Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
FIFA are due to announce today that Qatar faces no threat to it's hosting rights, but it's expected that a taskforce will be setup to examine alternative dates for the tournament. Sepp is pushing for a vote on moving it to Jan/Feb today, but Platini wants a full report done with people from different leagues involved on making the decision.

Basically they don't give a gently caress about migrant workers and Sepp was up for pushing a move through without even consulting league officials. Aside from loving up football calendars the move will also clash with the Superbowl and Winter Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24375821

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If the start date of the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons are pushed back, the players who take part in Euro 2020 will be completely hosed by the time the World Cup takes place. Just one more logistical nightmare for them to handwave away I guess

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

St Evan Echoes posted:

Just one more logistical nightmare for them to handwave away I guess

At least we can look forward to laughing at a room full of decrepit liches trying to wave with Rolex's the size of golfballs strapped to their wrists.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Are there any terror groups ala Al-Qaeda based in Qatar? Sub-question: what is the likelihood of the Sepp Blatter and the rest of the executive committee being assassinated?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Wenger thinks having the world cup in the winter is good idea for the security of the supporters. Have to say I haven't thought of the security aspect of it tbh. Another reason why giving it to Qatar just gets more and more bizarre.

quote:

Wenger thinks it's a feasible idea to play the competition in winter but stressed that the safety of the supporters is the most important thing to take into consideration.
"Arsenal will do what English football decides," said Wenger. "Of course we want to adapt to the behaviour of English football.
"To me it looks reasonable to play in the winter because the only thing that matters is the safety of the supporters who go there and attend the games.

"The players can cope with the heat because they are prepared. They will be in great condition."
Football League chairman Greg Clarke said there should be a re-vote on Thursday but Wenger disagreed when he was asked if he would back a re-election process.

"No, unless there are some irregularities proven, then yes. But if there is nothing irregular which has happened, why should you re-vote?
"Otherwise you can then ask every time that people are not happy with what comes out to vote again. You have to respect the vote and adapt to the situation.

"The only thing to me which looks surprising is they have not considered that [summer heat] at the moment of the vote."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-winter-world-cup-reasonable

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think they should host a world cup at the bottom of the ocean.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

They wouldnt have to worry about weather conditions at least

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

euroboy posted:

Wenger thinks having the world cup in the winter is good idea for the security of the supporters. Have to say I haven't thought of the security aspect of it tbh. Another reason why giving it to Qatar just gets more and more bizarre.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-winter-world-cup-reasonable

Looks like the Qataris got to Wenger, wonder what they gave him

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wenger Must Walk Like An Egyptian.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
After the Heatstroke world cup in Qatar I'd like to see the world cup given to Bolivia. Imagine every player having to play wearing big oxygen tanks and the ball dipping and swerving everywhere because of the thin air

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Pissflaps posted:

how much is Neptune offering???

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I would be completely fine if the FA decided any team under their control was not allowed to play in any competition that FIFA has a part in.

Also, does anyone know why Platini has such a massive boner for hating the English league? It's like he goes out of his way to insult the UK and the FA any way he can.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Dravs posted:

Also, does anyone know why Platini has such a massive boner for hating the English league? It's like he goes out of his way to insult the UK and the FA any way he can.

He's French

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Dravs posted:

He doesn't, it's a myth mostly made up by english media. I'm pretty sure he hates everyone equally.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

euroboy posted:

He doesn't, it's a myth mostly made up by english media. I'm pretty sure he hates everyone equally.

That would make sense. The English media does love to paint its own country as martyrs. He must just be a hateful person. Is that a requirement for joining FIFA? Or do you need to do the course "Supplementing your income: It's only a bribe if you declare it"?

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Dravs posted:

I would be completely fine if the FA decided any team under their control was not allowed to play in any competition that FIFA has a part in.

I think UEFA and FIFA don't like how the FA and the Premier League are separate bodies and the FA isn't in charge of the Premier League.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/bodies/news/newsid=2190019/index.html

Fifa are streaming today's press conference in half an hour's time. We should run a sweepstakes on how many minutes it takes before someone says something absolutely moronic.

*EDIT*

Full agenda available here: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff..._en_neutral.pdf

There's items on it about women's football, racism & discrimination and the Israel-Palestine situation. I imagine each one will flop a beautiful quote from someone senior.

Bacon of the Sea fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 4, 2013

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

euroboy posted:

Idk what he thinks about other leagues but he cries about how horrible England is more than Alex loving Salmond.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Lot 49 posted:

Idk what he thinks about other leagues but he cries about how horrible England is more than Alex loving Salmond.

You never get that impression reading non-british media. He moans a lot yeah, but he seems more critical about the spanish league. There's no special bias against england from him, it's a myth.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

BOOM.

3 mins in and a Qatari journalist asked a question about timescale for deciding if it will be summer/winter, then added that they have evidence the Guardian report was all made up and the Nepalese ambassador to Qatar agreed the stories were false. Sepp replied "We have received information from constructors that it is not true". He's now added that it's not Fifa's remit to supervise construction crews around the world and that "we should have spoken about heat before".

A British journalist then asked what the point of an investigation is if they've already decided Qatar will definitely host. He replied the report is not up to the Fifa exec, it's down to the ethics committee, adding he can't comment on it or what they want to do.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Fifa: Someone should have told us before we decided that it was hot in Qatar.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

lmao "The Guardian is just lying" hes like Murdoch on crack

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

I wonder why they even bother to put up these really weak explanations; who is this show put on for? It is clear that they are arrogant, corrupt, and untouchable and no person believes otherwise.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Sepp also said he had "no opinion" about FIFA ethics investigator Michael Garcia being barred entry into Russia to investigate for violations of the ethics code and evidence that political influence had played a part in world cup voting.

It may be worth noting that it was Blatter that signed the 4 year sponsorship deal between Fifa and Russian state owned Garprom last month, a deal that runs up to the end of the next world cup. At the time Sepp said "We are aware of the many humanitarian and social projects that this Russian company has implemented. I am convinced that this is a good partnership that will not only help World Cup preparations, but also serve us well afterwards."

Sepp has also been put in charge of deciding the fate of the Russia 2018 world cup regarding the anti-gay law, rather than the ethics committee or fifa taskforce against discrimination. Which no doubt we'll never hear another word on.

The mind reels.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't wait for the oval office to die

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Aside from the fact that it just keeps getting worse with each new revelation, I think what boggles me most of all is how unashamed and unabashedly open FIFA is about all of it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Every time you think it gets worse, it gets worse. At this point, FIFA is like a serial killer where at first they're arrested for one murder and then while they're in prison evidence connects them to two, then five, then eight, then twelve, then who knows how many dead bodies.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Crazy Ted posted:

Every time you think it gets worse, it gets worse. At this point, FIFA is like a serial killer where at first they're arrested for one murder and then while they're in prison evidence connects them to two, then five, then eight, then twelve, then who knows how many dead bodies.

That would only work as an example if after finding the bodies they come back to interview FIFA and find the guards dead, the prison in ruins and a hole in the walls with a note saying "FIFA WOZ 'ERE"

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I WANT THEM ALL DEAD

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I blame Murdoch who in turn I blame on Maggie

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

@BrianStraus

RT @danroan Told Blatter lost temper today with Exco members who voted for Qatar, reminding them of trouble they created. Met with silence.

Please be true

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
You know that scene in The Office US where Michael Scott tries to invite a troop of Boy Scouts to their charity poker night:

quote:

Michael Scott: Oh, and another fun thing. We, at the end of the night, are going to give the check to an actual group of Boy Scouts. Right, Toby? We're gonna...
Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to invite children since it's... You know, there's gambling... and alcohol... and it's in our dangerous warehouse... and it's a school night... And, you know, Hooters is catering. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?
Michael Scott: Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

That scene is all I can think of.

quote:

FIFA: And the 2022 World Cup goes to... Qatar!
Toby: Actually, I didn't think it was appropriate to give it to Qatar since it's... You know, it gets 150 degrees in the summer... moving it to winter would disrupt all the leagues... you can't drink... it's illegal to be gay... And, you know, slaves. You know, is that enough? Should I keep going?
FIFA: gently caress you, I'm FIFA.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Please be true

the executive committee or the natural gas company lmao

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

euroboy posted:

You never get that impression reading non-british media. He moans a lot yeah, but he seems more critical about the spanish league. There's no special bias against england from him, it's a myth.

I do read non-British media and I've thought Platini had a problem with England even since an interview he did with l'Equipe. He was really angry about English clubs doing well in that year's CL and insisted United had cheated to win the competition because having American owners dump hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt on them was somehow giving them an edge. It was complete bollocks and seemed really agenda driven. If he's really critical of Spain shouldn't he have come out and said Madrid where cheats when they actually did the thing he incorrectly accused United of? They owed hundreds of millions to banks when they paid a record fee for Ronaldo. Instead he publicly supported the transfer and said it was normal for a club like Madrid to buy the best players. Later when City become rich and tried to buy Kaka from Madrid he had a change of heart and was vocal in opposing the deal, he said it was "ridiculous" and he didn't think it was "morally acceptable". Don't see how this kind of behaviour, which he has repeated an awful lot over the years, constitutes a British media myth.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

euroboy posted:

You're only a slave in Blatter's eyes if you play for an English club

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

You're only a slave in Blatter's eyes if you play for an English club

his and that American's from the finance thread

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm at a loss as to how FIFA continue to get away with this. Making a player fulfil his contract is slavery. Slavery is not slavery. Official records of worker deaths are lies, and weather is a great unknown.

Interpol busted him for corruption for fucks sake, how did nothing come of that? How can I get in on this sweet multi-billion salary charity action?

e; Oh apparently bribery isn't a crime, that's why

loving Swiss.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 4, 2013

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bacon of the Sea posted:

The mind reels.

Pictured: Sepp with a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I wonder how much money I would need to convince FIFA to host an entire World Cup just in the city of Leeds. Various parks and 5 a side pitches around the city for the group games, Elland Road for the final. Is there some sort of bribe chart available for reference

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I wonder how much money I would need to convince FIFA to host an entire World Cup just in the city of Leeds. Various parks and 5 a side pitches around the city for the group games, Elland Road for the final. Is there some sort of bribe chart available for reference

Lookit this noob who doesn't know the real money is in construction kickbacks. When will Antarctica host a tournament? I have a plan to build hotels, airports, stadia and roads, who wants some action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Does Leeds/West Yorkshire have vast amounts of oil reserves sitting under it?

Because this is important.

Also, both semifinals need to be hosted at Headingley, at the same time, one at the cricket ground and the other at the rugby ground.