendipitous to find these at all, not to mention the great price. Thanks for the thread, I wouldn't have known to grab these otherwise.

No way! That's awesome!

I first got into them with a sale on Comixology and ended up buying the entire series before going to my LCBS to get them to pull them for me. They're so great.

A lot of space vaginas though. A lot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

It was for freedom

DarkCrawler posted:

I love the art and general direction of this comic but it's really really hard to understand. Is it supposed to be some sort of an mystery that unfolds or do I need to read some older Image Comics to get what's going on?

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the part of the OP that said that you don't need to read the old issues to get the comic

I wouldn't say that there's a mystery unfolding but the book does skip around between characters and has a lot of backstory that gradually unfolds rather than being all dumped upfront. Just go with it if you're liking the art as things do get explained.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Prophet is amazing and I really like the metal robot friend diehard. Are any of the other characters in the Old Man Prophet storyline call backs to early image characters?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Nystral posted:

Prophet is amazing and I really like the metal robot friend diehard. Are any of the other characters in the Old Man Prophet storyline call backs to early image characters?
The last issue is actually mostly callbacks to old image characters from Youngblood. And there was one a few issues ago where he had a tea ceremony with Suprema who had evolved into an psychic energy thing. They mentioned Glory in passing as well.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Nystral posted:

Troll used to look like this, now he looks like this. Supreme was a Superman knock-off that was written by Alan Moore for a time. He died under unknown circumstances and showed up on page 14 of 33, according to the script I posted a little while back.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Badrock used to be Youngblood's teenage rock monster. An older Badrock that shows up in Prophet has become the patriarch of a peacekeeping army of stone soldiers. Later, he and his progeny become literal planetary bodies.

I have absolutely no attachment to the original Liefeld iterations, yet I'm still pleased that these characters have somehow made good all these years later. It's also pretty cool that the few pages or panels they show up in can still illustrate such significant and interesting development.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

From the solicitations today:

quote:

PROPHET #45
story BRANDON GRAHAM & SIMON ROY
art GIANNIS MILONOGIANNIS & SIMON ROY
cover SIMON ROY
JANUARY 22
32 PAGES / FC / T+
$3.99
FINAL ISSUE OF PROPHET!
The War in Space reaches its climax, but the story will continue...

Bummer I can't wait to sit down and read it all in one shot though.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

7744 posted:

From the solicitations today:

Bummer I can't wait to sit down and read it all in one shot though.

quote:

@royalboiler: Prophet will end but #45 isn't the final run. We're doing Prophet EARTH WAR next. (also Thanks!) @theromra

It's not really over!

Revol
Jul 31, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dickeye posted:

It's not really over!

Phew! That was a scare.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dickeye posted:

It's not really over!

So basically Prophet is finishing up an major arch and is taking the opportunity to renumber the book or are they just changing the book's name?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

It was for freedom

side_burned posted:

So basically Prophet is finishing up an major arch and is taking the opportunity to renumber the book or are they just changing the book's name?

Prophet is ending and will have a follow up mini/maxi series of about 6 issues titled Prophet: Earth Wars which will wrap up all of Graham's stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

The most interesting plant in the world

I didn't know the second trade was out already. I bought the first trade due to the buzz it was getting on BSS and it was pretty rad, and I think the Conan in space was a pretty good description. I had been trade-waiting for the second trade for....maybe over a year and I guess most other titles spoil me for releasing trades fairly soon after arcs finish.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

The comic reminds me a lot of the roguelike Caves of Qud: http://forums.freeholdentertainment...ves-of-Qud-beta

It's a great comic. When is the 3rd compilation coming out?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I imagine a couple deluxe hardcovers will include all of the missing material. I hope so. I just ordered V. 3 cause I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Prophet is ending and will have a follow up mini/maxi series of about 6 issues titled Prophet: Earth Wars which will wrap up all of Graham's stuff.

Glad to hear that after finishing v. 3- I had thought this was the last issue!