Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Given how they have written him to be a social progressive, is it wrong of me to kind of want to see Crane's reaction to the Tea Party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
After the "10% tax on donuts?!" part, I reiterate my previous wish to see Crane see the modern Tea Party, Rascals and all.

Lycus posted:

I like how indignant he was when she was explaining how to use a gun. "Look, just because I'm from the past doesn't mean I'm an idiot. :colbert:"

Yeah, and then the perfect counterpoint - "They shoot more than one bullet?"

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Lastly, Sleepy Hollow / Tarrytown looks nothing like what they keep showing, I visit relatives and friends in Tarrytown, the town just south, and while there might be pockets of Olde New Englande here and there it's pretty much urbanized. And there's not a single Starbucks in Sleepy Hollow, the closest is up in Ossining or across the bridge in Nyack!

As someone who's never been to Sleepy Hollow nor does she expect to: don't spoil my dream (of Starbucks every city block and gunpowder under the streets). Please.

Is 'lieutenant' as 'leftenant" a Ye Olde British/American Pronunciation, or what? I'm trying to twist the word around to get the way Mison pronounces it from the way it's written (and the way I first heard in Master and Commander...), and fail utterly. How is the word pronounced today in the UK/US?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

drat it, why didn't I check the obvious source.

Thank you, everyone. English is not my first language, but I usually do good on the pronunciation. But in this case, the underlying French simply didn't make sense however I took it. Knowing that it was originally also 'leuf' explains... well, everything.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Gonna just call it a deliberate stylist choice now, I suppose. In a town full of crazy, why shouldn't the sun get in on the gig?

I eagerly await the Season 3 or 4 episode where they finally notice, "Hey, don't you think that time flows differently here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

You see that with a lot of "historical" characters. The ones that the audience is supposed to like are the ones that act exactly like modern day Americans no matter how out of place it is. Crane isn't the worst offender at this by a mile. Fortunately Sleepy Hollow's historical aspects aren't supposed to be taken seriously so it doesn't stand out as badly as it does in bad historical novels (or 90% of "good" historical novels for that matter).

That's why it'd be fascinating to see Crane's positions on matters which are hot and contentious today. And that's why we won't be seeing them, because it would mean alienating a part of the audience, and also not be "easy fun" anymore, but actual social commentary.

I know I joked about this before, but just imagine a seriously taken time-travelling Crane reacting to seeing today's Tea Party shutting down the American government. This would need to be a completely different series - a satire.

• Locked thread