Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've love to hear about people's experiences with RxJS as a primary state management solution in React apps.

I inherited a project that is using it, and at first glance this feels like a "spaghetti with meatballs" type solution where you have to know the specific name of the singleton observable that has the bit of state you want. The laziness worked against me, because it turns out fromFetch doesn't actually make a network call until something is subscribed to listen to the answer, rather than making the call and having the result available in the observable waiting for the first subscriber.

My understanding is that reactive programming's big break was because async Java is less ergonomic to write than async/await, and handling everything as streams with a reactor lets you more effectively use less memory and fewer threads, both of which help squeeze more performance out of heavily loaded backend servers. These advantages aren't really an issue on the frontend, so what's the situation where RxJS is clearly an appropriate tool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Other than hello world and todo lists, are there any go-to ideas for building projects to learn new frameworks? I'm alright dealing with existing code, but I need more practice starting projects from scratch and my mind either goes blank or only comes up with absurdly large ideas.

Searchable database of something scrapeable?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well, I made a bad bet. I try pretty hard not to chase the latest shiny thing, but I fought hard to bring Tailwind in because it feels like the best of CSS-in-JS without the constantly growing CSS size and easier theme-ability.

And now Tailwind 2.0 released, breaking IE11 compatibility: https://blog.tailwindcss.com/tailwindcss-v2. You guys are all still supporting IE, right? Or is my employer the odd man out that IE compatibility is a must-have, entirely non-negotiable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Fool posted:

Continuing to run IE is a security risk.

That said, lots of places still do it, but mostly to support legacy applications. I find it super weird that new development would care about IE compatibility.

We're a directly public-facing service offering, where customers who are unable or unwilling to use our website & various web tools will be calling in instead. We still have millions of customers using IE that are using our self-service tools, and giving them a broken experience or telling them to call instead would increase costs by millions.

There's still enough end users at home using IE that we can't write it off yet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ape Fist posted:

The problem isn't that private citizens are using IE11 en-masse, but people with locked down corporate machines are. If you're building an internally facing SPA behind a login you're almost guaranteed to have a non-trivial number of IE11 users and it loving sucks rear end.

We do some internal tools development here, and that story is even worse.

One of the most heavily used internal tools got stuck on AngularDart 1.x using v0 Web Components APIs, so we pinned to an old version of Chrome for internal machine images for almost a year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

- Native app development is also crazy and terrible.

I know this is the Webdev thread, but native app development is in a fine place as long as you can target only one OS and tell the others to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gbut posted:

Does anyone here use a nice headless CMS?

I'm looking for something that is not wordpress-like, but insteawd allows me to create my own schema via GUI. I've tried Strapi, but the Digital Ocean instance crashed and burned while I was playing with content types. What is similar, but maybe more stable? SaaS solutions work too. I just need a fine grained control over the input fields and data relations, and Strapi seemed to be doing that fine.

About to investigate:
- agilitycms
- prismic
- umbraco
- buttercms

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My employer has had some big sass success with Contentful, but our applications are only reading from it, with the content team using Contentful’s interface for authoring.