Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm in for the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

10 million viewers and a 3.4 share last night.

I'm in for the season pass!

I'm willing to forego all knowledge of history and literature, that's how much I liked the show.

In actuality, the show is different enough from actual history and the story that it's easy to get ignore all that and get into the premise of the show.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Conquistador posted:

E: wait theres actual history behind this :catstare:

I meant like, that the apocalypse was involved with the Revolution, and witches and so forth. It's all good until my students start to take it as actual history...

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, although it's justified as he's from England originally.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

ImpulseDrive posted:

Pestilence, not Phillistine.

I feel like philistine could be a part of the apocalypse though, something like Idiocracy...

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

Look, it was either that or live in a world with France in it. George III made his choice.

This comment didn't get enough love. :golfclap:

Another excellent episode. I couldn't watch John Cho pre-neck-fix for more than a second.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Didn't get to watch the second episode until now, but I'm really glad it continues on strong. This show's gonna be great. I think my favorite thing was that the horned demon apparently killed John Cho just to teach him a lesson. Actually, from a practical standpoint, I guess it also served to get him out of prison? :v:

Makes me wonder what the cameras will show when they realize his body is missing.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

johntfs posted:

This is the Bible carefully edited by Thomas Jefferson to remove all references to mystical and supernatural events.

Obviously as a cover up in case anyone got too suspicious... :tinfoil:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

They really nailed the sellout thing. A bunch of the stuff on that car lot set has nothing to do with Mohawks,

Plus I learned something as I didn't know what region pow wows came from and thought it wasn't from New England natives (and therefore Crane wouldn't have known what they were), but nope, it's a Narraganset word. Thanks show!

About his unusual progressiveness for the time, it's another thing I'm willing to take in stride and write off as, "Well, when you're a demon hunter, you probably figure out that real evil isn't a race or ethnicity issue."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I've been listening to Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in America and I have gleaned 2 facts relavent to the show:

1. Crane should be making way more fart and dick jokes.
2. Abby should be having to explain pretty much every idiom we consider normal, and not new poo poo like twerking and blogging but things like close shave, ax to grind, barking up the wrong tree, to pull the wool over your eyes. All of which were first recorded in the mid 1800s.

Mostly I bring this up because it's fascinating, and I was thinking of Sleepy Hollow the whole time while listening to it, after it talked about Leftenent.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I kind of want the Legend of Sleepy Hollow to exist in their universe, just to see Ichabod react to how Washington Irving described him.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

"Let me get this straight, I died so that the Headless Horseman could die, and I'm remembered as a bumbling fool who doesn't get the girl?"

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I've only watched the open so far but I have to say that is literally the best product placement I have ever seen (the Onstar scene).

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

It actually isn't product placement because they call it "NorthStar"

I guess my brain made it product placement. Help, Onstar has me!

What a loving episode. I never keep episodes on my DVR (except episodes of Adventure Time) but I'm keeping this episode.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's better than that: he's over 35 and was resident in the US before 1776, so he could be President.

But does he have a birth certificate to back it up?

I am crazy in love with this show, I realized. I haven't been this excited about a show in awhile.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

I was at the NYCC panel today and... Noble is going to play a Sin-Eater.

This is not really related to the show, except that that wikipedia article's line "not to be confused with the '80s pop singer Sinitta." I was pretty worried about getting those two things confused, for sure.

Since that wasn't related, here's something that is:
DVR recordings have brought Sleepy Hollow up in ratings a crazy amount apparently. Adding DVR numbers makes it Fox's second highest rated show, period. Fox's number 1 rated show is NFL, so yeah... go Sleepy Hollow!
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/13/sleepy-hollow-dvr/

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I'm calling it now. Crane's the secret son of George III.

Oh god, this show would totally do that, with the whole "regal upbringing" line and the fact that Crane is the Forrest Gump of the Revolution.

I loved the entire scene before they discovered Roanoke, from the "Right next to the sign that says 'Welcome to Roanoke.'" "Sarcasm isn't just your generation." Then the Adams/Jefferson comments, then the fox hunting... So good!

3 weeks? :( But what will I watch on Tuesday afternoons?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I feel like it's pretty easy to ignore shippers/shipping/crazy fandom stuff if you want to. And if you can ignore it, then what does it matter that it exists?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Midnight City posted:

Said by every person with herpes ever.

I...guess?

I just don't understand people who say that other people ruin their enjoyment of a show because they are zealously enthusiastic about it. I'm not arguing that some of the Supernatural fans aren't crazy, I'm just saying that they're easy to ignore.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

That makes sense too. I'm like dog kisser, I tend to just watch the show and chat about it on SA.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Watching this week's episode finally.

gently caress, I didn't think I could love this show more, but they actually loving got Revere, Prescott and "The Regulars are coming" right. Among all the historical events this show has totally gone off the wall with, they took the time to have Crane make the "We were British too" speech. I could cry, this makes me so happy. I was literally giving that same speech to my 7th/8th students three weeks ago.

And that's just one thing that happened this week, let alone the return of John Cho, Crane's water and internet interactions, the Sergeant's encounter with the horseman, and I've still got 20 minutes left...

E: omg, the Sally Hemmings conversation. Absolutely beautiful.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 17, 2013

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Someone up thread said the HH/Brom reveal would have been more effective if we had met Brom before and I totally agree.

Also I did not know glass harmonicas were a) a thing and b) apparently partially perfected by Benjamin Franklin whom we have yet to see in the show but who totally needs to show up at some point.

The glass harmonica Wikipedia page has already been updated to reflect its use in last night's show.

Good episode, not great, but maybe that's just compared to last week's non-stop awesomeness.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Compendium posted:

It's Rue from The Hunger Games!

EDIT: Irving's kid, not Ichabod.

THANK YOU! Even though I just saw Catching Fire I still couldn't place her.

Annakie posted:

I was out last night and just caught up this morning. Agreeing with what everyone said about the monster, but also, Tim Mison's acting when Abbie was telling him about his son was really just masterful. Give both of them Emmys already. (I know, sci-fi show, never gonna happen :( )

I know. My jaw dropped when we found out Crane was a father, and then when Crane found out... all the emotions.

Tupping Liberty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 26, 2013

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

Katrina is a regular master of horror. If those are the gifts she gives when trying to be nice, I'd hate to see what she gives when she's angry/doesn't like someone.

Is anyone else starting to get vibes that Katrina is maybe not on the good side? Or have I just been watching too much Scandal?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

Don't forget he was a nice dad in Earth 2. Uh, if anyone remembers Earth 2.

I remember Earth 2 AND I didn't see Carnivale... I am the person for whom his casting works.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Alphas ended at a natural conclusion.

I actually believe this because for some reason my mind is cool with everyone being dead except Gary.

Does Carnivale give me a similar opportunity, or is it less conclusive than Alphas?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Every revelation in the last 15 minutes of the show I was just saying "oh poo poo. oh poo poo! OH poo poo!" to. Glorious, Sleepy Hollow, glorious.

As a bonus, tomorrow I'm teaching about the actual Sleepy Hollow to my 7th and 8th graders for early American history. I am curious to see if their knowledge of it will be as tainted by this as the Civil War has been tainted by Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Jingleheimer posted:

And one thing that I didn't quite understand is why Jeremy would be at all pissed off at Ichabod. I get why he would hate Katrina due to feeling abandoned, but Ichabod was "dead" before he was even born. It's not like there was something Ichabod could have to done to be there for his son and then chose not to.

Moloch's lies, as Ichabod said.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

johntfs posted:

I'm going to assume that my own prediction of where everyone will be in terms of the resolution of the current situation is going to be true (Jenny clears Irving by "confessing" to "his crimes" then exchanges herself for Abbie and remains in Purgatory to become the "ghostly dream person" who communicates things to her sister and that Katrina and Ichabod are rescued from their captivities). Mostly because it makes the most sense to me in terms of the main cast (Katia Winter needs to be with the rest of her castmates

Assuming that's all true (and ) I'm looking forward to see what happens going forward. Figure Irving is probably going to be put under closer scrutiny regarding his decisions due to confessing to murders he did not commit. Having Katrina there in the flesh is going to be a big change as well. I can see the potential for tension and jealously between Abbie and Katrina. Abbie might begin to feel unnecessary in the face of Katrina's powerful magic (which will be very necessary to help protect everyone from War's magic, which also means that Katrina can't be exchanged back into Purgatory to free Jenny). Meanwhile Katrina might be concerned about the strong bond her husband has formed with another woman from this alien world. I predict that Katrina will have far more difficulty (and far less interest) in assimilating into the modern world. I don't see a gun vs magic catfight brewing, but there's definitely some story space to be explored in these relationships and situations.

I'm not an Abbie/Ichabod shipper (not that you have to be to have this opinion), but personally if it's between Katrina and Jenny, I hope Katrina either goes back to Purgatory or moves on elsewhere and we get Jenny back. Jenny is awesome, Katrina is... not.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I was wondering why they let that news out because it seems like a major spoiler to what happens, but actually death isn't really that big of a deal on this show, so...

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Am I missing something or does this list of the TV shows / movies that Sleepy Hollow shares a common source with start getting weird about 1/2 way down?

Are you talking about The Wind in the Willows? That's probably on there because Disney paired its cartoon version of Sleepy Hollow with the it, they call it The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad and it's the only way to buy it now.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

violetdragon posted:

I just checked 8pm Thursday on my DVR, to set a recording, and this week they're showing episode 4.

They did the same thing with their Brooklyn 99 reruns, just jumped all over the place, even with two episodes airing in one night.

I am disappointed, I wanted/needed a rewatch to catch me up. I guess I'll have to buy it (their plan all along).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Annakie posted:

There's now an official Sleepy Hollow podcast. For the next several weeks they'll be recapping season 1 until season 2 starts airing.

I like the host's portmanteau for the historical craziness, "twistery". Twisted history is my favorite part of this show I think.

• Locked thread