Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Edit: Thanks for finding the dead links Misogynist

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Can someone please brutally rip apart my resume? I'm shooting for internships or entry-level work in web dev and data visualization in NYC.

My background is in science and only tangentially related to coding, and Goons have been super helpful so far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/362h1sbf2tz32q6/ae_resume_8_12_newest.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5e2jws93sswrg0/ae_resume_8_12_newest.docx

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Great stuff and tips on code hosting

Subjunctive posted:

More great stuff and a good github reminder
I forgot about this, you guys are awesome! I'm rewriting my resume this weekend along with advice from other threads. Although I code with a stranger in mind (aka me a month from now) my stuff is too embarrassing for github. I'm paying for a cheap domain to emphasize the app and when it's better I'll throw it in the community spotlight.

At least one person responded well to my current version (along with my project) but they're not programming at the startup. Should I expect the majority of small companies to have developers screening resumes? I've heard big firms use HR and auto-scanning systems to handle the larger volume.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I'm having trouble supporting the SVG foreignObject element across multiple browsers and I'd appreciate the hell out of some advice.

My captions are divs containing h2 and p tags while the nodes they're attached to are SVG g elements.

As you can see this works great on Chrome, but there's awful tearing in Safari and missing stuff in Firefox.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Are React apps capable of interaction and redraw speeds faster than well-optimized vanilla JS / jQuery? I've never actually asked or heard an answer to this. Obviously React is faster for some typical webapps, but does it beat everything?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

No, however you'll write good enough code in far less time, the maintenance of it will be easier to track, and the good enough performance doesn't require you to think too hard.

That sounds great, but does it do a good-enough job for the effort with complicated interactive webapps / data visualizations / games? I have to learn React soon anyway and it's absolute strengths aren't clear.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thanks, sounds like a good tool for making complicated stuff that's reliabley "80% of the way there"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, he's probably the best/nicest/most-helpful guy I've come across.running an OSS project.

Mike Bostock of D3 would like a word with you.
Well, no, he's too humble to think that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

i worked at a place that had ~40 developers split into 8 different teams of 3-6 people. each friday there'd be a lottery and two lucky pairs would switch teams for the next week. if a team lost it's lead and got back a raw jr that was just how it went. once you 'won' the lottery you were out until everyone had rotated at least once. it was really nice to get some cross exposure and it was good preparation for someone 'critical' being unavailable. the dev manager would spend one week a month on a random team too working tickets and acting in all respects as a member of that team. it was the best place i've ever worked

Can you imagine a law firm or non-teaching hospital doing this?

“Yes please, I love being treated like an interchangeable cog. Professionalism? What’s that? I’m just an overpaid laborer after all.”

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thanks for the counterarguments, I'm thinking about what to think. Not trying to troll here, I respect the passing-of-the-torch requirements in the programming industry.

As for MVC you all are wasting your time. There is only one true pattern:

code:
var tDuration = 500;
var tEase = d3.easeCubicInOut;
var body = d3.select('body');

var elemClass1Data = [{...}, {...}, ...];
var elemClass1s = body.selectAll('elem.class1')
    .data(elemClass1Data);
elemClass1s = elemClass1s.enter().append('elem')
    .classed('class1', true)
    .attr('attr1', function(d) { return ...; }) // initial attr 1
    .style('style1', function(d) { return ...; }) // initial style 1
    .on('event1', function(d) { return ...; }) // event handler 1
    .merge(elemClass1s);
elemClass1s
    .transition().duration(tDuration).ease(tEase)
    .attr('attr1', function(d) { return ...; }) // updated attr 1
    .style('style1', function(d) { return ...; }); // updated style 1
elemClass1s.exit()
    .transition().duration(tDuration).ease(tEase)
    .style('opacity', 0)
    .remove();

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Time to make amazing chart in d3: 45 minutes.

Time to try and remember how the gently caress d3 works conceptually to make the chart: 3 days.

Time to forget how d3 works after you finished making your chart: 0.0000003 seconds.

Time to hire me

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Is there a big security risk associated with enabling cross origin resource sharing on a website? I added flask-cors so that my Flask backend can serve CSV files to my React frontend and I'm not sure what kind of Pandora's box I'm opening.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Sedro posted:

Yes, it's the same risk as CSRF but for any requests you allow, from any domains you allow.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

If you are careful about only opening it to a domain you control then the risks are only as high as the risk that someone might inject JavaScript into your site. If you've taken the appropriate steps to secure against that, then the act of allowing CORS for that domain name is not especially risky. Of course any additional attack vector you add to a system necessarily increases your risk, but we're talking about a pretty acceptable level of risk here I think.

Thanks

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like you can't make a publicly accessible RESTful API without enabling CORS on the responses. We want to serve JSON blobs to people's requests no matter where they come from. If this isn't a CORS issue then what's a good book or blog to understand it better?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You can, just so long as the JavaScript that uses the API is hosted on the same domain as the API itself. The "Origin" in CORS that we're talking about here is the page hosting the JavaScript, not the user's machine executing the JavaScript.

Well, we want it to be a public API so for the most none of the JS that uses the API will be on the same domain. We have a frontend with test examples, but even that will probably have a different domain than the server hosting the API.

Edit:
So it sounds like someone could download setupAPIembed.js from our site, where all calls to the API originate from functions in that file, and it wouldn't require CORS.
I guess I don't get how Instagram/Twitter/etc run API endpoints that can be queried from some random dude's XHR request and return a JSON object, without turning on CORS. Ultimately twiiter.com is serving a data file and anyone can download it.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 5, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone here used both D3 and either React/Vue in an application? I've done it with Angular but nobody seems to have a consensus on the "right" way to handle D3 visualizations and virtual DOM

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Lumpy posted:

I have used D3 with React quite a bit. There is no "right" way to do it.... but I use this semi-rule of thumb: For mostly static stuff, D3 handles calculations, and React renders. For stuff with a lot of animation / data changing, D3 renders to React Faux DOM

Thanks, will check this out

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Small Brain: first frontend guy reinventing framework as they go in vanilla JS

Large Brain: arguing over React vs Vue

Galaxy Brain: forcing dozens of new hires to use first guy's spaghetti architecture

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Tbh if you can't build a development environment from scratch, starting with mining and refining the raw materials from the pure depths of Earth, you shouldn't be using a computer for work at all
:woz:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This thread might help:
(answer by Dan Abramov):
https://stackoverflow.com/a/30620788

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

JSX rules eff the haters

I maintain some AngularJS projects and directives in HTML are dumb and I hate them and hey now I'm doing some stuff in Vue for learning and I hate directives there too (I like a lot of Vue otherwise tho)

map over v-for anyday

I also cant remember when your JS and data and poo poo is in quotes and when its in braces and the mixture sucks

A real answer about why I like React is that the majority of your logic is just JavaScript and functions and not goofy directives and binding

Switching from Angular 1.x to React was a beautiful experience

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Has anyone successfully mixed Python HTML templates (jinja2/etc) with React? I'm making login and registration pages for my React SPA and it would really help to leverage flask_wtf forms. Currently I have a janky setup where Flask templates set window variables in index.html before I call the React <script>s which use dangerouslySetInnerHTML, and that's clearly stupid.

Broadly, this is about how you mix server-side HTML templating with React JS code. If it's better to learn server-side React stuff then I could do that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Doesn't this work for you? I was using it recently for simple form stuff and it was sooo much clearer than the Angular 1.x way.

https://reactjs.org/docs/forms.html

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Who uses sudo with npm? They deserve it

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anybody here carrying the torch for "Data Visualization" as a job title? I'm in NYC and had luck finding good positions, but I wonder if moving to SF is inevitable (provided DV can stay separate from Data Science at all).

More generally, do you work in a specialized programming job and find it going well / ok / terrible? It's a topic I'd love to hear more about.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

If you want a good job and you live in SF, NYC, or another high-paying developer area then for the love of god learn React (and maybe Vue). And for free, you'll know how to use a good framework for personal projects!

(spoken as someone who used the old Angular for too long)
(spoken as someone who knows nobody using the new Angular at a job)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This is the best book out there

https://www.amazon.com/D3-js-Action-Data-visualization-JavaScript/dp/1617294489

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Anyone have a recommendation for courses in React/Redux/performant JS/frontend/??? My boss wants to spend up to around $1000 on training but I haven't found anything popular that's more than the cost of a few books. Money is no object and I don't know how to leverage that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Jimlit posted:

He wants to spend $1000 to teach someone frontend from the ground up instead of just hiring somebody? This is oozing dumb rear end small business boss energy.

I already know frontend and am mediocre at React, it's more about reaching an expert level in something