Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo :stare: I had no idea that many people watched that show. I think I've only talked to one other person besides my roommate that watches it :stare: Besides me, I mean.

I want them to get some effin' Star Wars characters in there mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show is criminally good. The only problem could be the writers overextending themselves with the crazy plot reveals instead of tightening up after the pilot and creating a coherent narrative to develop the mysteries.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Given how they have written him to be a social progressive, is it wrong of me to kind of want to see Crane's reaction to the Tea Party?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Before tonight I knew literally nothing about Ichabod Crane/Headless Horseman story besides there was a dude with no head and a guy named Ichabod Crane, so I'm just going to accept this series as "canon" and it will be awesome

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Book of Revelation all up in this biiiiiiiiiii-iiiitch.

Revelation 6: 1-2

quote:

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

I like this show. I'm gonna record the season.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It was really weird reading this thread while watching Under the Dome and having both shows reference Revelation

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Best use of Sympathy for the Devil Emmy is locked up right here. This show is fantastic and insane.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This show is exactly what I need on Monday nights now that House is gone.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

hot drat at the priest throwing chains hellraiser style

this is great

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

big twinkie posted:

hot drat at the priest throwing chains hellraiser style

this is great

I loved this little bit in the aftermath:

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Guys, I'm so pumped after watching this. The headless horseman with a shotgun AND assault rifle? This is amazing!

I'm texting my friends like crazy that they need to watch this, this is so great. I'm in love with this show.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I loved this show. :)

Too bad about Clancy Jones Brown, though. :(

Edit: oops

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 17, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

hollylolly posted:

I loved this show. :)

Too bad about Clancy Jones, though. :(

That's Clancy Brown, sucka. Clancy Brown forever.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Just saw this now. I'm 100% on board for this ride.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

I've already told so many people about this, and the majority response is "It looked stupid."

yeah, cause you didn't watch the episode!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, it looked stupid.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, it was pretty stupid.

Just in a good way, for the most part.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well I was hooked from the trailer and really enjoyed this episode.

Can't wait to get crushed from seeing the ratings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The leads on this show are fantastic and have great chemistry already. I've seen the girl that plays Abbie in 42, but I've never seen the guy that plays Crane in anything.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Conquistador posted:

To be fair, it looked stupid.

I guess my main problem here is that the people that won't give it a chance are the people that don't have anything else to do and act like they don't have time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I thought the guy who played Crane was fantastic. I was initially kind of bothered by the fact that he seemed like the most level-headed, calm time traveler in the history of television, but looking back on the episode I think I prefer that to the usual fish-out-of-water cliche stuff that always happens. They had a few "What is this magical thing?!" jokes here and there, but they were surprisingly restrained compared to how crazy the rest of the episode was. Hell, I give them props just for not having a "WHAT IS THIS HORSELESS CARRIAGE?!?!?!" scene the first time Crane encountered a car.

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010
Well, I'm hooked as long as it doesn't suck the fun out of itself before the first season is up like Heroes did. How long before this song gets played in an episode?

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
This is only the pilot, and we've already seen the Headless Horseman with an assault rifle. This show is stupid in the best possible way. I can't wait for next week.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

VDay posted:

To be fair, it was pretty stupid.

Just in a good way, for the most part.

Agreed. I'll definitely have my DVR set for this in the upcoming weeks (which is probably how long it will last before cancellation).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deadpool posted:

The leads on this show are fantastic and have great chemistry already. I've seen the girl that plays Abbie in 42, but I've never seen the guy that plays Crane in anything.

He was in the BBC's excellent Parade's End with Benedict Cumberbatch.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

meristem posted:

Given how they have written him to be a social progressive, is it wrong of me to kind of want to see Crane's reaction to the Tea Party?

Given that in the preview it's implied that the Boston Tea Party was his idea, no, it's not wrong at all :D

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Mr. Fowl posted:

Given that in the preview it's implied that the Boston Tea Party was his idea, no, it's not wrong at all :D

Going off of this, I really hope that Crane is pretty much responsible for all Revolutionary shenanigans, Forrest Gump-style.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

No Manners No posted:

Well, I'm hooked as long as it doesn't suck the fun out of itself before the first season is up like Heroes did. How long before this song gets played in an episode?

Or this song...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

10 million viewers and a 3.4 share last night.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This show was about a thousand times better than it had any right to be. I went in expecting this season's Terra Nova or Revolution and I got something with a lot more goofy charm. I hope that the regular episodes can keep up the momentum of the pilot..

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Gonz posted:

Oh hell yes. Hopefully it can hold that number, or grow. :dance:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The first shot of the Horseman all tooled up was amazing. If they can keep putting that sort of stupid grin on my face then I'll keep watching.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Annakie posted:

Oh hell yes. Hopefully it can hold that number, or grow. :dance:

Fox is expecting it to grow to a 5.0 after 7 days of DVR viewing is factored in; it's the highest rated premiere since 2007.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
What killed Zero Hour was its insistence, that it was 'Serious Business', and the fact that Anthony Edwards has been incapable of enjoying himself in a role since 'Gotcha'. 'Sleepy Hollow' does not have either of these issues which gives me hope.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I'm cautiously optimistic with those numbers. Only real competition last night was Dancing With the Stars. If it can keep steady numbers once CBS and NBC roll out next week this could stick around.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Gonz posted:

Great. Hopefully it can keep it up.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Fox is expecting it to grow to a 5.0 after 7 days of DVR viewing is factored in; it's the highest rated premiere since 2007.

HOLY poo poo THAT OWNS.

This show is insane and stupid and motherfucking awesome in all the best ways. If it really does grow to that level, Jesus. :stare: Would they renew pretty much right away?

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kammat posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic with those numbers. Only real competition last night was Dancing With the Stars. If it can keep steady numbers once CBS and NBC roll out next week this could stick around.
Monday Night Football? Does that count as competition? I will admit this show sucked me in from the first minute and I watched it instead of the Steelers/Pirates/Pens games. It was way better than I thought it would be based on the previews. Just hope Fox gives it time. I think back to how 'odd feeling' Grimm was for the first handful of episodes (perhaps even the whole first season) but now, it is awesome.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
This show moved at breakneck pace. I felt like I had watched a full season in the first episode where they just breezed past thing after thing. None of it is going to be a season long mystery arc at all. Cop who's in league with evil - exposed and now dead. How did he get from the past to the present - witchcraft, stop asking. His wife and her minister friend were interesting I wonder if - she's a witch and so is he and he's also dead and they're part of a coven of good witches. Boy that headless horseman idea might rear its head in the latter half of sea - hello headless horseman why don't you chop of three heads if you like. I wonder if this is an allusion to - he's one of the four horseman and she has history with him so they're destined to work together. So I guess he's going to be locked up for a while until enough strange things happen that the captain - poo poo has gotten real and it's like "you grab the crazy guy and make it all better".

I kind of like shows that do a bandaid rip of plots you would guess or could get tedious but this has got to be the fastest establishing pilot of any show in existence.

Leads are good and I like the banter. I have no idea what to expect from the series but giving the headless horseman an action move gearing up scene has already giving it license to have fun and the cauterizing was a bit of a relief because I was sort of worried they'd go all Following or Hannibal with blood. It was gruesome, but not as gory as Bones so that makes it easier to have fun (I hope).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Crazily bonkers, I love it. This bodes well for the new TV season. Nice to see some decent viewership numbers for this. Luckily dead doesn't have to mean dead, because it would be too bad losing two great actors and interesting characters completely so early on.

• Locked thread