Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
New season thread you say? Time to pick a new avatar! I only watched most of S5 once through, I'll have to spend some time re watching over the next couple weeks and pick a favorite moment.

So excited for this show to be back!! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've had a lousy few weeks with a bad breakup and other life things generally being bad; "ready to smile and laugh again" is exactly how I feel. So glad this show is back!

Aside from a few promo shots of the cast on their Facebook I've also stayed unspoiled, so no idea where this season will be going except for the Ann & Chris leaving news.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
One of the most significant bummers of my life time. :sigh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Adam Scott just tweeted some clarifications about the recent article talking about the season, because apparently that's a thing now.

https://twitter.com/mradamscott

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
P&R referencing The Princess Bride is going to make my head explode with happiness. Two of my all-time favorite things mashed together, even if only briefly? Yeah, okay!
The real question is, will Ben be dressed as Westley, or Humperdinck?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I noticed that except same thing while rewatching the recent episodes last night. Not sure what the deal is with that, because isn't she still doing P&R work full time technically, and City Council on the side? Weird.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I was already planning to be at GenCon this year anyway; an actual Cones of Dunshire event just solidified that plan. Amazing!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Poque posted:

This is the best 20 minutes of my day. The visual gag with Jim O'Heir was masterful.

I'm glad you said this, because I listened to it in the background while doing some work and wasn't watching a lot of it closely. I'll have to go back and look for this. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Today will literally be the worst best day. Sigh.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I absolutely loved this episode start to finish. Chris getting his new buddy box for the kid, April and Ann's moment, all things Ann and Leslie- all the feels!

And as usual, Andy was goddamn hilarious. "Have fun in Mexico!"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Tom's new girlfriend from earlier in the season (the doctor/nurse, was it) needs to come back, stat. She was great.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Poque posted:

The show should end in a lumberjack's cabin with a slow cut to Ron's face, gleefully staring into the camera.

I would unironically love them if they did something like this, even though there's no real reason for them to do such an obvious parody.
I just want everyone to rub in to Scott Buck what a clusterfuck he dropped on TV land. :sigh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Laughed my rear end off a lot this episode. Loved Dr. Saperstein, the Ron & Donna business was nice, April and Andy were funny as always, and while I go back and forth on Craig, I enjoyed him in this one a lot. And I guess my tastes aren't refined enough to immediately hate the word "baby" on television?

A shame what an overall downer this thread has become. I never get to live watch but always come to read the posts and laughs and discussion that follows, but that's all but gone, having given way to nit picking and nay saying. Boooo :sigh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

FadingChord posted:

(When we find out that they're fourth in obesity, doesn't Leslie or Tom or someone name-drop who #3 in obesity is?)

"We're coming for you, San Antonio!"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Drifter posted:

They would be piloting the monorail transports. :colbert:
The stops wouldn't be to streets, but to fast food restaurants.

They'll be given cushy jobs.

Fixed. :ssh:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I am only seeing seasons 2 and 3 now. Weird.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
"When you play the game of Cones, you either win or you die. There is no middle ground."

WHY DIDNT YOU SAY THIS, BEN

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Mayfair Games announces a limited attendee Cones of Dunshire charity event officially to be at Gen Con Indy in August, only 33 tickets available. I snap booked 2 tickets for me and a buddy who are going to be out there anyway. :dance: :dance: :dance:

http://mayfairgames.com/news.php?id=303

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The question now is do I order one of these for the event...?

(e: just kidding, that wasn't really a question, of course I did)

Merauder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2014

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just wrapped up at the Cones of Dunshire charity event hosted by Mayfair Games at GenCon. Hilariously good time. All of us who got to participate got a legit board game box (no actual game inside, ofc) for CoD, and exclusive shirts that say "I played Cones of Dunshire" and some other stuff.
There was a video of Ben (with a cameo from Tom) welcoming all the players, which they said they'll have up on YouTube soon.
There's some pictures and stuff up on Mayfair's the official GenCon Facebook I think.

:dance:

Merauder fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 17, 2014

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Okay, going to try to remember everything from memory, and posting from my phone so maybe not the most well structured write up, but here goes nothing!

There were 33 of us participants, which were divided into 11 teams of 3. Each team was tasked with assigning the roles of General, Quartermaster, and Field Marshall. Each team also had 3 game pieces pre-assigned; I don't remember all of ours from memory, but we had a Maverick, and then two others not taken from the show I believe. Each piece had a different value assigned to it as well; our Maverick was a 13 for example, which was among the highest out there, I think.

Everyone played simultaneously which added a wonderful amount of chaos to it all. At the start of each round the Quartermaster was responsible for 'rolling dice to see how many dice we rolled', which I believe was 2d4+1 or some such silly and arbitrary amount, and then there was another roll as well, both of which consisted of a bunch of d6s. One of the two rolls was for "Support Dice", which could be assigned as movement for pieces on the board, or used to earn money 1:1, which was then spent to purchase buildings for out civilizations which each added various bonuses as you upgraded them.
The other set of rolled dice were action dice; each of our 3 game pieces had an action assigned to numbers 1-6, so our Quartermaster (who was responsible for dice rolling and assigning actions) could assign the various numbers he rolled to any of the game pieces to enable them to perform a variety of silly actions over the course of the round. I don't remember any specifics but I kept one of the sheets we used for it, so I'll get some pictures up later so people can see.

After the Quartermaster assigned actions how he wanted and wrote down all the Support Dice he rolled, he turns over the page to the Field Marshall, who brings it to the General (me on our team, as it were). After looking at all the actions selected, the General then decides how to utilize the support dice for movement/money. I mentioned what we used money for, so here's what movement on the board was like.

There are a variety of spaces, some land, some water, some lighthouses, the Decision Cone space, and most importantly, the 4 Doom Spaces. We had to move a character to a doom space to attempt a challenge in order to acquire the color of cone (4 cones wins, remember), which was usually some random dice-based goal. The problem was with 33 game pieces on the board, lots of people ended up on the same spaces at once, which then caused challenges between all the characters there. This is where the aforementioned numbers on the characters came into play, though I was never really clear on how all that worked. If you got bumped off a doom space, the other team would get to move you and then you wouldn't get to vie for that space's cone. Moving the spaces and ensuring pieces actions were announced as needed was the responsibility of the Field Marshall before returning to the Quartermaster for the next round.

Before even bothering with the Doom spaces though, you had to have acquired enough resource gems of that space's color which were randomly distributed around the board each round by one of the employees. So there was red, yellow, and blue gems, 3 of each color needed to collect the matching cone; the 4th Doom Space required collecting one of each of the 3 gems.

After collecting the 4 cones you had to move a piece to the Cone of Decision and stay there without getting bumped off at the end of the round to win.

Aside from all that, there was also the Cone of Darkness which would be sheathed or unsheathed ("mostly a matter of preference"), trivia cards awarded at various times, Doom cards that added random effects to the game, etc.

All in all it was pretty much an attempt at controlling chaos, and it mostly worked. There were elements from the show's descriptions absent like no "game in reverse" challenge play, no agriculture credit trading (or credits at all) and so forth, but it was a goddamn ton of fun. Everyone was clearly big fans of the show, and everyone was laughing and having a ball running around like crazy people for 2 hours. The Ledgerman roll was auctioned off as part of the charity stuff, and ended up going for 775$ I believe. He pretty much sat up at the front of everything and offered words of wisdom from time to time when we went to collect money from our support dice; no actual keeping score.

Again I'll get some pictures up from things I brought back from the event soon. And there's some photo coverage of the event on the GenCon Facebook if you want to see a bunch of nerds looking silly with party hats cones on our heads. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone who thought my write up of the GenCon Cones of Dunshire event sounded like a good time, I spoke with one of the guys from Mayfair (the company who developed it and put on the event) recently and he tipped me off that due to popular demand they are likely going to run a Kickstarter to develop the game into a real product for the masses. Going to be a ridiculous sized box!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wouldn't there be some copyright issues with NBC?

They'll be working with them on it. Why NBC isn't just ponying up the :10bux: to make it happen I don't know, but whatever, so long as it happens I'm cool with it. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Well, yes and no.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

SweetJahasus posted:

Wait where else will Pratt be featured if not on P&R?

After his success in Guardians, not to mention other big screen roles he's landed in the last couple years, it's safe to say "everywhere".

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Season 6 hit Netflix this week, and while rewatching I'm reminded how goddamn awesome Tatiana Maslany was in her few appearances. I really, really hope she makes an appearance in season 7, though [cast spoiler ahead] apparently the actress who played Lucy will be back, so there's a good chance we've seen the last of Nadia, sadly.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yes, the show is back in the Spring for a final (short) season. They're sticking with the time lapse for the remaining episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Not sure if this was previously known already, but the official FB posted January 13th for the final return of the show. I'm *literally* looking forward to this more than Christmas.

• Locked thread