Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Stoph posted:

You need both. JavaScript frameworks don't replace Rails/Django, they replace jQuery spaghetti. Your application is not less secure because you organize your client side code better.
They sort of can replace Rails and Django. There's a large range of variation in how much of the logic goes on the server and on the client. At one extreme the server is just a thin wrapper around the database that handles authentication and security, and for that a microframework like Flask or Sinatra is more than sufficient. At the other extreme you can have everything but templating and animations and such on the server, and for that using a fully featured backend framework is nearly always a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
JSON is normally sent gziped.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

No. It's just a GUI for all the same things that people usually use with grunt.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Grunt doesn't really have anything to do with programming with node.js. It happens to use node, but unless you're modifying Grunt itself that's mostly irrelevant.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

fletcher posted:

That sounds pretty interesting, do you have a link to it?

http://www.gwern.net/Google%20shutdowns

His entire site is fascinating analyses of things that I would never have thought would be interesting to analyze before reading them.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Debian packaging is easy. Step 1: write some code that people want to use. Step 2: let them deal with packaging it for Debian.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I don't understand why this decision was made, other than to actively gently caress with new coders :v:

Thankfully, arguments can be considered deprecated in ES6 anyways

That's why. They want to remove arguments entirely, but to avoid breaking bc are only doing so for functions defined using the new syntax, and binding the parent context's arguments is what would happen if it was just a normal variable in the containing scope.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

HaB posted:

I would argue that it's a poor interview question, though - because it doesn't really address anything real-world.

Knowing how this works is pretty important for writing real-world JS in any way other than changing random poo poo until your code appears to work.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

https://www.npmjs.com/package/flatten-packages may be helpful.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

PhantomJS gives you an actual browser engine so that you can test code that does stuff like DOM manipulation without mocking it or using a fake that may not behave like the real thing, but it adds a bunch of overhead and ideally most of your tests shouldn't need that. Broadly speaking you should run unit tests on node, and integration tests on PhantomJS.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

When I last used it, PhantomJS had a very noticeable startup time (like 10+ seconds). That was about two years ago though, so if that's been fixed I'd just use it for everything.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

VMWare generally performs significantly better than VirtualBox.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It's very easy to make bootstrap not look like bootstrap, but of course you never notice that those sites are using bootstrap unless you're actively digging into the source.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

The best tutorials are usually the ones written by someone who just figured out what they're talking about.
And then edited by an expert to fix all the little incorrect things.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I have found that literally everything which involves separating concerns will be described by someone as "basically just MVC" even if there aren't even three general kinds of things involved.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

spacebard posted:

It worked for them

For very generous definitions of "worked". I don't know how you build a site that spend 10-20 seconds as a broken mess while widgets pop in one-by-one and then decide that it's shippable.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

n4 posted:

My question is this: is it worthwhile to put a lot of work into a past project? Now that I'm employed and have experience on my resume (also will have a site to add to my portfolio from this job), I just wonder how much it will help the next time I'm interviewing.
Not a lot. Having anything at all to show off is important to get past the bozo filter and to give you something you can talk about in interviews, but the difference between a good and great one is mostly irrelevant. Being able to discuss what you'd change about it and why if you were to build it today could be useful.

You'll want to update it occasionally, though, before you get to the point of showing off something built around jQuery in 2016.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

There's an argument that the BSD license has an implied patent grant (as otherwise it doesn't actually grant you any of the rights it claims to), and that an explicit license grant would replace the implied one, rather than adding to it. No part of this argument has in any way been tested in court, though.

The older wording of the patent grant was really lovely and far more broad than it was supposed to be, but the new wording is basically the same as Apache 2.0 and no one has a problem with that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Plavski posted:

I thought Mongo was the new hotness tho?

The Mongo is Web Scale video is 6 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Summit posted:

Nobody should really be saying "Angular 4" much like nobody says "React 15" (current version, since they also do semver). I'll admit Angular team has handled this situation very poorly but the piling on about version numbers is pretty silly.

The difference is that there is not a completely different thing named React 1 which people use and you need to distinguish it from.